Should I go to iPhone since it has better MS Office and Skype?

cdanieljohn

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, i feel like microsoft does better things on cross platforms.
Like ms office which is really for windows then they released it for iphone. It's even a better one.
Yes, ms office on iphone is better than ms office on windows phone.
Should i leave my lumia 525 for an iphone? Will it be worth it?
Half a year ago a bought my lumia 525 to try windows phone.
My plan was after i get used to windows, i'll buy a higher windows phone.
But i stumbled on this article and made me think twice http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213489/microsoft-leaves-windows-users-in-the-cold
I used to be an iphone 4 user, then lumia 525, right now i'm still undecided...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should i go to iphone since it have better ms office and skype?

Well if that suites you better then I would say switch to the iPhone

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If that's what you want than yeah. If you're one of those people that just suckers into all the drama and what people say. I'd wait til Windows 10, we'll get an even better Office then. If you just want an immediately better Office and Skype, then sire, switch. It's on you.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Which platform is better is really up to the end user. So if reading an article vs you trying it first hand and then deciding, is all it takes, go for it. I could care less how it performs on another is. I'm not switching for one program.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Well I do agree with the OP, Skype experience is better on the iPhone, not sure about Office though. Either way, no OS is good or bad. It's a very subjective matter (Amoled vs IPS LCD) and really varies from individual to individual.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

As the others say, it's up to you and how important these apps are to you, as well as the features the other platforms have vs Windows Phone.

I personally can live with them. Like you I am concerned that Microsoft treats Windows Phone with equal parity and I hold hope that these apps will be improved in the coming months or in Windows 10, which will be available to your and my phone. If not, then I think is the real time to start getting more concerned...

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Personally I think ms Office being available cross platform is of a minor concern and is over blown. Don't get me wrong, I use MS Office every day on my laptop and desktop, and I have used it on my iPad and surface. However as a heavy user of office I would never base my os phone or tablet preference on the current features of office available on them.

For myself even office on a tablet is painful to use and on a phone is a non starter except for very very basic editing.

So if office usage is a necessity I would be considering what form factor I really intend to use it on.

musikHersteller

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

Probably depends on two factors which is personal opinion: 1. Do you enjoy the Windows experience? 2. Do you believe Microsoft still supports their own products with other products of theirs?

If yes, I'd stay with Windows phone. If not, and those apps are important, see if something else works better for you. Microsoft is supporting cross platform better than most other companies, so right now, you can't really lose.

Personally, I like Windows phone. The apps will improve over time, and the experience of Windows and Microsoft products will really only get better.

mandong

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

I have an iphone but I don't even bother myself with Office since I can view Office docs anyway with the native viewer. But if your phone is your only device to edit Office docs, then you should switch.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Well, i feel like microsoft does better things on cross platforms.
Like ms office which is really for windows then they released it for iphone. It's even a better one.
Yes, ms office on iphone is better than ms office on windows phone.
Should i leave my lumia 525 for an iphone? Will it be worth it?
Half a year ago a bought my lumia 525 to try windows phone.
My plan was after i get used to windows, i'll buy a higher windows phone.
But i stumbled on this article and made me think twice Microsoft?s Android and iOS focus leaves Windows users in the cold | The Verge
I used to be an iphone 4 user, then lumia 525, right now i'm still undecided...

In addition to what musikHersteller said, the latest 8.10.14203.306 preview update improved the performance of the apps, particularly the over-all phone responsiveness and app load time. For example, Skype (and all memory-intensive chat apps) is now a lot better and app switching now loads more quickly almost without the time-consuming, finger-straining "Resuming" prompt.

Improvements will be coming to Windows Phone; Windows 10 is just around the corner (we just don't know how many corners away it is yet).

I think that a bit of patience would pay off in the long run, and I'd be not obsessed too much about which platform is "better" and start switching between them as frequently as the tides come and go - it's not our wallets that'll thicken after all.:cool:

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

The only thing is Microsoft's lack of support can be annoying. While it isn't a deal changer, I did have an experience recently where I couldn't edit a word document because it was too complex. A word editor on Blackberry however was able to edit the same document. That kind of thing can be annoying when it does occur as your expectations are that it being Microsoft's own platform, files like these should definitely work!

cdanieljohn

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
If that's what you want than yeah. If you're one of those people that just suckers into all the drama and what people say. I'd wait til Windows 10, we'll get an even better Office then. If you just want an immediately better Office and Skype, then sire, switch. It's on you.

Thanks for pointing that out, i'll wait for windows 10 then.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Will u regret your decision in 6mos when win10 has the superior ms app experience?
What if win10 isn't the holy grail game changer that all the wp fanboys like to believe?
I dunno why everyone thinks this.... Theres no telling what it's going to be like
In 6months time. If we were to go by MS track record i wouldn't hold my breath.

rospower96

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
What if win10 isn't the holy grail game changer that all the wp fanboys like to believe?
I dunno why everyone thinks this.... Theres no telling what it's going to be like

We like to be optimistic :D for me windows 10 is there last chance and I think I'm not the only one that thinks like that and Microsoft knows that. If they balls it up I will switch to Ubuntu and Ubuntu phone

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Even if its not, its still a hell of a lot better than ios or android.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty easy to forget the fact that Microsoft aren't really in the business of denying it's products/services to anyone if they can at all help it; they'd much rather their services be used by as many people as possible across a wide range of platforms.

As I pointed out in one of the numerous other "Verge says Microsoft is killing their own platform" FUD threads, the Windows App team work on a different time-line to the Windows OS team (and yep, Office Mobile is still part of the OS (not app-based like Music, Facebook, etc).

It really doesn't make sense that the team developing the Office apps for other platforms should sit around on their hands waiting for Windows 10 to be released.

The fact that another platform has a better version of an app shouldn't be a reason to get rid of your device. The only reason to move would be if another platform offers a feature or app that you really can't live without (like Candy Crush Saga).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster