01-09-2015 09:53 AM
69 123
tools
    I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there are other things in a phone besides processor that consumes battery.

I,m sorry you can do all the bench mark test you want, in the real world my M8 out last my wifes 1520, I could care less if you believe it or not, she has 4 apps that run in the back ground and I have 6, she plays Solitaire and I play heavy video using games. This is not my first rodeo I know how to set up a phone for max battery usage and hers is set up just like mine. I am not saying everyone will get the same but the M8 running Windows has great battery life.
    Seriously, lets forget this thread about these two phones. To me it sounds like your wife's phone has something wrong with it. Trust me. I would take it in to get it fixed.

And for the last time, here are the GSM Arena's battery test they have done, and as long as someone else provides clinical data of some other test, we have to go with this. This is neutral and we probably dont think they have an agenda of any sort?

Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

Mind you that HTC m8 for Windows does really well on their tests. Overall ranking just below iPhone 6+, that is a very good result.
    01-04-2015 03:38 AM
    I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there are other things in a phone besides processor that consumes battery.
    I am more than aware of what destroys battery life on cellphones. But what you refuse to take into account is that before any apps are installed or running in the background, before anything is done to the phone with a particular user, the difference between the processors dictates what the end users have to start with.

The more efficient it is will determine just how long it will go between charges, regardless of what the end user does with it. If one draws more from the battery than the other, the one drawing more provided both are being used the same, will drain faster.

I have used both phones extensively and use both in the same manner,understand this.

I am not saying that the 1520 is a slouch in the battery stats by no means, however the m8 is better because of the newer version of the processor with it's optimizations for battery management and the improvement built into the chipsets.

This is not subjective to just my opinion, it is a undisputed fact.

I'm a power user and as being one I opt for the chipset that offers the best power management from the start to fulfill my needs. Newer versions of the same chipsets offer this... and they always have.

Everyone's results will be different because of how they use their devices even with the same device and the only objective comparison that I consider valid is for equal usage on both over a period of time.

I have done this.... Have you?

I'm sorry you don't believe that a newer chipset makes a major difference between these devices, but I am not alone in seeing this here as others have stated.

I do suggest that you actually research this properly by visiting more than 1 site so that you can get a real understanding of what the cpu does for better battery life, after all just having a larger battery doesn't mean that your phone will last longer than one with a smaller battery but newer processor.
    bmetelsky likes this.
    01-04-2015 09:18 AM
    I'm dying, I really am.
    01-04-2015 09:47 AM
    The bottom line folks. The HTC One M8 IS the current Windows Phone flagship. The Lumia 1520, Lumia 930/Icon, and the Samsung Ativ SE are all also fine choices. The only real shame is that all of these phones weren't made more widely available around the world. Hopefully the next flagship will be regardless of whom it comes from. These limited and exclusive releases need to stop. Anyway, that's one mans opinion. Your mileage may very.
    01-04-2015 09:55 AM
    I always thought, and actually still think, all of the above phones are flagship's. Call me stupid, but that's how I see it.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    01-04-2015 10:09 AM
    The bottom line folks. The HTC One M8 IS the current Windows Phone flagship. The Lumia 1520, Lumia 930/Icon, and the Samsung Ativ SE are all also fine choices. The only real shame is that all of these phones weren't made more widely available around the world. Hopefully the next flagship will be regardless of whom it comes from. These limited and exclusive releases need to stop. Anyway, that's one mans opinion. Your mileage may very.
    Yup.....I agree

These carrier exclusive deals really holds the platform back here in the USA.
    01-04-2015 10:15 AM
    Yup.....I agree

These carrier exclusive deals really holds the platform back here in the USA.
    It's good to see we all finally agree on something. As 'Mutt said, what do you all think of AT&T's Next?
    01-04-2015 10:58 AM
    I always thought, and actually still think, all of the above phones are flagship's. Call me stupid, but that's how I see it.
    You're stupid.

Just kidding. Agreed. They are all flagships but the M8 is the latest of the bunch.
    Loco5150 likes this.
    01-04-2015 11:24 AM
    It's good to see we all finally agree on something. As 'Mutt said, what do you all think of AT&T's Next?
    I am on it. It is a nice way of getting off contract, getting a top of the line phone every year earlier than waiting 2 years for one. Yes you pay full price for it if you keep it for the full term of the payoff, but those who opt for the program are wanting new phones earlier than those who aren't on it.
    If you want the best price for one there are cheaper solutions to be had, but if your contract is up and you are looking for a new carrier or staying with AT&T then you can negotiate some great packages.

It does help to go into the store knowing what you want instead of just relying on the salespeople to give you the best choice.

So.. For myself it is a great plan and serves my family's needs... YMMV
    01-04-2015 11:31 AM
    Appreciating all the comparisons guys. Seems like I'm good either way. Considering that the high end Lumia line is like the Nexus line in terms of software updates I'm thinking I'll go with the 1520. To bad Micah got banned before I could ask for more detail on the AT&T Next stuff.

Overall the M8 seems solid. Its more premium from a hardware standpoint but lacks in Camera and screen size. Its still in though. I'll do my best to wait for CES and the 1/20 event before finally deciding.
    To everyone else, please remember this was a thread to help a user decide on a device. Now that the deision on the device has been made, what does everyone think of the AT&T Next program?
    Doesn't look to me like the OP has made a decision yet.

I'm on Verizon, so don't know for sure, but the Next program sounds very similar to the Verizon Edge program. You buy the device with no contract, and make equal payments on the phone until it is paid off. Once you pay off 50%, you have the option of "Edging Up" to a new phone, but have to send in the last device, unless you want to pay it off. If you pay it off, you can keep it and do whatever you want with it. Honestly, I think it's a good program. I get to upgrade my device much quicker then if I was on a two year contract. I generally like to have a new phone about once per year.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-04-2015 11:40 AM
    Appreciating all the comparisons guys. Seems like I'm good either way. Considering that the high end Lumia line is like the Nexus line in terms of software updates I'm thinking I'll go with the 1520. To bad Micah got banned before I could ask for more detail on the AT&T Next stuff.

Overall the M8 seems solid. Its more premium from a hardware standpoint but lacks in Camera and screen size. Its still in though. I'll do my best to wait for CES and the 1/20 event before finally deciding.
    I'm back ;) still recommend the 1520 as well :P also with regards to the 800 vs 801 processors, the 801 is the newer version and with it comes some improvements. However none you will truly notice if you choose the m8 over the 1520 and the 1520 over the m8. I was trying to explain to my android friend that his new Lumia 535 that I sold him on over his android phone doesn't necessarily make it worse because the clock speed was 200mhz higher on the android phone. Same case here as well. Nor does it mean the m8 will be supported longer than the icon or m8.

I love att next. I feel like it is probably one of the better things att has done. I wish the att next was a little more flexible like tmobiles jump and you could upgrade twice a year/every 6 months but I use the 12 month cycle.

If Lumia releases were on a set schedule like iPhones where they came out around the same time each year it would be perfect for me. But I wholeheartedly recommend it as you are technically not in a contract with att...along with getting your 1520.3 ;)
    01-06-2015 08:02 AM
    I agree as well. There is no one 'current' flagship. All 4 phones are able to be purchased from either their respective carriers and or Microsoft :) just because one was released a few months later doesn't negate the others who came a few months before...
    01-06-2015 08:06 AM
    I agree with that just wish that MS had a means to make sure all models of their current flagship phones would get their firmware updates at the same time.
    01-07-2015 08:01 AM
    Please, man. The M8 playing heavy games could never ever outlast a Lumia 1520 in battery life by playing just solitaire. Either your wife phone has many things running and eating battery like Facebook or Messenger.
    01-07-2015 08:10 AM
    I have the 1520.3 and am satisfied with it overall. I wish it had a few more phablet features (digitizer, etc.), and the touch/swipe issue can be annoying at times, but overall it is still the best WP out in my opinion. B and H photo as the 1520.3 right now in stock, so you can even get the one with Qi if you want.
    1520.3 | B&H Photo Video

01-07-2015 08:13 AM
    I agree with that just wish that MS had a means to make sure all models of their current flagship phones would get their firmware updates at the same time.
    That's next to impossible with carrier-supplied models.
    01-07-2015 10:02 AM
    That's next to impossible with carrier-supplied models.
    So I hear but still would be nice to have if a way could be found.
    01-07-2015 05:34 PM
    I have an HTC One 8.1. I couldn't wait for AT&T to finally get it and now I am sorry I did. the Lumias have more built in functionality than the HTC One and HTC support sucks. I am even concerned about the future of the windows phone in general. I have ask many mainstream businesses why they don't have a windows based phone app and the reply is either there is not enough demand to justify the cost or they had one and dropped it for the same reason.
    01-08-2015 10:58 PM
    I have an HTC One 8.1. I couldn't wait for AT&T to finally get it and now I am sorry I did. the Lumias have more built in functionality than the HTC One and HTC support sucks. I am even concerned about the future of the windows phone in general. I have ask many mainstream businesses why they don't have a windows based phone app and the reply is either there is not enough demand to justify the cost or they had one and dropped it for the same reason.
    I am just wondering what functionality you are missing on your HTC ? and how has HTC let you down on support for your phone?
    01-09-2015 09:53 AM
69 123