Why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Sure, I will PM you with my collated summary. We can order pizza and beer and match it up with MDMcAtee's documented instances of "hate." Good times.
Bob I have been overly critical of all of the platforms in the past. I am no angle by any means, however most of my criticism has been directed at the companies mistakes not just the platform.

There is no perfect phone platform for everyone and even though I use a Android m8 doesn't mean that I hate WP....

Would I love to see some of the same options I have with it on the WP version, absolutely. .. If that was possible I would be using the WP version today.

My dear old Grandmother once told me when I was a child ... " a wiseman can always change his mind, but a fool never does"... It took me a while to figure that out...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I read Android Central almost every day, and I don't see them bashing Windows Phone or Microsoft constantly, over and over. Perhaps you're seeing something I'm not? Are there any recent threads over there where you see WP hate happening?

I agree. The bashing is much more prevalent in this forum. Even the moderating is different here. But as Laura mentioned, we do have Phone Wars.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
While I fully understand the wants for the platform to be unique I also understand that there needs to be similarities enough so that people can be comfortable with it,and allow those who want to change things to their respective choices to do so. While the way it is may be perfect for some, it's not for all.

If Microsoft ever realizes this, and relents while maintaining all the security features people will flock to the platform in numbers unseen before and then too will the developers come.

I'm hoping for the next release to do this but until then I will remain away and hopefully folks who are badmouthing all the other platforms will chill out some.
MS has already moved some of what was unique with WP toward a more "recognizable" user experience when they released 8.1. Features like the notification center and apps with more iOS/Android-like designs (hamburger button being a good example) are becoming more of the norm. While it might help pursued some non-WP users to come to the platform it is making many current WP users upset. "If I wanted my WP to feel like an Android I would have an Android."

But again, I see your point. If the UI were to change to be more like iOS/Android to bait people in its familiarity, once market share was solid it would be nice to see MS switch it back to a more pure WP experience. There are numerous things I can do on my WP that take less steps than my wife on her iPhone.

But making WP another iOS/Android clone isn't the answer. WP has much larger hurdles to jump over: salespeople bias, MS / Windows reputation, media hate, etc...

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
MS has already moved some of what was unique with WP toward a more "recognizable" user experience when they released 8.1. Features like the notification center and apps with more iOS/Android-like designs (hamburger button being a good example) are becoming more of the norm. While it might help pursued some non-WP users to come to the platform it is making many current WP users upset. "If I wanted my WP to feel like an Android I would have an Android."

But again, I see your point. If the UI were to change to be more like iOS/Android to bait people in its familiarity, once market share was solid it would be nice to see MS switch it back to a more pure WP experience. There are numerous things I can do on my WP that take less steps than my wife on her iPhone.

But making WP another iOS/Android clone isn't the answer. WP has much larger hurdles to jump over: salespeople bias, MS / Windows reputation, media hate, etc...
The salespeople and media bias can be overcome provided some real changes take place with the OS and if Microsoft brings out some real top spec'd flagship phones without being locked into carrier restrictions.

I know that there are many purists who really really dislike anything that resembles Android but the reality is that the various Android phones are the most popular and prevalent and most used and continue to be. If these purists truly wanted WP to take over, they are going to have to step out of their comfort zone and embrace the changes that need to be made to accomplish this. Microsoft will have to step up their game as well by competing head to head with Google on all of the carriers with phones that are just as powerful with the spec's that meet or exceed the other platforms. Low end phones to most Android users and the media doesn't elicit excitement and getting them excited is the best way to get people buying.

The attitude towards the other platforms needs to be directed at Microsoft to step up and stop targeting the #2 and go after the # 1 head to head spec for spec.... feature for feature...That is competition and the way it's being done now is being a also-ran........

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My position has been that the amount of hate about this device and its development from the people here will drive me away from Windows Phone. Having said that and as was said earlier, I don't dislike android per se but its parent company. And not even the parent as much as its current leadership. That needs to change. I don't have issue with IOS which is where, if I ever left here, would find myself. I don't have any plans on leaving Windows Phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

There is a reason that things we use tend to morph into similar designs, and that is that the most practical and useful forms are usually the end result of evolution. 50+ years ago almost every vehicle model looked different, and changed every year. Nowadays most cars look roughly the same. They have similar basic designs. The reason is that all automakers ended up at the same place because it's the most aerodynamic, therefore boosting economy.

To carry that concept over to smartphones, there is no doubt that Android is the most popular. Almost 6 of every 7 smartphones sold runs Android, and that's after competing with 3 other popular platforms and several smaller miscellaneous ones. And even after saturating the market, Android continues to grow, while the others are stagnant at best.

Shouldn't the others look at Android to see what it's doing right, and emulate it? Well, at least emulate it as much as they can without crossing patent boundaries. Android has a combination that works, and works well. It's a balance of form, functionality, and economy.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I get along quite well with my Widows Phone and my iPhone6. Have never even tried Android but I'm sure I could get along with that once I understand it. Never really got into the schoolyard debate of who has the biggest stick. Don't really care. But I do read the this thread from time to time. Usually in the morning with good coffee.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I rarely come to phone wars. I get into enough of that arguing with the HTC fanboys lmao.

I do hate android and google personally. I can respect their innovations and development but I dislike the company.

I respect apple a lot and i love their quality of the product and os. A great company imo.

I was raised on Microsoft products. Office, windows, and many other things and they earned my respect and loyalty. I begin to see the alternatives as I grew up but there is nothing aside from YouTube that google can offer me.

Google is an inferior company to me and I simply don't want anything to do with them.

There is nothing wrong with being loyal to a company or be against a company.
Typed on my Pikachu lumia 1520( aka the best phone) via tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The salespeople and media bias can be overcome provided some real changes take place with the OS and if Microsoft brings out some real top spec'd flagship phones without being locked into carrier restrictions.

I know that there are many purists who really really dislike anything that resembles Android but the reality is that the various Android phones are the most popular and prevalent and most used and continue to be. If these purists truly wanted WP to take over, they are going to have to step out of their comfort zone and embrace the changes that need to be made to accomplish this. Microsoft will have to step up their game as well by competing head to head with Google on all of the carriers with phones that are just as powerful with the spec's that meet or exceed the other platforms. Low end phones to most Android users and the media doesn't elicit excitement and getting them excited is the best way to get people buying.

The attitude towards the other platforms needs to be directed at Microsoft to step up and stop targeting the #2 and go after the # 1 head to head spec for spec.... feature for feature...That is competition and the way it's being done now is being a also-ran........

If windows phone and Microsoft keep going to this android way of life I probably will leave the OS for good.

I was against the rumor of android apps on windows phone.

Nokia x with android I was against.

I guess I am a purist. I want a windows phone 8 experience with Lumia only hardware.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Those Android and iPhone fanboys show so much ignorance and hate for WP, we are just paying them back in their own coin. Nothing wrong in that IMO.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to take Visa's bait, but I will respond to you, MDMcAtee, in the most polite way I can. To me, it seems that you have a distinct bias that you are unaware of. I see you posting in Android Central constantly referring to iSheeps and I also remember you coming to the defense of a poster who opined "Windows Phone: Dumb Phones for Dumb People." If you think you are somehow above the fray, I don't see it. That makes it particularly objectionable that you would come to Windows Central and berate the forum for some nebulous, undefined "hate." As they say, those in glass houses....

Good day, sir.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
If windows phone and Microsoft keep going to this android way of life I probably will leave the OS for good.

I was against the rumor of android apps on windows phone.

Nokia x with android I was against.

I guess I am a purist. I want a windows phone 8 experience with Lumia only hardware.
The problem with this is about how much the platform can move forward while remaining true to those like yourself who refuse to accept the needed changes to allow it to appeal to the majority of smartphone users.

Clinging to the past won't allow the platform to appeal to the majority of smartphone users, and while some people prefer things the way they are, many people are going to look at the other platforms for their purchases.

I am quite sure Microsoft could allow some changes to the OS and the phones if they really wanted to that could make everybody happy.

But without changes there won't be enough excitement to convince people to switch, nor convince the media to believe in it, or convince the people who sell them to promote them as they should.

The negative mindset against Google and Apple is a big part of the cause of the large amount of hate here, just as the closed mindedness for change.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not going to take Visa's bait, but I will respond to you, MDMcAtee, in the most polite way I can. To me, it seems that you have a distinct bias that you are unaware of. I see you posting in Android Central constantly referring to iSheeps and I also remember you coming to the defense of a poster who opined "Windows Phone: Dumb Phones for Dumb People." If you think you are somehow above the fray, I don't see it. That makes it particularly objectionable that you would come to Windows Central and berate the forum for some nebulous, undefined "hate." As they say, those in glass houses....

Good day, sir.
Yes sir and I have completely changed my view of all of this.

My biases are no longer my driving force behind me.

I went back and reviewed many of my posts and realized that I needed to change.

I have been cautioned by the moderators here to be nicer and to stop fighting with people and that is exactly what I elected to do.

I am offering up my feelings on what can make things better without fighting or name calling wherever I am at.

Past is past and I suggest that we all move forward to try to make things better for all, and if this offends you or anyone else I do apologize.

I have been told not to use words like isheeps or Android fanatics even in casual conversation anymore , because it may offend someone and as such trying to find a common ground elected to try and find what can help. I feel that the hatred for the other platforms which can be easily seen is part of the problem and as such is the reason for my post.

Again if this upsets you or anyone else I do apologize for it.

Hope you understand

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not sure of the rationale behind this forum. It was around before I even became a member of this site, much less a moderator. I know that CrackBerry (where I originally came from, as I had a BlackBerry from 2009-2012), AndroidCentral and iMore don't have Phone Wars forums. Just the title of the forum itself seems to lend itself toward arguments. It's not something I like to see.

Then can I suggest that maybe this forum "Can make like a tree and get out of here". (movie joke, points for which one)

Really, with great power comes great responsibility. (ok, I am done) Maybe a moderator/ambassador can close Phone Wars.. Not sure it is used for its intended purpose or if it should even be.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Then can I suggest that maybe this forum "Can make like a tree and get out of here". (movie joke, points for which one)

Really, with great power comes great responsibility. (ok, I am done) Maybe a moderator/ambassador can close Phone Wars.. Not sure it is used for its intended purpose or if it should even be.
I feel just the opposite. The more hatred and venom we spew here the better off we are. Coming back and reading some of these posts may cause SOME of us to realize how foolish we sound. As long as it stays out of personal attack mode, let er' buck!

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm really not sure of the rationale behind this forum. It was around before I even became a member of this site, much less a moderator. I know that CrackBerry (where I originally came from, as I had a BlackBerry from 2009-2012), AndroidCentral and iMore don't have Phone Wars forums. Just the title of the forum itself seems to lend itself toward arguments. It's not something I like to see.
FWIW

Actually Android Central does have a phone wars forum it's in the Android Lounge and imore has their iteration of it in their other os's forum but not called phone wars and there's a current thread going on there about which platform to choose... Micah even posted on it..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
FWIW

Actually Android Central does have a phone wars forum it's in the Android Lounge and imore has their iteration of it in their other os's forum but not called phone wars and there's a current thread going on there about which platform to choose... Micah even posted on it..

Thanks! I'll take a look and see what those forums are like.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe there is less negativity on AndroidCentral toward Microsoft than on WindowsCentral toward Google simply because Microsoft services are available on Android. If Android users want Skype and Office they've got it. However, Windows Phone users can't get Google Maps, Hangouts or any of the Google services beside search. That's the result of Microsoft's and Google's business decisions. Microsoft provided its services to other platforms but Google hasn't provided its services to Windows Phone.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb