01-08-2015 12:45 PM
61 123
tools
    Good god, please not that. The more removed Windows Phone is from Windows the desktop OS, the better.
    11-18-2014 04:02 PM
    One of my friends with iPhone always shows me beautifully designed apps for iOS with cool animations and transitions, and all Wp apps except CocktailFlow maybe are static ugly and with crappy design. Even this panorama thing could not fix the situation.. Why is that. Are there any cool apps for WP that I dont know like badass animations and design? For example IMDB and LinkedIn apps were kinda a cool when were released and now are absolutely the same almost 4 years.. WTF
    There is an easy solve for this!!!!! Move to IOS :p
    11-18-2014 04:33 PM
    "Hey you guyzzz, where are all the fugly transparencies and pastel rainbow colors!!"

Not all WP as are pretty, but same for iOS. Both OSes have gorgeous apps available. WP apps can be, and some are, far more attractive than iOS apps.

I think the OP is on Crapple Cracks.
    11-18-2014 04:39 PM
    I really like the aesthetics of windows phone. Many of my friends always thinks it's ugly, but it is so simple looking, and I find that beautiful. And so what it maybe isn't pretty, but it works. No other reason iOS and Android are switching to flatter, simplified looks.

I think the MSN apps are good looking too, but those apps have a certain continuity, unlike all other third party apps (let alone if you compare a lot of different apps) so I understand your point. Google is doing that nicely with lollipop, the continuity. But still, that is only on there own apps, don't know if many store apps are going to look like it too...
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-18-2014 04:41 PM
    I love the looks of most of the apps. Look at WhatsApp, WP version is 10x times better looking than iOS and 50x times better than uglydroid.
    I did not know that I honestly never examined it on those two OSes and I thought that WP's was always behind them in terms of quality whether it be visual or functional.
    11-18-2014 04:47 PM
    @OP: One of the reasons I intend to stick with WP as long as I can is the beautiful interface with consistency between apps and functions. It is bold, refreshing, easy to use. I believe in function over glitz, but WP delivers both.

When I use a friend's Android for whatever reason, I can't wait to get back to my phone!

Do keep in mind that as someone above suggested, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's subjective.
    11-18-2014 04:57 PM
    OP, the apps on WP may be uninspired but judging from the shift to its design language you could argue it's inspiring. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Guytronic, a5cent, L Beezy and 1 others like this.
    11-18-2014 05:15 PM
    6:27AM is pretty well done.
    FourTonMantis and neo158 like this.
    11-18-2014 09:27 PM
    I came for the white on black. Those pastels do absolutely nothing for me. Different pictures with text on them isn't what i'd consider good design, but lack of creativity. Any app can have a picture background with text on it. Any app can throw on translucency too.

If you're looking for translucent pastels, you're using the wrong os.
    11-18-2014 10:00 PM
    So I followed your link OP seeing as it said top 10 beautifully designed apps. Wooow! You and I sure have different views of what beauty is. In my opinion WP has the better designed apps which I really enjoy using.
    11-18-2014 10:20 PM
    So I followed your link OP seeing as it said top 10 beautifully designed apps. Wooow! You and I sure have different views of what beauty is. In my opinion WP has the better designed apps which I really enjoy using.
    I thought the same thing. Most of those apps looked remarkably cluttered and confusing. But that's the fundamental issue here. The OP has a completely different aesthetic, and for that reason, should consider just jumping ship to an iPhone. I can't think of anybody else on the forum who would agree that Windows Phone should change its elegant design to the iPhone's design, regardless of what you think of it.
    nohra and neo158 like this.
    11-19-2014 12:55 AM
    Can you, please, stop putting Android in the discussion. I don't think I was comparing wp to Android at all, but to iOS..
    11-19-2014 02:12 AM
    Can you, please, stop putting Android in the discussion. I don't think I was comparing wp to Android at all, but to iOS..
    In the long run, it doesn't matter. You're calling for a change in design to mimic another operating system. In your case, iOS. But if you want that kind of design, you should get an iPhone. Otherwise it's like going to Thailand and demanding the architecture be more Western. The design language is part of the reason hardcore Windows Phone fans are fans at all.
    ajb1965, kristalsoldier and nohra like this.
    11-19-2014 02:44 AM
    The eff? Windows Phone has to have some of the most beautiful apps of the three major mobile OSes.

Look at 24 for Facebook, or Magnify, or JobLens... then there's MixRadio, OneMusic, MyTube, FhotoRoom, Caledos Runner, Mobli, Designer Clock, Infinite Game Stream, MovieJax... I could do this all day. Even our default music app looks great.

This thread's premise is just plain wrong. WP has strikingly good-looking apps and a design language that's been raising eyebrows since it was the Zune.
    Ebuka Allison and neo158 like this.
    11-19-2014 03:07 AM
    The eff? Windows Phone has to have some of the most beautiful apps of the three major mobile OSes.

Look at 24 for Facebook, or Magnify, or JobLens... then there's MixRadio, OneMusic, MyTube, FhotoRoom, Caledos Runner, Mobli, Designer Clock, Infinite Game Stream, MovieJax... I could do this all day. Even our default music app looks great.

This thread's premise is just plain wrong. WP has strikingly good-looking apps and a design language that's been raising eyebrows since it was the Zune.
    To add to that list, Poki, Reading list, Readit, Chronos Calendar, Design Me, Chain, Black, Blue Skies, Endomondo, Tweet it, Xbox Video etc.
    Windows Phone apps have great design.
    neo158 and RohitRajendran like this.
    11-19-2014 06:52 AM
    Does anyone actually use Facebook Paper? Would anyone actually admit to using it?
    I do, it's my default Facebook app. The regular Facebook app - on any platform - is a pile of rotten dung and with Paper I don't have to have a separate app for Facebook and Messaging; it's still built-in to Paper.

And for what it's worth? Pretty much all the Microsoft apps are way better looking on iOS than on WP... OneNote, Office, Skype, for instance, all look better on the iPhone. Hopefully Microsoft will change that with Windows 10.
    11-19-2014 09:26 AM
    I do, it's my default Facebook app. The regular Facebook app - on any platform - is a pile of rotten dung and with Paper I don't have to have a separate app for Facebook and Messaging; it's still built-in to Paper.

And for what it's worth? Pretty much all the Microsoft apps are way better looking on iOS than on WP... OneNote, Office, Skype, for instance, all look better on the iPhone. Hopefully Microsoft will change that with Windows 10.
    Lol Android users have our Xbox live app.
    11-19-2014 12:01 PM
    I love the white on black screens, and the consistency between apps' interfaces. It makes using the phone more efficient. I don't have to waste time trying to find a button to perform action X because on WP the action X button is always the same.

It bugs me, though, that some MS apps have different coloured live tiles that don't adopt my background of choice. I have set my home screen background to dark grey, but Here Maps and Lumia Camera are blue and purple respectively.
    a5cent likes this.
    11-19-2014 01:09 PM
    Gotta get Transparency Tiles. :)
    11-19-2014 01:22 PM
    The recent CBS local news app is a gorgeous example of an app done right on Windows Phone. Your argument is invalid. lol.
    neo158 and GSOgymrat like this.
    11-19-2014 01:29 PM
    In this thread, I learn people will make justifications for anything...
    11-19-2014 01:48 PM
    in general bing apps are very nice and well done just move back and ahead and in general are nice than android ones, but would be desirable had some effects at least in entrance an app , metro design is simplistic but yet nice, do not get me wrong not in vain Android adopted their "material design" inspired in windows phone visuals but with some transitions and effects. the lives tiles too are nice sometimes can get monotonous but are nice to watch from a glance the tile news or sports or money for watch what i left pinned i wish the other apps like twitter had an descent live tile and at least some features additionals that the peer of android have.
    11-19-2014 08:17 PM
    Let me sum up this whole discussion succinctly:

A majority of us on this forum think WP apps look great, hence we support the ecosystem.

You seem to think iOS apps are beautiful, so why not switch to an iPhone?

Honestly, what else needs to be said?
    11-20-2014 08:55 PM
    I wonder how many people are using other platforms in addition to Windows Phone. The Facebook app for iPad is a joke, especially after the most recent update that was released on 11/19/14. There have been so many complaints that it has an average rating of 2 stars. The fault lies with Facebook as they publish their app directly to Apple. The Twitter app isn't much better, it gets 3.5 stars. My point is in this discussion is that shows on other platforms, apps even the big name ones aren't always the greatest our very useable.
    11-21-2014 01:49 PM
    I wonder how many people are using other platforms in addition to Windows Phone. The Facebook app for iPad is a joke, especially after the most recent update that was released on 11/19/14. There have been so many complaints.
    The Facebook app sucks on all platforms. I've got it on my iPhone, my droids, and my Lumia and I hate it on every single one.

It's a shame, because it used to be really good on WP when it had it's own metro style look to it (and messaging that didn't require a whole 'nother damn app). I really wish they would've elaborated upon the version of FB that fit the Zune-style design language of WP.
    11-22-2014 07:02 AM
61 123