Android M vs. Windows 10 mobile

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have not had good success with either of those.

Which build did you use most recently? I was playing with 10130 this past week and I must say it's night and day from the 9900 series. I know I'm going to get some flak for this but I really don't get the hate for "tablet mode". I do find Edge/Spartan to still be a wee bit buggy but the actual core is fantastic. As for W10M, I had the first release on a 635 and it ran fine for about 2 weeks. I had a later build on my then-1520 and it was great except for the hack job they did on what was then the world's best VKB. I guess the old adage is true, your mileage may vary.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Which build did you use most recently? I was playing with 10130 this past week and I must say it's night and day from the 9900 series. I know I'm going to get some flak for this but I really don't get the hate for "tablet mode". I do find Edge/Spartan to still be a wee bit buggy but the actual core is fantastic. As for W10M, I had the first release on a 635 and it ran fine for about 2 weeks. I had a later build on my then-1520 and it was great except for the hack job they did on what was then the world's best VKB. I guess the old adage is true, your mileage may vary.

I always install the latest as soon as they drop, so I'm always on the most recent. :wink:

My WP is an AT&T 920. It has never worked well with any of the preview drops. Pretty much every time I change screens I see Resuming... And the stores are another issue in themselves!

On the desktop, the last couple updates have worked fairly well, but they're just sluggish. It's not hardware; the PC it's running on performed very well with Windows 7 and 8.1.

You are certainly correct with YMMV!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
On the desktop, the last couple updates have worked fairly well, but they're just sluggish. It's not hardware; the PC it's running on performed very well with Windows 7 and 8.1.

I have learned the painful way that most of the problems are not so much hardware related like CPU or RAM, but rather graphics drivers. Compatibility settings are not very friendly to W10 for some reason.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I sure hope M is better than Lollipop. 5.0 is to Android what Millennium Edition was to Windows. At least Vista with SP2 was awesome but I digress. Just goes to show you that no one is immune to a garbage release (iOS 8, Symbian Anna).

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
I'd compare Lollipop 5.1.1 to Vista SP1. Both Vista SP1 and Lollipop 5.1.1 fixed the worst bugs in their introductory versions.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd compare Lollipop 5.1.1 to Vista SP1. Both Vista SP1 and Lollipop 5.1.1 fixed the worst bugs in their introductory versions.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Good ol Vista aha, I was working at EB Games/Gamestop when it was released and got it with an employee discount. I think I was one of the few excited to get off WinXP.

Sidenote: Oddly enough, after Vista, I don't think Gamestop ventured in PC Software (minus gaming) anymore lol.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
S
I have no clue, as I said I have never even unlocked an android phone let alone got a comment on lag. The guys was speaking with is a professional coder, he said don't look at anything less than snapdragon 400 for android. I have the 200 in the 535 and no issues at this time on win 10.

I don't wish to throw gasoline on the fire here, but someone on another thread posted a link to a review by Anandtech. It is the first of any direct comparisons I recall seeing, and it does kind of back up what I've said that I don't think Android would perform worse than WP on the same hardware. Of course it is not exactly the same hardware, but comparing the 640 to the Moto G and Moto E, which have the similar specs, Android was at least as good if not better in most performance tests, including the browser. It was also comparable in battery life, and better in standby time. In any case, it's a good read.

The Microsoft Lumia 640 Review

It is a multi page review, but the link takes you to the system performance part of the review.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't wish to throw gasoline on the fire here, but someone on another thread posted a link to a review by Anandtech. It is the first of any direct comparisons I recall seeing, and it does kind of back up what I've said that I don't think Android would perform worse than WP on the same hardware. Of course it is not exactly the same hardware, but comparing the 640 to the Moto G and Moto E, which have the similar specs, Android was at least as good if not better in most performance tests, including the browser. It was also comparable in battery life, and better in standby time. In any case, it's a good read.

It is a multi page review, but the link takes you to the system performance part of the review.

Thanks for the link. That review is brutal, didn't expect Windows Phone to be this far behind Android in terms of performance.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for that, interesting read, through a bit surprised, my Lumia 535 sure does not feel slow, and that's coming from an iPhone 5.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, interesting read, through a bit surprised, my Lumia 535 sure does not feel slow, and that's coming from an iPhone 5.

That's the caveat with benchmarks; what happens on paper is sometimes different than what happens in real life.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
That's the caveat with benchmarks; what happens on paper is sometimes different than what happens in real life.
True, that then makes comparisons even harder, benchmarks do it but are not 'real world'. I'm just gonna go with the subjective win 10 is vastly better to gooogle M ;)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Best thing about Android M: Doze!
Best thing about W10M: Continuum, Windows Apps and New UI.

The UI is new? Not from the videos I've seen and screenshots.

M is slight improvements over lollipop, I like the new option to restrict apps to your phone.

W10 I like the universal app design with the pc and tablets

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

Let me start this by saying I am not a ****** of anything, and have owned a lot of Android phones. My main line is a s6 in fact.

This said, when it comes to Windows phone, hardware stats and apparently benchmarks are meaningless. I own a lumia 640 as my business phone, and it is very fluid, very consistent, and fast at everything except loading non ms apps.

When my s6 is working properly and not lagging, yes, it's stupid fast and nothing can touch it, including the nexus 6 I recently sold. However, key word is when. It randomly gets laggy, stuttery, janky. It's running 5.1.1.

Every time I pick up my 640 I know exactly what I'm going to get. The s6 is a crap shoot. Sometimes it's a beast. Sometimes it's a laggy pile of crap.

Btw, I don't see some of the complaints in that review. Stutter when pulling down the notification shade? My 640 definitely does not do that.

Android 4.4.4 was outstanding. 5.anything is like Vista or ME. It's just terrible and can trip up the s6's silicon which is ridiculous.

Random note: I'd buy a s6 running wp10 in a heartbeat. It's an incredible piece of hardware. The screen and camera tech are both absurd. Too bad the software lets it down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)