Nokia Lumia 830 vs Apple iPhone 6

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to think they are coming. But the thing is, I can go out and buy all those things. Today, not 2016 Q1, today. Just not from Microsoft.
And I still get (arguably better) access to all MS services. So Windows 10 is already irrelevant.
​I'd love to proved wrong and have MS launch a plethora of Hello and Continuum equipped high-end devices with Cortana and all other features worldwide in the next month or two. But it ain't gonna happen. Anyone thinking it will is going to be disappointed.

You make good points. Except miss one. People often don't like Google or Apple for reasons of principle. Whether that's the fact that you are the product to Google and they mine all your data, forcing use of Google+ etc. and have poor security, or Apple where users are pretentious and love getting ripped off.

I think Apple makes great products that 'just work', and are technically very good. Not cutting edge, but what is needed. An impressive feat. But also way overpriced.

Google based (Android) products have terrible security. Almost every phone on the market has vulnerabilities on it because there is no centralized OS update mechanism. Today I would never feel secure browsing the web or installing third party apps that something wasn't going to start spying on me. And that is outside Google already doing that with any data in their systems.

Microsoft is the third place platform, but I feel it's the best value and I have the highest trust in it. Currently.

Since I'm ok with only having around 200 apps on my phone with plenty of tools and games (of which I daily use about 8), Windows Mobile supports me well and keeps my data safe, all for a great price.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
But windows 10 actually brings most of these features. Voice assistants available internationally, worldwide launches of products and services and availability of wearables aren't magically sorted out after an OS update though. But the other features are definitely coming to windows 10. Microsoft did videos and presentations on these things, they are actually coming.
New Retail Peripherals and NFC/HCE Support in Windows 10 | Build 2015 | Channel 9
Microsoft Passport and Windows Hello: Moving Beyond Passwords and Credential Theft | Build 2015 | Channel 9
Microsoft Passport and Windows Hello: Moving Beyond Passwords and Credential Theft | Build 2015 | Channel 9

and by the time win 10 comes out, google and apple will have added another long list of things that windows lacks and they'll constantly be trying to catch up. if you don't mind having fewer apps, features, and functionality, fine.

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Are you arguing which is cheaper, which is better value for money, or which is the better phone?

All 3 are different things.
The better phone is iPhone 6 hands down. It is ridiculous to even argue that.
Cheaper phone is 830.
Value for money one can say neck and neck considering the additional value from app library, screen, production quality, camera factors. I would say 830 is a bit higher since the price gap is huge. L830 can be had for approx. 250? without contract on amazon.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
iPhones are best for the majority of people. Easy to use, ecosystem is already there. The OS just works with little problems. Despite it seeming like a ripoff with there being less features than android, the features that exist function well.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
and by the time win 10 comes out, google and apple will have added another long list of things that windows lacks and they'll constantly be trying to catch up. if you don't mind having fewer apps, features, and functionality, fine.

From the recent leaks and talks about google and apple, they seem to be focusing more on IoT, with few big features being added to the phone OS. After 10, there are going to be lots of little update since Microsoft will have more control over the update process. If any features are added in android or IOS, Microsoft can catch up, quickly next time and even has chances to even surpass the others in some places

n m

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I own several WPs, but seriously? There is NO comparison. One phone is a great phone and a massive juggernaut of a success, one is a great phone on a near dead platform. Other than the 6 people on this thread who cares? Clearly Microsoft doesn't.

Pegasus1552000

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I totally agree on your comment regarding that most of the Iphoners are not tech junkies.
and then i ask should you be a tech junkie to begin with ?

nowdays software is all about being more intuitive and natural and i think windows phone manages that in a great way so, I believe the problem that microsoft needs to tackle is how they relate to customers in a way that is satisfying to both.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
from the recent leaks and talks about google and apple, they seem to be focusing more on iot, with few big features being added to the phone os. After 10, there are going to be lots of little update since microsoft will have more control over the update process. If any features are added in android or ios, microsoft can catch up, quickly next time and even has chances to even surpass the others in some places
we've literally been waiting for microsoft to catch up since 2007. It ain't happening.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
we've literally been waiting for microsoft to catch up since 2007. It ain't happening.

But at least with the W10 they try to get closer. And the purchase of Nokia is also a step in the good direction. And the many new low/ mid level phones sell good.

But no guarantees and I do not want to try and convince you that they will catch up.
If you think it's not going to happen then that's okay.
For me above is enough to stay with windows phones.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Price/value aside which one do you think is superior? Especially camera

Just curious

Ps: Lumia 640xl vs iPhone 6+ ?
the currently available applications ("coming soon" does not count as an application), waterproof accessories, and availability of screen replacements in every city across the planet for the iPhone makes it the winner, for me.

sure, you may be able to zoom in 10% more on a photo with the lumia, or store twice as many digital files on it, but the handsets are well past the "good enough" watermark on the hardware front.

at this point, if there isn't software development, they're isn't a future for the device, so the iPhone wins.

Michael Bennink

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone is a good product. But there are a lot of people blindly buying Apple products becouse of the fact its an Apple product. They no longer educate themselfs about other products that might be better, or better suited for there needs.

This kind of behaviour is where the whole iSheep thingy comes from, and in some cases its a valid point to be made, take the Apple Watch for example ;-)

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
For about twice the price (pls don't say its cheaper if on carrier subsidised deals) I expect it to be twice as good as the 830. Which of course it isn't.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone is a good product. But there are a lot of people blindly buying Apple products becouse of the fact its an Apple product. They no longer educate themselfs about other products that might be better, or better suited for there needs.

This kind of behaviour is where the whole iSheep thingy comes from, and in some cases its a valid point to be made, take the Apple Watch for example ;-)

That is indeed true but Apple got these fans by making a good product, creating the app support AND creating the "feel good / better" with an Apple product.
Apple did a very good job in creating the believe (and it does not matter if it is true or not) that Apple is special and gives "status". And you can not blame a company to attract and keep customers.

But this makes it more difficult to get Apple fans to change to another OS because it's not only hardware/apps but also the "feeling" you have to "beat".
Or in other (overdone) words. If you have a Apple you "made it" and if you have another device your "less".

So yes you have indeed ISheep but I would not mind to see the windows phone market share go to 15 % and 10% of them where MSsheep.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought an iPhone because my work had a required app I needed that wasn't on windows phone. I first went android, then tried iPhone, it isn't just the apps that are available, the app quality is light years ahead of android, and most of the time not even available or never updated with new features on windows phone. The operating system, the ecosystem make an iPhone value more than double of a 830.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a 735 and iPhone 6. Both are 4.7' screen resolutions. But the iPhone 6 is just leaps over the 735! It so much faster in every way and you get the most and best apps too from the Apple itune store. Screen quality is close to that of the iPhone 6 since one is 316 and the other is 326. 735 looks to me to be sharper. The quality and feel of the iPhone 6 on another plane. Metal vs. polycarbonate. You also will find tons upon tons of accessories for the iPhone 6 and my iPhone is the "unlocked" model so it has radios for all of North America including the U.S.; and EU and parts of Far East including Japan. I have an international 735 so it is unlocked too but the radios are still limited compare to the iPhone 6 unlocked. It has like 2 pages of specs just on the radios that are built-in to this model.

I been a WP fan since the 800 but use mostly iPhone for my daily driver. I love technology and play around with it. But Microsoft in the U.S. does not know how to sell it's Lumia brand WP!

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The 735 and iPhone are in different leagues. One costs 3-4 times the price of the other.

It is amazing the 735 is so good for the money. As you say, screen is great and you can run so many great apps. IPhone of course has the edge there but no where near as far as it was a year ago.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
So your iPhone bores you? iPhones bore me too...
I don't own an iphone. I own an icon, which i got after my 1520, which i got after my 1020, which i got after my 920, which i got after my 8x, which i got after my samsung focus, which i got after my lg quantum, which i got after my LG optimus 7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923