Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Again. Everyone keeps bringing in Samsung devices as if they we're representative of all of Android.

Use a stock Android device, it flies. And beats Windows Phone in performance for quite a few things as well.

Yes, even when Samsung sells most android phones, it doesn't matter, right? What would you say the performance of other companies who come up with android, are they any better?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey psoham android users don't care for updates because they know updates are not end of the world.They get all the google apps suite in the update of google play services.For those who need updates buy phones with newer android version .They dump those old android phones simple that's why I say even one could buy I phones instead of 3 mid range android in 2 years.at least I phones gives you update.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, even I Samsung sells most android phones, it doesn't matter, right? What would you say the performance of other companies who come up with android, are they any better?
Hey android requires specs to run it without problem.I here talk only about mid range nd low end.I don't know about 4gb phones.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
K android is great in updates lol
I never said that updates are great on Android, but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

When there are a huge number of OEMs producing Android devices, some of them being sub par companies the total number of Android devices running the latest version falls.

But what that doesn't mean is that all Android devices don't get updates. Quality Android devices exist, in all segments of the market which do get updates.

There are companies like G Five(seen it in Philippines), QMobile(Pakistan), Micromax(India) which often never update their devices once they've been manufactured but they still sell like hotcakes.

Google is working on improving these situations, Micromax will improve drastically over the coming months.

I've seen that for the wide majority of consumers updates don't matter as much, but for those that do Android does have phones that do get the latest updates but they often don't sell as well.

Yes, in everything android is better right? Even if more than 70% people don't get update on their Android phones, still they come up with a vague reason like this, that android users are more than WP. Well Chevrolet users are more than Ferrari, that means Chevrolet is a lot better than Ferrari, WOW

Those 70% of devices include millions of devices that are extremely old, or have very weak hardware with owners that aren't willing to upgrade.
May be within 2 years every android will sport 6000 mah battery nd 8gb ram lol.
Yes and Windows Phone will catch up to that, within an year or two. :)

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes great because you can easily get the update by rooting your phone. Lol

That is actually a huge benefit. Once Windows Phones are abandoned, there is almost no way to get it updated to the latest version.

But on Android that's not the case, in fact recently I saw this post on XDA:

74c620c91a0a267b7f0e95fdd044f046.jpg

The HTC Explorer/Pico is a low end device from 2011 with a single core processor which launched with Android 2.3.5 but it got stable versions of pretty much all Android versions that came later and it's got the first port of Android Lollipop.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Lollipop is fascinating. Runs pretty well on the Nexus 4 I have, and overall I like the appearance. But it's not actually *that* great.
The Nexus 6 reviews are so bad in the display, camera and battery departments. And that is why I don't prefer Android. I thought all the ART and Volta stuff was supposed to remedy the horrible battery life but a Note 4 running on KitKat is still better in just about everything, despite Samsung's crap software on top. So I agree with the OP, Lollipop isn't actually *that* big a deal.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Lollipop is fascinating. Runs pretty well on the Nexus 4 I have, and overall I like the appearance. But it's not actually *that* great.
The Nexus 6 reviews are so bad in the display, camera and battery departments. And that is why I don't prefer Android. I thought all the ART and Volta stuff was supposed to remedy the horrible battery life but a Note 4 running on KitKat is still better in just about everything, despite Samsung's crap software on top. So I agree with the OP, Lollipop isn't actually *that* big a deal.

Actually that's quite mistaken. While the reviews of the Nexus 9 are a bit disappointing, the Nexus 6 has received a lot of praise from the majority of reviewers. Including the arguably biased Verge.

The display has been described as beautiful, I haven't come across a place that says it has a bad display. And the battery life is also said to be good enough, not great but not bad either.

And Nexus devices have always received hate in the camera department and I don't see why. There was a guy on these forums called salmanahman(not sure about spelling) who posted a gallery of images taken from N5 and they we're pretty great. I'm sure the N6 will do better.

Project Volta wasn't a silver bullet when it came to battery life, it was a way for devs to code their apps better in an attempt to reduce battery consumption, so the apps are still being optimised to support Volta.

Lastly those aren't the only things that made Lollipop so great. There's tons of other stuff like low latency audio recording, better notifications and power toggles, native screen recording(without root), better security options(like trusted faces, trusted devices and trusted places), device encryption, multi user profiles, screen pinning.

Maybe this update doesn't seem *that* great for you guys because I'm sure that Windows Phone 11 or 12 will get these features. Haha(kidding on the last part, don't take it too seriously)

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I dont see improvements other than UI
lollipop is most certainly a downgrade so far for me
windows phone is rather consistent in comparison and so is ios
android L has some major issues to tackle

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I dont see improvements other than UI
lollipop is most certainly a downgrade so far for me
windows phone is rather consistent in comparison and so is ios
android L has some major issues to tackle
Try comparing a Material Design application like Play Newsstand to a Metro UI application like Bing News.

You'll find that the Material one is significantly more polished and faster, oh and looks better too.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Actually that's quite mistaken. While the reviews of the Nexus 9 are a bit disappointing, the Nexus 6 has received a lot of praise from the majority of reviewers. Including the arguably biased Verge.

I consider AnandTech's reviews to be the most in-depth and unbiased that I've come across.
AnandTech | The Nexus 6 Review

Check out the terrible display calibration and lacklustre brightness (the 930 has a much brighter AMOLED), the average battery life (1520 destroys it in that department, even the N5 has better battery scores), and yes, OIS has greatly helped the Android photography space but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Nexus cameras are that great. Xperia Z3 and most Lumias make far better pictures. Wasn't Lollipop supposed to bring camera improvements? I don't see if that changed at all.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, Lollipop is most certainly a step-up from KitKat was. The design choices look nice and if they stick with it (and don't drop it like they did with Holo), it has lots of room from improvement. Even if running in native code (ART) isn't giving huge battery gains, it's still much smoother than Dalvik, and that I can appreciate. But I still stand by the fact that Note 4 obliterates the N6 in almost all areas of practical use (besides the looks, the N6 is GORGEOUS).

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I consider AnandTech's reviews to be the most in-depth and unbiased that I've come across.
AnandTech | The Nexus 6 Review

Check out the terrible display calibration and lacklustre brightness (the 930 has a much brighter AMOLED), the average battery life (1520 destroys it in that department, even the N5 has better battery scores), and yes, OIS has greatly helped the Android photography space but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Nexus cameras are that great. Xperia Z3 and most Lumias make far better pictures. Wasn't Lollipop supposed to bring camera improvements? I don't see if that changed at all.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, Lollipop is most certainly a step-up from KitKat was. The design choices look nice and if they stick with it (and don't drop it like they did with Holo), it has lots of room from improvement. Even if running in native code (ART) isn't giving huge battery gains, it's still much smoother than Dalvik, and that I can appreciate. But I still stand by the fact that Note 4 obliterates the N6 in almost all areas of practical use (besides the looks, the N6 is GORGEOUS).

If I am not wrong the thread intended to discuss Android 5.0 and device comparisons less, but I'll still answer your queries.

The Nexus 6 is more expensive than other Nexus devices, but it still nearly $200 cheaper than most high end Note devices or even the high end Lumia series, if certain cuts we're made in the display and camera and they don't matter much to people then so be it.

Lollipop wasn't a magical solution to improving camera performance, that's not how things work really but Lollipop did introduce a totally refined camera API, which has allowed people to do this:

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-5-lollipop-camera-api-samples-540858/

Not everyone will benefit from the photography improvements, but those that do know their way around these will definitely benefit.

As far as battery life goes, the Lumia 1520 has the ability to stuff a huge battery into a less powerful package than the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 has too power a much more powerful CPU, GPU, RAM and not to mention that highly pixel dense display. So the fact that the Nexus 6 lasts a day or longer is pretty impressive.

And going onwards Project Volta wasn't a silver bullet either, it will help devs optimise their apps better but that will take time.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
If I am not wrong the thread intended to discuss Android 5.0 and device comparisons less, but I'll still answer your queries.

The Nexus 6 is more expensive than other Nexus devices, but it still nearly $200 cheaper than most high end Note devices or even the high end Lumia series, if certain cuts we're made in the display and camera and they don't matter much to people then so be it.

Lollipop wasn't a magical solution to improving camera performance, that's not how things work really but Lollipop did introduce a totally refined camera API, which has allowed people to do this:

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-5-lollipop-camera-api-samples-540858/

Not everyone will benefit from the photography improvements, but those that do know their way around these will definitely benefit.

As far as battery life goes, the Lumia 1520 has the ability to stuff a huge battery into a less powerful package than the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 has too power a much more powerful CPU, GPU, RAM and not to mention that highly pixel dense display. So the fact that the Nexus 6 lasts a day or longer is pretty impressive.

And going onwards Project Volta wasn't a silver bullet either, it will help devs optimise their apps better but that will take time.

32gb Nexus 6- $649 from Google
32gb Lumia 1520- $585 from Microsoft

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't aware of that, different places different prices. :p

But I'm pretty sure Microsoft/Nokia are shaving off prices just to get it to sell.

My point was that this isn't the Nexus of old, this is priced as a premium device. I can get a comparable Android phone, the LG G3, for roughly 600$.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My point was that this isn't the Nexus of old, this is priced as a premium device. I can get a comparable Android phone, the LG G3, for roughly 600$.

The Lg G3 is not comparable to the Nexus 6 spec wise or performance wise (based on some reviews i've watched). But ya the N6 is expensive for sure, however id take it over any OEM Android anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss