Lumia 1520 vs. HTC One M8

Japanmanx3

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Ugh so I'm conflicted. Do I get a 1520 or the One M8 for windows. I'm on AT&T so I can get either one.

The Lumia brand is what I'm used to. I have two 1020's so I've been dealing with them since WP8. Its a solid device and huge, which I like since I have huge hands. I'm assuming the Lumia 1520 has Micro SD support still. I know the AT&T variant took out the Qi wireless charging.

On the other hand the One M8 would come with the Xbox Dot Case for free. Plus its a sexy phone tbh. And I know it still has Micro SD support.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of waiting til the January event but as many others think, I'm not hopeful that any hardware will be released. Plus if I want to keep some of my AT&T discounts I'll have to join the AT&T Next program (anyone got any impressions of this? Its confusing...) so I might as well go in now...

Thanks in advance guys.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have a 1520.3 and love it, but i don't think you can go wrong with either one. Most of us only have one phone and no matter which one you choose some other one will have something you want. That's life.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I would buy the Lumia hands down. Camera, battery, touch buttons, IPS screen that does not consume more battery with white.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly you would do well with either phone. What it comes down to is if you don't care about size and camera is important to you go with the 1520. If the camera isn't, then the M8 is the better phone.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I check about an hour ago and B&H Photo has new 1520.3 in white and yellow new with free shipping. This has 32 GB memory, Qi wireless charging and SD card slot. They are selling for $519 new.

They also had a used one in black for $399 shipped. It looked in excellent condition.

You might want to check this out.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Honestly you would do well with either phone. What it comes down to is if you don't care about size and camera is important to you go with the 1520. If the camera isn't, then the M8 is the better phone.

​Not really. The only major differences between the two are the processor/gpu and camera. The processor/gpu on the M8 is superior while the camera on the 1520 is superior. Everything else, be it size, build quality, built in apps/features, is more based on opinion.

​Although with the AT&T version, you're most likely stuck with 16 GB of storage and PMA charging which can be major factors as well... but that's AT&Ts fault. If those things are important, I would go for the M8 unless you have money to shell out towards a 1520.3.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Too late XD

Lumia 1520. It's a better overall phone :) And a beast<3

I love Att next program. I have two lines on it....so at any given time I can upgrade when I want to. One is eligible now and the other(my 1520) is eligible later in the summer...close to when the Win10 devices are launching.

People who speak about the processor in the M8....yes it is newer. However, it really irrelevant. Compared to your 1020, it is a beast...Compared to the Lumia 1520 it is literally not noticeable.

Features like Hey Cortana(always on cortana) are coming to your 1520 and not the M8.

It has SD support...Much better camera(No point in stepping down from 41 megapixel to simply 4)

Lumia apps....

Microsoft centric apps that appear to only be Lumia/Surface centric.

You'll likely be getting Win10 update long before HTC(if history proves itself).

The only reason I'd recommend a M8 over a Lumia 1520....is simple. You want the speakers...and even then the speaker on the 1520 is excellent to me :)

AS far as Dot view goes...I work with it(and Lumia devices). From what I gather, it's a cool feature to some and rather pointless to some. I've heard complaints about the dot View not working 100 percent properly both here and with my job. I never have any issues with glance :D

Stick with the best OEM and get a Lumia 1520 and come hang with the big boys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Japanmanx3

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like 1520 is the way to go. What's the difference between the 1520.3 and the AT&T variant? Expandable memory would be much appreciated. Even more so than the convenience of Qi wireless charging since I can just get the cover.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like 1520 is the way to go. What's the difference between the 1520.3 and the AT&T variant? Expandable memory would be much appreciated. Even more so than the convenience of Qi wireless charging since I can just get the cover.
You will llove the 1520 :)

The 1520.3, from what I understand is essentially the same version that non us people got. 32 gb storage(16 gb for att) built in and qi charging built into it as well. It also supports 3g and lte on att and tmobile.

I got that from ZDNet :)

Other than that it has the same specs as the att version and micro SD support.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T 1520 is available with 32GB in black only. I just picked up the "Swamp Thing" green model a couple of days ago and I had the choice. I was returning the M8 because the Softcard app would not work. If this is important, stay away from the M8 on AT&T. I spent an hour on a conference call with AT&T and HTC to get that app working but to no avail. After 2 devices and 3 SIMs, even HTC couldn't get it working on their in-house device. Oops.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
FWIW...I traded my 1520 for a M8.

What you need to do is go somewhere and compare both phones side by side before you do anything.

I say this for a reason because unless you are used to carrying around such a large phone you could quite possible be overwhelmed by the sheer size difference in the 2 phones once you have them in hand.

You need to be honest to yourself how you go about carrying them around ,what activities you normally do with them on your person,how much protection you need for them while at work and while at play before deciding which one to get. That big screen needs a lot of protection and depending if you are the type that normally caries the phone around in a belt holster,in your pants pocket,in your shirt pockets,in a arm holster while running,jogging,walking,then you really need to consider which phone best suits your lifestyle.

Both are very nice phones but there are some major differences in how they perform. Besides just the external speakers the HTC also is amplified for headphones as well where the 1520 is not.Depending on your music/movie habits and which headphones /earbuds/external BT speaker system if any you normally prefer should be taken into consideration as a part of your decision.

Current types /amounts of additional cases favor the HTC since it is also available as a Android model and there are all types to choose from,where as the Lumia is limited . This may or not matter but if it does it is another consideration to look at.

Both phones have very nice screens and that big slab that the 1520 has is awesome to watch ,however is color saturation and hues matter from my time with both models the HTC is more accurate in color representation than the 1520 and text is a lot sharper and crisper too.

Now as to the camera yes the 1520 is a good camera but falls flat on it's face in low light pictures and especially videos as compared to the HTC.I was very disapointed in the 1520's performance in low light shots,but in normal lighting exceedingly happy with it's performance over the HTC.It doesn't matter what phone you get these days none of the camera are perfect in all regards and all have compromises..some just more than others...I do love the zoom capabilities and the stabilization the 1520 offers..but the faster response of the HTC is pretty sweet too...

Signal reception...in my area and all over my state the HTC gets better reception indoors and outdoors.It's quicker to latch onto any ATT carrier signal,gps signal or wifi signal and has proven to do better on download speeds and throughput .

Software...no one on this forum can tell you what HTC is going to do and what it will get or not get in future updates and if they try to tell you take it with a grain of salt because they flat don't know .FWIW It has a later processor (801 vs 800 ) and is quite capable to handle everything the 1520 can and then some.

Where the 1520 shines is watching movies and that is because of the screen size. It's just a great phone in this regard. If this is why you want one then by all means go and get one..They are excellent for this..but..if you normally carry the phone in your pockets day in and day out get the HTC..the 1520 digitizer has a tendency to seperate from being stressed.

Personally...don't get either on contract because in a few months the new models will be coming out and you don't want to get stuck with either for a year or 2.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One M8 is overall the better phone. The only thing the 1520 has over the M8 is the camera. If you want a phone with a great camera go with the 1520. If the camera doesn't matter that much to you(because despite what people say the M8 camera isn't really that bad) then the best choice is the M8.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Lol. Im sorry but thats simply not true. The 1520 has a battery that beats the one in M8 right out of the water.

It's about your personal need and neither is superior here. I personally would take the 1520 any day over the HTC.

For me the things are: Camera, AMAZING battery, the IPS screen where whites don't consume more battery and the size is a plus, but of course it can have it downside sometimes. I love the fact I can type long messages and emails and never have to turn to landscape.

I don't like the onscreen buttons on the HTC, because the space where the buttons would be is still there unused in the bottom.

Eagerly waiting on W10 as merging WP and RT for sure will bring new functionality to our 1520's. Also exited of the new upcoming office experience.

When I bought the 1520 I also bought the 930. I kept the 1520 even though I really wanted to have a 5" device, it just has so many good things going for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786