Apps on Windows Phone are ugly and uninspired

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has made some great designs using its own Modern design languge, such as in the Xbox One Smartglass App or Mixradio. It just that the default templates that Microsoft had made for app development in my opinion are very antiquated now. so I believe that one Microsoft updated these templates for developers we can see some all-round very beautiful and simplistic apps. in the future.

I'd love to see you reveal some more of your thoughts on this. What would be the three things you'd change about the metro design language, or the Visual Studio templates, to make it easier for developers to provide more modern and better looking apps?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
IMO WP apps are the best looking as they all use the same font and what not. I have yet to see any unity in anything in IOS or Android. WP is unified all the way across platform. Which is way more "beautiful" than anything on my IOS/Android deveices. and Yes I have all 3.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
WP had the best looking apps........ Only when the developer puts effort into it, for example swarm, Viber, health and fitness, Rudy's 6apps. I find that when Windows phone apps use the Windows 8 layout, they look much nicer. Maybe apps can be more like Windows store apps in Windows 10

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
One of my friends with iPhone always shows me beautifully designed apps for iOS with cool animations and transitions, and all Wp apps except CocktailFlow maybe are static ugly and with crappy design. Even this panorama thing could not fix the situation.. Why is that. Are there any cool apps for WP that I dont know like badass animations and design? For example IMDB and LinkedIn apps were kinda a cool when were released and now are absolutely the same almost 4 years.. WTF

There is an easy solve for this!!!!! Move to IOS :p

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
"Hey you guyzzz, where are all the fugly transparencies and pastel rainbow colors!!"

Not all WP as are pretty, but same for iOS. Both OSes have gorgeous apps available. WP apps can be, and some are, far more attractive than iOS apps.

I think the OP is on Crapple Cracks.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I really like the aesthetics of windows phone. Many of my friends always thinks it's ugly, but it is so simple looking, and I find that beautiful. And so what it maybe isn't pretty, but it works. No other reason iOS and Android are switching to flatter, simplified looks.

I think the MSN apps are good looking too, but those apps have a certain continuity, unlike all other third party apps (let alone if you compare a lot of different apps) so I understand your point. Google is doing that nicely with lollipop, the continuity. But still, that is only on there own apps, don't know if many store apps are going to look like it too...

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I love the looks of most of the apps. Look at WhatsApp, WP version is 10x times better looking than iOS and 50x times better than uglydroid.

I did not know that I honestly never examined it on those two OSes and I thought that WP's was always behind them in terms of quality whether it be visual or functional.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
@OP: One of the reasons I intend to stick with WP as long as I can is the beautiful interface with consistency between apps and functions. It is bold, refreshing, easy to use. I believe in function over glitz, but WP delivers both.

When I use a friend's Android for whatever reason, I can't wait to get back to my phone!

Do keep in mind that as someone above suggested, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's subjective.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
OP, the apps on WP may be uninspired but judging from the shift to its design language you could argue it's inspiring. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I came for the white on black. Those pastels do absolutely nothing for me. Different pictures with text on them isn't what i'd consider good design, but lack of creativity. Any app can have a picture background with text on it. Any app can throw on translucency too.

If you're looking for translucent pastels, you're using the wrong os.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
So I followed your link OP seeing as it said top 10 beautifully designed apps. Wooow! You and I sure have different views of what beauty is. In my opinion WP has the better designed apps which I really enjoy using.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So I followed your link OP seeing as it said top 10 beautifully designed apps. Wooow! You and I sure have different views of what beauty is. In my opinion WP has the better designed apps which I really enjoy using.

I thought the same thing. Most of those apps looked remarkably cluttered and confusing. But that's the fundamental issue here. The OP has a completely different aesthetic, and for that reason, should consider just jumping ship to an iPhone. I can't think of anybody else on the forum who would agree that Windows Phone should change its elegant design to the iPhone's design, regardless of what you think of it.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Can you, please, stop putting Android in the discussion. I don't think I was comparing wp to Android at all, but to iOS..

In the long run, it doesn't matter. You're calling for a change in design to mimic another operating system. In your case, iOS. But if you want that kind of design, you should get an iPhone. Otherwise it's like going to Thailand and demanding the architecture be more Western. The design language is part of the reason hardcore Windows Phone fans are fans at all.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The eff? Windows Phone has to have some of the most beautiful apps of the three major mobile OSes.

Look at 24 for Facebook, or Magnify, or JobLens... then there's MixRadio, OneMusic, MyTube, FhotoRoom, Caledos Runner, Mobli, Designer Clock, Infinite Game Stream, MovieJax... I could do this all day. Even our default music app looks great.

This thread's premise is just plain wrong. WP has strikingly good-looking apps and a design language that's been raising eyebrows since it was the Zune.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The eff? Windows Phone has to have some of the most beautiful apps of the three major mobile OSes.

Look at 24 for Facebook, or Magnify, or JobLens... then there's MixRadio, OneMusic, MyTube, FhotoRoom, Caledos Runner, Mobli, Designer Clock, Infinite Game Stream, MovieJax... I could do this all day. Even our default music app looks great.

This thread's premise is just plain wrong. WP has strikingly good-looking apps and a design language that's been raising eyebrows since it was the Zune.

To add to that list, Poki, Reading list, Readit, Chronos Calendar, Design Me, Chain, Black, Blue Skies, Endomondo, Tweet it, Xbox Video etc.
Windows Phone apps have great design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss