08-12-2015 11:14 AM
78 1234
tools
    I always fall for the same old trick with android. Every new phone is being advertised as having a great battery life, but the real world use is nowhere near what the specs say. And there goes, get an android every year just to find out over and over again that the phone loses its power up to 50% while idling over the period of 8 hours. Every other OS weather iOS, Windows or BB have somehow figured it out but not Google. I don't know, I think I am done with it. My 640 and my Q10 work great.
    The Blu android phones don't do that. I have a Blu Vivo Air. It loses about 4% per day in idle (with a sim in it), while getting all notifications.

There's something messed up in Android for idle time, but that random little Florida company Blu has fixed it.

Kind of interesting. Google should buy that company just for the fix to standby battery consumption.
    08-06-2015 01:36 AM
    The only issue is that although the Lumia 640 scored well with reviews (for a Windows Phone) we all know that the new Moto G will instantly get 9/10's and 10/10's from every side. I believe without a doubt the Lumia 640 is the better deal but...Windows Phone. Critics hate it for some reason. Not all of them, quite a few actually like it. But none of them actually...ya know...use a Windows Phone.
    The 640 is half the price of the moto g. Heck, less than half the price for AT&T versions at Walmart.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-2015 01:38 AM
    In fairness, the 640 model that's *that* cheap is a locked one. Easily unlockable, yes, but the unlocked, non-carrier garbage'd versions that won't be greatly hamstrung when it comes to updates cost about as much as the new, and unlocked, Moto G.
    etad putta likes this.
    08-06-2015 06:15 AM
    The 640 is half the price of the moto g. Heck, less than half the price for AT&T versions at Walmart.
    I know that the Lumia 640 is cheaper, precisely why it's the better deal. I thought I had mentioned how the 640 is way cheaper but I guess I didn't.
    08-06-2015 07:04 AM
    Is the 640 REALLY cheaper?

Microsoft Lumia 640 Smartphone RM-1072 (Unlocked LTE, 8GB, Black) #A00024420 - Expansys USA

If we're comparing prices, then it's only fair to compare comparable models of phones.
    08-06-2015 07:39 AM

Microsoft Lumia 640 Smartphone RM-1072 (Unlocked LTE, 8GB, Black) #A00024420 - Expansys USA

If we're comparing prices, then it's only fair to compare comparable models of phones.
    Yes, actually, it is. The retail price of a Lumia 640 is approximately...what, 40 pounds cheaper than the bottom model of the G 3? I believe that's what it is.
    08-06-2015 08:10 AM
    Yes, actually, it is. The retail price of a Lumia 640 is approximately...what, 40 pounds cheaper than the bottom model of the G 3? I believe that's what it is.
    Not sure about pricing globally. Didn't mean to be US-centric, but comparing the 1gb/8gb unlocked 640/G 2015 models available, they're comparable. $179 for the G, ~$175 for the 640 via Expansys.
    08-06-2015 08:24 AM
    As a daily Android user, I understand the battery concerns.

I also understand that this is said about every major Android software update, but I truly beileve that M will finally fix a lot of the battery issues with Android. And the Moto G, being a Moto phone with no heavy skin or whatever, will get M pretty quickly. I'm personally very excited for it. I went from a OnePlus One to the new Moto G and I'm very much enjoying it, personally. Android M will also change how Android handles SD cards, becoming exactly like it's handled by Windows Phone now.

And yes, I own a Lumia 640, too.
    Welcome to the Soon Club....
    08-06-2015 09:53 AM
    Not sure about pricing globally. Didn't mean to be US-centric, but comparing the 1gb/8gb unlocked 640/G 2015 models available, they're comparable. $179 for the G, ~$175 for the 640 via Expansys.
    Of course the price different won't be the same all over the word but from what I've seen the Lumia 640 is still cheaper than the Moto G (2014) by about $10 and cheaper than the Moto G (2015) by about $40.
    Even $10 can make a big difference at that end of the market.
    Last edited by Zachary Boddy; 08-06-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: I added the last sentence because I wasn't frustrating enough already.
    08-06-2015 10:02 AM

I figured this thread would end up going in the direction. My original post was based solely on my own experience as a normal consumer going to WalMart and Best Buy. This situation won't translate to anyone who isn't also a normal consumer in America. I wasn't looking at it from a fairness standpoint. I wasn't looking at it from a reviewer standpoint. I was looking at it from my wallet. And my wallet says I paid $85 for the Lumia 640 and$197 for the Moto G. Not everyone will agree with me and I don't think it would be a great conversation if they did, but the price argument will never settle anything simply because no one market prices these phones at the same rate.
    08-06-2015 10:21 AM
    I figured this thread would end up going in the direction. My original post was based solely on my own experience as a normal consumer going to WalMart and Best Buy. This situation won't translate to anyone who isn't also a normal consumer in America. I wasn't looking at it from a fairness standpoint. I wasn't looking at it from a reviewer standpoint. I was looking at it from my wallet. And my wallet says I paid $85 for the Lumia 640 and$197 for the Moto G. Not everyone will agree with me and I don't think it would be a great conversation if they did, but the price argument will never settle anything simply because no one market prices these phones at the same rate.

Oh, I agree entirely. Like I said, I own both. I just think *if* the conversation of phone vs. phone, at large, comes up, then comparable variants should be compared.

Everyone like what you want to like. Like it, live it, I say.
    Furt likes this.
    08-06-2015 10:49 AM
    Well that didn't last long. Came home from work and found my 640 on the floor next to the nightstand.

Goodbye, screen. Goodbye, old friend.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-06-2015 12:55 PM
    Well that didn't last long. Came home from work and found my 640 on the floor next to the nightstand.

Goodbye, screen. Goodbye, old friend.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. What happened?
    08-06-2015 01:03 PM
    Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. What happened?
    Looks like one of the dogs came by and got caught in the usb cable as the 640 was charging.

Sigh. I might just sell it as-is and buy another one. Dunno.
    D M C likes this.
    08-06-2015 01:21 PM
    I agree with your issues.

Glad to have you back!
    Furt likes this.
    08-06-2015 03:30 PM
    Looks like one of the dogs came by and got caught in the usb cable as the 640 was charging.

Sigh. I might just sell it as-is and buy another one. Dunno.
    The beauty of the Lumia 640...you can buy seven of them and still not have bought an iPhone, haha.
    Schnuffi likes this.
    08-06-2015 04:29 PM
    So I went to the MS Store and bought another one with a flip case. Because, ya know, why not.

Main gripe about the flip case: no magnets, so no real protection from falls. Weak.

Picking up the one with the cracked screen, I dunno. It's not that bad. It's one single crack all the way across. Can't feel it so I don't think it's all the way through. Might return the one I just bought and keep it.

Decisions: they're not easy.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-2015 04:38 PM
    As a daily Android user, I understand the battery concerns.

I also understand that this is said about every major Android software update, but I truly beileve that M will finally fix a lot of the battery issues with Android. And the Moto G, being a Moto phone with no heavy skin or whatever, will get M pretty quickly. I'm personally very excited for it. I went from a OnePlus One to the new Moto G and I'm very much enjoying it, personally. Android M will also change how Android handles SD cards, becoming exactly like it's handled by Windows Phone now.

And yes, I own a Lumia 640, too.
    I have a Nexus 7, a Xiaomi Mi Note Pro and a Alcatel Idol OneTouch 3. The SoT is about the same or less with bigger batteries compared to my Lumia 635 or Lumia 840. Every Android version Google promises to deliver on battery life but seems to fail miserably.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-2015 05:00 PM
    Depends on the source, you quoted Expansys USA. I can get the XL LTE for $189 unlocked which is a much better phone than Moto G 2015....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-2015 05:04 PM
    I'm currently on a Moto G but as soon as the new Windows Phones come out I'm switching over.

Posted via the Windows Central App
    Furt likes this.
    08-06-2015 05:23 PM
    Depends on the source, you quoted Expansys USA. I can get the XL LTE for $189 unlocked which is a much better phone than Moto G 2015....
    I absolutely love the picture of that sexy Lumia 830 (one of which is in my pocket...in that color) on your signature. How in the world did you add that?
    08-06-2015 06:20 PM
    I absolutely love the picture of that sexy Lumia 830 (one of which is in my pocket...in that color) on your signature. How in the world did you add that?
    We have a resident in-house expert that does that. He is our esteemed Moderator Team Leader Mr. Muessig. Cheers!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-2015 06:34 PM
    So here is an interesting offering from TMO announced today:
    T-Mobile announces the ZTE Obsidian, an affordable smartphone priced at just $99.99

Anyone in their right frame of mind would go ahead and give this a look for sure:
    T-Mobile Microsoft Lumia 640 Prepaid Smartphone - Walmart.com
    08-06-2015 06:51 PM
    That ZTE is absolute hot garbage and nobody should touch it unless seeking to destroy it.
    08-06-2015 06:59 PM
    I was considering the Moto G 2015, but decided to grab the Lumia 830 for the same price instead. Never having used the 930 nor 830, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's seriously the best phone I've ever used. It's surprisingly light, the metal feels really good in the hands, and all the curves makes it a lot more enjoyable for phone calls than my pokey 630. I wanted a good camera, not just in the perfect light, as I often take photos in-doors, and it's good to hear I made the right choice :).

Only thing I dislike about Windows Phone is that many of the apps, especially the Danish apps for Denmark only, haven't been updated since 2012-2013.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-2015 07:15 PM
78 1234