Nokia Lumia 830 vs Apple iPhone 6

Win316

May 28, 2015
Visit site
An alternative question would be: Do most people need an iPhone 6, or any other high end phone? Most people use their phones for pics and social media apps, and I highly doubt a flagship is needed for any of that.
Truth of the matter is, people just want to have the next big thing, even if they're not using it to its full capacity.

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone, or had one as a phone. My wife has had then I'm the past and I couldn't stand how restrictively simple the OS was. It drove me nuts to try and do simple things on it, but I am more used to Android honestly. Android and windows feels like they are more user friendly in that respect.

I think it really comes down to support honestly. I think the iPhone is a better phone simply because apple actually supports and knows what they are doing with it. Windows seems like they are all over the place with their mobile market and THAT drives me nuts.

I've been going back and forth between Android and windows phones for about 4 years now and it kinda feels like Microsoft is confused. I hope it stops with wp10 but the way they do things it doesn't seem like it will. I liked the initial idea of a phone OS that brings everything together in one place; groups, me tile, people hub, all awesome ideas that just needed to be built up and instead of doing that they chose to try and be more like the competition. I don't care for the notification bar I think it's redundant when you have live tiles. I think a side opening charm bar would have been way more unique and it could have functions the same way and still be different.

I love my 830 and I'll never get an iPhone but apple wins unfortunately simply because they have a plan. Something ms seemed to have when wp7 was released and is gone now.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If I have to pick I would prefer iPhone 6. I may miss physical shooting button. If you compare it to 930 it's another story.

It's not I dislike. 830 but time wise 6 better

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone, or had one as a phone. My wife has had then I'm the past and I couldn't stand how restrictively simple the OS was. It drove me nuts to try and do simple things on it, but I am more used to Android honestly. Android and windows feels like they are more user friendly in that respect.

I think it really comes down to support honestly. I think the iPhone is a better phone simply because apple actually supports and knows what they are doing with it. Windows seems like they are all over the place with their mobile market and THAT drives me nuts.

I've been going back and forth between Android and windows phones for about 4 years now and it kinda feels like Microsoft is confused. I hope it stops with wp10 but the way they do things it doesn't seem like it will. I liked the initial idea of a phone OS that brings everything together in one place; groups, me tile, people hub, all awesome ideas that just needed to be built up and instead of doing that they chose to try and be more like the competition. I don't care for the notification bar I think it's redundant when you have live tiles. I think a side opening charm bar would have been way more unique and it could have functions the same way and still be different.

I love my 830 and I'll never get an iPhone but apple wins unfortunately simply because they have a plan. Something ms seemed to have when wp7 was released and is gone now.
I have a dell venue 8 pro, and the usage model with full windows 8.1 is far superior vs windows phone 8.1. when i grab my icon i constantly try to swipe apps in from the side, and close by dragging from the top. they really blew it when they copied android and didn't follow through with their superior usage design. my phone is much less functional than my tablet, and that sucks. I wish i could get the desktop interface on my phone. it's far better.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a dell venue 8 pro, and the usage model with full windows 8.1 is far superior vs windows phone 8.1. when i grab my icon i constantly try to swipe apps in from the side, and close by dragging from the top. they really blew it when they copied android and didn't follow through with their superior usage design. my phone is much less functional than my tablet, and that sucks. I wish i could get the desktop interface on my phone. it's far better.

That is the laptop dude

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Were you expecting your phone to be more functional than a tablet? Also, I'm not understanding your complaint. You seem to be trying to use them the same and then complaining when they don't work the same. :\

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a 930 and an Iphone 6+. I keep switching them on and off. When Im with the iphone 6 I need the 930 and when I?m with the 930 I need the Iphone 6. For example, today I was at the airport, I forgot to check in online so I grabbed my phone and want to do the online check in on my phone and I had the 930 with me but the airline app was on the iphone 6. Anyway, I guess you canta have it all.

Win316

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a 930 and an Iphone 6+. I keep switching them on and off. When Im with the iphone 6 I need the 930 and when I?m with the 930 I need the Iphone 6. For example, today I was at the airport, I forgot to check in online so I grabbed my phone and want to do the online check in on my phone and I had the 930 with me but the airline app was on the iphone 6. Anyway, I guess you canta have it all.

You should have it all with Windows Mobile 10, hopefully at least

cfs12

May 31, 2015
Visit site
They are not comparable in any way. I've been using the 830 for a few days now. It's a very nicely built device but the screen is a bit disappointing, definitely a step down from the 720 i've been using until now. Flash is weaker too. Photos are average-good but the auto mode often decides the wrong settings.

Btw, does anyone else have a hardware problem on the line where screen bottom and aluminium meet? There is an easily noticeable light bleed from the keys/screen. If you use it in a dark room it's obvious. Any ideas for a DIY fix ??

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Were you expecting your phone to be more functional than a tablet? Also, I'm not understanding your complaint. You seem to be trying to use them the same and then complaining when they don't work the same. :\
I'm saying the interaction model on the dell is far superior. swiping from the edges is a much better system than what we currently have on wp.

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was not impressed with the 830 during the time I had one. Very overpriced for its performance.

It had some of the same issues that I have just seen in general with the Windows Mobile platform across each model I've used ranging from the 520 & 521 to the 820 on up through the 920, 1020, 1520 and even the HTC One M8. As smooth as people try convincing me that the OS is, it just is not.

Really though, I am not sure if I should attribute this to the OS itself, or the developers of the apps.

For the last 2 months, I have been using an iPhone 6 as my daily device. First time using an iPhone on a regular basis actually.

The only issues I have had with it are related to the Swiftkey keyboard acting wonky within some apps and of course battery life. Being so thin, there is no real way around this issue.

But from my 2 month run here with it, I never realized just how well apps work with each other. Instead of opening a web browser to see something after tapping a link, it actually opens the installed app.

Again, is this an OS issue or a developer issue regarding Windows Mobile? I am not sure I really know the full answer to this since most top iOS developers do not develop for Windows Mobile as well.

The big comparison, that will be a more worthwhile discussion to me, will be when we get the 940 and/or 940XL and how it will shape up to the iPhone 6s & iPhone 6s+.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I was not impressed with the 830 during the time I had one. Very overpriced for its performance.

It had some of the same issues that I have just seen in general with the Windows Mobile platform across each model I've used ranging from the 520 & 521 to the 820 on up through the 920, 1020, 1520 and even the HTC One M8. As smooth as people try convincing me that the OS is, it just is not.

Really though, I am not sure if I should attribute this to the OS itself, or the developers of the apps.

For the last 2 months, I have been using an iPhone 6 as my daily device. First time using an iPhone on a regular basis actually.

The only issues I have had with it are related to the Swiftkey keyboard acting wonky within some apps and of course battery life. Being so thin, there is no real way around this issue.

But from my 2 month run here with it, I never realized just how well apps work with each other. Instead of opening a web browser to see something after tapping a link, it actually opens the installed app.

Again, is this an OS issue or a developer issue regarding Windows Mobile? I am not sure I really know the full answer to this since most top iOS developers do not develop for Windows Mobile as well.

The big comparison, that will be a more worthwhile discussion to me, will be when we get the 940 and/or 940XL and how it will shape up to the iPhone 6s & iPhone 6s+.

Sadly, it is the OS issues as well the the app. Take Facebook app for example. Lots of times tapping on a post will open the mobile site on the IE rather than within Facebook app. I don't see such weird behaviors at all while using my Note 4. I bet neither will it happen on iPhone. Is just frustrating when using my 1520. There are tons of apps on the store which are merely nothing but wrappers to the external web links. Apps don't talk well to each other on Windows phones. Look at the limited number of app choices when comes to sharing of information across them. It is just pathetic.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm saying the interaction model on the dell is far superior. swiping from the edges is a much better system than what we currently have on wp.
You have to understand that there will be conflicts with apps that use the same swipe gestures and even some phones with on screen keys use the 'swipe' from the edge gesture to hide/show the on screen keys.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
You have to understand that there will be conflicts with apps that use the same swipe gestures and even some phones with on screen keys use the 'swipe' from the edge gesture to hide/show the on screen keys.
i understand that. i just think they screwed up when designing the UI, though BBos shows it's not a universally popular model of interaction.

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
There's no way that the app gap will be closed by Christmas this year. We might see Win 10 for phones in October, but that's doubful, and most developers are likely going to wait to see if the platform will take off before deciding to go for a Windows app.

Add to that that Win 10 for phones really doesn't add that much value. There's really nothing that will make people go "wow", it's still very much Windows Phone, you know the OS that most people have not learned to love during the last 3-4 years. If you like Windows Phone, fine, then you'll probably buy a new Windows phone. If not, well then you'll most likely end up looking at Android or iOS.

My definition was new apps appearing as iOS android and windows phone. I don't care about all those fart apps. I just want to see that when a new apps is released we get it on windows. From and what they show at build makes that look very possible.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't care about the apps in Android or iOS. MSFT better make sure their own core apps work like a dream on W10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb