I hate goodbyes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I still don't get the point of saying 'goodbye' to a platform. If it does not fit your need then, switch. As simple as that. I appreciate your time to share your thoughs but.. it is not neccesary really.

Android this, Android that... ios this..ios that..
oh god lol

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have had a 1020 since it was launched in the UK and for me it's still the best phone. I had a brief flirtation with a Z2 but I couldn't live with the camera.

I found that colours were faded and it struggled with reds. I was very disappointed with it. As a phone it was great, as a camera not so much. It's the same camera that the Z3 has I believe.

I'm holding out for a 1030. The camera is more important to me than apps although I have all the apps I need. The kids grow up too quickly not to have the best photos I can of them.

Arup Roy Chowdhury

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
The Z3 has a different lens at 25mm and the ISO sensitivity is at 12800 compared to Z2's 3200. The SONY is a tricky affair and consistency in auto mode is an issue. One needs to manipulate the settings in manual and then it rewards with fantastic pictures. If there was no 1020, I would be using the SONY but in manual mode.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I still don't get the point of saying 'goodbye' to a platform. If it does not fit your need then, switch. As simple as that. I appreciate your time to share your thoughs but.. it is not neccesary really.

Android this, Android that... ios this..ios that..
oh god lol

Thanks for the feedback. Shall I just pm any potential future thread ideas to you so you can decide if they're necessary first?

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Just to make matters worse, I noticed a hairline scratch on my Z3 earlier. Absolute ****-take. I've been extremely careful with the phone over the past few days and yet I have what seems to be a very shallow, 2-3 inch long scratch on the display.

I'd return it just for that reason! lol

If it's O2 they won't even care or check it on return.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Really struggling with the keypad on the Z3. I thought it would be much easier considering the screen size but so many typos and the auto-correct and prediction is absolutely dreadful compared to WP.

My brother suggested SwiftKey but I'm having the same problems with that.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
nick_1020, I share your thoughts as well. I was looking at the Z3 Compact a couple weeks ago as well. My phone is on its last leg so looking for a replacement. The screen on my L1020 is popping out of the polycarbonate casing.

dsjtech

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I am seriously pondering a goodbye of my own. Like you I find the WP8.1 OS superior in function and aesthetics to Andriod or iOS. The fact that most apps are initially developed only for Android and iOS is a mild source of frustration but, one that I could live with. Updates/feature improvements of apps (like Evernote) seem to lag behind these platforms as well. The major point of contention for me is the pitiful functionality of Microsoft Excel on WP8. The inability to complete basic functions such as inserting rows and freezing panes bothers me to the core (even when I don't need to use them). In setting up a new LG 8.3 tablet for my mother [Christmas gift] I found an elegant and robustly functional MS Office tool [POLARIS Office 5] that exceeded my expectations for using Excel on mobile. It is a sad day for Microsoft when they can't compete with 3rd party mobile app developers. My Lumia 928 has served me well and has been a great phone (especially after I updated it to 8.1). It is running an update as I write this that I hope will bring much needed improvements to their mobile platform. If all remains status quo for the next month - I will likely make the jump to an LG G3 (got one for my wife) or the Samsung Note4.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Sluggishness is not the only cause - the user interface in Windows Phone 8.1 is categorically "worse" than 8.0, with many of the core apps far more cluttered than the "Metro" design paradigm originally called for. The Xbox Music app is a great example of this - it's difficult to navigate, cluttered, and bug ridden.

But yes, obviously nobody expects a "next generation" operating system to be 100% perfect on "older" model phones -- but the ".1" in "8.1" would imply that it's merely an incremental update rather than a full next gen release, would it not? :)

Exactly my situation and why I left WP for Android until I see what Windows 10 offers. I was OK with the Application offerings on WP, but 8.1 Official made my Lumia 1020 a laggy, freezing, inconsistent mess. Prior to 8.1, my 1020 was running great...even on the Developer Preview it was pretty stable. But then official with Cyan came along, man...tons of black screens, freezing, restarts, laggy start menu, "resuming..."...and the final frustration for me was the lack of rendering done on IE. I dont know what happened but many websites i used to visit stopped displaying properly, just making browsing on the device a pain...and browsing is what i used my device mainly for, aside from calls and texts.

I accepted that maybe it was my device, but saw others also complaining...i was fed up. I am open minded and excited to see what MS doesnt with W10...but this 8.1 drove me nuts.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am seriously pondering a goodbye of my own. Like you I find the WP8.1 OS superior in function and aesthetics to Andriod or iOS. The fact that most apps are initially developed only for Android and iOS is a mild source of frustration but, one that I could live with. Updates/feature improvements of apps (like Evernote) seem to lag behind these platforms as well. The major point of contention for me is the pitiful functionality of Microsoft Excel on WP8. The inability to complete basic functions such as inserting rows and freezing panes bothers me to the core (even when I don't need to use them). In setting up a new LG 8.3 tablet for my mother [Christmas gift] I found an elegant and robustly functional MS Office tool [POLARIS Office 5] that exceeded my expectations for using Excel on mobile. It is a sad day for Microsoft when they can't compete with 3rd party mobile app developers. My Lumia 928 has served me well and has been a great phone (especially after I updated it to 8.1). It is running an update as I write this that I hope will bring much needed improvements to their mobile platform. If all remains status quo for the next month - I will likely make the jump to an LG G3 (got one for my wife) or the Samsung Note4.
The new version of MS Office for Android (I'm on the preview) is quite nice and if that's what's coming to WP then it will start to cripple the competition.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No! Touchwiz is hellish....

I've heard that too, but now that I'm actually using Touchwiz I rather like it. I'm temporarily using a Verizon Galaxy S4 until I receive my Nexus 6. The S4 was released in April 2013, so it's 20 month old technology. This phone performs flawlessly. I have absolutely no complaints about Touchwiz, or Samsung, or Verizon. I came from a Nexus 5, so I know what fast, smooth, Touchwiz-free performance is.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Good luck, I had to use my note for 2 wks after dropping my 1020. I was ready to hang myself. Slow, buggy, camera is crap, battery life is crap.

good luck again.

Thanks. I've only heard good things about the Note 4 and the camera seems to be quite good. No doubt there are users having issues with certain aspects..whether that is down to a dodgy device, user error or the OS, who knows, but it's worth a shot.

I hope it works out as I'm running out of options otherwise! :)

maggotbeer

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I own a Lumia 1520 and a Galaxy s4 and while I enjoy using Windows more than Android I still use the s4 as my daily driver, mainly due to its more modest size. I keep the 1520 at home unless I carry a bag with me (which is quite often). Anyway, my experience with the s4 has been pretty great. I experimented with a few custom ROMs in the past but I returned to the official ROM lately. Touchwiz is not the most beautiful skin out there but performance wise it isn't nearly as bad as people say. Having used Cyanogenmod and the Google Play Edition ROM I can say that the difference in performance is hardly noticeable. I think you will enjoy your Note 4!

The galaxy s4 has a great camera (in good lightning conditions) and the Note's is a lot better so I believe that you won't be disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12