I hate goodbyes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Been hearing/reading some good things about TouchWiz on the Note 4. Again, I'm a bit of a noob with it but the video reviews of the Note 4 look pretty positive.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The Note 4 experience has been very good so far. Beginning to understand some criticism on TouchWiz as it's a little laggy at times...not a huge amount though. Overall, I'm loving the Note 4. It looks great, camera has performed pretty well so far and performance wise, it's very nippy (except the very occasional lag from TouchWiz).

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
One annoyance has been the mobile data usage. The Note somehow managed to get through over half a GB in an hour or so even though I was at home and connected to wifi. It seemed the Store was responsible for most data so I've restricted that to wifi if available.

I seem to be getting on a lot better with the built in keyboard on the Note than the Z3 which is good news though.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Also thinking about selling my 64GB unlocked yellow 1020. If anyone's interested, I will post a thread in the marketplace forum.

Comes with camera grip, charging shell and plate and maybe some other accessories.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Meh, i used to prefer SwiftKey but the new stock Android Google keyboard is excellent without lag and very fluid, even the wipe texting works great.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Still going strong with the Galaxy Note 4 but for some unknown reason, my posts keep disappearing from this forum without any explanation.

Nice one WP Central. Really appreciate that.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Still going strong with the Galaxy Note 4 but for some unknown reason, my posts keep disappearing from this forum without any explanation.

Nice one WP Central. Really appreciate that.

I certainly appreciate any input about your new devices. It's good to hear what a former WP user thinks of other options. Good luck.

Rockstar Beaver

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I just recently said good bye to Windows Phone (for now) as well. I am rocking an HTC One M8. There are things that I miss about Windows Phone (ie: Live Tiles, the keyboard) but overall I am enjoying Android so far. I do appreciate the WP community and I will continue to visit the site/forums. I do like the direction Microsoft is headed as well. I do believe in about 5 years, O/S are not where the money is going to be it will be the software on them, cloud and business customers. Microsoft knows this and preparing for it.

​Cheers

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love the Note 4 and appreciate the image quality it has given me on the whole. I don't mind admitting that I favoured the 1020 for my Christmas morning photos. The manual controls and xenon flash made capturing the kids tearing the wrapping paper off their pressies a breeze. The Note 4 would have struggled to get one decent photo in the same conditions.

That said, it felt so weird handling the 1020 after a couple of weeks of using the Note 4. It felt tiny in comparison! Also, the auto focus time on the 1020 felt like a lifetime compared to the zippy Note 4.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to a Note 4 from a Lumia 1020 on Christmas Eve. I took it intending to test it for 14 days. The first thing I did was install the Google Now launcher so I didn't have to use Touchwiz. It's really an excellent device, the best I've ever had.

The camera is very good, it takes some lovely photos and there is an argument that it's a better every day camera as it's quicker, has a burst mode, etc. Obviously when it comes to ultimate quality the 1020 is king but as an overall package the Note 4 wins.

However, I still find myself reaching for the 1020 and I'm unsure why. The Note 4 may or may not be returned.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to a Note 4 from a Lumia 1020 on Christmas Eve. I took it intending to test it for 14 days. The first thing I did was install the Google Now launcher so I didn't have to use Touchwiz. It's really an excellent device, the best I've ever had.

The camera is very good, it takes some lovely photos and there is an argument that it's a better every day camera as it's quicker, has a burst mode, etc. Obviously when it comes to ultimate quality the 1020 is king but as an overall package the Note 4 wins.

However, I still find myself reaching for the 1020 and I'm unsure why. The Note 4 may or may not be returned.

I haven't had any second thoughts with the Note 4 as yet. It truly is a fantastic device and the camera produces some amazing still shots. Ok, so it can't handle movement very well but I'm hoping Lollipop will change that with more camera controls. Even then, it still won't have the ability that the 1020 has with the xenon flash but that is an acceptable compromise...especially as I'm in the process of convincing the missus that a dslr would be a perfect addition for the family ;)

I may check out the Google Now launcher. I have Nova installed but tend to use TouchWiz...I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about. Seems quick enough and easy to navigate so far.

I tried the Z3 before going with the Note 4 and as much as I love using the phone, it just didn't tick all the boxes for me. Really glad I made the switch. I hope you find the phone that meets your needs. Please keep us posted :)

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

You keep taking the 1020 as, even though its an older device, it still bests most of whats available today. The camera is uncomparable, its the perfect size (thinner is not always better), WP is much better than android, and its an all around awesome device. There are cool things about the NOTE most "noteably" the pen. I did enjoy using it for certain things. There are a few apps not available on WP on Android. Nothing that I NEED to be happy.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I've had a lot of devices over the years, came to Windows Phone 8 from a Droid Bionic to a Verizon 822. I jumped over to the 928 once it came out as well. I truly enjoyed the experience but at this point and time, Windows Phone has lost support from 2 apps that I use almost daily. American Airlines (I fly every Monday and Friday) and even when it was on Windows Phone, the performance was lackluster at best. But I figured, I can manage, I'll just stick to printing boarding passes at home or at the airport. Then Chase hung up the gloves and that was the death nail for me. I live in an area where Chase banks are not allowed (yes, you read that, they are not allowed to do business in my state) but the next state over we've got them; but its a 30 mile drive each way to cash a check.

I don't care about social media app support, I draw the line at Facebook; all that other nonsense (Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat) the tweens can keep them on iOS for all I care; nor am I saying they don't exist on WP8 as they do.

I love the user interface of Windows Phone, and I look forward to Windows 10. But as of right now, my personal needs, business needs, just aren't met by the platform; primarily due to external causes (lack of vendor commitment, and lack of Enterprise adoption at my company).

I've moved back to Android with the Note 4 and, as others are saying, its a remarkable device. I almost think that had Verizon offered a variant of the 1520, I would have held back, as some of the services I'm missing could be resolved with the browser vs. an app, but the screen offerings just didn't do it for me on the 928. No sense in picking up the Icon as Verizon has moved on from that faster than Happy Days did with the lost Cunningham. I blame Verizon as a carrier for a lot of Windows Phone problems in the US because they don't give it 1/25th the attention as they do iOS or Android; as the nation's largest carrier, they have the potential to really drive a 3rd option (even forcing it to a viable contender for a 3 way tie for #1) and simply don't care. I'm stuck with them as a carrier though because many of the places I travel, my work ATT iPhone 5s is constantly displaying "No Service" whereas my Verizon service still shows strong LTE.

I love Windows Central as its my hourly go to for news, before reading any of the other more depressing world news haha. I can't wait to come home to Windows Phone, that time for me at least simply isn't today.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
You keep taking the 1020 as, even though its an older device, it still bests most of whats available today. The camera is uncomparable, its the perfect size (thinner is not always better), WP is much better than android, and its an all around awesome device. There are cool things about the NOTE most "noteably" the pen. I did enjoy using it for certain things. There are a few apps not available on WP on Android. Nothing that I NEED to be happy.

1020 running 8.1 was a leggy mess for me... it doesn't best most of what's out today, if you sincerely believe that I feel for you.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine works great on 8.1. Don't feel bad for me. My phone rocks. And way better than anything available from apple or android for a complete package.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine works great on 8.1. Don't feel bad for me. My phone rocks. And way better than anything available from apple or android for a complete package.

If your device works great, then thats excellent news...i feel bad that you think its better than anything out there but hey, to each their own.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
This may seem slightly off-topic, but I've been watching Parks and Recreation recently. Just made it to season 7...it's pretty funny and heart-warming in places but I digress....

It's clear the Microsoft marketing machine worked overtime with the producers as the over-saturation of WP products in the programme was quite something. I almost shed a tear when I saw my once beloved 1020 in the hands of these amiable, down to earth tv actor types.

I sincerely hope it helped US sales, as it's done little to convince me that my thoughts regarding the UK market were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs