Christmas Eve and Android Free (at last!)

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
At last, after 4 months of frustration with the Moto G 4G, I am finally free of Android, and have a full refund for the faulty device (camera is inherently faulty, firmware update does not fix the issue with reading some micro SD cards.) What a great Christmas present!

After getting the refund, I visited the O2 and Three stores to wee which Windows phones I might be able to purchase. In O2 the sales people tried hard to steer me towards Android phones, and were surprised when I declined pointing out that Android is a bit of a mess. They asked what I meant... so I went along the LG, Sony, and Samgung phones showing them the different versions of Android each was running. Android 4.1 was the lowest version, 4.4 the highest. Of course, it wasn't as simple as that, as each manufacturer uses a different skin, so finding the 'About this Phone' menu item was different on each make. But it served as an example of what is wrong with Android - fragmentation within and across brands.

Having been using Windows Phone for a couple of months, I now find Android quite awkward to use; it just feels clumsy and clunky, even though it's generally smooth (though not as smooth as WP or iOS.)

Alas, I didn't find another Windows Phone to buy today, so I'll have to wait until after Chritstmas to see what becomes available in the sales. The next step up from the L735 would be good if I could get it at a good price.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I would look at the 830, bit dearer than the 735, but it's a really nice phone, I got the wife one and she gets it tomorrow morning (Xmas) me and my lad a little look at it and we would both be happy to have one, I have the 1520 and my boy a 930, you should get some deals after Xmas but you have probably missed out on the free Bluetooth speaker and Wireless charging plate.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 625, 920, 930, 1020 and 1520, so I've got experience with low and high end phones. I personally think the Lumia 735 is a great device with little compromises.

However the Lumia 830, although better, is a lot more expensive. I would avoid the 830 simply because of the high price (?50 extra gets you the Lumia 930 which has very little compromises).

The Lumia 735 has the same amount of ram, same cpu, better front facing camera, and is lighter. All for a much lower bill, compared to the 830.

If you want a Lumia 830, you may as well pay extra for Lumia 930, which is a lot better.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I love the 735. Almost exactly the same dimensions as the iPhone 6, but far more attractive.

I can wait to buy another Windows Phone. I'm sure the prices will drop after Christmas, so I'll just keep an eye out and see what becomes available. I could get the 1020 for under ?200, but the fixed battery, lack of card slot, and negligilble Denim improvements make me wary of it. But that camera... makes me drool.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I love the 735. Almost exactly the same dimensions as the iPhone 6, but far more attractive.

I can wait to buy another Windows Phone. I'm sure the prices will drop after Christmas, so I'll just keep an eye out and see what becomes available. I could get the 1020 for under ?200, but the fixed battery, lack of card slot, and negligilble Denim improvements make me wary of it. But that camera... makes me drool.

If you can get the Lumia 1020, you should. The camera indeed does make me drool. Just be aware that the camera does lag after taking a picture. It is a great phone though, but the Lumia 735 is a very sexy device. I'm considering getting one.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 1020s, a 520 and a 521. Even the 520/1 is an awesome phone. Does everything I want it to do, no frills and cheap as dirt. The camera is better on that phone than it is on the iPhone 5s my son has. The 1020s are my wifes and mine. The BEST phone available at the moment. Nope, it don't have the top spec, but guess what, It does not need it. The camera is MILES better than any other camera in a smart or dumb (iPhone) phone.

I would grab a 1020 FAST.

I just received the new 521 today for my mother in law, I have the screen setup with full width icons for everything so its easier for her to use. Its fast with 8.1 and I notice no lag. For 60 bucks, it kills any budget and half the mid range Android phones.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There's a small chance in daylight the 520 could be considered better from someone's personal taste if you don't zoom in but add lower light shots or most others and the 5s will always best the 520.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
we are going by side by side photos in our living room at Christmas. We took a few and the 520 handled the lighting better, and I bet the 5 does NOT beat the 925. Apple is all about gimmicks, like the slow mo camera etc. actual image quality of the pictures, the nokia beat it in our views.

I did not even try my 1020 as we know that mops up anything else in the smartphone world, I took photos at the NHL game and so did my son, sitting right next to me and his were horrible. Mine were clear, bright and sharp. No contest.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
we are going by side by side photos in our living room at Christmas. We took a few and the 520 handled the lighting better, and I bet the 5 does NOT beat the 925. Apple is all about gimmicks, like the slow mo camera etc. actual image quality of the pictures, the nokia beat it in our views.

I did not even try my 1020 as we know that mops up anything else in the smartphone world, I took photos at the NHL game and so did my son, sitting right next to me and his were horrible. Mine were clear, bright and sharp. No contest.
The guy that runs this website, Daniel, he says the 5s camera is better than the 925. That's good enough for me. 520 is a great phone, i had a 521 and really liked it. Maybe your son's skills as a photographer come into play here. I still hear people say the 1020 takes bad pictures and at that point you know either the phone is damaged or it's operator error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234