Windows Phone is most stable smartphone OS?

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Stability for me, even on the DP, has never been in question. My only problem was a Resuming screen and that was because if lock screen apps. Speed is still as top notch as ever, even with all the features they loaded onto the OS. Xbox Music doesn't give me any problems either. Using a Lumia 920. Which I frippin love. ❤

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
"X didnt work for me therefore its garbage" is not logical and also NOT an argument. The level in thought to posts here astonishes me. Maybe its you? Maybe your standards are too high? Maybe you need to switch phone platforms? How the hell anyone can buy something then trash it is maddening. BUY ANOTHER PHONE IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How about doing the same search on android forums?

If I frequented Android forums and was posting on an "Android is the most stable smartphone OS" thread, I might be inclined to do that. But I'm not frequenting Android forums and I'm not posting on an "Android is the most stable smartphone OS" thread.

I can tell you that in my experience, after carrying as daily drivers an iPhone 3G, an iPhone 3GS, an iPhone 4, an iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5S, a Samsung Captivate, a Lumia 920, a Lumia 820, a Lumia 520, and an HTC 8x, that Windows Phone is definitely NOT the most stable smartphone OS, and I can offer you up these very forums as proof.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.

Go search the forums for "random battery drain" and "random reboots", and then ask if Windows Phone is the most stable OS out there.

It's funny you say that and I've heard of that. However, it seems to be tied to Lumias and HTC. I had an Omnia 7 for like 2 years without issue. Then I had the Ativ S fire another year without issue also. Installed dev preview on it and now have those issues.

My Lumia had rebooted like twice maybe three times in the six months I've had it. That's more than both my Samsungs on official firmware.

banger696

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I can get my phone to reboot using IE and going to paltalk,com on my L530. I suspect the page is too graphics intensive for my 512mb memory. Other browsers such as Surfy and UC browser crash back to the start page but Opera Mini displays the page ok. I have had an online chat with MS operator and he said he would report to IE developers. Im also on DP but it did they same before the update. See if they can fix it.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Did you tried kid's corner trick?

isn't the whole point of having a stable OS is that you shouldn't have to do bits and pieces and hacks and tricks to get your thing up and running.
Kinda defeats the purpose of it IMO.
Read below pretty much sums it up.
Somwehere in this thread there was a problem with 1520 and it was suggested it was SD card.

On my 1020 there are no songs no extra files minimal apps and storage gets dumped into external HD on regular basis.
I still get loading and resuming screens. Accessing the cam is a pain in the ####

If ignore Official Xbox music, video and game hub performance and forget resuming and loading screen then I would say it is most stable OS.
But I haven't seen Android or iOS devices crashing in this regard. So they are also as stable as WP.

When you consider stablity then 3rd party apps are also the part of it.(I don't know for sure but whereever I read something about stablity article also include apps crashing)
So, now if we consider this too then.........i don't think it is.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I repeat, I have NEVER had an app crash, and I use Xbox Music all day long. My phone is a mid-range from two years ago (Lumia 820). Xbox Music is now faster than the music app on my Android Tablet after all the updates it has had.

Well in my case apps crashes on daily basis.
Xbox music also hang ,lag and then crashes.(even IE crashes too often)
Xbox Music is still slowest music player of all the time.

I think you forget how fluid and fast Music player used to be in WP8.(I consider wp8 as most stable is OS but not wp8.1)
Give a try to Music Hub Tile app.

Then you will know how sh*tty music app is in Wp8.1

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I am finding as more features have been added and since 8.1 update came Windows Phone has unfortunately become more slow and often many apps suffering from lag. Using X Box music app if I do something else animations become jerky,using Instagram and 6tag even on Lumia 1520 and 930 lag when scrolling. Metro Tube sometimes lags when scrolling,horrible resuming issue,IE11 is **** poor for browsing and compared to Chrome on Android am sorry to say it's painfully slow to load pages and often doesn't render right. Windows Phone caching Microsoft need to still sort this issue out. For me my once favourite OS has become worse and feels incomplete,messy and often using it just don't feels as fast,smooth and fluid as it once did compared to Vanilla Android. Sorry Microsoft you've totally crapped it for me

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I cant comment on is the comparison of stability between the 3 as haven't ventured anywhere close to the Apple and Android.
Although I can say Symbian didn't give me issues. Lacked apps a bit but OS cant say anything about it.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I have had here drive crash on a few times but that is about it I would say about apps crashing. Phone restart has occurred a couple of times.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The developer preview makes resuming much worse. My phone often gets stuck and I have to force close.

DP is the newer software without the firmware. It is not the final version I suppose it still shouldn't add to the resuming and loading. What is holding back the RAM from processing faster? Nothing much runs in the background as in when you hold the back arrow it would show nothing in the open apps, at least not like apple and android.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I can say wp is great for low or mid end compared to android low or mid end I have problem with Moto g sometime it crashes nd freeze not my Lumia 820 till date.But battery life if using 3 g is pathetic .That is only gripe I have along with greenish tinge indoors.
From Windows phone

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky then. I have a 1520 and the resuming bug is maddening!!! It happens almost everytime I unlock my phone and also when I resume most apps and games. And it can take up to ten seconds at times! It's bad enough that I'm seriously considering selling the phone!

So in good conscience, there is no way I would call this OS more stable than iOS, not even close. Not even sure if we're more stable than Android now that they have lollipop.

I am at a loss as to why people who have a problem assume their situation is the norm. Why is it that others should consider themselves lucky? Perhaps you simply have a problem and that is the atypical situation. You do understand that happens? Beyond all that, if your situation is truly maddening then why just consider switching? Would that not make your life easier or is it just more fun to complain?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Most people will always have different experiences regardless of O/S, therefore to the users who blankly to say WP always suffers from loading, resuming, lags, has micro-stutter, locks up constantly and android or ios doesn't suffer the same issues is presumptuous & naive (they do, most ios users will never admit it - too much pride I guess and I'm not saying Windows Phone is not issue free either). As it doesn't take into the account the insane amount variables that could go wrong i.e the nand flash reaches the end of it is read / write cycle, poorly optimised apps, bad batch of pcbs', poor connections between certain components..

It is like saying only a certain brand of TV's always has issues, they all have issues - anything human-made will have issues which is why they have a shelve life, life cycles (and depends on the operating environment).

From personal experience I have had my 920 randomly lock up here & there, just like the other smartphones in the past and even the old blackberry's were no exception - they needed a battery pull here & there. The only phones immune the issues that plague smartphones to day are the old classics i.e the 3310, 3210.. which unfortunately are labeled "dumb phones" these days. As we demand more & more from our miniature PC's we will always come across more and more issues.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The only phones immune the issues that plague smartphones to day are the old classics i.e the 3310, 3210.. which unfortunately are labeled "dumb phones" these days. As we demand more & more from our miniature PC's we will always come across more and more issues.

You forgot WP7. That was probably the most stable mobile OS I've ever used. In the 2.5 years I used it I had to reset it but once, after letting it fall on a sharp stone after which it was also physically seriously damaged. Compared to my Lumia 800, my Lumia 920 was an unreliable mess. Not terrible, but not in the same league. I have not owned my Lumia 830 long enough to comment on this issue, but so far so good.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You forgot WP7. That was probably the most stable mobile OS I've ever used. In the 2.5 years I used it I had to reset it but once, after letting it fall on a sharp stone after which it was also physically seriously damaged. Compared to my Lumia 800, my Lumia 920 was an unreliable mess. Not terrible, but not in the same league. I have not owned my Lumia 830 long enough to comment on this issue, but so far so good.

Fair enough, I was referring to Windows Phone as a whole :) and I have not had a windows phone 7 device long enough as a daily driver (I only had the Lumia 800 on & off not & not more than 12 months in total) to comment on it's issue(s) compared to my L920 - this DEC would make it the 25th Month.

The time I had the Lumia 800, I didn't encounter any problems then again I didn't really fiddle around with it too much as the seller kept changing her mind if she wanted to sell the phone or not (my sister's friend) lol.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.0 is the most stable for me. 8.1 with Cyan isn't stable for me at all.

Then you should have seen WP7, that thing was a beast. it needs special powers to make that slow down or freeze.

but yet it couldn't do anything lol.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
No.

While in a way Windows Phone would qualify to be a stable operating system.

Over the past few months I've been trying to see how true claims about Windows Phone we're. Some people here say Windows Phone never lagged, ran better than Android in low end, never crashed and ran great even when memory was full.

None of those, not even one of those claims has proven true.

Having tried a Lumia 520 and 530, the 530 crashed in my first one minute of using Skype:

http://youtu.be/NEMaxs4-THI

To name a few, Tapatalk, Atmosphere Weather, tons of games, Internet Explorer, Xbox Music, Magnify Newsreader crashed on the 520 in more extended use.

The reason why people say Windows Phone has never crashed for them can also be partly blamed on the fact that Windows Phone doesn't give you any message about why your app just closed, so most people don't realise it.

There are tons of things wrong with scrolling, where content often disappears and takes you back to your original point. Touch issues seem to be apparent.

iOS with Apple's strict control over software and hardware is the most worthy of being called the most stable experience you can find on mobile, Android and Windows Phone would come in second place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes