What Apps and Services should Microsoft put on other platforms?

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
This is a bit different than the other conversations here, but I finally decided this was the best place for everything.

As we know, Microsoft has transitioned from being "Windows or go home" to "we sell apps and services, let's support major platforms." (I've noticed a distinct lack of support for Blackberry 10. Good move; smother the number 4 as much as you can). We've seen lots of complaints about these Android and iOS apps getting more support than Windows Phone thus far. Since, from my POV, my office on Windows Phone works just fine, I'm okay waiting. But it got me thinking... there are Microsoft apps and services that AREN'T available on other platforms that might be beneficial to the overall ecosystem. Let's brainstorm in a nontypical direction and see what we can come up with.

IDEAS:
Xbox Video: Xbox Music is available on iPhone and Android, but the video app is not. However, I'd wager that most Xbox users aren't Windows Phone users, and encouraging users to buy more Xbox Videos helps tie them in to the Xbox ecosystem more, besides just providing more free cash flow.

Halo: Spartan Assault: This game is now more than a year old. Putting a Halo game (even an out of date one) on Android and iOS provides more gaming money and is a form of free advertising for Halo 5. At this point, most people on a Windows 8 or Phone device who are going to buy it have bought it. Plus, it's a good introduction to Universal Apps on Windows devices (Oh, you had to buy Spartan Assault twice? Yeah, I got it on my Surface and it's free for Xbox One. Sorry.)

Xbox Music Deals: Because it encourages people to think, "Oh yeah, Xbox! Those guys that always have the awesome deals!" Only downside would be cutting Apple and Google in on their share of things.

Windows Help and Tips: If users claim that Windows 8.1 is confusing, then having materials to help them out on their chosen mobile platform is a good idea.

So what Microsoft services do you think would be beneficial to let loose?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Boy, you are about to get blasted. 99% of our users believe nearly everything but Office and XBOX gaming should be WP exclusives to build user base...

I like all your suggestions. I especially love the 8.1 Help tips app. Excellent way to get "clicks" on Windows, and maybe get users a little more comortable with the new Windows. That could only help MS sales and products (like WP).

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
99% of our users believe nearly everything but Office and XBOX gaming should be WP exclusives to build user base...

And the other 1% have brains, intelligence, common sense and understand the MS is a business competing against other businesses. They are also old enough to legally drive. :winktongue:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting.

I'm a WP8.1 and Windows 8.1 user, but the only one of your suggestions I use is Music Deals. Yes, I have an Xbox Music subscription too.

I don't buy videos anywhere, since I stream movies from Netflix. Even back in the day of VHS/DVD, I never bought movies, only rented them. Then again, I don't have kids, and I'm sure I would've bought kids' movies if I had kids (kids tend to want to watch the same movies over and over again when they're little).

I haven't even looked at Halo Spartan Assault, since my gaming preference is Steam.

I do agree with you that it makes sense to try to promote the Xbox-related stuff to people who use other platforms. It worked for Apple with iTunes. I doubt if iTunes would've become as successful as it did if it was only available for Mac users.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am a tit for tat kinda guy, I think that if google and its users want any MS software on their devices, Google should return with maps, youtube etc on windows devices. That would be the right way to do business. However, the mobile market is not like that so what ever makes you different and better than the other KEEP for your devices only.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
None lol.... Keep the best for ourselves lol.
Until devs start providing more apps for our platform then we will share.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Boy, you are about to get blasted. 99% of our users believe nearly everything but Office and XBOX gaming should be WP exclusives to build user base...

If the latest Kantar numbers are to be believed, soon there wont be any WP users left to care anyway.....

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

I like all your suggestions. I especially love the 8.1 Help tips app. Excellent way to get "clicks" on Windows, and maybe get users a little more comortable with the new Windows. That could only help MS sales and products (like WP).

Yeah, I figured. It just seemed like an interesting, counterintuitive discussion area.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I say all apps. Microsoft is a software company, it's part of their NAME! That's their bread and butter just like data mining, excuse me, advertising is Google's. Why is this concept so difficult to understand for some people?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon