Android Lollipop is a 'train wreck'

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
How to bypass Android 4.4 (KitKat) external SD write restrictions without root
Sony Xperia Android 4.4 KitKat Update Brings 'Move App to SD Card' Option | NDTV Gadgets
Apps to SD card in kitkat 4.4.4 | Android Authority Forums

All seem to confirm that moving apps to sd in 4.4.4 was a prohibited action requiring a work around of one type or another.

Can you not see the confusion this can present when some handsets will permit it, whilst others adhered to the Google edict? This kind of fragmentation not only caused confusion amongst self-proclaimed experts, but amongst the general population of 'uneducated' Android users.

All part of the Android mess.

It's a shame, because when done right, Android can be a great system. The trouble is, with so many device manufacturers, it's often done wrong.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The only restriction I knew of was that apps with widgets couldn't be moved to the SD card, and if you did the widget would disappear.

The only widget I use is Dashclock, and the entire app is under 3mb. I don't see the point in moving something that tiny to the SD card in the first place.

My Shield has just under 20Gb of apps and games installed, and the internal storage is only 16Gb, the OS is taking up about 2-3Gb of it from what I can tell. If I wasn't allowed to install apps to the SD card, this device would be useless to me.

My phone is a Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition, it's running Lollipop and has an SD card slot. I don't currently have an SD card in it, but when I get to work in a bit I'll put one in. I'll test out Lollipops SD card writing capabilities.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Sony Xperia Android 4.4 KitKat Update Brings 'Move App to SD Card' Option | NDTV Gadgets

All seem to confirm that moving apps to sd in 4.4.4 was a prohibited action requiring a work around of one type or another.

Can you not see the confusion this can present when some handsets will permit it, whilst others adhered to the Google edict? This kind of fragmentation not only caused confusion amongst self-proclaimed experts, but amongst the general population of 'uneducated' Android users.

It's a shame, because when done right, Android can be a great system. The trouble is, with so many device manufacturers, it's often done wrong.

Well it is a version of Linux. Lots of distros, but far less good ones.

The way I see it is that there's much more potential in what you can achieve with Android/Linux but at the expense of more disorganization, conflicting UI elements, and chances of instability.

Can't count the number of updates I've made that throw me into kernel panic.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to stay and listen to you tell me about how awful Android is

You'll be disappointed. Of the 11 mobile devices in our home there are:
3 Android Tablets
4 Android Mobile Phones
2 Windows Laptops
1 Windows Phone
1 Dumb Phone

So overwhelmingly this is an Android household! If I were against Android, there wouldn't be a single Android device in my home.
As I said, I take issue with self-proclaimed experts whose experience with Android devices is limited, and hey extrapolate the experience of one device onto every other device.

I know Android is fragmented, but I love to meddle to find out what makes my Androids tick. I like to know what manufacturers do to make the Android experience better or worse; I like to know how to get around the restrictions imposed by Google (a tweak of a system file is all that's needed in some cases); I like to brick my devices, then get them running again; install custom ROMs...

Yes, Android is great for those of us who like to know how things work. I can't do that on Windows Phone... but then, I don't NEED to on Winddows Phone!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Android lollipop is no where near a train wreck. The 8.1 update was the biggest train w.reck ever. Music, video and gamed is still not up to the standard it was in 8.0. Phones are lagging like crazy now too. Requiring people people to hard reset without restoring data. Stop talking like android is crap.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Android is great for those of us who like to know how things work. I can't do that on Windows Phone... but then, I don't NEED to on Winddows Phone!

To be fair, you don't NEED to on Android either. If it was necessary, Android's market share wouldn't be 84.7% and climbing.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Most OEMs did work around the SD card limitation because Android OEMs don't try to mess stuff up, they try to improve on existing software to make some sales!

Whereas the attempts of most Windows Phone OEMs is just to get a Windows Phone out there, with little or no interest in it later.

Google removed the SD card capabilities for god knows what reason(maybe because no Google devices used it) but most OEMs found a workaround that Google didn't object to later.

It isn't really as complicated as you make it out to be, and such nuisances can even be found on Windows Phone. These things generally don't make or break a phone experience.

And hell, even if it did, the people could resort to the Windows Phone master race for their SD card needs right? I wonder why no one does that.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Most OEMs did work around the SD card limitation because Android OEMs don't try to mess stuff up, they try to improve on existing software to make some sales!

Whereas the attempts of most Windows Phone OEMs is just to get a Windows Phone out there, with little or no interest in it later.

Google removed the SD card capabilities for god knows what reason(maybe because no Google devices used it) but most OEMs found a workaround that Google didn't object to later.

It isn't really as complicated as you make it out to be, and such nuisances can even be found on Windows Phone. These things generally don't make or break a phone experience.

And hell, even if it did, the people could resort to the Windows Phone master race for their SD card needs right? I wonder why no one does that.

Not all of them. Actually I think only Samsung went around that. Motorola doesn't offer SD cards, and I *think* LG and HTC didn't fix it (at least not in a clear way) and Sony did something even worse: fixed it only on low end devices and left people with flagships hanging...because apparently the 600€ you pay for one isn't enough to get you that feature.

To get SD support back you have to root the phone. But yeah, I'm still trying to understand why on Earth did Google do that. Apparently they changed that again in Lollipop by allowing the user to decide to which folders a certain app has access rights.
Let's see how that pans out. I'm not eager to update to Lollipop (hate the design) but I'm also sick of the limitations Sony placed on the Z3C storage by not bringing that feature back on high end devices.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was playing with my friends phone with lollipop on it today at lunch and I have to say honestly it really is nothing that interest me whatsoever. The OS is just unattractive and not cohesive at all and I really tried to actually get used to it for that entire hour or so.

The only thing I like is the play store design. I wished Microsoft would realize how unattractive the store design is for windows phone......hopefully they will take after windows 10.

But as i said before at least android with lollipop is not as ugly as it used to be

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Android is still beating the race by market share hope wp at least get 1/4 th of android market share then it is success else niche product.
From Windows phone

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Android is still beating the race by market share hope wp at least get 1/4 th of android market share then it is success else niche product.
From Windows phone

Even if Windows Phone we're to reach that number, and it was because of the low end devices selling they would still be going in massive loss.

If Windows Phone we're to even get 10% of market share(but with mid range and high end devices) then Windows Phone has huge chances of progressing. But at this point it is extremely unlikely this will happen.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The thing that I somewhat appreciated about iOS that it was an OS catered towards people, in the sense that it had splashes of color, elegance and so on...

Windows Phone and Android always felt more "industrial". More functional than iOS but less aesthetically pleasing. However with the arrival of more recent versions of Windows Phone the situation improved, while Android did have changes but remained more of the same.

Lollipop brings this whole new level of an amazing and cohesive design language, stunning animations and there is just this new level of " finesse" to it, there are things you can't really describe you have to use it to realise the potential.

I'm sure that there will be people that liked the old Android, or those that prefer iOS or Windows Phone but finally Android is on the same level of visual appeal(or better) as the competing operating systems.

For me, Material goes a much longer way than Metro UI ever did.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was playing with my friends phone with lollipop on it today at lunch and I have to say honestly it really is nothing that interest me whatsoever. The OS is just unattractive and not cohesive at all and I really tried to actually get used to it for that entire hour or so.

The only thing I like is the play store design. I wished Microsoft would realize how unattractive the store design is for windows phone......hopefully they will take after windows 10.

But as i said before at least android with lollipop is not as ugly as it used to be

What is not cohesive about Lollipop compared to Kitkat? If we're talking stock android (which i presume is your case since 5.0 was only released on mostly stock-ish android), Lollipop adds TONS of improvements in terms of fluidity, functionality and design...makes the whole OS 'work together as a whole' better from my experience. There is nothing negative in my experience that was 'removed' from kitkat. If you're talking about Android OS in general not being as 'pretty' or you prefer the design of Windows Phone then you just dont like the OS. But if im not mistaken, if you're the guy who recently went with iOS...saying Android isn't Cohesive or attractive is funny to me...considering iOS8 and Lollipop share more in common than they ever have, and practically look identical at times.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What is not cohesive about Lollipop compared to Kitkat? If we're talking stock android (which i presume is your case since 5.0 was only released on mostly stock-ish android), Lollipop adds TONS of improvements in terms of fluidity, functionality and design...makes the whole OS 'work together as a whole' better from my experience. There is nothing negative in my experience that was 'removed' from kitkat. If you're talking about Android OS in general not being as 'pretty' or you prefer the design of Windows Phone then you just dont like the OS. But if im not mistaken, if you're the guy who recently went with iOS...saying Android isn't Cohesive or attractive is funny to me...considering iOS8 and Lollipop share more in common than they ever have, and practically look identical at times.

Yes I'm the guy who chose the iPhone briefly as I am back with my Lumia. But I still think ios8 is far more attractive than lollipop is and you're right I just hate android/google and it sickens me to even have to use it. There are still aspects of the os that really don't feel cohesive such as the settings and various menus and it has so many features yet they seem to be on excess to the point of being overwhelming. While it is visually more attractive, android is still chaos to me.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Was not interested at first, but I really love notifications now on Android Lolipop
Double click on notification from the lock screen and done! You need to use it for more time.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes I'm the guy who chose the iPhone briefly as I am back with my Lumia. But I still think ios8 is far more attractive than lollipop is and you're right I just hate android/google and it sickens me to even have to use it. There are still aspects of the os that really don't feel cohesive such as the settings and various menus and it has so many features yet they seem to be on excess to the point of being overwhelming. While it is visually more attractive, android is still chaos to me.

Yes, Android has a lot of option, most of people don't use. But if I need to find a certain setting it seems pretty obvious where to find it. Can you give me an example of a certain setting you would search for that is hard/un-intuitive to find?