Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
My experiences...

Low end device - Samsung Galaxy Fame - Single Core. Android Jellybean (Samsung won't release an update to KitKat) is horribly sluggish. Almost unusable after a few apps have been opened and closed. Android simply can't run satisfactorily on a single core device with 512MB RAM. No ifs, not buts, it can't. Period.

Mid range device - Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - Dual Core - Android Jellybean (again, no update from Samsung) runs much more smoothly, on par with a low end WP phone.

Slightly higher mid range device - Moto G 4G - Quad Core - runs very smoothly.

(Incidentally, the camera on the Fame is leagues above the one on the Moto G 4G, but that's another story...)

It's easy to make an OS run smoothly on a well-spec'd device, harder on a low spec'd one. WP manages to run smoothly on low end devices.

YMMV
Again. Everyone keeps bringing in Samsung devices as if they we're representative of all of Android.

Use a stock Android device, it flies. And beats Windows Phone in performance for quite a few things as well.

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Again. Everyone keeps bringing in Samsung devices as if they we're representative of all of Android.

Use a stock Android device, it flies. And beats Windows Phone in performance for quite a few things as well.

coming from a Note 3 to a 1520 and a Nexus 7 2013 as well
touchwiz was surely very bad with its gimmicky features except multiwindows and s pen but stock android 5.0 isnt as smooth and fast as WP or even kit kat for that matter

a bit off topic but should i buy a dell venue pro 8?

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
That's because (here in the UK) walk into a phone shop such *** Carphone Warehouse and it will be Samsung devices that greet you!

Stock android devices are hard to come by. Not even the Motorola phones are stock Android. They are close to stock, but are still impregnated with tens of motorola services and apps.

You want a truly stock Android device? You'll either have to pay a lot more for a decent quality "Google Play Edition" of choose a cheap Chinese OEM phone that stands no chance of getting any official updates.

Even those custom ROMS - Cyanogen Mod, ASOP, ASOKP, Carbon, Slim, etc - are not stock. They come loaded with bespoke services.

Face it, a satisfactory stock Android experience is hard to come by.

To be clear, I'm not a devote follower of Windows Phone. I see plenty of fault with it, aside from the apps issue. Poor calendar live tile (I love Google Calendar's widget), missing features in WP version of apps, poor syncing, quiet hours requires Cortana, which requires location to be turned on and battery saving to be off, poorly implemented notifications, lousy action centre, settings in disarray... I can list as many faults with WP as I can for Android, and just as many good things too.

But having experienced both platforms, WP just feels better thought out, and for me it feels more fluid. When I return to Android after using WP (I use both everyday) I find myself fumbling around in Android.

It will be the market that decides which platform will win. In the past, Windows was inferior to Mac OS, but it won the desktop wars. Android is the new Windows.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
But having experienced both platforms, WP just feels better thought out, and for me it feels more fluid. When I return to Android after using WP (I use both everyday) I find myself fumbling around in Android.

It will be the market that decides which platform will win. In the past, Windows was inferior to Mac OS, but it won the desktop wars. Android is the new Windows.

WP better thought out, seriously? To me it looks like WP is still in repair of itself. dont get me wrong i love the design style of the UI and what MS wants to do with it...but thought out is not what I think of when i had a Windows Phone for the last 2 years. I think it needs to be better thought out and rectified.

As for the last statement, Google is now what Microsoft was in the 90's....thats for sure.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
WP better thought out, seriously? To me it looks like WP is still in repair of itself. dont get me wrong i love the design style of the UI and what MS wants to do with it...but thought out is not what I think of when i had a Windows Phone for the last 2 years. I think it needs to be better thought out and rectified.

WP is not perfect by any means. Stock Android is not perfect either. But of the two, WP for me is better considered. Both of them have areas that feel like they have been poorly cobbled together.

Whatever system a person chooses, I respect that and would not seek to change their mind. I think most people who swap from one OS to another do so for good reasons, and they have considered carefully the reasons for their change.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
i dont quite agree,my Nexus 7 2013 is very slow with Lollipop than my 1520 with WP 8.1 update 1 DP
Nexus 7 2013 and Lumia 1520 have very different specifications, the 1520 is significantly more powerful.

If you we're to compare it to a Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 that would be fair.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
WP is not perfect by any means. Stock Android is not perfect either. But of the two, WP for me is better considered. Both of them have areas that feel like they have been poorly cobbled together.

Whatever system a person chooses, I respect that and would not seek to change their mind. I think most people who swap from one OS to another do so for good reasons, and they have considered carefully the reasons for their change.

Fair enough. It was the "better thought out" statement that through me off guard lol...sorry, i admire and love the Windows Phone UI (much more than Android and iOS) but its a mess by my standards. Agreed Android is not perfect, i can list a lot of imperfections...but i would say its more 'organized' than WP in terms of OS fundamental design and build...but lets be clear, that has come with age and constant fixing, i still consider WP years behind (although thats gone down to a more reasonable 'months' with latest updates) because they started later.

Agreed with last statement, not trying to argue here.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Android 5.0 means nothing until you can get it on your phone, just like windows upcoming new mobile OS. Kitkat is just now making the 30% installed number. Check back in a year or so after Milky way, or M&M, or Milk dud comes out.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Android 5.0 means nothing until you can get it on your phone, just like windows upcoming new mobile OS. Kitkat is just now making the 30% installed number. Check back in a year or so after Milky way, or M&M, or Milk dud comes out.

Huge number of Android devices makes it harder for everyone to get the update. What can't people understand that?

Nonetheless the number of Android devices running Lollipop in a few months will outnumber the total number of *active* Windows Phones.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Huge number of Android devices makes it harder for everyone to get the update. What can't people understand that?

Nonetheless the number of Android devices running Lollipop in a few months will outnumber the total number of *active* Windows Phones.

Yes, in everything android is better right? Even if more than 70% people don't get update on their Android phones, still they come up with a vague reason like this, that android users are more than WP. Well Chevrolet users are more than Ferrari, that means Chevrolet is a lot better than Ferrari, WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss