Nokia Lumia 830 vs Apple iPhone 6

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
read what who said? you honestly suggesting that windows phone 10 will catch up on ANY METRIC to android or iOS? they launched android M today, and again, annually, google puts out a massive operating system overhaul that adds hundreds of features and will have huge support from basically ALL OEM's. Microsoft puts out a buggy update every 2 years that lacks many of the features of the competition and has no app support.

there is literally nothing that windows 10 will fix vs 8.1, unless you really like hamburgers.
Stop. All you are really complaining about is the app availability, not the os. Try another platform like android or ios and comeback here another time. There is no point in complaining. Firstly updates are made to fix bugs, software limitations, app discrepancies, app inconsistency. Also we are getting a new office suite for windows 10 mobile so yes if you read carefully you would understand that he was right.

Last edited:

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Stop. All you are really complaining about is the app availability, not the os. Try another platform like android or ios and comeback here another time. There is no point in complaining

No. there are many features that android or iOS support that WP doesn't. App availability is a problem too, but that's a separate issue.

as for the fact win 10 hasn't launched yet, they've discussed their new design direction and stated they're not going to change it. I don't believe android/iOS porting is going to have ANY impact on app availability, and given the statements made by numerous companies, it's not going to change.

the OS hasn't launched, but the direction suggests it'll be DOA, just like the previous launches of 7, 8, 8.1

I don't even really use apps. I use the browser for 99% of everything. I have to. i've been with wp since launch.

I like windows phone. I just don't see it as a viable option long term, and microsoft isn't doing anything to change that.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Apple Pay....EASY finger print reader ( love it for unlocking)

Being able to unlock my phone with my thumb on the home button is something I didn't think would mean this much to me. But it works so well, it's almost like magic. When I switch back to my old phone for nostalgia purposes sometimes, it feels truly mundane having to punch in a passcode to unlock it. It makes it feel like an antique.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Microsofts apps are all available and better versions on iOS. Looking at iOS, u still get the. Best of each ecosystem including Google

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Apple Pay....EASY finger print reader ( love it for unlocking)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Apple Pay is a great feature if you know how to use it.
I remember waiting in line to buy something and I see a lady pulling out an iphone 6. She is looking around, all confident and states

"No card. I am using Apple Pay."

Then she starts tapping the nfc device once...twice... then many times.

My sister and I quietly started laughing in the line. She still had the home screen up and kept madly tapping. She finally gave up and took out her credit card.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
How about having an assistant that works in more than 2 countries?
for two: Google Now on Tap: Android M finds contextual information at the push (and hold) of a button
there is tons more, but that's what literally 10 seconds finds.

how about payment options? wallet doesn't work AT ALL. FOR LITERALLY ANYTHING.
nvm many apps don't work as well thanks to API limitations, and API LIMITATIONS are an OS feature problem.
Cortana works in 10 countries after it's first year of release and localised for each of those countries. They could just release Cortana for every country with limited support but the user experience would not be good.

Now on tap is a completely new feature, have to applaud google on that. Maybe try suggesting Microsoft to add it on windows 10 on uservoice or the feedback app.

Payments are going be improved in windows 10. It's going to be like android and IOS where you don't need a secure sim. You just need to register your credit card with an app connected to wallet or wallet itself.

And you are acting like Microsoft aren't trying to lift API limitations with windows 10. Look at the BUILD 2015 Windows 10 mobile presentation of you don't believe me. What I find funny is that some app developers are just lazy or too slow. Windows phone 8.1 gave the developers the file picker API for uploading and downloading files and VoIP is in the OS too yet whatsapp calling and sending songs on whatsapp still isn't possible on Windows Phone. As I said before, complaining here won't achieve anything, if you really want windows phone to be viable in the long term, give feedback to Microsoft.
EDIT: http://wmpoweruser.com/whatsapp-beta-for-windows-phone-finally-gets-the-call-feature/ looks like whatsapp calls are going to be out soon.

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
For example?
Even just laying aside app availability, the list is massive. To get us started, off the top of my head:
Gapless playback in native music app.
Fingerprint locking
Worldwide launches of devices/features
Multitasking
Side-loading/multiple Stores
USB OTG
Wi-Fi Direct
Voice assistants available internationally
Availability of companion wearable tech

The problem with drinking the "Windows 10 will fix all that" Kool Aid is that Microsoft used that line before. On 8.1. And on 8. And on 7. And on 6.5.... you get the picture.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Even just laying aside app availability, the list is massive. To get us started, off the top of my head:
Gapless playback in native music app.
Fingerprint locking
Worldwide launches of devices/features
Multitasking
Side-loading/multiple Stores
USB OTG
Wi-Fi Direct
Voice assistants available internationally
Availability of companion wearable tech

The problem with drinking the "Windows 10 will fix all that" Kool Aid is that Microsoft used that line before. On 8.1. And on 8. And on 7. And on 6.5.... you get the picture.

But windows 10 actually brings most of these features. Voice assistants available internationally, worldwide launches of products and services and availability of wearables aren't magically sorted out after an OS update though. But the other features are definitely coming to windows 10. Microsoft did videos and presentations on these things, they are actually coming.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/3-773
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/2-639
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/2-639

Last edited:

Micke Tallberg

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
For me NO phone has ever cut the mustard. but it is quite simple an iPhone at ?540 vs a Lumia 830 at ?250 is a no brainer. Because for less money I get more!!! Wireless charging, FM Radio, A far better user interface. What does the iPhone give me more apps! that's it. With windows 10 I think the app gap will be closed by Christmas and my definition of closed is when I see an advert for a new app I will expect it to have three icons and not just two

There's no way that the app gap will be closed by Christmas this year. We might see Win 10 for phones in October, but that's doubful, and most developers are likely going to wait to see if the platform will take off before deciding to go for a Windows app.

Add to that that Win 10 for phones really doesn't add that much value. There's really nothing that will make people go "wow", it's still very much Windows Phone, you know the OS that most people have not learned to love during the last 3-4 years. If you like Windows Phone, fine, then you'll probably buy a new Windows phone. If not, well then you'll most likely end up looking at Android or iOS.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
There's no way that the app gap will be closed by Christmas this year. We might see Win 10 for phones in October, but that's doubful, and most developers are likely going to wait to see if the platform will take off before deciding to go for a Windows app.

Add to that that Win 10 for phones really doesn't add that much value. There's really nothing that will make people go "wow", it's still very much Windows Phone, you know the OS that most people have not learned to love during the last 3-4 years. If you like Windows Phone, fine, then you'll probably buy a new Windows phone. If not, well then you'll most likely end up looking at Android or iOS.

Indeed with the W10 introduction the app gap will not magically disappear.
And nobody stated that end of this year the gap would be gone. (I am even not convinced if "every one" will have W10 end of the year.)
And in W10 it will be easier to make apps or at least will not make it more difficult.

The introduction of many low (mid) end phones seams to work because they are bought so that at least is good.

And for the rest we have to see the only thing I can say is that W10 is coming.
And will have some features which android and or IPhone already (long) have and hopefully some wow features.
But I also do not belief that the W10 introduction will "convert" suddenly huge numbers of android and iPhone owners but the goal of Microsoft is (i hope) that there will be steady on more and more converts.

Last edited:

nemov888

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree... Lumia 830 would be my perfect phone if only they had put a faster processor inside! I have the 735 (same processor) and it is soooo slow sometimes. Fine for most things but for camera especially, the delay is too much. iPhone is superior at the moment and I am waiting with my cash to buy the new 940......just hope they release the bloody thing soon! :)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft did videos and presentations on these things, they are actually coming.
I'd like to think they are coming. But the thing is, I can go out and buy all those things. Today, not 2016 Q1, today. Just not from Microsoft.
And I still get (arguably better) access to all MS services. So Windows 10 is already irrelevant.
​I'd love to proved wrong and have MS launch a plethora of Hello and Continuum equipped high-end devices with Cortana and all other features worldwide in the next month or two. But it ain't gonna happen. Anyone thinking it will is going to be disappointed.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to think they are coming. But the thing is, I can go out and buy all those things. Today, not 2016 Q1, today. Just not from Microsoft.
And I still get (arguably better) access to all MS services. So Windows 10 is already irrelevant.
​I'd love to proved wrong and have MS launch a plethora of Hello and Continuum equipped high-end devices with Cortana and all other features worldwide in the next month or two. But it ain't gonna happen. Anyone thinking it will is going to be disappointed.
Then go buy the other things and use them till windows 10 comes out. You would have all the MS services, all the features you wanted and all the apps too. Think of it as a vacation from windows phone. When you have 3 years of catching up to do, it takes time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss