Hey what about this news

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The apk problem is a bit difficult to overcome. I don't know if it is possible to update the pirated app directly from the Play Store once it is installed on the device.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey they even leak updated version of such apps nd games in such pirated cites.Also there are many videos how to get paid apps free on android.By this way they are stealing developers apps nd games.
From Windows phone

PeaceNik

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
The news that they've posted is true, Android users aren't as likely to pay for applications as the average iOS user light be.

However 5% of Android users of the app paying isn't a small amount considering how many people use Android as a whole.

There was a website that posted statistics of how much an app developer made on average from apps on iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

iOS made the most, followed by Android, with Windows Phone trailing in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This statistic didn't take into account a user installing the app on several devices. For example, I have about 6 Android devices in my household that are in use. If I buy an app and install it on all of them, that puts my personal piracy rate at 83%, even though I have not actually pirated at all.

It is true though that Android has a relatively high piracy rate compared to the others. In Settings there is a button that could just as well be labeled "Enable piracy". It's called "Unknown sources". The description is "Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store".

In spite of this, developers are all over Android. There must be a reason.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

If a platform has 20x the users, and 5x the rate of piracy, all else being equal it's still better to develop for the more popular platform.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This statistic didn't take into account a user installing the app on several devices. For example, I have about 6 Android devices in my household that are in use. If I buy an app and install it on all of them, that puts my personal piracy rate at 83%, even though I have not actually pirated at all.

It is true though that Android has a relatively high piracy rate compared to the others. In Settings there is a button that could just as well be labeled "Enable piracy". It's called "Unknown sources". The description is "Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store".

No, that piracy rate is 0% since its tied to account not phone.

That "Unknown Sources" is not just for piracy as you think.
I installed F-Droid, an OSS thing similar to the Play Store - it was from an "unknown source." The things it has, also "unknown" such as AdAway, etc.
Homebrew applications are "unknown sources" I believe.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No, that piracy rate is 0% since its tied to account not phone.

Yes I know it is, but the way that developer came up with the 95% piracy rate, this would have counted. This rate is calculated from one app, Forgotten Shores. The developer said that it was basically counting free installs vs. paid, which included installs from an account after buying one.

And I know that the "Unknown sources" setting is not just for piracy! I did not mean to give that impression. I am an Android power user. I use the setting for installing apps like Flash, which are not available on the Play Store but can still be downloaded from Adobe's website.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's actually easy. And now that a Microsoft developer account is free, it's also free.

You are limited to the number of apps you can have installed as a developer. I've never tried or wanted to try getting hacked apps on my phone, but as a developer, I have run into the issue where I tried to deploy one of my apps to my phone for testing and had to uninstall another one of my apps first because I hit the limit. I'm wanting to say it is low, like around 5 apps. I've actually started adding a dev mode to most of my apps so that I can run tests in the released version and uninstall the debug version.

I don't think it would even be worth hacking WP apps if an individual could only save maybe $5 or have a constant battle of installing/uninstalling apps. I think WP is probably the most secure OS for developers. Then again, I'm not familiar with jailbreaking an iPhone, so I have no clue about how easy/hard it is to get hacked apps on it.

Last edited:

PeaceNik

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Applications can be pirated on Windows Phone, but since people don't have much incentive to pirate applications, the situation isn't as bad as Android.

Theoretically that should make Windows Phone the most secure platform for an app developer, but security isn't all.

Statistics show that even with piracy, the average developer makes more on Android than one does on Windows Phone.

But iOS tops them both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6