I hate goodbyes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
You gotta do what you gotta do!

Its seems MS does not put a lot of effort into it's App Store. It is scare because the UK has almost 10% market share - I think the highest in the world. (anyone verify this?)

If they don't cater to local businesses - they will lose this. And probably don't care.

But MS is is pretty clear they are going after services - so they will cater to Android and IOS before they make apps for WP.

I hope they make your apps - and you can hang around for the 1030 (or whatever is next).

Mr. V

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to come back to this forum and let us know what the battery life is like compared to 1020!

Battery life seems absolutely excellent! Was about 51% charged out of the box and hours of use have barely affected it.

Just to add to my earlier comments regarding the battery.

I cannot get over just how good the battery life is on this thing. To put things in perspective, I've barely used my 1020 today and it was fully charged this morning thanks to being charged through the night. Earlier this evening I heard the customary low battery warning and my Z3 is still going strong. Astounding, especially considering it being a new phone and I've barely put it down.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought the z3 suppose to have a decentish camera (but never expected 1020) and certainly not expected it to be "dreadful". Perhaps some settings somewhere you need to adjust? Any chance of a photo of comparision if you still got your 1020 in the same lightening conditions as Z3?

Quite surprise garmin doesn't work - after all - shouldn't the compatiability problem just boils down the bluetooth support/version?

You'll have to come back to this forum and let us know what the battery life is like compared to 1020!

You gotta do what you gotta do!

Its seems MS does not put a lot of effort into it's App Store. It is scare because the UK has almost 10% market share - I think the highest in the world. (anyone verify this?)

If they don't cater to local businesses - they will lose this. And probably don't care.

But MS is is pretty clear they are going after services - so they will cater to Android and IOS before they make apps for WP.

I hope they make your apps - and you can hang around for the 1030 (or whatever is next).

Mr. V

Cheers. I've been stunned by Microsoft's approach to the UK market. They just seem completely disinterested.

Whatever changes they make now are probably too late for me to stick with WP but I'm fairly confident.....
bach1.jpg

...if things improve! :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll sort some comparisons out later. I tried manual settings as well as the superior mode. Manual was better but the reds were way off. I would've accepted (a little begrudgingly) the trade off in quality compared to the 1020 and there is a bit difference in that respect alone but the colour issue is something else.

Battery life seems absolutely excellent! Was about 51% charged out of the box and hours of use have barely affected it.

Call quality is absolutely crystal too.

Being a recent owner of a Z3 myself I find it a bit strange you're having issues with the camera. Yes the Z3 isn't the 1020 in terms of camera but I don't seem to have the same problems you seem to be having. I am not by any stretch a professional photographer and wouldn't even classify myself as armature but I don't have many issues with the picture quality with the Z3. I also believe in doing my own post processing, as most professional photographers do, so I don't get hung up on immediate results as I notice people do on with smartphone cameras.

I'd like to see your shots and comparisons when/if you do post some.

I think personal preference in how something looks is simply that. :)

It's unfortunate that your Garmin app seems to be having issues. A bit sad that they're a touch behind with updates. Hopefully they fix it soon.

One of the key things for me that you touched on is battery life. I'm very happy with battery. Coming from a slowly dying L920 it's been a weight off my shoulders no longer needing to stress about my battery.

Overall I'm quite happy with the Z3 myself and I think it's a wonderful phone. Very stylish. I haven't fully left WP as I've kept my L920 to see what W10 is like but I won't fully go back to WP, if I go back, until another two years. I don't change phones that often. I guess we'll see.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Cheers. I've been stunned by Microsoft's approach to the UK market. They just seem completely disinterested.

Whatever changes they make now are probably too late for me to stick with WP but I'm fairly confident.....
http://thehandup.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/bach1.jpg

...if things improve! :)

I totally agree. I've notice a lot more advertising on TV and in general but it's taken some time to get to this point. I'm not sure what to make of the Cortana bike stunt thing. I've been curious as to when they'd get a MS store here and Bing rewards...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Where you getting this info? You seem to know stuff that no site does.

Erh, no.
Just my personal views, I know the 1020 replacement is pretty well ready, but I THINK, next year there will be more surface branded devices coming to market. It would be in MS best interest to do this. Have a complete business package of devices.

Er......you never know.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to my earlier comments regarding the battery.

I cannot get over just how good the battery life is on this thing. To put things in perspective, I've barely used my 1020 today and it was fully charged this morning thanks to being charged through the night. Earlier this evening I heard the customary low battery warning and my Z3 is still going strong. Astounding, especially considering it being a new phone and I've barely put it down.

Huh? The 1020's battery isn't supposed to run down that fast if not used much...

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Huh? The 1020's battery isn't supposed to run down that fast if not used much...

That was my point. I did use the 1020 until the mid-morning when the Z3 arrived but it really wasn't used much from that point on but by the early evening, battery saving mode was activated. I spent hours playing with the Z3 and it hardly dented the battery.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That was my point. I did use the 1020 until the mid-morning when the Z3 arrived but it really wasn't used much from that point on but by the early evening, battery saving mode was activated. I spent hours playing with the Z3 and it hardly dented the battery.

I think Bahamen is getting at the fact that that is unusual for the 1020. How old is your device? It could just simply be broken.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As I was reading the OP's post, winamp changed track to "An End Once and For All" by Clint mansell and Sam Hulick... lol talk about coincidence!

Hopefully you don't get the issues sorted with your new phone, at least we would see more pictures like these (link below) :p (I'm kidding :winktongue:). Hard to imagine your not a pro photographer... seriously, I was able to convince a few people to take the plunge in getting the 1020 using the pictures in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/233015-pictures-video-taken-your-1020-a.html. Also one of my former colleague's took the plunge after seeing the 5th and 8th photo in the linked post -
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/233015-27.htm#post2167677 (took me awhile to find what he was talking about when I asked him what made him take the plunge). Now how am I going to explain.. that the 1020 has been EOL'd.... :grincry: damn you Microsoft!!!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
As I was reading the OP's post, winamp changed track to "An End Once and For All" by Clint mansell and Sam Hulick... lol talk about coincidence!

Hopefully you don't get the issues sorted with your new phone, at least we would see more pictures like these (link below) :p (I'm kidding :winktongue:). Hard to imagine your not a pro photographer... seriously, I was able to convince a few people to take the plunge in getting the 1020 using the pictures in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/233015-pictures-video-taken-your-1020-a.html. Also one of my former colleague's took the plunge after seeing the 5th and 8th photo in the linked post -
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/233015-27.htm#post2167677 (took me awhile to find what he was talking about when I asked him what made him take the plunge). Now how am I going to explain.. that the 1020 has been EOL'd.... :grincry: damn you Microsoft!!!

I've got 'So Long, Farewell' from the Sound of Music pumping out of the speakers right now. Spooky or what? ;)

Thanks for the kind comments about my photos and I'm glad they helped someone else go for the 1020. It's a great phone and the OS absolutely deserves to have more support from third parties and services. If that was the case, I'd be sticking with it.

There's plenty more 1020 photos on my Twitter feed so feel free to take a look.

I'm sure things will work out eventually on the Z3. I'm extremely happy with the phone and it's marvellous to have all the apps I need at my fingertips. Granted, it's annoying that the Garmin app doesn't quite work as it should but I'm confident that will be resolved. As for the camera, well it kinda sucks and is filled with quite a few gimmicky type apps that may please some, but they don't make up for the lack of image quality which is, imho, the single most important thing about a photo. Have to say that some of the lenses type apps on the Z3 are impressive though. The Sweep Panorama app is an absolute joy to use compared to the ones on WP and the kids love the AR Effect app.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
According to dxomark, I have the 4th best camera/smartphone available. 7 places higher than the 1020. I should be over the moon with the camera on this phone.

The reality just makes even more of a mockery of dxomark.

Autofocus is fast and shot to shot times is what most people would expect from a high end smartphone, but beyond that I'm struggling to think of anything that beats the 1020. Some of the lenses apps are good but then again, the 1020 has loads that are first rate.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think Bahamen is getting at the fact that that is unusual for the 1020. How old is your device? It could just simply be broken.

14 months. I don't think it's faulty. It seems to be par for the course that it needs to be charged overnight and sometimes during the day depending on usage. Even though I wasn't using it very much when I was playing with the Z3, wifi was still enabled so there was probably quite a few background tasks running. That said, the Z3 is light years ahead with power management.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've got 'So Long, Farewell' from the Sound of Music pumping out of the speakers right now. Spooky or what? ;)

Thanks for the kind comments about my photos and I'm glad they helped someone else go for the 1020. It's a great phone and the OS absolutely deserves to have more support from third parties and services. If that was the case, I'd be sticking with it.

There's plenty more 1020 photos on my Twitter feed so feel free to take a look.

I'm sure things will work out eventually on the Z3. I'm extremely happy with the phone and it's marvellous to have all the apps I need at my fingertips. Granted, it's annoying that the Garmin app doesn't quite work as it should but I'm confident that will be resolved. As for the camera, well it kinda sucks and is filled with quite a few gimmicky type apps that may please some, but they don't make up for the lack of image quality which is, imho, the single most important thing about a photo. Have to say that some of the lenses type apps on the Z3 are impressive though. The Sweep Panorama app is an absolute joy to use compared to the ones on WP and the kids love the AR Effect app.

Haha, that is pretty spooky and your welcome mate.

Until MS get their finger out and push the rtm button on W10, I don't think there will be any movement to take note of until then. I would have checked the twitter feed out if I did have twitter, however if by any chance I do sign upto twitter - will check it :).

Good to here your happy with your new phone and cheers for the pointers in regards to the Z3, will look at those on a friend's Z3 compact over the weekend (though I think he was going to trade it in for the 6+) . I don't think any point n' shoot will compare to the 1020 (yet), who knows what will happen next year.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Photo comparison time...

Not the greatest examples but two photos taken in the same conditions. The difference in colour is stark to say the least:
DSC_0004.jpgWP_20141204_14_06_50_Pro.jpg

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Haha, that is pretty spooky and your welcome mate.

Until MS get their finger out and push the rtm button on W10, I don't think there will be any movement to take note of until then. I would have checked the twitter feed out if I did have twitter, however if by any chance I do sign upto twitter - will check it :).

Good to here your happy with your new phone and cheers for the pointers in regards to the Z3, will look at those on a friend's Z3 compact over the weekend (though I think he was going to trade it in for the 6+) . I don't think any point n' shoot will compare to the 1020 (yet), who knows what will happen next year.

I'm pretty new to Twitter myself and I'm happy to admit that I don't use Facebook or any other social media sites. I decided to get Twitter in order to share my 1020 photos. By the way, you can still view my photos without registering an account.

Also, by the way...I wasn't listening to The Sound of Music :)

I hope MS will eventually get there. 3 (or more) rival platforms equals a healthy competition where the end user wins imo. As it stands, we have an open Android leading the way with iOS which is fairly locked down and restrictive then WP which is treated like a red headed step child. Poor analogy I know but you can't say ginger these days ;) Choice for users is a bit limited even though there are an endless stream of Android phones and regular-ish iPhone reincarnations, I think people should have more choice and it would be great if app choices on those platforms were on a level playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs