Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't bluff android low end except Moto e cant imagine getting lollipop.samsung won't update their device.Only flagship nd Moto will get the update.
From Windows phone

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Don't bluff android low end except Moto e cant imagine getting lollipop.samsung won't update their device.Only flagship nd Moto will get the update.
From Windows phone

Only way to get android update is buy a new phone nd dump your old mid to low end in the garbage.
From Windows phone

HTC is updating several of it's midrange and high end devices. Motorola is updating it's devices. And Android One devices are being updated.

Also considering that the Xperia Z now costs $300, it's also a mid range device, like the Xperia ZR(and others) they also have update to Lollipop confirmed.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012 are devices that are older than 2 years and quite cheap and are getting the update.

When all else failed you brought in Android's upgrade ability, we'll it's gotten a hell lot better than before and there are tons of devices getting the update.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone? Lol.
Anecdotally, the batteries on both my Moto G 4g and L735 last roughly the same amount of time. Until someone tests two phones with identical battery capacity, with identical apps, in the same location, connecting to the same mobile network and with the same services (data, location, bluetooth, etc) turned on, I don't know whether this is true or not.

The fact that Android is more open, people mess with superuser permissions and install applications not from the Play Store is why some users put themselves at risk, Google is not to blame for this.
Google could easily remove the option to install apps not from the Play Store, and could implement the system that WP uses - download, but have to install via the Store app.

I like the openness of Android, but this is its weak point, too.

There are some apps theat claim to be able to root your phone that also install questionable, and hard to remove apps on the phone. XDA will often remove links to these apps.

And there are other things regarding security in Android Lollipop apart from encryption(which WP to the best of my knowledge doesn't have).
Shame WP doesn't have it. I would use it. But then again, if it didn't encrypt SD cards, it would be pretty much useless!

the new ART runtime(upto 4X faster performance)
I've been using ART and the gain in performance is nowhere near as great as this. In fact, I can discern no improvement in speed of any apps.

Using ART means that apps take up more space, AND they take longer to start up (I believe, from what I've read).

Some people will love Android L, some people will hate it, other will be indifferent. Until I try it I won't know where my feeling lie, though from what I've seen, I suspect I will be indifferent.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone? Lol.
Anecdotally, the batteries on both my Moto G 4g and L735 last roughly the same amount of time. Until someone tests two phones with identical battery capacity, with identical apps, in the same location, connecting to the same mobile network and with the same services (data, location, bluetooth, etc) turned on, I don't know whether this is true or not.

This! This is far too often completely ignored. Most reviewers that have compared the HTC M8 for Windows and Android have done so using factory reset devices, which is pretty much the most useless way of comparing battery life (except for those people that don't install any apps at all... for them it's great). I'd like to see a battery life measurement taken with the 100 most popular apps loaded up on each device, with the same apps intermittently being used on both.

Until that happens, we won't really know. On the other hand, the fact that most Android fans believe both will be roughly equal, while most WP fans believe WP will do better, is at least somewhat telling (nobody expects Android to do better).

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
There will actually be more devices running Lollipop in a few months than there will be total Windows Phones being used.

And lots of low end, mid range and high end devices are getting the update.

lol no
dont expect that,its a myth since years
so far apple and microsoft have kept their update cycle promises,android is an absolute joke in this
so ill believe what i see right now and from the past instead of relying on such rumours

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
From Windows phone

i agree with your points but Moto E might actually get 5.0 since its a stock device
dont expect alot of features or performance though just the name tag

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
HTC is updating several of it's midrange and high end devices. Motorola is updating it's devices. And Android One devices are being updated.

Also considering that the Xperia Z now costs $300, it's also a mid range device, like the Xperia ZR(and others) they also have update to Lollipop confirmed.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012 are devices that are older than 2 years and quite cheap and are getting the update.

When all else failed you brought in Android's upgrade ability, we'll it's gotten a hell lot better than before and there are tons of devices getting the update.

^lol
ill believe such things when android fragmentation issues are resolved and all older devices get updates
so far i believe only in MS and Apples update cycles because they have kept their promises
googles is notorious for not

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
This! This is far too often completely ignored. Most reviewers that have compared the HTC M8 for Windows and Android have done so using factory reset devices, which is pretty much the most useless way of comparing battery life (except for those people that don't install any apps at all... for them it's great). I'd like to see a battery life measurement taken with the 100 most popular apps loaded up on each device, with the same apps intermittently being used on both.

Until that happens, we won't really know. On the other hand, the fact that most Android fans believe both will be roughly equal, while most WP fans believe WP will do better, is at least somewhat telling (nobody expects Android to do better).

maybe mobile nations should do this showdown once and for all
we all know windows phone will win in battery life but by how much is the main question
going by my personal phone collection(all 2000mah ironically) i think windows phone is a winner in battery life atleast

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
i agree with your points but Moto E might actually get 5.0 since its a stock device
dont expect alot of features or performance though just the name tag

No, Android does a much better job than iOS and Windows Phone in ensuring that all phones have the same features in any update.

Just as an example OK Google works on low end devices like the Moto G(and E).

lol no
dont expect that,its a myth since years
so far apple and microsoft have kept their update cycle promises,android is an absolute joke in this
so ill believe what i see right now and from the past instead of relying on such rumours

Not a myth. In a matter of months the number of Android phones running the latest OS outnumbers the total number of Windows Phones being actively used.

This happened with KitKat as well.

^lol
ill believe such things when android fragmentation issues are resolved and all older devices get updates
so far i believe only in MS and Apples update cycles because they have kept their promises
googles is notorious for not

"And all older devices get updates".

May I ask do all Windows Phones get the update? All of them?

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-fragmentation-seemingly-impossible-conversation

Fragmentation isn't an issue for the most part, because many consumers don't really care about updates. Google has tried it's best to remedy this and there are devices in all segments(low end, mid range, high end) that get a steady supply of updates.

Fragmentation is complicated and for the most part it has been resolved.

AhmadSorour

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Well people...you have been talking about design,customizability,insecure,apps,lock screen, widgets,
But you never talk about Support or Updates...actually WP Owns Android too hard in that point,when you hear that All Lumias Are getting Windows 10, what about android? Who will get The Android L? As an android user...you are always afraid if the next update is rolling to ur Phone or not...
Also one more thing, To have a GOOD Android WITHOUT Lags, you need to buy a High end one with super specs, Also not receiving updates affects badly on the OS and how smooth it it...but on the other hand,looking at the performance of a Lumia 520 VS the perform an of any other Android Phone with the same Specs, the L520 BEATS the other.
Actually,having a Smooth and fast Phone without lags is more important for me than having a feature packed android phone with lags.
That's my opinion though.
Nvm my English mistakes :)

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Well people...you have been talking about design,customizability,insecure,apps,lock screen, widgets,
But you never talk about Support or Updates...actually WP Owns Android too hard in that point,when you hear that All Lumias Are getting Windows 10, what about android? Who will get The Android L? As an android user...you are always afraid if the next update is rolling to ur Phone or not...
Also one more thing, To have a GOOD Android WITHOUT Lags, you need to buy a High end one with super specs, Also not receiving updates affects badly on the OS and how smooth it it...but on the other hand,looking at the performance of a Lumia 520 VS the perform an of any other Android Phone with the same Specs, the L520 BEATS the other.
Actually,having a Smooth and fast Phone without lags is more important for me than having a feature packed android phone with lags.
That's my opinion though.
Nvm my English mistakes :)
I've used Windows Phone devices, including low end ones and they are by no means lagless. In aspects of multitasking and scrolling they are some of the most terrible I've ever seen.

Also Android users aren't afraid of updates are you make it out to be. Many devices will be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop.

And those that do not get updated will have access to some of the features of Android 5.0 through the Play Store and Google Play Services.

Anything else you would like to talk about?

AhmadSorour

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I've used Windows Phone devices, including low end ones and they are by no means lagless. In aspects of multitasking and scrolling they are some of the most terrible I've ever seen.

Also Android users aren't afraid of updates are you make it out to be. Many devices will be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop.

And those that do not get updated will have access to some of the features of Android 5.0 through the Play Store and Google Play Services.

Anything else you would like to talk about?
I've used Lumia 620,520 and 820 They Never Lagged or had any problems.There are devices that aren't few which didn't get a Kit-Kat, and you ask about the L ?

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I've used Lumia 620,520 and 820 They Never Lagged or had any problems.There are devices that aren't few which didn't get a Kit-Kat, and you ask about the L ?
The number of Android devices outnumber the number of Windows Phone devices, which makes it harder to ensure updates.

That still doesn't mean more Windows Phone devices get the update, more Android devices still get the update but as a whole the percentage is less.

http://youtu.be/_wGJDeUwRxY

Scrolling on a Windows Phone. ^

AhmadSorour

May 1, 2014
Visit site
The number of Android devices outnumber the number of Windows Phone devices, which makes it harder to ensure updates.

That still doesn't mean more Windows Phone devices get the update, more Android devices still get the update but as a whole the percentage is less.

http://youtu.be/_wGJDeUwRxY

Scrolling on a Windows Phone. ^

Didn't face anything like that or didn't even see it with someone I know. And some NOT ALL of the lags o think were related to internet but the phone used to record this is still quite laggy. Don't know why I that happening since 99% of WP users never complain about performance.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Didn't face anything like that or didn't even see it with someone I know. And some NOT ALL of the lags o think were related to internet but the phone used to record this is still quite laggy. Don't know why I that happening since 99% of WP users never complain about performance.
I see quite a bit of people complain about long app launch times and the dreaded resuming issue.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
And just because SOC manufacturers like Qualcomm and Nvidia like to powerful specifications in Android, doesn't mean Android doesn't run smoothly on low end devices.

My experiences...

Low end device - Samsung Galaxy Fame - Single Core. Android Jellybean (Samsung won't release an update to KitKat) is horribly sluggish. Almost unusable after a few apps have been opened and closed. Android simply can't run satisfactorily on a single core device with 512MB RAM. No ifs, not buts, it can't. Period.

Mid range device - Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - Dual Core - Android Jellybean (again, no update from Samsung) runs much more smoothly, on par with a low end WP phone.

Slightly higher mid range device - Moto G 4G - Quad Core - runs very smoothly.

(Incidentally, the camera on the Fame is leagues above the one on the Moto G 4G, but that's another story...)

It's easy to make an OS run smoothly on a well-spec'd device, harder on a low spec'd one. WP manages to run smoothly on low end devices.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss