12-12-2014 01:55 PM
83 1234
tools
    MS has been making the Windows operating system for over 20 years and still hasn't got it right! Just because they've been at it for so long, doesn't mean they're good at it. ;-)
    Your opinion of course :D windows is far better for me than anything out there although a mac is a close contender for me.
    12-08-2014 05:42 AM
    The point he was making, I presume, is that you speak of android as flawless not that windows phone is perfect, when in reality both operating systems have their share of issues.....you'd expect less from the more mature platform(android), no?
    Android has issues, never said that it didn't however it isn't a train wreck and it isn't as bad as some people on this thread make it out to be.

And is definitely a better OS for power users compared to Windows Phone, but again that would depend on how you define a power user.

Sorry, but I have to ask: How could you be so stupid as to try a class 2 micro SD card in a Lumia?

When they released WP8.1, Microsoft were very clear in saying that at least class 6 cards would be needed to run apps from. I remember, because I was annoyed that the card in my 620, that had served me perfectly well for music playback, was only class 4.

I ask because I have been mislead by previous Android apologists to believe that access to the SD card on Android was open, like it was on Windows Mobile. Clearly it's more complicated, like everything else Android.

I'm sorry, but I want a device to use, not to apologise for.
    SD card access was open on Android, but it was opted against by Google for internal storage.

Android 5.0 brings the functionality if previous versions back and apps can automatically store data on the SD Card. How complicated is that?

If android is so holy grail then people switched to WP from android .May be they have bad experience you cannot deny .After say 6 months all android skin behaves unusual.People switching to android only because they get apps that is it.
    From Windows phone
    Owned a Nexus 5 for almost six months now, hasn't been acting weird. There are few perchance issues with 5.0 but I expect they'll be resolved soon.

People don't just move from Windows Phone to Android because of applications, there are tons of other reasons.
    12-08-2014 06:00 AM
    Meh, i've been using Lollipop on my Nexus 5 since the OTA's were released and I manually sideloaded. Other than maybe 1 or 2 apps, the OS performance has been great. The problem with using the AC 5.0 Forum is most users admittedly refuse to wipe partition and start from scratch, which is what I did and havent had issues since. The same scenario was when 8.1 was released, if you formatted or did a hard reset your experience was much better than most using their existing baseline. However, I have friends who did the update without flashing the partition and it works perfectly, so i dont know.
    12-08-2014 11:09 AM
    Android 5.0 brings the functionality if previous versions back and apps can automatically store data on the SD Card. How complicated is that?
    So, Android used to allow APPS AND DATA to be stored on SD. Then it removed the ability, except - according to you - it didn't, because OEMs have been bypassing the restriction. And now a restriction (that was never taken away because OEMs by passed it) has been removed, except it hasn't because you still can't move APPS to SD.

Yes, very simple.

I've nothing against Android. I do have issues with ignorant people stating as fact things that are untrue.
    12-08-2014 11:24 AM
    So, Android used to allow APPS AND DATA to be stored on SD. Then it removed the ability, except - according to you - it didn't, because OEMs have been bypassing the restriction. And now a restriction (that was never taken away because OEMs by passed it) has been removed, except it hasn't because you still can't move APPS to SD.

Yes, very simple.

I've nothing against Android. I do have issues with ignorant people stating as fact things that are untrue.
    I already admitted that Google opted against use of SD cards, but that is now being resolved. -_-
    12-08-2014 11:46 AM
    I already admitted that Google opted against use of SD cards, but that is now being resolved. -_-
    I've been moving games to the SD card of my Shield Portable since the day I bought it. And no, it's not rooted.
    12-08-2014 12:20 PM
    Which version of android is it running?
    12-08-2014 12:27 PM
    I've been moving games to the SD card of my Shield Portable since the day I bought it. And no, it's not rooted.
    I believe I've told him that before.

Google itself did remove the ability to move apps to SD cards but many OEMs we're allowed to bypass the restrictions.

It didn't matter to Google since most Google devices didn't come with an SD card slot.
    12-08-2014 12:29 PM
    Which version of android is it running?
    KitKat

Micro SD Card Use, Formatting | User Guide| NVIDIA SHIELD
    12-08-2014 12:33 PM
    I believe I've told him that before.

Google itself did remove the ability to move apps to SD cards but many OEMs we're allowed to bypass the restrictions.

It didn't matter to Google since most Google devices didn't come with an SD card slot.
    I guess there's games that don't allow it, but not any that I've personally came across.
    12-08-2014 12:35 PM
    I guess there's games that don't allow it, but not any that I've personally came across.
    The only restriction I knew of was that apps with widgets couldn't be moved to the SD card, and if you did the widget would disappear.
    12-08-2014 12:47 PM
    How to bypass Android 4.4 (KitKat) external SD write restrictions without root
    Sony Xperia Android 4.4 KitKat Update Brings 'Move App to SD Card' Option | NDTV Gadgets
    Apps to SD card in kitkat 4.4.4 | Android Authority Forums

All seem to confirm that moving apps to sd in 4.4.4 was a prohibited action requiring a work around of one type or another.

Can you not see the confusion this can present when some handsets will permit it, whilst others adhered to the Google edict? This kind of fragmentation not only caused confusion amongst self-proclaimed experts, but amongst the general population of 'uneducated' Android users.

All part of the Android mess.

It's a shame, because when done right, Android can be a great system. The trouble is, with so many device manufacturers, it's often done wrong.
    etad putta and a5cent like this.
    12-08-2014 01:02 PM
    The only restriction I knew of was that apps with widgets couldn't be moved to the SD card, and if you did the widget would disappear.
    The only widget I use is Dashclock, and the entire app is under 3mb. I don't see the point in moving something that tiny to the SD card in the first place.

My Shield has just under 20Gb of apps and games installed, and the internal storage is only 16Gb, the OS is taking up about 2-3Gb of it from what I can tell. If I wasn't allowed to install apps to the SD card, this device would be useless to me.

My phone is a Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition, it's running Lollipop and has an SD card slot. I don't currently have an SD card in it, but when I get to work in a bit I'll put one in. I'll test out Lollipops SD card writing capabilities.
    thesachd likes this.
    12-08-2014 01:02 PM
    Sure

I'd love to stay and listen to you tell me about how awful Android is, but a totally awesome XBox game just got released, and I'm going to go lose a few hours reveling in nostalgia.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12...usive-for-now/
    12-08-2014 01:09 PM
    Sony Xperia Android 4.4 KitKat Update Brings 'Move App to SD Card' Option | NDTV Gadgets

All seem to confirm that moving apps to sd in 4.4.4 was a prohibited action requiring a work around of one type or another.

Can you not see the confusion this can present when some handsets will permit it, whilst others adhered to the Google edict? This kind of fragmentation not only caused confusion amongst self-proclaimed experts, but amongst the general population of 'uneducated' Android users.

It's a shame, because when done right, Android can be a great system. The trouble is, with so many device manufacturers, it's often done wrong.
    Well it is a version of Linux. Lots of distros, but far less good ones.

The way I see it is that there's much more potential in what you can achieve with Android/Linux but at the expense of more disorganization, conflicting UI elements, and chances of instability.

Can't count the number of updates I've made that throw me into kernel panic.
    12-08-2014 01:14 PM
    I'd love to stay and listen to you tell me about how awful Android is
    You'll be disappointed. Of the 11 mobile devices in our home there are:
    3 Android Tablets
    4 Android Mobile Phones
    2 Windows Laptops
    1 Windows Phone
    1 Dumb Phone

So overwhelmingly this is an Android household! If I were against Android, there wouldn't be a single Android device in my home.
    As I said, I take issue with self-proclaimed experts whose experience with Android devices is limited, and hey extrapolate the experience of one device onto every other device.

I know Android is fragmented, but I love to meddle to find out what makes my Androids tick. I like to know what manufacturers do to make the Android experience better or worse; I like to know how to get around the restrictions imposed by Google (a tweak of a system file is all that's needed in some cases); I like to brick my devices, then get them running again; install custom ROMs...

Yes, Android is great for those of us who like to know how things work. I can't do that on Windows Phone... but then, I don't NEED to on Winddows Phone!
    12-08-2014 01:48 PM
    Android lollipop is no where near a train wreck. The 8.1 update was the biggest train w.reck ever. Music, video and gamed is still not up to the standard it was in 8.0. Phones are lagging like crazy now too. Requiring people people to hard reset without restoring data. Stop talking like android is crap.
    12-08-2014 01:57 PM
    Yes, Android is great for those of us who like to know how things work. I can't do that on Windows Phone... but then, I don't NEED to on Winddows Phone!
    To be fair, you don't NEED to on Android either. If it was necessary, Android's market share wouldn't be 84.7% and climbing.
    12-08-2014 01:58 PM

Most OEMs did work around the SD card limitation because Android OEMs don't try to mess stuff up, they try to improve on existing software to make some sales!

Whereas the attempts of most Windows Phone OEMs is just to get a Windows Phone out there, with little or no interest in it later.

Google removed the SD card capabilities for god knows what reason(maybe because no Google devices used it) but most OEMs found a workaround that Google didn't object to later.

It isn't really as complicated as you make it out to be, and such nuisances can even be found on Windows Phone. These things generally don't make or break a phone experience.

And hell, even if it did, the people could resort to the Windows Phone master race for their SD card needs right? I wonder why no one does that.
    12-08-2014 04:32 PM
    Most OEMs did work around the SD card limitation because Android OEMs don't try to mess stuff up, they try to improve on existing software to make some sales!

Whereas the attempts of most Windows Phone OEMs is just to get a Windows Phone out there, with little or no interest in it later.

Google removed the SD card capabilities for god knows what reason(maybe because no Google devices used it) but most OEMs found a workaround that Google didn't object to later.

It isn't really as complicated as you make it out to be, and such nuisances can even be found on Windows Phone. These things generally don't make or break a phone experience.

And hell, even if it did, the people could resort to the Windows Phone master race for their SD card needs right? I wonder why no one does that.
    Not all of them. Actually I think only Samsung went around that. Motorola doesn't offer SD cards, and I *think* LG and HTC didn't fix it (at least not in a clear way) and Sony did something even worse: fixed it only on low end devices and left people with flagships hanging...because apparently the 600€ you pay for one isn't enough to get you that feature.

To get SD support back you have to root the phone. But yeah, I'm still trying to understand why on Earth did Google do that. Apparently they changed that again in Lollipop by allowing the user to decide to which folders a certain app has access rights.
    Let's see how that pans out. I'm not eager to update to Lollipop (hate the design) but I'm also sick of the limitations Sony placed on the Z3C storage by not bringing that feature back on high end devices.
    12-08-2014 06:23 PM
    I was playing with my friends phone with lollipop on it today at lunch and I have to say honestly it really is nothing that interest me whatsoever. The OS is just unattractive and not cohesive at all and I really tried to actually get used to it for that entire hour or so.

The only thing I like is the play store design. I wished Microsoft would realize how unattractive the store design is for windows phone......hopefully they will take after windows 10.

But as i said before at least android with lollipop is not as ugly as it used to be
    12-08-2014 08:45 PM
    Android is still beating the race by market share hope wp at least get 1/4 th of android market share then it is success else niche product.
    From Windows phone
    12-09-2014 08:07 AM
    Android is still beating the race by market share hope wp at least get 1/4 th of android market share then it is success else niche product.
    From Windows phone
    Even if Windows Phone we're to reach that number, and it was because of the low end devices selling they would still be going in massive loss.

If Windows Phone we're to even get 10% of market share(but with mid range and high end devices) then Windows Phone has huge chances of progressing. But at this point it is extremely unlikely this will happen.
    12-09-2014 09:48 AM
    The OS is just unattractive and not cohesive at all
    Can you give me a specific example of what you find not to be cohesive?
    12-09-2014 11:23 AM
    The thing that I somewhat appreciated about iOS that it was an OS catered towards people, in the sense that it had splashes of color, elegance and so on...

Windows Phone and Android always felt more "industrial". More functional than iOS but less aesthetically pleasing. However with the arrival of more recent versions of Windows Phone the situation improved, while Android did have changes but remained more of the same.

Lollipop brings this whole new level of an amazing and cohesive design language, stunning animations and there is just this new level of " finesse" to it, there are things you can't really describe you have to use it to realise the potential.

I'm sure that there will be people that liked the old Android, or those that prefer iOS or Windows Phone but finally Android is on the same level of visual appeal(or better) as the competing operating systems.

For me, Material goes a much longer way than Metro UI ever did.
    12-09-2014 01:13 PM
83 1234