Lumia 1520 vs. HTC One M8

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One M8 is overall the better phone.

The operative word being "phone". It is easier to use as a phone than the 1520. But because it's so tall, not really easier as a smartphone. I know it's a trade-off for having front-firing speakers but also having the power button placed at the top edge makes it tougher for one-handed use. You can't go wrong with either device, it just depends on what your primary needs are. There is no "winner" in this horse race as both are as good as it gets.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The power button on top of the M8 hasn't been a problem for me. The M8 has double tap to wake, which has worked flawlessly flirt me. The M8 is not overly tall, and fits on my pants pocket without issue. I like the software buttons better than the built in buttons of other phones. I switched from an icon to the M8 and an completely happy 😊. The only trade off, in my opinion, was the camera, but the one in the M8 has been fine for me.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 is a good phone, but so too is the m8.

Both will do well for just about anyone.

Spec's play an important role in most flagship phones,after all getting newer hardware is part of buying a flagship phone in the first place and in choosing a new phone the newer the hardware the longer term in upgrading plays a role.

The HTC has newer chipsets for just about everything in it. Anandtech has a full explanation of the benefits to the 801 chipsets over the older / slower 800 chipsets.

Of course this means nothing to those who don't have a clue but love to discount any Non Lumina phone, and run others down but hey what ever floats their boats.

I am happy with my choice of phone and hopefully everyone else is as well, but I still suggest that the op does a side by side comparison prior to spending any money on either... It's usually the best way of seeing for oneself which one to choose.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can think to tell you is if you care more about the quality of your photos than overall performance, then go with the 1520. Performance-wise, the HTC One M8 is stellar. But it has not the greatest camera on it. Its decent enough but it can't do what the 1520 can with photos.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything you said :)

I also hate the onscreen buttons and I am going to be sick if Lumia has them on their high ends. Please for the love of goodness, don't do that. It looks horrible on the phones that do have them. I like capacitive buttons. It seems so hard to hit those onscreen buttons in my opinion.

Lol. Im sorry but thats simply not true. The 1520 has a battery that beats the one in M8 right out of the water.

It's about your personal need and neither is superior here. I personally would take the 1520 any day over the HTC.

For me the things are: Camera, AMAZING battery, the IPS screen where whites don't consume more battery and the size is a plus, but of course it can have it downside sometimes. I love the fact I can type long messages and emails and never have to turn to landscape.

I don't like the onscreen buttons on the HTC, because the space where the buttons would be is still there unused in the bottom.

Eagerly waiting on W10 as merging WP and RT for sure will bring new functionality to our 1520's. Also exited of the new upcoming office experience.

When I bought the 1520 I also bought the 930. I kept the 1520 even though I really wanted to have a 5" device, it just has so many good things going for it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The hardware is newer as the Lumia 1520 is essentially a bigger Icon/930 and also is apart of Microsoft/Lumia's upgrade path. Having an 801 processor doesn't mean that the M8 is going to be upgraded longer than the 930 or 1520. Especially when you put the history of HTC in question :)

And again, I am an employee who uses, sells the devices(including the m8 and lumia) and works with customers and specifically with Windows Phone and Windows Devices(Surface) and most recently Xbox. Not only that, I am also a passionate evangelist of windows phone....so I actually do quite a bit ;) Because someone doesn't praise your M8 and points out its flaws does not mean they are running you down.

Are you an evangelist of Windows Phone or Lumia? Careful with what you might suggest to a customer. If Microsoft decides to leave the hardware side of WP one day what will you say to a prospective customer? HTC sucks, but just a little? We need as many OEMs to jump onboard and flood the market with WP devices. Some will be low end and others may be top flight models. In fact, some of them may even have onscreen buttons. Not having to map capacitive buttons is beneficial to OEMs like HTC who took a successful Android phone and brought it over with a minimum of expense. I'd love to see a WP version of the LG G3.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you an evangelist of Windows Phone or Lumia? Careful with what you might suggest to a customer. If Microsoft decides to leave the hardware side of WP one day what will you say to a prospective customer? HTC sucks, but just a little? We need as many OEMs to jump onboard and flood the market with WP devices. Some will be low end and others may be top flight models. In fact, some of them may even have onscreen buttons. Not having to map capacitive buttons is beneficial to OEMs like HTC who took a successful Android phone and brought it over with a minimum of expense. I'd love to see a WP version of the LG G3.
I am a windows phone evangelist . I do recommend Lumia because they are the best for me personally.

With that said should they stop making Lumia, I can recommend other devices.

For the Lumia fans who couldn't get an icon on Verizon I did recommend they get the Samsung ativ se over the m8, as it too is a better phone than the m8 in my opinion :)

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am a windows phone evangelist . I do recommend Lumia because they are the best for me personally.

With that said should they stop making Lumia, I can recommend other devices.

For the Lumia fans who couldn't get an icon on Verizon I did recommend they get the Samsung ativ se over the m8, as it too is a better phone than the m8 in my opinion :)

In no way whatsoever is the Ativ SE better then the M8. Opinions are one thing but when you're wrong your wrong.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In no way whatsoever is the Ativ SE better then the M8. Opinions are one thing but when you're wrong your wrong.

I've owned both and I would agree with Micah that the Ativ SE is a better device than the M8. The display is much sharper, the camera is almost as good as a Lumia and it's one of the few phones left with a removable battery. Yeah, it's plastic. But it's very elegantly dressed in faux chrome. Other than that, they're evenly matched heavyweights with IR blasters too.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
If Camer is your thing and you are ready to trade off everything else then go for L1520.

HTC One got everything better than L1520 except Camera.

It's really simple.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, why don't you try and see if you can find one on Craigslist. Might save you less...if you're going to do the Att next(which is good), you'll have to pay the installment plan and what not for however long you do yours(I do mine on12...my mother does her on 24 which is silly but ehh whatever for her).

The reason I suggest craigslist...The phone is used, true but, you probably can find a cheap Lumia 1520 online at craigslist and pay a little more upfront($250 or so) and still come out paying less than you would for an Att next phone that you aren't even going to be keeping anyway since you trade it back in when your upgrade is over.

Plus your bill would stay the same price as it is now :)

Myself I am thinking of buying an unlocked Lumia 930 as it was the best windows phone of 2014 in my opinion but unfortunately ATT does not carry it.

I love the design of that phone and I want something 'new' to play with :p
I may even 'downgrade' to a Lumia 830 as after the 1520, the Lumia 830 is Att's best phone in my opinion.

The 830 is the only one that matters and if my sources are correct, may be selling quite a bit(for a windows phone) along with the 635.

I'll still have my 1520 because it is a beast and I love this screen but I do want something new just to say I have something new haha.

Also check out the Lumia 830

You may actually like that phone coming from your Lumia 1020....minus the camera of course :p

Japanmanx3

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Appreciating all the comparisons guys. Seems like I'm good either way. Considering that the high end Lumia line is like the Nexus line in terms of software updates I'm thinking I'll go with the 1520. To bad Micah got banned before I could ask for more detail on the AT&T Next stuff.

Overall the M8 seems solid. Its more premium from a hardware standpoint but lacks in Camera and screen size. Its still in though. I'll do my best to wait for CES and the 1/20 event before finally deciding.

Midniteryu

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
my wife upgraded from a older nokia WP and so far she loves the M8 still getting used to no capacitive buttons but shes liking it more everyday.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Appreciating all the comparisons guys. Seems like I'm good either way. Considering that the high end Lumia line is like the Nexus line in terms of software updates I'm thinking I'll go with the 1520. To bad Micah got banned before I could ask for more detail on the AT&T Next stuff.

Overall the M8 seems solid. Its more premium from a hardware standpoint but lacks in Camera and screen size. Its still in though. I'll do my best to wait for CES and the 1/20 event before finally deciding.
The next program is pretty good, it's basically allowing you to buy a new phone (at full price) and pay it off in monthly installments with no interest. 12-18-24 months, no contracts no ETF The 18 month plan you're eligible to walk in to the store in 12 months and get a new phone starting over again by trading in your current phone provided it is in excellent condition, and the 24 month plan you can do the same thing in 18 months. If you switch carriers you're responsible to pay off the balance of the phone. Your bill will reflect the monthly payments and it can go up if you get a more expensive phone, something to keep in mind.

They have some good incentives on data rates for 1st time participants too.

Personally I won't buy any used cellphone from online sources, while you can get some seemingly good deals, you can get some real bad ones as well with no recourse. You take your chances..

Waiting to me makes sense to do, and will give you time to go and see the different phones first hand.

Good luck

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the M8 and my wife has the 1520, the M8 is the best windows phone I have owned, My wife loves the screen size of her 1520 and it does take really nice pictures but I think the M8 does just fine it is not like I am going to frame any of them, but what I really like about the camera on the M8 is it is fast. As far as Battery power goes , the 1520 might have a bigger battery but it will not out last my M8, by the end of the day she is down to 20 to 30 % and I am still over 50 % and I use my phone a lot more than she does. And I am sorry to bring this up , but the speakers really and I mean really make a difference, and the design, just pick up both phones you will know what I mean. I think Lumia phones are great and the 1520 is top of the heap of Lumia phones and if screen size and super camera and the Lumia name are what you are after the 1520 is for you, but if you want a well rounded great phone the M8 is it.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Both phones have positives and negatives, you can't say that one is overall better than the other, it all depends on the user. Sure the 1520 has a better camera, but the M8 has a better CPU and speakers. Not everyone want's a 6" phone either. I think both phones are fantastic.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As far as Battery power goes , the 1520 might have a bigger battery but it will not out last my M8, by the end of the day she is down to 20 to 30 % and I am still over 50 % and I use my phone a lot more than she does.

What, really can this ne true? How many mAh's the M8 battery has?

Does your wife have Denim? Just asking because I dont think the camera on the HTC launches faster than 1520 and Denim. Equally fast I believe, nyt faster no.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok 2600 mAh. If you guys have equal amount of apps running on the background etc, your wife's 1520 has something wrong with it, and you should take it in.

I'm sure the m8 has a good battery, but I doubt it can match the one in 1520. Just look at simple tests done around the web.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok 2600 mAh. If you guys have equal amount of apps running on the background etc, your wife's 1520 has something wrong with it, and you should take it in.

I'm sure the m8 has a good battery, but I doubt it can match the one in 1520. Just look at simple tests done around the web.
Sorry.. but it is true that the smaller battery last longer on the m8, and the reason is because of the 801 chipset...and the improvement it has over the 800.

Each new chipset brings optimizations. Like I said earlier in this thread go and research this and you will find out.

What some here who proclaimed they knew, really didn't, because there is more to each progressive chip in line than just speed increases but better core functions too. This is one.

The newer versions are always more capable than the one that they replaced. Battery management is just 1 thing that is better on it.
The 1520 is pretty good but if it had the 801 chipset in it, it would be better, and with the newer versions coming out (805-810) it's going to be awesome for battery life...if they actually want to make it a true flagship phone and use them.

Some folks who should know better refuse to accept that the m8 is a excellent phone and has better spec's in several regards . They get all wrapped up in who makes the device, and what has happened in the past and how pretty of pictures their line of phones take, and as a result miss the fact that the m8 is more than just a average phone. It is a flagship phone that is highly recommended.

It's a pity they do this because they succeed in what they want to do and that is to keep people who don't know the real difference between them from buying one....and this just hurts the platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans