Lumia 630 vs Blackberry Z3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
DOesnt the android app catalog work on bb? I thought they all did minus Google's own apps.

Yes they all do, minus el goog apps - though there may be compatibility issues if you're on a bb with a square screen. I've certainly only come across one app that isn't working on the passport and that's Nokia Here Maps - that is because Nokia have a blacklist, whilst their app is in beta. Aside from that it all works, on bb10.3, and the screen scaling really helps, for the passport and q10

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Your posts make me wonder what planet you're living on...

I'm not the one looking for help, but if I was, you would have caused more confusion! :wink:

Earth. I have all three of those devices and never had a "resuming" or "loading" screen ever appear. What planet are you from?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes they all do, minus el goog apps - though there may be compatibility issues if you're on a bb with a square screen. I've certainly only come across one app that isn't working on the passport and that's Nokia Here Maps - that is because Nokia have a blacklist, whilst their app is in beta. Aside from that it all works, on bb10.3, and the screen scaling really helps, for the passport and q10

Cool, and I am guessing that BB10, works much smoother than any android implementation. I asked the app question as someone said if you want apps go with WP instead of bb?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
App situation in bb 10 bb world is even worse compared to WP.wp is that's why 3 rd far ahead of bb.BB 10 os has failed.
From Windows phone

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Z10, a Z30 and now a 930. App situaton is way better on WP. BB have Android emulator, but the apps don't run well in the background.

Personally I find that WP surfaces information better. The live tiles and also the amount of messengers beats BB. Remember BB decided to focus more on business use, WP is clearly a more consumer focussed product. Updates are more frequent.

Compare the new Lumia 535 with the Z3, the 535 wins hands down.

What is BB good at: secure, excellent battery life. So if you are mainly looking for a phone to handle email, contacts and calling you can not go wrong. If you want to do more than that I would suggest you look at the WP system more.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Z10, a Z30 and now a 930. App situaton is way better on WP. BB have Android emulator, but the apps don't run well in the background.

Personally I find that WP surfaces information better. The live tiles and also the amount of messengers beats BB. Remember BB decided to focus more on business use, WP is clearly a more consumer focussed product. Updates are more frequent.

What is BB good at: secure, excellent battery life. So if you are mainly looking for a phone to handle email, contacts and calling you can not go wrong. If you want to do more than that I would suggest you look at the WP system more.

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, what is the wallpaper on your nokia photo?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for posting this. With all the posts gushing over Android I thought I missed something. My observations are consistent with yours. Like all emulators, it is never going to be something that will be a low utilizer of resources. In addition, the OS needs more RAM anyway since the QNX based BB10 kernel is very robust. People should understand as well what Snap is. The Google Play Store is never coming to BB10 and Snap provides a way to circumvent that limitation. It is endorsed by neither BB or Google. People should also keep in mind that Google has been making rumblings and behind the scenes efforts to tie Android more closely to Google Play services. As far as the BB10 interface goes, it is clever but has been regularly identified as having the steepest learning of any current OS.

With all that said, I will stress BB has developed an impressive OS still well worth consideration. Overall I would rank it behind WP but actually well ahead of -Android itself in term of fit and finish. Beyond that, however, is not nearly as black and white as some suggest. I would strongly suggest doing some hand on tests or using of the demos available on the web. In addition I would suggest making a decision based upon the respective OS merits and not as a quasi replacement.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Still amazes me how capable the 630 is for only 100 bucks. Might pick one up, but I wonder if its RAM will limit me too much on compatible apps.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Why are some people freaking out over the RAM? BB10 uses an Android emulator and doesn't use nearly all that RAM. Actually, comparing RAM in two different OSes is dumb in the first place lol.

Plus, for all the talk about the screen, people are forgetting that the z3 has a half inch bigger screen, so those extra pixels puts the z3 at.... Wow two more ppi lol.

OP, you said that you're looking for something straight forward, so I would personally recommend the 630 (actually, I'd recommend the 535 if you can get it) over the z3. If you don't mind having to jump through a few hoops to get Android apps, then the z3 may suit you better.

FWIW, most people I know find WP to be relatively straight forward, while most of them find the swipe gestures confusing to figure out.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what thsese resume and loading screens certain people talk about here. Never saw one on my 520, 1020 or ativ S. I think the minority that have seen these have a defective phone or have something screwed up somewhere.

The more powerful hardware (and most recent hardware) the less start/resume you'll see. And it depends on the app. I only really ever see it prominently on Skype but I don't use Skype all that often. My Lumia 930 is wickedly fast so they don't even pop up all that often.
Compared to my Lumia 710, that thing was dog slow loading some apps and games.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy the OP made his decision based on his own needs, congrats. But the misinformation I saw in some of these posts could have been mind boggling to a non-techie. Please folks, when someone comes to us looking for insight we need to be as unbiased as possible. The OP was deciding between a 630 and a Z3 and ended up with a GS4 Mini. Gee, I wonder if he decided to look elsewhere for advice?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
He probably, like the majority of people, decided to go with a platform that was going somewhere vs the other 2 that just hang in limbo or worse. Price is about the only thing on our side these days and that might be gone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077