Samsung Galaxy s6 vs. L930

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
​I was reading about the brand new S6 and as I am a photography enthusiast I jump right into the camera specs and they show to images comparing the S6 and the Iphone 6 and how better the S6 is in low light conditions ....From what I have seen my 930 with LC 5 is better than the iphone 6 in photography...I would be laughing if it beats the S6.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I haven't seen the pictures yet or stream and according to android central it has a f stop of 1.9 with 16 Mp.

I wonder what sort of sensor they are using and without knowing the exact specs it would be hard to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Never the less, the 930 has a f stop of 2.4 with 20 Mp (with 6 lens optics, 26 mm focal length, 1/25 BSI sensor, OIS), so it would be an interesting comparison.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
That f1.9 will be handy in low light but yeah will be some cool fight (I am confident with my 930...but ;) ).
People often says that the 930 is not a proper flagship because of the lack of SD card (and glace)...oh well the S6 dont have a SD card to...lets see is that **** of android users.

Ashitaka

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I actually believe the L735 beats 930 camera wise. As the 735 has a bigger sensor if you look at the spec and comparing it to 930 hands on , the quality is definitely better.
Even the F-stop is faster. IMO

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Interested also - having a 1520, I'd be interested to see what the s6 can do. I have an s5 and, when the lighting is good, it's excellent. It is slow though. Not 1520, and certainly not 1020 slow, bit slow nonetheless. Bring it on, more consumer choice is a good thing.

Re the s6 and 930 not having sd card - well that is a shame but the Sammy has one up here: Usb hosting! 200gb sdxc and dongle and you're good to go. WP hasn't caught on yet lol

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I actually believe the L735 beats 930 camera wise. As the 735 has a bigger sensor if you look at the spec and comparing it to 930 hands on , the quality is definitely better.
Even the F-stop is faster. IMO

Actually that's not true... the 735 has a 1/3.4" sensor and the 930 has a 1/2.5" sensor, in photography 1/3.4" is smaller than 1/2.5" and the f1.9 only gives you more light in low light condition in comparison to the f2.4 but then again f2.4 is better than f1.9 because is a smaller aperture and that gives you more depth of field and quality.

Having a mid range phone performing better than a high end would be a shame for MS don't you think.

Last edited:

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Interested also - having a 1520, I'd be interested to see what the s6 can do. I have an s5 and, when the lighting is good, it's excellent. It is slow though. Not 1520, and certainly not 1020 slow, bit slow nonetheless. Bring it on, more consumer choice is a good thing.

Re the s6 and 930 not having sd card - well that is a shame but the Sammy has one up here: Usb hosting! 200gb sdxc and dongle and you're good to go. WP hasn't caught on yet lol

Samsung said that statistics show that most phones that have SD card never get that space used so that's why they decided not to have one on S6. Maybe I'm wrong but i think I read somewhere that W10 will have Usb hosting and you always have one drive so... plenty of space.
Yeah I wanna see the S6 against my almost a year old(hardware) 930.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Samsung said that statistics show that most phones that have SD card never get that space used so that's why they decided not to have one on S6.

I believe the SD card is what Samsung was paying royalties on to Microsoft; something to do with FAT. I imagine that this also factored into the decision to drop it.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
They're both likely better than the HTC M9. Sadly the change to 16MP there doesn't appear to have helped at all.

S6 looks a nice unit but Nokia algorithms and optics are excellent and help even the cheaper camera take good shots.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Samsung said that statistics show that most phones that have SD card never get that space used so that's why they decided not to have one on S6. Maybe I'm wrong but i think I read somewhere that W10 will have Usb hosting and you always have one drive so... plenty of space.
Yeah I wanna see the S6 against my almost a year old(hardware) 930.

Hmmm... That may well be very true - I've always used the sdcard. Cloud, for me, indeed us, is a no no - indeed, depending on deployment we're using bb10 devices fully encrypted. Currently, the wp devices are not on an Enterprise exchange server, so no bitlocker. Though the sd card is an excellent boon. W10 with usbotg will be a welcome feature ) with encryption better still!

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I believe the SD card is what Samsung was paying royalties on to Microsoft; something to do with FAT. I imagine that this also factored into the decision to drop it.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

I did think licensing would have something to do with it... Though BlackBerry can afford it so..? That's one Apple feature I don't like lol.

The lollipop raw files will be large and I don't relish even contemplating using cloud storage - especially when working with confidential docs and images... Hmmm

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If only looking at camera, L930 probably win with LUMIA Camera 5.
But overall as a smartphone, GS6 is the best hands down. If Samsung puts Windows on the GS6 I'd buy it immediately

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
If only looking at camera, L930 probably win with LUMIA Camera 5.
But overall as a smartphone, GS6 is the best hands down. If Samsung puts Windows on the GS6 I'd buy it immediately

That's the point..my 930 don't need 3g of raw to be impressive and if a year device can be at the level of an 2015 flagship device it's awesome.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^I disagree. The 3GB of RAM on the GS3 is probably put to good use so you'll probably never see "loading..." or "resuming..." but since WP RAM management is overzealous and we only have 2GB, we have those annoying waits. Also, Snapdragon 800 can't possibly compete with that 14nm Exynos.
I know we're all WP fans here but realistically, the GS6 will be the best smartphone when it is released and it'll stay that way until the next Microsoft and Apple flagships. Then Samsung will have Note 5, so on and so forth

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
^I disagree. The 3GB of RAM on the GS3 is probably put to good use so you'll probably never see "loading..." or "resuming..." but since WP RAM management is overzealous and we only have 2GB, we have those annoying waits. Also, Snapdragon 800 can't possibly compete with that 14nm Exynos.
I know we're all WP fans here but realistically, the GS6 will be the best smartphone when it is released and it'll stay that way until the next Microsoft and Apple flagships. Then Samsung will have Note 5, so on and so forth

Is the annoying "Resuming" caused by lack of RAM? I have a fully updated 2 month old 1520, which is now running Denim...

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... That may well be very true - I've always used the sdcard. Cloud, for me, indeed us, is a no no - indeed, depending on deployment we're using bb10 devices fully encrypted. Currently, the wp devices are not on an Enterprise exchange server, so no bitlocker. Though the sd card is an excellent boon. W10 with usbotg will be a welcome feature ) with encryption better still!

The issue with cards is that 4K editing and recording is hit or miss. Unless you invest into a very high end UHS2 or 3 card with very quick write speeds you can't record to card. The issue with the 1520 which most people forget is that it does not have UHS1-3 native support. What happens is that the card is backwards compatible and downgrades to the slower pin setting that most phones including the 1520 have. This means that expensive card is not really writing at max speeds and is bottle necked by the legacy pin set in the device. Kind of like plugging a high speed USB 3 stick into a USB 2 port.

Last edited:

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you that the Snapdragon 800 can't possibly compete with that 14nm Exynos but what I meant is tha the one year old hardware on the 930 with the OS still gives a top experience. On a Benchmark test the S6 probably kills the 930 but on that daily use the difference between the two is not a lot significant. The LG G3 also have 3g of ram and yet people complains about lag.
Most of 'resuming' screen on WP is due to the lack of app optimisation and the lack of implementation of 'Fast App Resume'

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm very curious to see a review of camera. And by that I mean a real review with crops looking at detail and how much noise reduction Samsung is employing this time around. The s5 looked great at first glance but any closer inspection showed a camera that employed way too much sharpening and noise reduction. The Note 4 was much better and I'm very curious how the S6 fares. Getting tempted the more I look at it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss