Android Lollipop is a 'train wreck'

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The ability to store apps to the SD card is some thing certain OEMs are enabling/disabling on their own

Stock Android does not allow you to move apps to sd. You have to root and use 3rd party app. That some manufacturers enable the feature again, and others don't, only adds to the confusion.

Again, you have demonstrated what a mess Android is. And you have changed your story - first you tell us that we CAN move apps to SD, and now you're telling we that we might be able to, but it depends on the handset manufacturer.

You still haven't answered any of the questions I've asked you.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Stock Android does not allow you to move apps to sd. You have to root and use 3rd party app. That some manufacturers enable the feature again, and others don't, only adds to the confusion.

Again, you have demonstrated what a mess Android is. And you have changed your story - first you tell us that we CAN move apps to SD, and now you're telling we that we might be able to, but it depends on the handset manufacturer.

You still haven't answered any of the questions I've asked you.

Okay I'll admit Android can't move apps to the SD card. Happy? But how can one feature make

My story was conflicting because I haven't owned stock Android devices apart from Nexus(which don't come with SD cards) the rest of the devices I've tried did support moving apps to SD Card.

If this feature we're removed it was done primarily because Google doesn't like SD cards, at least that is what they show in the Nexus series. Manufacturers can choose to enable support for SD card moving however, but some don't.

This is one small thing that most users don't even care about it, if this we're as huge a feature as you make it out to be Windows Phone 7 and 8 didn't have this capability either and I saw that people didn't say it was more complicated because of this.

Edit: Also a thing to keep in mind is that SD card have classes, as in different SD cards have variations Class 2, Class 4, 6 10 and so on.

The general consumer doesn't understand this, and when on a 520 I moved all apps to a Class 2 SD card apps opening became much worse, the issues we're better managed with a Class 10.

But the thing is that applications need not store data on the SD card as the SD cards are generally significantly slower than the internal memory.

Android 5.0 will allow application developers to store large data files on the SD card, while the smaller .apk will be on the internal memory resulting in better performance + more free storage.

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
This is one small thing that most users don't even care about it, if this we're as huge a feature as you make it out to be Windows Phone 7 and 8 didn't have this capability either and I saw that people didn't say it was more complicated because of this.

This is one big that that most people care about, Especially the so called power users, with plenty of apps and games. As for WP 7&8 not having that functionality earlier, did android have all those capabilities in early stages?

As for all the good things about Android lollipop 🍭 first let Google fix the major wifi and battery issues.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This is one big that that most people care about, Especially the so called power users, with plenty of apps and games. As for WP 7&8 not having that functionality earlier, did android have all those capabilities in early stages?

As for all the good things about Android lollipop 🍭 first let Google fix the major wifi and battery issues.

The early stages of Android and Windows Phone we're different, Windows Phone had a lot to learn(and did) from existing operating systems and their functionality.

Also I told you the solution for that issue with Android 5.0, I wish you had gone through that.

And issues arise with every major update, for Windows Phone they arise even with the smaller ones:

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...+Sickness+Bug+Fix+is+Planned/article36925.htm

http://m.pocketnow.com/2014/07/16/lumia-cyan-bricking-some-windows-phones

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/304011-lumia-1020-wi-fi-issue-after-cyan-update.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/317619-lumia-1520-cyan-issues.html

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The early stages of Android and Windows Phone we're different, Windows Phone had a lot to learn(and did) from existing operating systems and their functionality.

Also I told you the solution for that issue with Android 5.0, I wish you had gone through that.

And issues arise with every major update, for Windows Phone they arise even with the smaller ones:

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...+Sickness+Bug+Fix+is+Planned/article36925.htm

http://m.pocketnow.com/2014/07/16/lumia-cyan-bricking-some-windows-phones

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/304011-lumia-1020-wi-fi-issue-after-cyan-update.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/317619-lumia-1520-cyan-issues.html
The point he was making, I presume, is that you speak of android as flawless not that windows phone is perfect, when in reality both operating systems have their share of issues.....you'd expect less from the more mature platform(android), no?

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has been making "phone" operating systems much longer than Google.

MS has been making the Windows operating system for over 20 years and still hasn't got it right! Just because they've been at it for so long, doesn't mean they're good at it. ;-)

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The general consumer doesn't understand this, and when on a 520 I moved all apps to a Class 2 SD card apps opening became much worse, the issues we're better managed with a Class 10.

Sorry, but I have to ask: How could you be so stupid as to try a class 2 micro SD card in a Lumia?

When they released WP8.1, Microsoft were very clear in saying that at least class 6 cards would be needed to run apps from. I remember, because I was annoyed that the card in my 620, that had served me perfectly well for music playback, was only class 4.

I ask because I have been mislead by previous Android apologists to believe that access to the SD card on Android was open, like it was on Windows Mobile. Clearly it's more complicated, like everything else Android.

I'm sorry, but I want a device to use, not to apologise for.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If android is so holy grail then people switched to WP from android .May be they have bad experience you cannot deny .After say 6 months all android skin behaves unusual.People switching to android only because they get apps that is it.
From Windows phone

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
MS has been making the Windows operating system for over 20 years and still hasn't got it right! Just because they've been at it for so long, doesn't mean they're good at it. ;-)
Your opinion of course :D windows is far better for me than anything out there although a mac is a close contender for me.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The point he was making, I presume, is that you speak of android as flawless not that windows phone is perfect, when in reality both operating systems have their share of issues.....you'd expect less from the more mature platform(android), no?

Android has issues, never said that it didn't however it isn't a train wreck and it isn't as bad as some people on this thread make it out to be.

And is definitely a better OS for power users compared to Windows Phone, but again that would depend on how you define a power user.

Sorry, but I have to ask: How could you be so stupid as to try a class 2 micro SD card in a Lumia?

When they released WP8.1, Microsoft were very clear in saying that at least class 6 cards would be needed to run apps from. I remember, because I was annoyed that the card in my 620, that had served me perfectly well for music playback, was only class 4.

I ask because I have been mislead by previous Android apologists to believe that access to the SD card on Android was open, like it was on Windows Mobile. Clearly it's more complicated, like everything else Android.

I'm sorry, but I want a device to use, not to apologise for.

SD card access was open on Android, but it was opted against by Google for internal storage.

Android 5.0 brings the functionality if previous versions back and apps can automatically store data on the SD Card. How complicated is that?

If android is so holy grail then people switched to WP from android .May be they have bad experience you cannot deny .After say 6 months all android skin behaves unusual.People switching to android only because they get apps that is it.
From Windows phone

Owned a Nexus 5 for almost six months now, hasn't been acting weird. There are few perchance issues with 5.0 but I expect they'll be resolved soon.

People don't just move from Windows Phone to Android because of applications, there are tons of other reasons.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Meh, i've been using Lollipop on my Nexus 5 since the OTA's were released and I manually sideloaded. Other than maybe 1 or 2 apps, the OS performance has been great. The problem with using the AC 5.0 Forum is most users admittedly refuse to wipe partition and start from scratch, which is what I did and havent had issues since. The same scenario was when 8.1 was released, if you formatted or did a hard reset your experience was much better than most using their existing baseline. However, I have friends who did the update without flashing the partition and it works perfectly, so i dont know.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Android 5.0 brings the functionality if previous versions back and apps can automatically store data on the SD Card. How complicated is that?

So, Android used to allow APPS AND DATA to be stored on SD. Then it removed the ability, except - according to you - it didn't, because OEMs have been bypassing the restriction. And now a restriction (that was never taken away because OEMs by passed it) has been removed, except it hasn't because you still can't move APPS to SD.

Yes, very simple.

I've nothing against Android. I do have issues with ignorant people stating as fact things that are untrue.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
So, Android used to allow APPS AND DATA to be stored on SD. Then it removed the ability, except - according to you - it didn't, because OEMs have been bypassing the restriction. And now a restriction (that was never taken away because OEMs by passed it) has been removed, except it hasn't because you still can't move APPS to SD.

Yes, very simple.

I've nothing against Android. I do have issues with ignorant people stating as fact things that are untrue.

I already admitted that Google opted against use of SD cards, but that is now being resolved. -_-

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been moving games to the SD card of my Shield Portable since the day I bought it. And no, it's not rooted.

I believe I've told him that before.

Google itself did remove the ability to move apps to SD cards but many OEMs we're allowed to bypass the restrictions.

It didn't matter to Google since most Google devices didn't come with an SD card slot.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I believe I've told him that before.

Google itself did remove the ability to move apps to SD cards but many OEMs we're allowed to bypass the restrictions.

It didn't matter to Google since most Google devices didn't come with an SD card slot.

I guess there's games that don't allow it, but not any that I've personally came across.