06-12-2015 01:04 PM
167 1234 ...
tools
    Im pretty sure if it was only marketing and timing, people would've stopped using it and buying by now. If you're really being honest you'd notice there are alternatives in the market.

I'm more to the conclusion that the iPhone is actually a good product, and people aren't just sheep because people on the internet say so. Maybe, just maybe, people actually like the iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Off course a Iphone is a good phone and people like it.
    These things are never black or white.
    But that does not make it the "best" deal for your money. (Or maybe better it is not the best deal for everybody's money)

And per definition fanboys and girls are partly blind. Actual you have to be partly blind to be to be a fan. 😃
    05-26-2015 11:23 AM
    Hold this thought: ... People who bought 830s probably have held/used an iPhone. People who bought iPhones probably have not held a 830. I know its a hyperbolic generalisation but unfortunately true ...
    Arun3 likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:34 AM
    Off course a Iphone is a good phone and people like it.
    These things are never black or white.
    But that does not make it the "best" deal for your money. (Or maybe better it is not the best deal for everybody's money)

And per definition fanboys and girls are partly blind. Actual you have to be partly blind to be to be a fan.
    I never mentioned best. I was simply pointing out your use of the word "sheep" and you stating "the only reason" because of "marketing and timing" as if those are the only reasons.

Harrie-S likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:38 AM
    I never mentioned best. I was simply pointing out your use of the word "sheep" and you stating "the only reason" because of "marketing and timing" as if those are the only reasons.

Actual I did not use the word sheep or stated that marketing and timing was the only reason. (that was another one).

And I used " " for best.

And as I stated a fan is a fan and supports his "club"
    05-26-2015 11:50 AM
    Actual I did not use the word sheep or stated that marketing and timing was the only reason. (that was another one).

And I used " " for best.

And as I stated a fan is a fan and supports his "club"
    You're right. That's my bad.

Also, I'm no fan of anything. I just purchase whatever fits my needs. So there's that b

Harrie-S likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:51 AM
    Im pretty sure if it was only marketing and timing, people would've stopped using it and buying by now. If you're really being honest you'd notice there are alternatives in the market.

I'm more to the conclusion that the iPhone is actually a good product, and people aren't just sheep because people on the internet say so. Maybe, just maybe, people actually like the iPhone?
    You got it. And to carry that through, timing is probably only part of the reason WP has not caught on. I know this is heresy here, but the OS and its ecosystem are still not up to the task of rivaling iOS and Android, at least not until W10 is released. Even that is assuming that W10 is going to be everything it is advertised to be. A good looking and different UI is not as important as the ecosystem, to put it simply.
    05-26-2015 11:59 AM

Of course there's alternatives and of course people like the iPhone! The marketing is what got people hooked on the iPhone and from there they only bought iPhones.
    Take a look at the battle between last years Android flagships, the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8. The One M8 was commonly tagged as the far superior phone (excluding camera) by critics, but commercially the S5 was the better phone. Why? Because of marketing.
    Just because the iPhone is one of the best selling phones out there doesn't make it the best. There are alternatives, and some of those alternatives are better. That's one reason why Android has 80% of the market. A large part of it is budget devices, and the other part is because people found they liked Android more than iOS, and the same goes with Windows. My family is a Samsung family (excluding my father who owns an iPhone 6, iPad 2 and Windows laptop), yet my mother agrees that Windows is a great OS and when she had a Lumia 520 she enjoyed it a lot. The only person in this family who's strictly against Windows is my grandmother, who's all Android (she replaced her iPhone 6--which she hated--with a Moto X).
    Even my grandfather, who hates Windows 8.1, is really excited about Windows 10.
    My point is, just because iPhones are the best sellers doesn't make them the best option. They have the marketing and the fan base so they're nearly unstoppable. But if people actually used Windows Phones I guarantee a large portion would prefer it over iOS. Even if they used "cheaper" hardware like the Lumia 830. I went from iOS to Windows and I'd never go back.
    05-26-2015 12:10 PM

No offense, but I believe you're giving people too much credit.
    Harrie-S, libra89 and gmlongo like this.
    05-26-2015 01:29 PM
    I have both. I am a WP fan, so I choose the 830 when ever I can. The iPhone is nice, but just not for me. I think it really comes down to preference of OS and App needs. That being said. I have never used the iPhone because my 830 was missing a feature.
    Harrie-S and 920Walker like this.
    05-26-2015 02:28 PM
    My friend has an iphone 6. Here's the unbiased scoop which we both agreed upon.

The camera of the 830 is better.
    The larger screen on the 830 and the ips clearback makes the screen look much nicer.
    The UI is a matter of preference. You try it out at Microsoft store and Apple store.
    The apps are much better on the iphone. This is obviously a huge thing. You can find a lot of apps on the lumia but it may not even be an original. Though things are starting to pick up since the Windows 10 build stuff. Especially in the area of gaming.
    Power wise, the Iphone 6 definitely wins. Example is we both play minion Rush. On the Lumia 830 I get skipping. I have to turn off the wifi and it helps but it will still stutter once in a blue moon.
    The Lumia 830 looks pretty good with the black plate which comes with every colour. I do however think that the iphone 6 is a better looking phone if you don't add any cases or other stuff to it. I don't have a case on my lumia so it looks nice. It's only fallen a couple of times but survived with no scratches.

My opinion is if you can get the 6+ go with that. 640XL is pretty ugly. But that's just my opinion.
    The iphone's are always pricier but they do have a certain fashion statement behind them.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    05-26-2015 03:01 PM
    But the reason why this discussion is relevant is because apple has once again made a device marketed to comptete in the high end spectrum, but has midrange internals making it comparable to the 830
    Midrange is now having the second best GPU of 2014, losing only to the one found in the K1? Or how about having the highest single core score of 2014? The A8 beats out the 801, which is the chip in the 930/Icon/1520. The biggest problem I'm finding is the 1GB of RAM. It's okay for the competition to have better hardware sometimes. Microsoft will likely have a winner whenever they decide to actually make a flagship.
    Harrie-S and Jaredallister like this.
    05-26-2015 03:06 PM
    05-26-2015 03:46 PM
    Specs and benchmarks don't make the entire product. Apple doesn't go cutting edge but they sure are polished.

If you are hooked on Airplay, facetime, iChat and iPrint there isn't a single thing on the market that comes close, except for previous generation iPhones. All that stuff just works.

However, in Windows 10 for Phones I did see an option to print from Office and it did see my printer -- interesting.
    London Jr likes this.
    05-26-2015 04:15 PM
    This is silly. Apples/Oranges comparisons are flame bait at best. The iPhone is a flagship device in a monstrously successful ecosystem while the Lumia 830 is a mid-range device in an ecosystem still trying to become relevant. WP is a great mobile OS, but comparing it to iOS is insane. We all know what sells phones: APPS. There is little room for further discussion IMHO when you compare the two platforms on this basis.
    badcat, taymur, London Jr and 3 others like this.
    05-26-2015 04:45 PM
    Specs and benchmarks don't make the entire product. Apple doesn't go cutting edge but they sure are polished.

If you are hooked on Airplay, facetime, iChat and iPrint there isn't a single thing on the market that comes close, except for previous generation iPhones. All that stuff just works.

However, in Windows 10 for Phones I did see an option to print from Office and it did see my printer -- interesting.
    Miracast works fine. I agree that Skype is still quite buggy and needs making robust - Facetime just works whereas Skype mostly works. And as you said, mobile printing to some printers is almost here. Give Windows another year and I think things will look more comparable.
    05-26-2015 04:49 PM
    This is silly. Apples/Oranges comparisons are flame bait at best. The iPhone is a flagship device in a monstrously successful ecosystem while the Lumia 830 is a mid-range device in an ecosystem still trying to become relevant. WP is a great mobile OS, but comparing it to iOS is insane. We all know what sells phones: APPS. There is little room for further discussion IMHO when you compare the two platforms on this basis.
    So with your same logic you can not compare IOS with android?
    Or a MAC with a windows PC?
    And the people who have both and like the 830 more (for there needs) are silly?
    hidayat225 likes this.
    05-26-2015 04:55 PM
    Um. The 830 was way overpriced at launch, $449. Even $275 on eBay seems a bit much. In fact, the 830 was an unmitigated disaster. It has NEVER shown up on any WP market share pie chart. And worst of all, the "affordable flagship" made things worse. Here's hoping that the 840 has a much better pricing structure to it assuming its released here in the U.S. It's taking forever for AT&T to get the 640 and, or XL. If the 640 can sell for $99 at Walmart or $129 via Cricket, then the 640 XL has to go for about $149 at AT&T. This means that the 840 should go for about $249 once it hits the shelves late summer, maybe, at AT&T. Anything in the mid-range or below has to be extremely well priced. MS has to give up profit at those segments and make it up with any flagships they release.
    05-26-2015 05:30 PM
    Miracast works fine. I agree that Skype is still quite buggy and needs making robust - Facetime just works whereas Skype mostly works. And as you said, mobile printing to some printers is almost here. Give Windows another year and I think things will look more comparable.
    That's been the war cry of Windows Phone since 7 was released. ;)
    05-26-2015 05:35 PM
    My problems with Miracast are that it doesn't provide anywhere near the level of airplay or chromecast's functionality. For instance, I have to put my Miracast receiver in pairing mode. Then go to my device and attempt to establish connection. If I want to stream audio from my phone I can't lock the screen. As that closes out the connection and it needs to go back to the pairing process again. It's worse than Bluetooth.

I haven't seen a windows phone be able to share media streams anywhere near as easily as you can with ios or android systems.

I'm not sure if the Xbox has anything that would compare. But the Xbox has the overhead of requiring the accounts to be logged on first the last time I checked. Whatever it is just feels like 10 additional steps. By which time friends and family have lost interest. Or the iPhone user just says let me do it.
    05-26-2015 06:10 PM

I'm not going to knock the iPhone. I've never touched one and don't plan to. But, I know a lot of iPhone owners that don't even know other options exist. They buy what everyone of their friends buy because their other friends bought one.

I get that some people might actually have compared phones and chose the iPhone, and that's cool. Use what you want.

The iPhone 6 has an obligation to be superior at a cost of $250.00 above the 830 with only 16 GB of storage. The phone cost $850.00 with 128 GB. I don't think you can separate price/value from the question of which is "better".

The prices come straight from Apples website.
    Last edited by badcat; 05-26-2015 at 08:52 PM.
    05-26-2015 06:49 PM
    Not on a "which is better" basis. Anyway it's a totally subjective question so any absolute comparisons are moot.
    FinancialP likes this.
    05-26-2015 06:56 PM
    So with your same logic you can not compare IOS with android?
    Or a MAC with a windows PC?
    And the people who have both and like the 830 more (for there needs) are silly?
    ​Not on a "which is better" basis. Anyway it's a totally subjective question so any absolute comparisons are moot. Nobody is silly for personal tastes and for different needs. But best for me may not be best for you.
    05-26-2015 06:57 PM
    I use an 830 as a daily driver and I love it. However, an iPhone 4 still sits in a speaker dock on my desk for music and Google Hangouts voice calling. I used Android phones in between but was displeased with the overall long-term quality of Samsung and Motorola phones and Lollipop was abysmal. The other half uses an iPhone 6. He's had four iPhones over the years and says he just doesn't want to learn another OS - he only uses Mac/iOS devices. I'm a device junkie and I play in every sandbox everyday and love my iPad mini, but I couldn't imagine the complete lack of control of an iPhone again. I've grown too accustomed to useful notifications, live tiles, and digital assistants that work properly.
    05-26-2015 08:04 PM
    With price aside, I will vote for iPhone 6. Why? Simple. Because the platform has more app choices and support. Market share of the iPhone already proved that it doesn't need to have glance screen, sd card or modern OS. But missing good and polished apps on Windows Phone is a killer for the platform. I know a lot here will disagree with me, but well, that's the hard cold fact.
    05-26-2015 09:30 PM
    Um. The 830 was way overpriced at launch, $449. Even $275 on eBay seems a bit much. In fact, the 830 was an unmitigated disaster. It has NEVER shown up on any WP market share pie chart. And worst of all, the "affordable flagship" made things worse. Here's hoping that the 840 has a much better pricing structure to it assuming its released here in the U.S. It's taking forever for AT&T to get the 640 and, or XL. If the 640 can sell for $99 at Walmart or $129 via Cricket, then the 640 XL has to go for about $149 at AT&T. This means that the 840 should go for about $249 once it hits the shelves late summer, maybe, at AT&T. Anything in the mid-range or below has to be extremely well priced. MS has to give up profit at those segments and make it up with any flagships they release.
    The iPhone 6 has an obligation to be superior at a cost of $250.00 above the 830 with only 16 GB of storage. The phone cost $850.00 with 128 GB. I don't think you can separate price/value from the question of which is "better".
    Ask any manufacturer/retailer how to determine the value of a product. The value is not what it costs to produce with a little profit added on. The value is what customers are willing to pay. The iPhone sells like gangbusters at $800, while WPs struggle to sell at any price point. That, my friends, is what determines the value.

Now, whether or not it is worth it to you is another matter, but it's hard to argue value.
    05-26-2015 10:26 PM
167 1234 ...