Apps on Windows Phone are ugly and uninspired

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
One of my friends with iPhone always shows me beautifully designed apps for iOS with cool animations and transitions, and all Wp apps except CocktailFlow maybe are static ugly and with crappy design. Even this panorama thing could not fix the situation.. Why is that. Are there any cool apps for WP that I dont know like badass animations and design? For example IMDB and LinkedIn apps were kinda a cool when were released and now are absolutely the same almost 4 years.. WTF

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Really? Try looking at the home screen of an ios device for 10 seconds and see if anything happens. I couldn't care less what animations happen in the app as long as it does what it's suppose to and works efficiently so i'm not on the phone forever doing when I need to. I have a Surface Pro 3 for most of my time.

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I love the looks of most of the apps. Look at WhatsApp, WP version is 10x times better looking than iOS and 50x times better than uglydroid.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't find them ugly. At times, they are skeletal, but they aren't ugly. If this is how you feel, then it's time for you to move on, but that design language is everybody else seems to like about WP.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Come on you cant be serious.. Have you ever seen these ios apps? They are gorgeous with precise design

some examples..
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/03/top-10-most-beautifully-designed-apps.html

Just the fact that everyone of those examples looks and feels completely different is enough to put me off. It's as if they're all fighting over how a good UI should work and look. More consistency! I don't want my computing devices to make me feel like I'm at a bazaar.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
When I run an app I want it to perform a job or function as efficiently as possible. Adding pretty animations and other fluff only eats resources that could impact the quick operation of the app.

Cute and pretty animations are a thing of the past. Even computers are getting away from them as they serve no function and eat resources. iOS and Android both look antiquated compared to the modern UI of Windows devices.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
One of my friends with iPhone always shows me beautifully designed apps for iOS with cool animations and transitions, and all Wp apps except CocktailFlow maybe are static ugly and with crappy design. Even this panorama thing could not fix the situation.. Why is that. Are there any cool apps for WP that I dont know like badass animations and design? For example IMDB and LinkedIn apps were kinda a cool when were released and now are absolutely the same almost 4 years.. WTF
Not sure if the app developers will see your post. You should contact them.

Wonder which platform has the most or highest percentages of ugly apps? With over a half million WP apps and a lot more iPhone apps, it would be a monumental task to figure it out even if people could agree on what is ugly. Would take almost 9 years just to look at a half million apps for 8 hours a day.

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
When I run an app I want it to perform a job or function as efficiently as possible. Adding pretty animations and other fluff only eats resources that could impact the quick operation of the app.

Cute and pretty animations are a thing of the past. Even computers are getting away from them as they serve no function and eat resources. iOS and Android both look antiquated compared to the modern UI of Windows devices.

I dont think the iphone is somehow not capable of handling the cool animations in terms of resource management.. on the other side microsoft own apps have resuming/loading screens.. the smoothness you are implying is long gone with wp7. Windows Phone version of Flipboard doesnt even have the flipping cool animation.. its a basic example

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Come on you cant be serious.. Have you ever seen these ios apps? They are gorgeous with precise design

some examples..
Top 10 Most Beautifully Designed iOS Apps :: Design :: Lists :: Paste

http://i.imgur.com/A8pxhiI.png[/IMG]"]

Sorry...couldn't resist.

But honestly, 4 of those are purely "navel gazing" apps. Does anyone actually use Facebook Paper? Would anyone actually admit to using it? And a task list that uses "Buy a new toothbrush" for its promo? And a wake up app that sings the time, day, and weather?

Come to think of it, that last one would be good to prank people with.....

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If those 10 apps for iOS are the most beautifully designed I would hate to see any others. The only one in that list that doesn't look like it was designed by a 3rd grader in art class with a new set of pastel chalks is Yummly, and that sounds like it was named by that 3rd grader. Food and Drink on WP looks just as good as Yummly (LOL) and has more functionality.

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I occasionally game, flip through some news, or use instant messaging. Frankly, I like my apps not to have much noise in them and get the job done. Around the past 3 months back I used to think like you.. but we came a long way. Seen UC Browser for wp 8.1? I think it's a beautiful design. WhatsApp looks great too (I find it better than the Android/iOs versions). Viber got updated today, and I like the new feel. What's the use of a beautifully designed app if you're rarely even going to use it? :straight:

Joshua Mahlombe

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Minimalism is not always everyone's cup of tea. But most WP users love the clean design with as less clutter as possible. Even iOS and Android are now moving towards that style. Any OS will have its fair share of poorly deigned apps. iOS and Android too.

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has made some great designs using its own Modern design languge, such as in the Xbox One Smartglass App or Mixradio. It just that the default templates that Microsoft had made for app development in my opinion are very antiquated now. so I believe that one Microsoft updated these templates for developers we can see some all-round very beautiful and simplistic apps. in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro