Nokia Lumia 830 vs Apple iPhone 6

pbdavis73

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I am using a screen protector on my Lumia 830. Never faced any problems is using the search button!!!! May be it depends on how good you have applied your screen protector.

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
For me NO phone has ever cut the mustard. but it is quite simple an iPhone at ?540 vs a Lumia 830 at ?250 is a no brainer. Because for less money I get more!!! Wireless charging, FM Radio, A far better user interface. What does the iPhone give me more apps! that's it. With windows 10 I think the app gap will be closed by Christmas and my definition of closed is when I see an advert for a new app I will expect it to have three icons and not just two

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've heard some angry retorts and arguments about the suspect build quality of the Lumia 830, but in my experience that is definitely not the issue.
In my full review (I'm not tech critic just a pleased user), I gave the phone an 8/10 overall, and the biggest culprit of this score was performance. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 powering the Lumia 830 is plenty for day-to-day movement around the slick Windows Phone OS, but when attempting to play advanced 3D games or jump back and forth between apps, there are stutters. I concluded that the Snapdragon 400 was acceptable, and suited well by the 1GB of RAM, but that the phone would've been far better value with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 series SoC, and 2GB of RAM.
The second reason for an 8/10 score was value. This, really, is an extension of the processor "issue," as you're paying high mid-range prices for low-to-mid-range performance.

Build quality is exceptional on this device. Despite possessing a removable, polycarbonate back, the Lumia 830 feels solid in hand, and has a pleasing weight and handling. The back (when secured PROPERLY) has no creaks or unsettling movements. The only issues I've found with this device were small things:
1) The trio of physical buttons along the right side aren't as firm as on the Lumia 930, and have a slightly cheap feel because they feel loose.
2) The removable back, although secure once attached, is difficult TO reattach properly.
3) The screen slopes into the frame gently, and although it has a lovely aesthetic look and feel, it makes the screen more prominent to scratches and makes the application and usage of tempered glass screen protectors frustrating and difficult.
4) The microUSB port is placed in the top left corner. But being placed on top is not why it's on this lost. No, it's being placed on the left side. When you turn the phone to landscape (the majority of people turn the phone so the capacitive keys are cupped in their right hand--the OS in general and apps seem to prefer this), the microUSB cable digs into your hand, making it uncomfortable for long lengths of time (and it's never comfortable for any length of time).
5) There's a gap between the bottom of the screen and the aluminum fram that is nearly impossible to see, but still manages to acquire such lovely delicacies as dirt or other filthy particles. The gap doesn't affect daily usage at all, but when it gets something trapped within it it's unsightly and requires a piece of paper to remove.

Five tiny niggles in an otherwise beautiful and well built phone.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The 830 is not a pretty phone IMO not when compared to the 930 which I consider a very pleasant design certainly as nice as the iPhone 6 range which has become bland and without the big Apple on the back no longer screams I am an Apple phone. If you compare apps then also the 830 cannot hope to win. The OS for me is horses for courses and I personally very much like the simple windows approach (not sure about windows phone 10 though).

The 830 is excellent value for money but that is not enough on its own but it will be for many. Personally I cannot justify having something that expensive in my pocket all day long and if it were not for contract subsidies nor would most people.

Not sure its a fair comparison though as the iPhone is a flagship phone and the 830 isn't really but I suppose its better then comparing a 640 to the iPhone 6 as the which consumer magazine attempted to do recently in its latest offering.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
yhan.... thats a very broad statement for a very subjective thing. What "people need" is based on THAT person and not what YOU think is useful.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I love Windows Phone, but guys the 830 has absolutely no chance. WP OS right now just isn't up to par with iOS (bugs, software limitations, app discrepancies, app inconsistency, office, etc. etc.) . Sorry, but we'll have to wait for Windows 10.

IEhrgeizI

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Having bought and used an iPhone 6 for a month I can say this.

Hardware wise it looks and feels very nice. Feels too small but then there's the 6+ for that.

OS is very smooth and pretty quick if not appealing. In fact I found it dull as hell.

Camera is average at best. Pretty quick but not great images. High fps videos is a nice thing.

Apps are all their but I hate where all the access points are on them.

Final thought: My gf was an iPhone user for many years until I got her to try a Lumia 925 which she loved but then dropped in the bath. After that she decided to get a Lumia 830 which she finds to be great. The only issue she has had is apps. This pushed her to buying an iPhone 6+ which she has decided after a month also (without any influence from me) that it is just really boring. She has now switched back to her 830 and is selling her 6+.

I'll let you make of that what you will :)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I love Windows Phone, but guys the 830 has absolutely no chance. WP OS right now just isn't up to par with iOS (bugs, software limitations, app discrepancies, app inconsistency, office, etc. etc.) . Sorry, but we'll have to wait for Windows 10.
hate to tell you, but win10 won't fix any of those issues.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I've been using a 64Gb iPhone 6 Plus for a few months now, and even though I still love my 925 and Windows Phone, I'm staying with the iPhone until Microsoft comes out with a nice flagship.

To me, there is really no comparing the 830 to the iPhone. People have brought up stuff that the iPhone doesn't have, like wireless charging and Glance, but those thing don't really matter to me.

The 830 in my opinion has a poor quality display, the blacks don't look good, and the viewing angles are atrocious. The 1080p display on my iPhone is gorgeous, and almost perfectly calibrated. It has some of the best viewing angles I've ever seen on non amoled display.

Another thing, the SD400 chipset in the 830 is way too weak for me. That's a cpu made for budget phones, and I wouldn't want to pay money for that. If you go to Anandtech and look at benchmarks for the 64-bit A8 cpu in the iPhone, it smokes just about everything out there. Hardcore games play effortlessly on this device.

And speaking of games, I've spent my entire day off playing Geometry Wars, Bioshock, ShadowGun Deadzone, Real Racing 3, and Xcom Enemy Within. And let's be honest, Windows Phone doesn't have any of those games.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Eyeryone has the right on his or her opinion but why is it needed to call people with another opinion crazy nerds?

Bye the way statements like " IPhone is the best phone in world " make you also sound as a nerd but then from another team.

i'm not on any team. they're soulless corporations out to take as much as much of my money as possible. the very concepts of "teams" is insane.

it's not an opinion. it's simply a fact. the iphone is literally better on EVERY SINGLE metric vs the 830.
better screen
better camera
better ecosystem
better battery
better support
better resale value
you might LIKE the Operating system, but that's the only subjective part. the difference isn't NEARLY enough to suggest the 830 is the better device. The sales speak for themselves. they literally sell more iphones in a day then they'll sell 830's in a quarter. The 830 wasn't even a decent WP device. Expensive, slow, and poorly designed. it's literally one of the worst devices nokia/microsoft made, excepting perhaps the 630 and old garbage wp7 low end trash (like lumia 620) that destroyed consumer faith in the OS since it performed like garbage.

THE BETA TEST IS OVER! BUY A LUMIA 900!! wait, what? THAT PHONE IS EOL PRESALE?! Iphone is better, always has been.

it's not about "opinions", and i don't have a "team". it's about facts. I have owned almost 10 windows phones, and never an iphone. I currently use an unlocked 929 after selling my 1520. windows 10 looks like trash. Android trash bad. Might look at getting an iphone as the windows ecosystem simply won't improve (support, not building apps is the issue, and no fix for that) and the hardware is years behind.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes it will, read what they said again
read what who said? you honestly suggesting that windows phone 10 will catch up on ANY METRIC to android or iOS? they launched android M today, and again, annually, google puts out a massive operating system overhaul that adds hundreds of features and will have huge support from basically ALL OEM's. Microsoft puts out a buggy update every 2 years that lacks many of the features of the competition and has no app support.

there is literally nothing that windows 10 will fix vs 8.1, unless you really like hamburgers.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the iPhone may well be the best phone in the world. Certainly no Windows Phone can lay claim to even being a "good" phone since the OS is so horrible, the app situation so dire, and the threat of discontinuation in the near future does, indeed, seem high.

But ignoring for a moment the 50/50 tossup I'd give it that Windows Phones still exist in 2017, to say the iPhone is the "best phone in the world on almost every metric" is equally crazy:
  • It has very little RAM (only 1 GB compared to 3 or more in it's high-end competitors).
  • It has a low resolution screen.
  • It has poor battery life and no removable battery.
  • It lacks SD expansion.
  • It lacks working NFC.
  • It has a solid but unexceptional camera.
  • It has very questionable build quality (and downright lousy "hand feel").

In fact, other than perhaps app quality, the iPhone is not the best phone on any metric. But the total can be greater than the sum of the parts.

and yet it's far and away the number one selling phone on the planet. Comparing android's ram usage to iOS is useless. iOS is far better at managing it. NFC is basically useless (i've owned 4 WP with nfc, and own 3 devices (speakers, headphones) that use NFC and it's hardly exciting or even really valuable. Iphone has easily the fastest SOC. No SD sucks and battery life isn't spectacular. I'd still say it's a better phone than any others. What phone could actually be better? the galaxy 6? the 930? Seriously, app situation aside, the others aren't nearly as well rounded as the iphone. It's the best phone out currently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05