Windows Phone is most stable smartphone OS?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No.

While in a way Windows Phone would qualify to be a stable operating system.

Over the past few months I've been trying to see how true claims about Windows Phone we're. Some people here say Windows Phone never lagged, ran better than Android in low end, never crashed and ran great even when memory was full.

None of those, not even one of those claims has proven true.

Having tried a Lumia 520 and 530, the 530 crashed in my first one minute of using Skype:

http://youtu.be/NEMaxs4-THI

To name a few, Tapatalk, Atmosphere Weather, tons of games, Internet Explorer, Xbox Music, Magnify Newsreader crashed on the 520 in more extended use.

The reason why people say Windows Phone has never crashed for them can also be partly blamed on the fact that Windows Phone doesn't give you any message about why your app just closed, so most people don't realise it.

There are tons of things wrong with scrolling, where content often disappears and takes you back to your original point. Touch issues seem to be apparent.

iOS with Apple's strict control over software and hardware is the most worthy of being called the most stable experience you can find on mobile, Android and Windows Phone would come in second place.

Yet those issues relate to apps and not the OS, therefore the OS IS stable but the apps are the ones that need updates to fix those issues. That is unless you can show me those issues in the OS itself.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Yet those issues relate to apps and not the OS, therefore the OS IS stable but the apps are the ones that need updates to fix those issues. That is unless you can show me those issues in the OS itself.

True, apps are at fault.

But if we we're to take apps out of the equation. Android, Windows Phone and iOS are almost equally stable. What makes Windows Phone the most stable?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
True, apps are at fault.

But if we we're to take apps out of the equation. Android, Windows Phone and iOS are almost equally stable. What makes Windows Phone the most stable?

But that's the point I'm trying make, people in this thread are using apps as an example of why WP isn't stable. Microsoft is to blame for their own apps but some of the apps are from third parties and can only be fixed by the developers.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with those who say that WP7 was stable. I had much less luck with WP8 & WP8.1. I believe that it goes back to the OSs' capabilities. Since we're comparing OS's here, I'll feel free to bring in Android. Android has been very full featured for quite some time now, and WP, especially WP7, was quite basic by comparison. WP7 was stable. With WP8 and since, features have been added at a fast rate. Along with that, it has become less stable with plenty of bugs, like Android.

At the same time, Android has become much more stable. Since it's been full featured for awhile, Google has had time to work on optimizing the OS for stabilization, while Microsoft is still working on adding features. I imagine that with time, Microsoft will also be able to optimize WP to run well with all its features. It's just that Android is several years ahead of WP.

FWIW, I once had an uptime of 1,700 hours (70 days) on my Nexus 5 running KitKat. It was my primary device. I used it all day, every day, for everything.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is possible on Android. I still have a few old Android but I know they will crash quick. I want to try it on iOS but my sis is using my iPhone :excited:. I don't have Blackberry OS 10 and don't have much experience with it.
I'll chime in. If you remained on BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 (the current official OS for most devices), have a fully charged device, enough free device resources, and a properly coded, native application, the OS itself, and possibly the application too, should be stable enough to support such uptimes. I can only speak in hypotheticals because I have never tried it myself. My Windows Phone experience has been similar as well, in regards to overall OS stability.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll chime in with my own experience. A few months ago I purchased a G3 that I thought was the cat's azz. Didn't enjoy it long enough due to a triple twist with a half gainer from 14 stories, but it was excellent. After recouping funds to purchase another one I thought I was all set. Then the fabled Android lag started setting in after a month or so. I've always been vigilant about open apps and what's running in the background but the phone started to bog down and apps started crashing. Not every day, but it was noticeable. As impatient as I was, I sold it and went back to a 1520. First thing I did was put the DP on and something didn't seem quite right. I couldn't put my finger on it but you know when something's off-kilter. Downloaded the Nokia Updater and put it right back where it once was and I can tell you it's night and day. The "resuming" screen is virtually non-existent and I haven't had to reboot in the 3 weeks since I got the phone. I think I'll just wait for Denim. I've learned the hard way that being impatient will only make you A patient.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll chime in with my own experience. A few months ago I purchased a G3 that I thought was the cat's azz. Didn't enjoy it long enough due to a triple twist with a half gainer from 14 stories, but it was excellent. After recouping funds to purchase another one I thought I was all set. Then the fabled Android lag started setting in after a month or so. I've always been vigilant about open apps and what's running in the background but the phone started to bog down and apps started crashing. Not every day, but it was noticeable. As impatient as I was, I sold it and went back to a 1520. First thing I did was put the DP on and something didn't seem quite right. I couldn't put my finger on it but you know when something's off-kilter. Downloaded the Nokia Updater and put it right back where it once was and I can tell you it's night and day. The "resuming" screen is virtually non-existent and I haven't had to reboot in the 3 weeks since I got the phone. I think I'll just wait for Denim. I've learned the hard way that being impatient will only make you A patient.

Haha I know that feel. The G3 is a phone with weak hardware and poor software, I have friend with the phone and it lags terribly. Every time be presses the home button the UI reloads.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Except for the random reboots. And rapid, random battery drain. Both of which many users tried to nail down an app source but could not.

Except random reboots on phones like the ATIV S occur on the GS3 as well and only when the signal is low or non existent. Rapid, random battery drain is usually fixed with a factory reset. The fact is that those issues are not a symptom of an unstable OS unless you're using the PfD.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Except random reboots on phones like the ATIV S occur on the GS3 as well and only when the signal is low or non existent.

...but it's not a common occurrence with iOS. So how can one say that Windows Phone is the most stable OS when it shares a problem with Android but not iOS?

Rapid, random battery drain is usually fixed with a factory reset.

Sometimes, but not always. I'm telling you, go read all the threads here about rapid, random battery drain. I was once like you and thought it had to be an app problem, or that a factory reset would fix it hands down. But after reading ALL the complaints - and I did, if you read the threads you'll find I was VERY outspoken about it NOT being an OS problem - I've come to the conclusion that it can be nothing but an OS problem.

The fact is that those issues are not a symptom of an unstable OS unless you're using the PfD.

That is absolutely, in no way, a fact, by any stretch of the imagination. Again, the user reports on this very site refute that premise.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
...but it's not a common occurrence with iOS. So how can one say that Windows Phone is the most stable OS when it shares a problem with Android but not iOS?

Because, if you read my post, I didn't mention iOS and only mentioned Samsung devices and this isn't a bug but rather a feature in the firmware to prevent overheating.

Sometimes, but not always. I'm telling you, go read all the threads here about rapid, random battery drain. I was once like you and thought it had to be an app problem, or that a factory reset would fix it hands down. But after reading ALL the complaints - and I did, if you read the threads you'll find I was VERY outspoken about it NOT being an OS problem - I've come to the conclusion that it can be nothing but an OS problem.

Never had that problem myself but from all the reports I've read it only seems to be the Lumia devices that suffer with this. What that says to me is that it's either an errant app or hardware problems. If it was an OS issue then it wouldn't just be the Lumia devices that have this issue...

That is absolutely, in no way, a fact, by any stretch of the imagination. Again, the user reports on this very site refute that premise.

...and to add to my previous section, most other devices with those symptoms seem to be running the PfD which, by its very nature, isn't ready for release. Why do you think the PfD sees more updates? Remind me again what version of WP were the devices with the boot loops running?

To add to this, I would agree with you about this being OS issues IF those symptoms occurred on ALL other Windows Phones as well but they don't.

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
from all the reports I've read it only seems to be the Lumia devices that suffer with this ... most other devices with those symptoms seem to be running the PfD

For Christ's sake, man, quit arguing when you don't have all the information. Go back to the earliest posts right after Windows Phone 8 was released; the issues I've brought up apply to ALL Windows Phones - not just Lumias - and they existed long before the DP was even a thing. And they still exist to this day.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
For Christ's sake, man, quit arguing when you don't have all the information. Go back to the earliest posts right after Windows Phone 8 was released; the issues I've brought up apply to ALL Windows Phones - not just Lumias - and they existed long before the DP was even a thing. And they still exist to this day.

I do have ALL the information. Lets apply your logic to an issue I have on my Surface running the latest firmware and all the updates, I'm having issues with phantom touches on the screen and going by your logic it must be an OS issue. That's simply not the case because it hasn't occurred on any other peoples devices that I'm aware of, it can't be firmware as there would be an increase in reports of that issue with the latest firmware and it can't be an app issue as more people would have reported it, therefore the only issue it can be is the hardware.

Can you see why your logic fails, if it was an OS issue then EVERYONE with a WP would have the same problems regardless of the manufacturer and that's simply not the case.

Nice to see a reply to ALL of my post though /s

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do have ALL the information.

You obviously don't, and you seem to be ignoring me telling you where you can get it. I also think you don't actually read what's being posted... I said, "the issues I've brought up apply to ALL Windows Phones" to which you replied, "if it was an OS issue then EVERYONE with a WP would have the same problems regardless of the manufacturer and that's simply not the case." It's like you're sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling "LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING!"

So, enjoy living your peaceful life of willful ignorance, where no intermittent or random issue could possibly be the fault of the OS, especially when there are no other explanations and no other commonalities amongst those who suffer them.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Because, if you read my post, I didn't mention iOS and only mentioned Samsung devices and this isn't a bug but rather a feature in the firmware to prevent overheating.

Never had that problem myself but from all the reports I've read it only seems to be the Lumia devices that suffer with this.

You may have mentioned only Samsung, but the OP says Windows Phone is the most stable, which includes OSes like iOS and Blackberry.

Phones generally turn off when heated excessively, they don't reboot. And especially if the reboots occur with no reason, it's a bug in either software or hardware.

Sure I have heard of random reboots, but generally only in Custom ROMs(and devs are quick to fix it) or in phones that have faulty hardware.

HTC One M8 for Windows also has to have quite a lot of reboots of issues, so this problem isn't limited to Lumia.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You may have mentioned only Samsung, but the OP says Windows Phone is the most stable, which includes OSes like iOS and Blackberry.

Phones generally turn off when heated excessively, they don't reboot. And especially if the reboots occur with no reason, it's a bug in either software or hardware.

Sure I have heard of random reboots, but generally only in Custom ROMs(and devs are quick to fix it) or in phones that have faulty hardware.

HTC One M8 for Windows also has to have quite a lot of reboots of issues, so this problem isn't limited to Lumia.

Samsung devices only reboot when they have a low mobile signal to prevent overheating, not a bug but a feature in their firmware which is also on their Android devices, I have no idea why but it's something Samsung decided was need in their firmware. It might include iOS but Samsung don't create iOS devices and neither do any other WP OEMs.

The point is that rebooting isn't an OS issue, simply because everyone with a WP is essentially running the same OS. It's the manufacturer drivers, apps or hardware faults that can cause this issue, not the OS itself.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
All OS reboots. In fact a hot phone SHOULD reboot, or at least shut down, for those users without enough sense to shut those phones down on their own.

It depends on what you're doing with the phone. Downloading, in particular, locks up a phone, especially if the video files are over 100 MB.

P_1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I have 920 with 8.1 and its been acting weird lately. M double tap does not work and neither the power button. Everytime I have to do soft reset to get the screen and its been very irritating. Also mic is not working properly. Guys any tips or suggestions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss