Why is Windows better than Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
We are replacing setups at work that had a desktop and an iPad with SP3s with docking stations and an attached big monitor. We have also replaced a few notebook/dock setups. And we are also planning on targeting some desktop replacements with the same setup where it would be an advantage to be mobile at times.

So it has been incredibly productive/efficient for us. Users love both modes of operation.

ok-

but what is being done on the surface tablets that is your definition of 'productivity' ?

:) thanks

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
that's interesting. a few weeks ago i watched the neighborhood kids shoot and edit a video in a decently entertaining movie of their creek exploration. i didn't realize video editing was possible previous to that, but apparently it is. maybe you have an application that works on desktops that isn't available for other platforms ?

interesting again, i am using flash on my hackintosh currently, it works pretty well. EDIT- i see you're refering to the ipad, not mac os, ok, i got it now :)

for the few win32 applications i'm still in need of- i run xp in a vmware session on my hackintosh. so far the only program i have that requires this is Odin, for flashing android phones prior to being rooted.

i've never met steve jobs, or seen the pickle you mentioned, so i can't really confirm or deny, myself.

HE hated flash for some reason, it works fine, and still does. too bad for anyone using an apple mobile device.

And yes, I was talking about Apple mobile. the OSX is still garbage, but better than IOS devices.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
ok-

but what is being done on the surface tablets that is your definition of 'productivity' ?

Obviously at his workplace, work that could not be done on ipads considering they had notebooks to do their main work and ipad to look at stuff.

The surface pro replaces both notebooks and tablets with one device that mops up both.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
ok-

Sure. Was on mobile last night so didn't want to type out a detailed explanation.

I am the IT Director for a multi-location, multi manufacturer auto dealership. When you drop your car off for service, most manufacturers now require us to do a walk around "courtesy" inspection with the customer. These used to be paper based, now they have pretty much moved to electronic form - the iPad part of the example. There are some real advantages to this - once the VIN is entered, it can be compared to mfg info on recalls outstanding vs recalls performed as well as a warranty work history, and mileage/maintenance schedules. Again, most manufacturer's initially implemented this with iPad apps. But in order to create a service ticket/work order/schedule the tech, dealers still had to return to a desktop as there are no DMS (dealership management system) apps that are functional on iPad (or OSX for that matter).

However, most of the iPad inspection apps have become abandonware as most manufacturers have now implemented the same - and even better - functionality into their web portals that dealers use. A device like the SP3 becomes a slam dunk as we can perform both tasks with one device - faster and easier for us and the customer. Most of the iPad inspection apps were pretty horrid as well - the back end integration with the manufacturer's data was very hit or miss.

Another example: our parts department. Parts catalogs run as local web servers on our parts workstations. We've tried a few notebooks with an eye on allowing the parts person to be mobile and go to a service tech if there were questions rather than vice-versa (which interrupts a lot of work flow), but that was still pretty awkward. Once again though, an SP3/dock setup really enables that mobility in a way that even a notebook could not.

I have people beating a path to my door wanting this type of setup, not because its cool, but because it works.

And of course, we have some executive situations where again, SP3/dock enables mobility while still maintaining the workstation setup with a workhorse device. I even have some used retina MacBooks to rehome now (we were using Parallels with a Win7 image to enable our DMS access on them).

But, for me, the really interesting observation has been the improvement (visually and functionally) within the manufacturer's web portals to the point that they feel comfortable abandoning their iPad efforts.

Looking ahead, we have an "open" sales floor - meaning all the sales people are at work areas in the open on the showroom. Some dealers use closed bullpens. I can see us assigning an SP3 type device to a salesperson and just having docks placed around where we normally/now have desktops. Perhaps fewer "hard points" for a sales person to connect and sit at a desk and stare at a monitor and keyboard and more "soft" casual areas for people to sit and converse and connect with each other.

Last edited:

Gibreel Abdullah

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine goes around 30 hrs easily (with normal usage). Without using it goes to about 2 days.
wp_ss_20141204_0001.png

Had the same problem before. Did a factory reset. worked fine after that

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
their web based pricing site needs flash so Mac is SOL again since jobs had some sort of pickle up his *** over flash. 90 percent of web based content still use flash so mac users are left out in the cold again with that.

I don't think you're correct there. Macs run Flash without a problem...

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Being productive means, doing things that give you an end result, for me its editing photos and videos that I have shot with my camera and phone. You can't do that on the ipad. I am comparing the SP3 and Ipad because they are in the same segment. Tablets. Everyone keeps spouting Ipad is the greatest tablet which is far from the truth if your not blinded by the apple logo. The ipad is no better than a leap pad for kids. You cannot plug in hard drives, printers, scanners etc, you cannot edit photos that were not shot on it, You cannot attach a proper keyboard and have it work as one unit, with extra battery power. There is no extra storage options. Shall I go on? The screen on the SP3 is bigger, and then we have the actual Wacom pen interface. This is where the SP3 really steps up. Editing photos with pen interface like the "pros" do on their add on units to their computers, Is included in the package with the surface. Add awesome note taking and manipulation with the pen and its just hands down a better machine than an I pad.

I also work for the company that bought my Steel building contruction business in which I price buildings for them, and I cannot do that on an ipad, or any mac for that matter as the software is windows only, but even their web based pricing site needs flash so Mac is SOL again since jobs had some sort of pickle up his *** over flash. 90 percent of web based content still use flash so mac users are left out in the cold again with that.

So, yes, I AM VERY PRODUCTIVE with my windows tablet compared to when I had my ipad.

Does this hamper your video and photo editing at all?...The One (And Only) Deal-Breaker That Killed the Surface Pro 3 ? Daniel Ehrman

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you're correct there. Macs run Flash without a problem...

Flash does not work on IOS at all. not without some janky app to run it.

and no, Flash does not suck considering approx. 90 percent of websites use it in some fashion. making viewing or whatever impossible on any mobile apple product.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Never seen this issue on any SP3 I had in my hands. All had crystal clear accurate graphics and reproduction.

I am waiting for mine to arrive. I bet I will not have any issues with this. I probably used a dozen of them in different capacities before pulling the trigger on two. I tried everything on them, HD video playback, photo viewing, ( I could not get into photo editing because of software not being able to be loaded on them in store.)....But I could play with the included softare and all was smooth, polished and looked great with no "green bands" this person was talking about.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Sure. Was on mobile last night so didn't want to type out a detailed explanation.

I am the IT Director for a multi-location, multi manufacturer auto dealership. When you drop your car off for service, most manufacturers now require us to do a walk around "courtesy" inspection with the customer. These used to be paper based, now they have pretty much moved to electronic form - the iPad part of the example. There are some real advantages to this - once the VIN is entered, it can be compared to mfg info on recalls outstanding vs recalls performed as well as a warranty work history, and mileage/maintenance schedules. Again, most manufacturer's initially implemented this with iPad apps. But in order to create a service ticket/work order/schedule the tech, dealers still had to return to a desktop as there are no DMS (dealership management system) apps that are functional on iPad (or OSX for that matter).

However, most of the iPad inspection apps have become abandonware as most manufacturers have now implemented the same - and even better - functionality into their web portals that dealers use. A device like the SP3 becomes a slam dunk as we can perform both tasks with one device - faster and easier for us and the customer. Most of the iPad inspection apps were pretty horrid as well - the back end integration with the manufacturer's data was very hit or miss.

Another example: our parts department. Parts catalogs run as local web servers on our parts workstations. We've tried a few notebooks with an eye on allowing the parts person to be mobile and go to a service tech if there were questions rather than vice-versa (which interrupts a lot of work flow), but that was still pretty awkward. Once again though, an SP3/dock setup really enables that mobility in a way that even a notebook could not.

I have people beating a path to my door wanting this type of setup, not because its cool, but because it works.

And of course, we have some executive situations where again, SP3/dock enables mobility while still maintaining the workstation setup with a workhorse device. I even have some used retina MacBooks to rehome now (we were using Parallels with a Win7 image to enable our DMS access on them).

But, for me, the really interesting observation has been the improvement (visually and functionally) within the manufacturer's web portals to the point that they feel comfortable abandoning their iPad efforts.

Looking ahead, we have an "open" sales floor - meaning all the sales people are at work areas in the open on the showroom. Some dealers use closed bullpens. I can see us assigning an SP3 type device to a salesperson and just having docks placed around where we normally/now have desktops. Perhaps fewer "hard points" for a sales person to connect and sit at a desk and stare at a monitor and keyboard and more "soft" casual areas for people to sit and converse and connect with each other.

This would be a good marketing campaign for Microsoft I believe showing how the sp3 works in a workplace!

PetrFodor

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
What I hate on Androids and love on Windows Phone is a simple fact that I understand the UI from the very beginning. At Android I get lost on every second screen because it feels to me very inconsistent and geeky.

As a designer I also appreciate the look and feel of Lumia phones, it's simplicity and clear curves are much more elegant than e.g. Samsung phones.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
agreed. I love my 1020s chasis. You don't have to have the thinnest, because its harder to hold. the 1020 feels solid and substantial in your hand without being to big, but its not so small that its fumbing around in your hands all thd time.

The windows UX is the best by far.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The surface pro 3 is the best tablet available. And arguably the best piece of computing tech available now regardless of segment. The power, convertability, features and the complete package uses the ipad as a door mat. Compared to the surface pro, the ipad is a childs toy. You can acutally be productive doing various things that the ipad can only dream about.

I have an asus vivotab RT and this tablet is miles ahead of the ipad we have. Again, not even in the same ball park of the productivity you have on windows based tablets compared to IOS (fisher price).

I think your a bit misguided on iOS and Mac OS. you can edit video and photos on iOS. Its probably still better on the surface, but you can still do it. Also, since when has flash EVER been a selling point? Its one of those old internet remnants that most would rather forget. And Mac can still do it, you just can't use safari. But you can just use chrome on the Mac.

And how is iOS "fisher price"?

Also, I keep hearing people using words like productivity and work when it comes to the surface and windows, but what about FUN? seriously, how is that enjoyable?

I know were on a windows site and all, but we shouldn't spread misinformation. Instead, what about windows is better? We can discuss that. And how does productivity and work make it enjoyable to use? I care more about that then work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb