tools
    Price/value aside which one do you think is superior? Especially camera

Just curious

Ps: Lumia 640xl vs iPhone 6+ ?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-24-2015 03:43 PM
    the 830 is far better
    05-24-2015 04:12 PM
    Lumia 830... better, much more customizable aesthetics, SD card support, better camera (including OIS), wireless charging, bigger display, Glance Screen, much more modern OS. Not even close, in my humble opinion. Then again, this a Lumia forum. Although, I'd bet good money that Lumia owners are generally a lot more informed about what they're buying than your typical iPhoner.
    05-24-2015 11:58 PM
    Bo, that's a good topic. I've moved it to the Phone Wars forum.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    RumoredNow and bo_woods like this.
    05-25-2015 12:11 AM
    ...and how much does a 6+ cost? Haha
    05-25-2015 12:18 AM
    Your asking this question on a biased forum, so of course they are going to say the Lumia over the iPhone! Very unfair in my book. I would argue that the iPhone is indeed superior over the Lumia.

Better software and third party support, much better design (IMO), an amazing camera, an with better support from Microsoft, I say the iPhone is the better choice. Not to mention the best of Apple's, Google's, Microsoft's, and even Blackberry's ecosystem under its plate, the iPhone is one great choice!
    Last edited by Jaredallister; 05-25-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Reasons for the iPhone
    05-25-2015 01:29 PM
    Considering OS updates
    Apps/games quality
    Screen quality
    Audio quality
    Powerful processor and GPU
    Speed
    MS support

I'll choose iPhone over L830.

L830 camera might be better but there won't be much difference.
    iPhone camera aren't bad.

Other than Camera and iPhone beat sh*t out of L830 in every possible department.

That includes price too.
    05-25-2015 01:49 PM
    That includes price too.
    Which iPhone are you talking about? IPhone 6 is no way cheaper than Lumia 830.
    Maybe you're chatting about the wrong iPhone :/
    05-25-2015 02:08 PM
    Which iPhone are you talking about? IPhone 6 is no way cheaper than Lumia 830.
    Maybe you're chatting about the wrong iPhone :/
    It was a sarcasm.
    05-25-2015 02:11 PM
    Lumia 830:

Better camera, with OIS!
    Better audio recording while shooting videos (Stereo 5.1 channels from the Lumia 830 vs Mono from the iPhone 6 LOL)
    Better storage with 16 GB + 128 GB from micro SD
    Both have great screen, although Lumia 830 has Glance.
    Removable battery from the 830.
    Price tag!!

You can watch YouTube comparisons, Lumia 830 FTW.
    05-25-2015 02:21 PM
    I've used both. The Lumia 830 feels nicer in hand, more warm. It also catches the eye more, has a superior camera, a great screen, microSD card support, and good performance. It's also cheaper.
    However, the iPhone is a nice looking phone, with great performance, a good camera (but not as good as the 830), and better support. It depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for something different and unique? The Lumia 830. Or something guaranteed good support? iPhone.
    I, honestly, prefer the 830 for three reasons:
    Camera
    Design
    Windows
    And I can't stand the iPhone because of:
    iOS
    iTunes
    Price
    05-25-2015 04:02 PM
    I had an 830 for a few days and would've kept it had it not been for the stupid issue with the search button not working with a screen protector applied. In retrospect and as a current iPhone 6 user, I wish I had kept the 830 or put up with my old 920 until the 640xl is available. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone. It works great, but it makes me sick to think how much I paid for it. For $850, I could've bought a decent laptop and gotten 5 years use out of it. This thing is getting replaced in 2 years. I should be getting as replaceable battery, storage expansion, dust/water resistance and a hell of a lot more durability for this kind of money. On the plus side, It's got a good camera (except low light performance), much better gps and app support is there. The 830's camera with the exception of shutter speed, probably beat the iPhone's camera, its gps was acceptable, I had a removable battery/SD card support. Never used a lot of apps anyway other than basics. WP10 judging by the preview, is going to be great.

So, my wall of text basically says, the 830 is a better deal.
    05-25-2015 08:09 PM
    I had an 830 for a few days and would've kept it had it not been for the stupid issue with the search button not working with a screen protector applied. In retrospect and as a current iPhone 6 user, I wish I had kept the 830 or put up with my old 920 until the 640xl is available. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone. It works great, but it makes me sick to think how much I paid for it. For $850, I could've bought a decent laptop and gotten 5 years use out of it. This thing is getting replaced in 2 years. I should be getting as replaceable battery, storage expansion, dust/water resistance and a hell of a lot more durability for this kind of money. On the plus side, It's got a good camera (except low light performance), much better gps and app support is there. The 830's camera with the exception of shutter speed, probably beat the iPhone's camera, its gps was acceptable, I had a removable battery/SD card support. Never used a lot of apps anyway other than basics. WP10 judging by the preview, is going to be great.

I had the exact same issue with the screen protector on my 830. I actually detail it in my review (just titled FULL Review Nokia Lumia 830).
    05-25-2015 09:37 PM
    There was definitely something defective about the 830's search button. Would've exchanged it, but given how widespread the issue was, I was more than likely just going to end up with the same problem with a different 830. I remember reading quite a few posts about it.. Just another Nokia QC blunder. Makes me glad MS has control now. I hope ridiculous things like this don't repeat going forward.
    05-25-2015 11:31 PM
    Where do I switch regions so the video sounds like English? :)
    05-25-2015 11:49 PM
    There was definitely something defective about the 830's search button. Would've exchanged it, but given how widespread the issue was, I was more than likely just going to end up with the same problem with a different 830. I remember reading quite a few posts about it.. Just another Nokia QC blunder. Makes me glad MS has control now. I hope ridiculous things like this don't repeat going forward.
    The Search button was the worse of the three, but I'm pretty sure it's the very nature of the screen. You see, the Lumia 830's screen slopes gently into the frame surrounding it. It starts quite early on so it's very discreet. It looks and feels wonderful, but it has the unintended consequence of making using screen protectors ridiculous. Especially tempered glass screen protectors. They can't sit flat, and they cover a pathetically small amount of the screen. Because they're always peeling off, there's a gap of air between the glass and the Search button (and the Back button, but that wasn't QUITE as bad. It still didn't work very well, and the Home failed every now and then), which causes it to not register your taps.
    05-26-2015 12:27 AM
    Definitely... every Nokia flagship at least since the 920 ( I've only been team windows since the 900 release and didn't even have that), has seemed to have some major bugs/defects... very common too.. so when iPhone bendgate happened, I don't see why so many Lumina users felt so proud and tall... not only did that happen to very few people, but those people I believe got replacements under warranty.. while ghost taps, heat issues, major battery drain, etc. are all affecting what appears to be many many people on their respective Lumina flagship phones, and the worst of it all is the fact that a lot of these devices have passed or are rapidly approaching the end of their warranty periods... the 830 is safer however because it is under a year old, which will guarantee current support/replacements and its not missing major features like the 930, other than hey Cortland and 4k capture, which IMO make it the best all around windows phone right now
    05-26-2015 12:28 AM
    I cant believe that we reached a point that we are saying that the 830 is better than the iPhone 6!? seriously guys.

someone highlighted that the "audio" is better on the 830 when recording video, while i will give the 830 that part, but you have to be fair, the iPhone can shoot 240 frames per second, so one point 830, one point iPhone 6.

the camera on the iPhone in my opinion is way better, regardless of the OIS. the shutter speed on the iPhone 6 is faster than the 830 therefore final result is not that different. i have seen shots of the iPhone, always looks better.

So cut the fanboysim guys, and lets be realistic.​ The iPhone 6 is overall way better than the 830.
    05-26-2015 02:32 AM
    I cant believe that we reached a point that we are saying that the 830 is better than the iPhone 6!? seriously guys.

So cut the fanboysim guys, and lets be realistic.​ The iPhone 6 is overall way better than the 830.
    But is it 3 times better then the 830 because that's the difference in price.
    05-26-2015 02:59 AM
    But is it 3 times better then the 830 because that's the difference in price.
    Yes it is. otherwise people wouldn't be buying it.

People who are willing to buy the IPhone bearing its cost in mind are not comparing it with the 830.​​ i would at least expect them to compare it to the 930.

It is like saying is the Mercedes S class 3 times better than a BMW 5 series. well...those two products are not even competitors.​

We have to compare the S class with a 7 series, that's when we start to make sense.​

OP even wants feedback comparing the 640 XL with the IPhone 6....... :S​
    05-26-2015 07:21 AM

People who are willing to buy the IPhone bearing its cost in mind are not comparing it with the 830.​​ i would at least expect them to compare it to the 930.

It is like saying is the Mercedes S class 3 times better than a BMW 5 series. well...those two products are not even competitors.​

We have to compare the S class with a 7 series, that's when we start to make sense.​

But the reason why this discussion is relevant is because apple has once again made a device marketed to comptete in the high end spectrum, but has midrange internals making it comparable to the 830
    920Walker likes this.
    05-26-2015 07:34 AM
    The 830 (which I own and currently use) is a good phone but this sums it best IMO.
    05-26-2015 08:08 AM

Indeed comparisons have to be fare.
    But it's more then the spec alone. The big big advantage of Apple is the "brand name" they have (earned) compared with Microsoft.
    I am sure if the 930 hardware was in the iphone 6 and the Iphone 6 hardware in the 930 . The Iphone (with 930 hardware) would still be sold much more more.
    We (or I at least) have to admire the status a Iphone has in the mobile land.

Edit:
    And for the longer version see below post.😃
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 05-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    05-26-2015 08:09 AM

The only people who are comparing the iPhone 6 to the Lumia 830, here, right now. 99% of people who own an iPhone have never even heard of the Nokia Lumia 830 and if they had given it a chance I guarantee a large portion of them would be more satisfied with the Lumia 830.
    The reason Apple has such a large fan base is marketing, and timing. They came in at the right time and spent billions on getting the iPhone out there and rested a fan base who would die for Apple. Samsung did the same thing, and although their fans aren't as sheep-like, they were more successful market-share-wise.
    I've used both phones, and I firmly believe the Lumia 830 is the better phone. If the iPhone 6 was priced closer to the Lumia 830, it would be a harder battle. So of course they can be compared, because the Lumia 830 honestly can compete with the iPhone 6 in a lot of ways.
    Design wise, it's a matter of opinion. I prefer the warmer, sturdier feeling of the Lumia 830, but I quite like the iPhone 6's curves. I don't like the little camera hump on the iPhone, though. I think the camera housing is way nicer on the Lumia 830.
    Camera wise, I think the Lumia 830 edges out just a little. The iPhone 6 is faster giving it some points but I've compared both myself and the Lumia 830 is more detailed and deals with lighting way better. And, of course, the Lumia 830 has OIS, which a phone nearly twice as expensive does not, and never has (excluding the Plus). Features, the iPhone 6 is a little better, but the Lumia 830 has some awesome features like Rich Capture and Lumia Camera can only get better. Also, audio recording is better on the Lumia 830. Oh, and you can't forget the two-stage shutter button. That's INCREDIBLY useful.
    Performance is the one area the iPhone wins hands down. Sorry, 830, but your Snapdragon 400 is found in phones Hal YOUR price. It's good enough, but not as good as it should've been. The iPhone's A8 is way ahead here.
    Screen wise, the iPhone 6 is just a bit ahead. It has a higher resolution, and slightly better color calibration, but the Lumia 830 still has a great screen that can at least compare to the iPhone 6, and wins some bonus points for being able to fit a 5inch screen into a body nearly the same size as an iPhone 6 (those top and bottom bezels are just huge on iPhones).
    Software...I think the Lumia 830 wins hands down. Yes this is my opinion, and I know that iPhones have better support and more features, but I can't stand the restrictive nature of iOS and I hate iTunes. So here, for me, the Lumia 830 wins.
    Extra features...Lumia 830 again. It has NFC and Bluetooth, same as the iPhone, but also has microSD card support, wireless charging, and a removable battery. And why none of these are strictly necessary, someone will always find them useful and important.
    In the end, the Lumia 830 wins. If the iPhone 6 was in a similar price range, it might be a tie or honestly the iPhone 6 would probably win. But they're not, the iPhone is twice the price. In that aspect, the Lumia 830 kicks its sodding teeth in.
    05-26-2015 10:38 AM
    The reason Apple has such a large fan base is marketing, and timing. They came in at the right time and spent billions on getting the iPhone out there and rested a fan base who would die for Apple. Samsung did the same thing, and although their fans aren't as sheep-like, they were more successful market-share-wise.
    Im pretty sure if it was only marketing and timing, people would've stopped using it and buying by now. If you're really being honest you'd notice there are alternatives in the market.

I'm more to the conclusion that the iPhone is actually a good product, and people aren't just sheep because people on the internet say so. Maybe, just maybe, people actually like the iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tgp, steve_w_7, nmco9 and 1 others like this.
    05-26-2015 11:09 AM
167 123 ...