Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Price/value aside which one do you think is superior? Especially camera

Just curious

Ps: Lumia 640xl vs iPhone 6+ ?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 830... better, much more customizable aesthetics, SD card support, better camera (including OIS), wireless charging, bigger display, Glance Screen, much more modern OS. Not even close, in my humble opinion. Then again, this a Lumia forum. Although, I'd bet good money that Lumia owners are generally a lot more informed about what they're buying than your typical iPhoner.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Your asking this question on a biased forum, so of course they are going to say the Lumia over the iPhone! Very unfair in my book. I would argue that the iPhone is indeed superior over the Lumia.

Better software and third party support, much better design (IMO), an amazing camera, an with better support from Microsoft, I say the iPhone is the better choice. Not to mention the best of Apple's, Google's, Microsoft's, and even Blackberry's ecosystem under its plate, the iPhone is one great choice!

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Considering OS updates
Apps/games quality
Screen quality
Audio quality
Powerful processor and GPU
Speed
MS support

I'll choose iPhone over L830.

L830 camera might be better but there won't be much difference.
iPhone camera aren't bad.

Other than Camera and iPhone beat sh*t out of L830 in every possible department.

That includes price too.

SergyOrtiz

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 830:

Better camera, with OIS!
Better audio recording while shooting videos (Stereo 5.1 channels from the Lumia 830 vs Mono from the iPhone 6 LOL)
Better storage with 16 GB + 128 GB from micro SD
Both have great screen, although Lumia 830 has Glance.
Removable battery from the 830.
Price tag!!

You can watch YouTube comparisons, Lumia 830 FTW.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've used both. The Lumia 830 feels nicer in hand, more warm. It also catches the eye more, has a superior camera, a great screen, microSD card support, and good performance. It's also cheaper.
However, the iPhone is a nice looking phone, with great performance, a good camera (but not as good as the 830), and better support. It depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for something different and unique? The Lumia 830. Or something guaranteed good support? iPhone.
I, honestly, prefer the 830 for three reasons:
Camera
Design
Windows
And I can't stand the iPhone because of:
iOS
iTunes
Price

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I had an 830 for a few days and would've kept it had it not been for the stupid issue with the search button not working with a screen protector applied. In retrospect and as a current iPhone 6 user, I wish I had kept the 830 or put up with my old 920 until the 640xl is available. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone. It works great, but it makes me sick to think how much I paid for it. For $850, I could've bought a decent laptop and gotten 5 years use out of it. This thing is getting replaced in 2 years. I should be getting as replaceable battery, storage expansion, dust/water resistance and a hell of a lot more durability for this kind of money. On the plus side, It's got a good camera (except low light performance), much better gps and app support is there. The 830's camera with the exception of shutter speed, probably beat the iPhone's camera, its gps was acceptable, I had a removable battery/SD card support. Never used a lot of apps anyway other than basics. WP10 judging by the preview, is going to be great.

So, my wall of text basically says, the 830 is a better deal.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I had an 830 for a few days and would've kept it had it not been for the stupid issue with the search button not working with a screen protector applied. In retrospect and as a current iPhone 6 user, I wish I had kept the 830 or put up with my old 920 until the 640xl is available. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone. It works great, but it makes me sick to think how much I paid for it. For $850, I could've bought a decent laptop and gotten 5 years use out of it. This thing is getting replaced in 2 years. I should be getting as replaceable battery, storage expansion, dust/water resistance and a hell of a lot more durability for this kind of money. On the plus side, It's got a good camera (except low light performance), much better gps and app support is there. The 830's camera with the exception of shutter speed, probably beat the iPhone's camera, its gps was acceptable, I had a removable battery/SD card support. Never used a lot of apps anyway other than basics. WP10 judging by the preview, is going to be great.

So, my wall of text basically says, the 830 is a better deal.
I had the exact same issue with the screen protector on my 830. I actually detail it in my review (just titled FULL Review Nokia Lumia 830).

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
There was definitely something defective about the 830's search button. Would've exchanged it, but given how widespread the issue was, I was more than likely just going to end up with the same problem with a different 830. I remember reading quite a few posts about it.. Just another Nokia QC blunder. Makes me glad MS has control now. I hope ridiculous things like this don't repeat going forward.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
There was definitely something defective about the 830's search button. Would've exchanged it, but given how widespread the issue was, I was more than likely just going to end up with the same problem with a different 830. I remember reading quite a few posts about it.. Just another Nokia QC blunder. Makes me glad MS has control now. I hope ridiculous things like this don't repeat going forward.
The Search button was the worse of the three, but I'm pretty sure it's the very nature of the screen. You see, the Lumia 830's screen slopes gently into the frame surrounding it. It starts quite early on so it's very discreet. It looks and feels wonderful, but it has the unintended consequence of making using screen protectors ridiculous. Especially tempered glass screen protectors. They can't sit flat, and they cover a pathetically small amount of the screen. Because they're always peeling off, there's a gap of air between the glass and the Search button (and the Back button, but that wasn't QUITE as bad. It still didn't work very well, and the Home failed every now and then), which causes it to not register your taps.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Definitely... every Nokia flagship at least since the 920 ( I've only been team windows since the 900 release and didn't even have that), has seemed to have some major bugs/defects... very common too.. so when iPhone bendgate happened, I don't see why so many Lumina users felt so proud and tall... not only did that happen to very few people, but those people I believe got replacements under warranty.. while ghost taps, heat issues, major battery drain, etc. are all affecting what appears to be many many people on their respective Lumina flagship phones, and the worst of it all is the fact that a lot of these devices have passed or are rapidly approaching the end of their warranty periods... the 830 is safer however because it is under a year old, which will guarantee current support/replacements and its not missing major features like the 930, other than hey Cortland and 4k capture, which IMO make it the best all around windows phone right now

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I cant believe that we reached a point that we are saying that the 830 is better than the iPhone 6!? seriously guys.

someone highlighted that the "audio" is better on the 830 when recording video, while i will give the 830 that part, but you have to be fair, the iPhone can shoot 240 frames per second, so one point 830, one point iPhone 6.

the camera on the iPhone in my opinion is way better, regardless of the OIS. the shutter speed on the iPhone 6 is faster than the 830 therefore final result is not that different. i have seen shots of the iPhone, always looks better.

So cut the fanboysim guys, and lets be realistic.​ The iPhone 6 is overall way better than the 830.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I cant believe that we reached a point that we are saying that the 830 is better than the iPhone 6!? seriously guys.

So cut the fanboysim guys, and lets be realistic.​ The iPhone 6 is overall way better than the 830.

But is it 3 times better then the 830 because that's the difference in price.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
But is it 3 times better then the 830 because that's the difference in price.

Yes it is. otherwise people wouldn't be buying it.

People who are willing to buy the IPhone bearing its cost in mind are not comparing it with the 830.​​ i would at least expect them to compare it to the 930.

It is like saying is the Mercedes S class 3 times better than a BMW 5 series. well...those two products are not even competitors.​

We have to compare the S class with a 7 series, that's when we start to make sense.​

OP even wants feedback comparing the 640 XL with the IPhone 6....... :S​

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven