Windows 8.1 vs Lollipop or Kit Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That moment when you realise rooting=dev preview :eek:

Really? Does developers preview allow you to download apps/games from unknown sources? My friend has jailbreaked his 925, he's able to download apps/games that are not available in the store, does DP allow that? Then how's rooting= DP?

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope. What he means is that, dev preview is the closest you get to mess with the Os.

As for your friend, he is just changing the region to download apps.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The hate is strong in you.

Scrolling on Windows Phone smoothly is more of a misconception. If you scroll too fast on Windows Phone the content often disappears, whereas on Android scrolling too fast the GPU may struggle to render content.

I've owned a 520 for a short while, I've also tried a 530. And no both of them we're not flawless in performance, they we're quite terrible and I preferred a Moto E or G over them any day for performance.

Personally if you scroll as slowly as you would on Windows Phone, Android scrolling speed is on par.

Scrolling on Windows Phone - YouTube

On good hardware Android scrolling, app loading and resuming flat out beats Windows Phone in my experience.

Android 5.0 has had a massive boost in scrolling rendering and smoothness as well BTW.

As I said before, IN MY EXEPRIENCE. In which I have a lot, I probably changed devices every 2-3 months on android, because I could never get one that was smooth and fluid. I never had the experience you claim with the imaging not loading. But that's cool. I actually get so much lag on my note running kitkat that It's almost un useable. I guess coming from my smooth nokia, what should I expect. Theres not hate. only towards apple. I hope that android can pull up their socks and make a smooth OS this time around. As all since froyo have been sloppy messes.

I have been running android devices since the original HTC HERO GSM phone. and had about 15 devices since then on android. Pop in 3 Iphones and now the best, windows phone nokias. I had the Samsung ativ S before the 1020s and they were smooth too, just I wanted a quality camera. Something no other phone maker has, only nokia. and more specifically the 1020.

Its not like I bought one android device and said this is ****. I have had many devices. And still do, have 5 android tablets, said phones and one media player running android. It's all collecting dust except for the two onda Ipad clones. I have two of those for my wife and I reading nextissue. I like how the magazines render on the square tablet screen better than on the 16/9 ratio of our asus tablets. We are getting each other surface pro 3s for Christmas this year so that may do in the ondas. I have an acer iconia 500 that I use in my overland vehicles as nav systems which will soon be upgraded to our asus tablets.

Again, I am not some person who just tried android once and said, crap. I have used it pretty well since it was released. I dabbled in the IOS/OSX cult for awhile and that was just horrific. the full windows landscape is the smoothest system overall. Yeah, maybe there are more apps available on android, maybe you can root your phone, whatever. I want to pick up my phone and use it. Not screw with it all day and try to make it smooth and stable with other ROMs and crap like that. I pick up my 1020, its smooth, fast, stable, the call quality is the best of any phone I have owned as is its ability to pull in the signal on the outskirts of tower service. The best device.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
No quiet hours has existed for a few years now, not on Stock Android but in Custom ROMs for Android, like Cyanogenmod. Google may have taken this feature from Cyanogenmod, but no it wasn't taken from Windows Phone.

I don't think so. I once rooted my boss's wife's phone and installed Cyanogenmod but Quiet Hours isn't there.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes android device are best only for tweakers rooters developers who know every trick in the books to optimise ram.For not so smart users get an iphone or wp.If you are rich get only iPhone.If you are going mid range wp is the way to go.android mid range lags after sometime or be prepared to face annoyances.
From Windows phone

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Nope. What he means is that, dev preview is the closest you get to mess with the Os.

As for your friend, he is just changing the region to download apps.

I mean to say he downloads app from unknown sources, the apps which are not available in any region! He has clearly shown me how to jailbreak WP, I prefer using without it!

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Oh my poor friend. Before mindlessly picking up articles from anywhere please research a slight bit more.

Android has no need for a silent mode any longer, we have priority and no notification/sound mode which does the exact same thing:

1416150381314.jpg
1416150394048.jpg

It functions the same way as a silent mode would.

Nope you're saying the opposite way. Scrolling issues, lagging is all part of Android, not WP.
Loading / resuming in WP cannot be termed as lags. If you've downloaded the latest preview for developers update, you would realize that its almost gone now.

Yes indeed. Scrolling on Windows Phone is unmatched, just look here: http://youtu.be/_wGJDePhone

Android IMO has the best scrolling and any of the small stutters you would find have been totally eliminated in Android 5.0, the only app that I would agree is laggy would be the Facebook app.

But it's certainly better than Windows Phone. Pick up a Nexus 5 and a a 1520 and go into an app for like Twitter, I can guarantee a 110% percent that the Android version will scroll much faster.

Or go into the Windows Central app and go into settings and scroll you'll find Android is way better.

Scrolling was once an issue, no longer does such an issue persist.

No rooting allows you to over volt, under volt, over clock or under clock, give you tons of customisation, maybe flash camera improvements, etc.

Rooting is way more useful and advanced than a dev preview.

As I said before, IN MY EXEPRIENCE. In which I have a lot, I probably changed devices every 2-3 months on android, because I could never get one that was smooth and fluid. I never had the experience you claim with the imaging not loading. But that's cool. I actually get so much lag on my note running kitkat that It's almost un useable. I guess coming from my smooth nokia, what should I expect. Theres not hate. only towards apple. I hope that android can pull up their socks and make a smooth OS this time around. As all since froyo have been sloppy messes.

I have been running android devices since the original HTC HERO GSM phone. and had about 15 devices since then on android. Pop in 3 Iphones and now the best, windows phone nokias. I had the Samsung ativ S before the 1020s and they were smooth too, just I wanted a quality camera. Something no other phone maker has, only nokia. and more specifically the 1020.

Its not like I bought one android device and said this is ****. I have had many devices. And still do, have 5 android tablets, said phones and one media player running android. It's all collecting dust except for the two onda Ipad clones. I have two of those for my wife and I reading nextissue. I like how the magazines render on the square tablet screen better than on the 16/9 ratio of our asus tablets. We are getting each other surface pro 3s for Christmas this year so that may do in the ondas. I have an acer iconia 500 that I use in my overland vehicles as nav systems which will soon be upgraded to our asus tablets.

Again, I am not some person who just tried android once and said, crap. I have used it pretty well since it was released. I dabbled in the IOS/OSX cult for awhile and that was just horrific. the full windows landscape is the smoothest system overall. Yeah, maybe there are more apps available on android, maybe you can root your phone, whatever. I want to pick up my phone and use it. Not screw with it all day and try to make it smooth and stable with other ROMs and crap like that. I pick up my 1020, its smooth, fast, stable, the call quality is the best of any phone I have owned as is its ability to pull in the signal on the outskirts of tower service. The best device.

I have had a Nexus 5 for the past few months now, rarely have I ever experienced a lag or shutter.

The only app that displays noticeable stuttering is the Facebook app. Rest is all fine.

Your experience may have been bad, but it's gotten a lot better now.

I don't think so. I once rooted my boss's wife's phone and installed Cyanogenmod but Quiet Hours isn't there.

If I am not wrong Windows Phone got Quiet Hours in Windows Phone 8.1 which was released in 2014.

Cyanogenmod has had it for a while, but here's an article from 2013 about it:

http://www.addictivetips.com/android/cyanogenmod-10-1-complete-review-guide/

Navigate down to the sound heading, or Ctrl+F and find "quiet hours".

Before saying that Android copied something please research about it.

If you are looking for something that has been copied though, please unlock your Windows Phone and swipe down the notification centre with power toggles, you can thank Android for that. ;)

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Nope. On WP, rooting is actually Interop unlock. It allows a LOT of freedom/customisations (custom accents, etc.), editing the registry (bringing almost Android-level freedom) and what not. It is a very complicated process and only some WP7 phones and some WP8 phones (no Lumias--only select Samsung phones pre-WP8 GDR3--even Samsung patched the exploit in WP8 GDR3) can be Interop unlocked using software tools. No Interop unlock for WP8.1 has been known. A minor jailbreak thingy is developer unlock (different from developer preview) which allows to sideload 2 apps on one phone (free for all) or 10 apps on 3 phones (free for students/US$19 for others officially from MS--a Chinese unofficial tool allows free for all, too) on the phone's internal memory. Developer unlock only allows to sideload apps from a PC and requires special deployment software on the PC. Another way to sideload apps is by using a company account and special signed apps which can directly be installed on the phone (no PC needed--like installing .apk files on Android) from the installation file (.xap/.appx).

Developer unlocked phones can install apps from unknown sources. Many people use it to run 1GB RAM patched games on 512MB RAM phones. For example many people installed Subway Surfers on their Lumia 520 long before it was actually available for 512MB RAM phones in the Store. It is unfortunately also used to install pirated apps/games. And Developer unlock is persistent. You can update your device and the phone stays dev-unlocked. Dev-unlocking is sanctioned by MS, unlike iOS jailbreak and WP Interop unlock. Since Interop unlock is not permitted by MS, updates may break the unlock.

A thing more advance than Interop unlock is full unlock (available on select WP7 phones through Custom ROM's) which allows to run .exe files natively like a PC.

Yet another way to download forbidden apps from the Store (like those meant for another phone or OEM) was the fiddler or proxy route. It was used to disguise your WP as some other WP and downloading apps meant for that WP (Like downloading Nokia apps on Samsung or 1GB RAM games on 512 MB RAM phones). It has been patched in WP8.1.

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I mean to say he downloads app from unknown sources, the apps which are not available in any region! He has clearly shown me how to jailbreak WP, I prefer using without it!

If he has a Lumia, most probably he has a developer unlocked phone. (Since Interop unlocking on WP8 Lumias using software tools has not yet been discovered)

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Really? Does developers preview allow you to download apps/games from unknown sources? My friend has jailbreaked his 925, he's able to download apps/games that are not available in the store, does DP allow that? Then how's rooting= DP?

Developer unlocking allows that.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking for the most top notch specifications you'll always see Android killing it.

The 1520 is not a bad device by any means, but if your family does concert to Android I would recommend getting a Nexus 6. It offers much more in a much more pocket friendly price.

Oh and the Nexus 6 won't lag like most people here would make you believe. Samsung devices might, but the rest quality Android devices are safe.

A lot of people have already (rightfully) dismissed OP's notion that because the 1520 is several months old, it is bad. WP runs efficiently, so specs nearly don't matter at all.

The newest android devices will be stuffed full of the newest hardware and they will run the version of android they ship with quite well. But every update of Android adds bloat. Very soon your nexus 6 will be quite laggy, and others will be saying, "oh, sure that old thing lags, but if you get the latest Samsung flagship android which is made of quality hardware, it won't lag!"

Meanwhile, the 1520 will still be as fast as it was the day it launched.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
A lot of people have already (rightfully) dismissed OP's notion that because the 1520 is several months old, it is bad. WP runs efficiently, so specs nearly don't matter at all.

The newest android devices will be stuffed full of the newest hardware and they will run the version of android they ship with quite well. But every update of Android adds bloat. Very soon your nexus 6 will be quite laggy, and others will be saying, "oh, sure that old thing lags, but if you get the latest Samsung flagship android which is made of quality hardware, it won't lag!"

Meanwhile, the 1520 will still be as fast as it was the day it launched.

Efficiently or not, there are things the Nexus can do which the 1520 can't because of the newer specifications. For one thing it supports voice commands even when the phone is off.

It has a 2K display coupled with a Snapdragon 805 processor which allows for faster shot processing and tons of other improvements, and despite graphics already being better on Android the Adreno 420 will also provide a massive boost in graphics quality and speed.

And Android doesn't experience "resuming" and usually gets apps to open up and multitask faster than Windows Phone but still the Nexus 6 will be able to multitask even better because of 3GB RAM.

And lastly your notion about every Android update adds bloat, that is false. Every Android update released in the past few years focuses entirely on making performance better, and this year with 5.0 they have absolutely killed it. It's so smooth and silky, with very few things that they need to iron out, 4.4 was also a major step up in performance from 4.3 and previous versions of Android have done the same.

Also about the bloatware, Android 5.0 actually makes bloatware less of an issue: http://bgr.com/2014/10/29/android-5-0-lollipop-feature/

Also go ask anyone still rocking a Nexus 4 how their phone is running two years later on Android 5.0 and I'm sure they'll tell you how much faster it has gotten compared to the original 4.2

Please for gods sakes educate yourself before spewing out what you consider "facts".

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Efficiently or not, there are things the Nexus can do which the 1520 can't because of the newer specifications. For one thing it supports voice commands even when the phone is off.

It has a 2K display coupled with a Snapdragon 805 processor which allows for faster shot processing and tons of other improvements, and despite graphics already being better on Android the Adreno 420 will also provide a massive boost in graphics quality and speed.

And Android doesn't experience "resuming" and usually gets apps to open up and multitask faster than Windows Phone but still the Nexus 6 will be able to multitask even better because of 3GB RAM.

Please for gods sakes educate yourself before spewing out what you consider "facts".

FHD display at 6" is sharp and consumes lesser battery and resources than 2K. That's an advantage to the 1520, I guess.

Lumia Denim with the updated Lumia Camera (v5) will get all the good Camera-centric features to the 1520 soon (along with passive listening--Hey Cortana). And resuming occurs in 8.0-specific apps. 8.1-optimised apps don't have that issue.

Get your own facts correct, too.

Last edited:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

And lastly your notion about every Android update adds bloat, that is false. Every Android update released in the past few years focuses entirely on making performance better, and this year with 5.0 they have absolutely killed it. It's so smooth and silky, with very few things that they need to iron out, 4.4 was also a major step up in performance from 4.3 and previous versions of Android have done the same.

Also about the bloatware, Android 5.0 actually makes bloatware less of an issue: Android 5.0 Lollipop feature: Play Auto Installs bloatware removal | BGR

Also go ask anyone still rocking a Nexus 4 how their phone is running two years later on Android 5.0 and I'm sure they'll tell you how much faster it has gotten compared to the original 4.2

what???? dude i just saw this and decided to "educate" you
all snapdragon 800 Lumias are getting cortana voice activation when the display is on standby/off
if im not mistaken the Nexus 5 wouldnt be getting "ok google" voice activation when the display is off,itll only work when the display is on
also the "resuming" screen ensures your battery life is top notch
i have yet to see an android device which lasts a day of heavy usage and yet to see a windows phone which dies out in less than a day
also the "high and mighty" display wont make sense on a screen that small,before you "judge" this, the human eye only sees upto a certain resolution so anything above that is wasted and on a 6 inch screen,its even a bigger waste

theoretically if you want to make the best of the higher resolution of say a 4k laptop or a 2k 6 inch screen,the only way is to keep it very far away from yourself
which on a phone display is wasted and is still plausable on a laptop screen where the extra pixels are often needed by film editors etc
android 5.0 doesnt have bloat(yet) because only the stock android devices have got updates right now,so id expect bloat when more devices get updates
it also depends on how one defines bloat,id define bloat as some unneccessary google apps such as hangouts which is a pathetic and unreliable app and alot of smses just disappear within a few hours etc

also since you like to feel android is not bloated
its actually the only phone OS with bloat,unnecessary resource usage,only OS with antivirus,only OS which needs high specs to run etc etc

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
what???? dude i just saw this and decided to "educate" you
all snapdragon 800 Lumias are getting cortana voice activation when the display is on standby/off
if im not mistaken the Nexus 5 wouldnt be getting "ok google" voice activation when the display is off,itll only work when the display is on
also the "resuming" screen ensures your battery life is top notch
i have yet to see an android device which lasts a day of heavy usage and yet to see a windows phone which dies out in less than a day
also the "high and mighty" display wont make sense on a screen that small,before you "judge" this, the human eye only sees upto a certain resolution so anything above that is wasted and on a 6 inch screen,its even a bigger waste
android 5.0 doesnt have bloat(yet) because only the stock android devices have got updates right now,so id expect bloat when more devices get updates
it also depends on how one defines bloat,id define bloat as some unneccessary google apps such as hangouts which is a pathetic and unreliable app and alot of smses just disappear within a few hours etc

also since you like to feel android is not bloated
its actually the only phone OS with bloat,unnecessary resource usage,only OS with antivirus,only OS which needs high specs to run etc etc

Ok Google available to all kitkat devices even moto g.(unlike wp their is no restrictions like sd800 processor's)

TTheir are tones of android devices which can last a day.EExample Sony z3 compact
And almost every wp phone dies within a day.Take l620 .
Dies within 2hrs of 3g browsing.

BUt again you are hater and hater doesn't make any logical comments.All you say about Android are lies but now you are saying lies about wp too.

somanialok

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
One of the feature i think windows should have is plug and play pendrives....which makes android far more usable.. Since my Lumia 925 doesnt have external memory slot, i really need this os option

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok Google available to all kitkat devices even moto g.(unlike wp their is no restrictions like sd800 processor's)

TTheir are tones of android devices which can last a day.EExample Sony z3 compact

BUt again you are hater and hater doesn't make any logical comments.All you say about Android are lies but now you are saying lies about wp too.

awwwwww looks like some high and mighty android user cant accept facts

heres a fun paragraph-
"One hardware constraint I’ve run into is that the Snapdragon 800 in last year’s phone isn’t capable of the “OK Google” always listening function. You actually can enable it in the Google Now settings but it only works when the phone’s display is on"

from this link
https://gigaom.com/2014/11/13/first...lipop-breathes-new-life-into-the-old-nexus-5/

wait if all SD800 lumias will get cortana always listening functionality even when the display is off,why cant the mighty Nexus 5 running the most powerful android L on the same SD800 get it

also my ex had a Lumia 620 it easy lasted her over a day,she used it purely for web browsing,music,calls,whatsapp , 6snap and instagram

too bad people cant accept the flaws of android which are all pros of windows phone

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Moto G gets OK Google because it has a special voice coprocessor. Snapdragon 8xx already has the coprocessor built-in. No other Lumia devices have the coprocessor except Lumia 930/1520. If a cheap Lumia had that coprocessor, even that WP device could get Hey Cortana. It is hardware dependent. Not all KitKat devices have OK Google, either.

You took the specific example of a tiny phone with a tiny battery to compare with a giant phone with an enormous battery. Fair caparison... I beg to differ. I have a Lumia 1020 and get a full day out of it with moderate use. I got my Android friend to try WP by getting him a Lumia 530. The next week the first thing he said was that the battery life is excellent. He says he gets 2.5 days from a single charge with moderate use. So your allegations are false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb