I don't like where MS is going...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, If I'm not mistaken, the earlier versions for office mobile was a whole lot better with more features then the current bare bones striped down version we have today. I remember myself thinking when using office, " couldn't I do... before? Why can't I find those feature anymore?" Then it hits me... Wait, they are missing.

What features were those? I admit I don't use Office a great deal on my phone except to view things, so there might be things I overlooked. I certainly don't recall any user comments/complaints regarding removed functionality for Office Mobile.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen a group so passionate about Microsoft Office. Microsoft is going to update Office for Windows Phone. But it will involve waiting. Microsoft times their Office updates to coincide with the Windows releases. Windows 10 will come out and Office will follow.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the office experience is sub par on Windows Phone. Was pretty disappointed with its limited functionality. One feature that most other suites can do is editing .doc formats that many people still use. Can't do it on Windows Phone.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
What features were those? I admit I don't use Office a great deal on my phone except to view things, so there might be things I overlooked. I certainly don't recall any user comments/complaints regarding removed functionality for Office Mobile.

Why aren't we focusing on other features not just the Office, and to be honest its just another crap from Microsoft since most of us don't really use it and the fact that iPhone has better and will always be better experience than windows phone.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Why aren't we focusing on other features not just the Office, and to be honest its just another crap from Microsoft since most of us don't really use it and the fact that iPhone has better and will always be better experience than windows phone.
I used to use Xbox Music...Now I'm using a combination of MP3Jam and Torrents. I used to use Skype, now I just use Whatsapp. Etc etc.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley's article is telling. If she is getting the same abandonment vibe we "moaners" are getting it speaks volumes about how WP is being perceived in the minds of consumers and tech media. And even if Windows 10 brings a better version of Office (doubtful) we are looking at many more months of negativity for WP as a platform. In that climate how will developers and consumers react? Will they still see WP as an attractive platform to move to?

Intangibles like this coupled with the ever present lack of apps and new exciting hardware may have a bigger detrimental effect than perhaps Microsoft is expecting. And then again as I personally think, maybe they just don't give a toss anymore and are quite content to let ios and android serve as their mobile platforms while they remain dominant in desktop computing.

One thing is clear, even though their current ios/android first strategy may be good for their services, no matter how the spin doctors try to tell it, its not good for WP as a platform or Microsoft's mobile tablet plans. Guess we'll see if Windows 10 truly will be the "savior" of WP or finally confirm it as a footnote in smartphone history.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess W10 will be MS's last chance at redemption, at least for me. If I don't get a 1020 successor soon after Win10 is released, I guess it's back to Android then. And it will be MS's loss, not mine.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I guess W10 will be MS's last chance at redemption, at least for me. If I don't get a 1020 successor soon after Win10 is released, I guess it's back to Android then. And it will be MS's loss, not mine.

I second it if they fail me one more time with windows 10 guess I give Sony a change

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Feel free to buy your Android and iSheep phones then and move on.

These forums will have less moaners and more constructive conversations.

Bye... And close the door on the way out.

Is this your idea of a constructive conversation? @RichardBurt is quite the Windows Phone evangelist.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually, If I'm not mistaken, the earlier versions for office mobile was a whole lot better with more features then the current bare bones striped down version we have today. I remember myself thinking when using office, " couldn't I do... before? Why can't I find those feature anymore?" Then it hits me... Wait, they are missing. I mean, sure, you want people to subscribe to office 365. But wasn't one of the appeal of getting a windows phone the fact that we got to use a fairly feature rich (not expecting the desktop version, but basic stuff like alignment would be nice) office app that other platform had to pay for? Wasn't the point, use a windows phone to get excess to windows services?
The only thing i remember them doing with the ONE update it ever had was remove support for
.doc documents so you could only open .docx

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Wait for 7.5
Wait for 7.8
Wait for 8.0
Wait for 8.1
Wait for 10

8.0 was supposed to be the savior from which 7 started, But it didn't do anything. 8.1 was supposed to be the savior because of 'blue' and the 'Ecosystem' with ties to windows 8.1.....nope. Now 10 is the holy grail.......

At least they skipped 9, there's one less hope to get crushed.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
When you make apps that perform better and are more feature-rich on other mobile OSs than your own WP platform, that should speak volumes on what you feel about your own platform...at least, that's how I see it. If anything, WP users should at least have the same exact experience. It feels like W10 is just an excuse to deter this fact. Sure, what if W10 will bring the best experience? What about the time being? It seems like Microsoft is making moves right now that are counterproductive and downright destructive to WP.

But hey, I'm just a WP user and not a CEO running a multi-billion dollar company. I may not be qualified to make these kind of statements as I don't know about the business model of Microsoft. I am, however, a WP user who is feeling like I am getting the short end of the stick.

BTW, I'm never loyal to any brand for reasons like this. Once I feel WP is no longer for me, I'll move on to another OS...always been like this. I'm very familiar with all three and am not afraid to go and purchase what I believe will benefit me best.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
8.0 was supposed to be the savior from which 7 started, But it didn't do anything. 8.1 was supposed to be the savior because of 'blue' and the 'Ecosystem' with ties to windows 8.1.....nope. Now 10 is the holy grail.......

To listen to this sounds like Microsoft isn't adding any value to their updates. Every update since Windows Phone 7 was launched has added functionality, and has moved the platform forward. It's not like the OS isn't progressing. User demands are moving forward at a pace that is at least as fast as progress on each iteration of Windows Phone. What feature have you been waiting for since 2010, the launch of WP7?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What feature have you been waiting for since 2010, the launch of WP7?

The ability to attach documents and files apart from pictures to a replied email. Editing a forwarded email. Sending pictures at full resolution via email. (Kind of strange such functionality is missing yet Microsoft touts the platform as enterprise friendly when its got one of the least functional email clients imaginable.)

Proper backup and restore functionality
Smart dialing (available in Windows Mobile)

eMike

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The mantra remains for fans as always.Wait for it. Something big will be coming. Wait. Wait. Wait. Soon. Mango, Apollo, Blue, Threshold. When will Microsoft go all in?
Patience game. I like how you doin it, MS. :eck:

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
First let me lay out a few thoughts........

It is close to impossible to bring new users to Windows Phone because the mass thinking on Windows Phone is there is a huge "App Gap". This is not the truth but can we as Windows Phone "moaners" fix this thinking of the people.......No

Can we as Windows Phone "moaners" fix the lack of knowledge of the sales people in the carrier stores and box stores that Windows Phone is a very good Mobile OS.......No

Should someone have raised questions, made complaints, caused a fuss, twisted their knickers when Blackberry started their down hill slide into history as a viable Mobile OS......Oh hell Yes !!!!

Guess what....when the normally Windows Friendly press start to raise questions about how the very people who are holding Windows up, are being treated, or how they see the perception of Windows users is starting to change to an Unfriendly mood.......someone in the seat of power should maybe take a look.

Microsoft was so pleased with itself when it hit 3%...so much so it let loose with Tee shirts saying "We are the 3%". Well that was short lived. after some of the moves they have made. Last I heard it fell back to a 2.5% Market share, and who knows what it will be come Christmas 2014....with no Flagship to offer shoppers.....
Icon.....under a year old and retired
928.....Good but still on the shelf to long.
M8.... Still a good phone, with some neat offerings like the cover.
1520..Yes a good Phone, but not for the average user as 6" isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Maybe if the users of Blackberry has staged a protest or caused a huge fuss when the slide started Blackberry would still be in the mobile phone game, and not looking at how to become a Cloud based company of "services". My case and point is the Blackberry Passport..........really??????? What 10 year old was let loose with the Flat Lego set on that design???
Where will the Last of The Bold and Fire users go when their phone give up the ghost...........Android and iOS more then likely.

Microsoft should be looking hard at keeping the very people they have now, not always asking them to wait....wait....soon....soon.

If we wait any longer, Microsoft will become Cloud Only rather then Mobile First, Cloud First.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
At this point Ms is likely gearing up for win10 so any WP efforts would be focused towards that.

And that's is a horrendous way to work. The real issue is the crap hardware they keep pushing out, because it leaves early WP8 adopters wanting, when considering upgrade options. Microsoft cannot gain mobile traction with this moronic strategy of rebooting every 2 years. Windows Phone 7 had its limitations, so I could accept that transition to make Windows Phone 8 devices support better hardware and updates long-term. However, Microsoft is ignoring the majority of the U.S. customer base by throwing nothing but low-end phones out for emerging markets, and it's going to chase the high-end customers (where margins are likely higher per-device) to the competition. I mean, it's outright pathetic that my contract ended almost a week ago (I've been eligible to upgrade via Next for months, as well), and there isn't even a trustworthy rumor as to what I can replace my Lumia 920 with in the next several months.

I don't like the ignoring of the OS, but I HATE the ignoring of the customers. Windows 10 phones won't sell for jack if Microsoft makes this conscious decision to stop producing quality devices, which makes potential customers ignore the platform, and makes current customers disgusted with the support and longevity offered by Microsoft.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I have actually been quite pleased with 8.1 from the get go. There have been a few too many issues reported, but thankfully I have not really had problems myself. My concern is the attention devoted to other platforms at the expense of their own. You put your time and money into those things which are important to you. For MS, both are functions of employee tasking. It is quite obvious based upon what we have seen that MS is not as concerned with improving the WP experience as they are in getting their services to people on android and iphone.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
First let me lay out a few thoughts........

It is close to impossible to bring new users to Windows Phone because the mass thinking on Windows Phone is there is a huge "App Gap". This is not the truth but can we as Windows Phone "moaners" fix this thinking of the people.......No

Can we as Windows Phone "moaners" fix the lack of knowledge of the sales people in the carrier stores and box stores that Windows Phone is a very good Mobile OS.......No

Should someone have raised questions, made complaints, caused a fuss, twisted their knickers when Blackberry started their down hill slide into history as a viable Mobile OS......Oh hell Yes !!!!

Guess what....when the normally Windows Friendly press start to raise questions about how the very people who are holding Windows up, are being treated, or how they see the perception of Windows users is starting to change to an Unfriendly mood.......someone in the seat of power should maybe take a look.

Microsoft was so pleased with itself when it hit 3%...so much so it let loose with Tee shirts saying "We are the 3%". Well that was short lived. after some of the moves they have made. Last I heard it fell back to a 2.5% Market share, and who knows what it will be come Christmas 2014....with no Flagship to offer shoppers.....
Icon.....under a year old and retired
928.....Good but still on the shelf to long.
M8.... Still a good phone, with some neat offerings like the cover.
1520..Yes a good Phone, but not for the average user as 6" isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Maybe if the users of Blackberry has staged a protest or caused a huge fuss when the slide started Blackberry would still be in the mobile phone game, and not looking at how to become a Cloud based company of "services". My case and point is the Blackberry Passport..........really??????? What 10 year old was let loose with the Flat Lego set on that design???
Where will the Last of The Bold and Fire users go when their phone give up the ghost...........Android and iOS more then likely.

Microsoft should be looking hard at keeping the very people they have now, not always asking them to wait....wait....soon....soon.

If we wait any longer, Microsoft will become Cloud Only rather then Mobile First, Cloud First.

Recently, the MS CEO has gone on record to say that what he means by "mobile first" is not hardware specific. He considered MS and its products to be what he calls "enablers" on any OS platform that will enable users to do what they want to do. He has, in the same interview, gone on to say that the specificity of the hardware is not a high priority (or something to that effect) in the current and emergent scheme of things in MS. This was in an interview he gave either in the UK or to some UK media houses. I'll try and find the appropriate link (I think Thurrott mentioned this on his blog). I must say that when I read this, I was disappointed having just bought the Nokia 830!!!! In effect, what I understood the MS CEO was saying that it did not matter what platform I am on, as long as I used MS services, he (and MS) was OK with it. If that is so, then why would I compromise with a sub-par App Store with Windows Phone. I'd rather buy an iOS or Android phone and benefit not only from the much richer App Stores that each of those platforms have but also be able to us the core MS apps that I need for my day to day work. I am not quite sure what else to make of the MS CEO's words.

Edit: The only way that I have been able to justify the Nokia 830 purchase which will now have to last me till Oct. 2015 (unless I drop it and break it irreparably) is that it is the last of the Nokia hardware and as such, it is very good. It is extremely well made and in that sense I am very happy with it. But as we all know, the hardware is only 50% of the story. I will have to most likely look elsewhere for the rest 50% of the story (the app and eco-system). By the time I am ready to buy a new phone, hopefully Windows 10 would have been released and the MS posture - at least in the mobile phone space - would have become much clearer than what it is today.

GoNokindow

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

To be quite honest. I really don't remember anymore. It was quite some time ago. What i do remember was thinking that after the update there were some things missing, like certain editing i couldn't do anymore. I know its not really a solid answer. I couldn't put my finger on it too back then. Who knows... Maybe its all in my head. Maybe I'm just going crazy from all this waiting?! Lol.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05