I left for the Moto G 2015. I came back.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I guess I was basing it more on my personal experience as I never use apps that tie into Google services. Location is off also removing any chance of Google location services or other apps that use it pulling down gps data and eating up battery.

And there is definitely a battery drain issue with Lollipop. Mobile Radio Active bug. I'm not discounting your experiences at all. Android phones are definitely way more temperamental when it comes to battery usage.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This thread sort of exploded while I was taking my daily walk...
Bottom line, there's plenty of good devices out there. Some are great devices. They all have different goals that they're trying to accomplish. The Galaxy S6 and the iPhone 6 both try to conquer the high-end, being the best possible devices out there in every single way. Phones like the Moto E and the Nokia Lumia 540 try to give you ultimate value for a small amount of money. Phones like the Moto G and Lumia 640 try to give you the same thing, but they also give you a little more of everything.
There's the phone that's targeted at the business men (like the Note series in the past...I say in the past because the Note 5 just gets rid of all of it and is a consumer-focused phone).
There's the phone that is for the people who want only the best.
The phone that gives you the perfect compromise of performance, features, and price.
The phone that is for the people on a severe budget.
The phone for the photographer.
The phone that tries to hit its mark...but misses.
The phone that's nearly good enough but there's better alternatives.
The phone that isn't for anyone.

There's so many phones and so many target audiences for all these phones, it's nearly impossible to compare them all. Sure, comparing the LG G4 and the OnePlus 2 seems like an easy thing, since they have similar specs. But then you take into account the price of the two phones and their availability... And suddenly you're not so sure.
You can compare the iPhone and Galaxy S6, but even though they're in the same "class" they're entirely different phones in everything except possibly design and price.

Is the Microsoft Lumia 640 a superior phone to the Moto G? It may very well be, if you take the price into account. But at the same time maybe you're paying for a waterproof design...a higher megapixel camera...the Google Play Store...pure Android...and guaranteed fast updates...and a unique design...Moto Maker... That doesn't mean any of these things are better. A waterproof design would be great, but it's obviously not necessary by the fact that my phone isn't waterproof. The Lumia 640 proves that it can do a lot with only eight megapixels. Maybe I don't need all the apps the Google Play Store offers. I happen to like Windows Phone more than Android. Fast updates would be nice but doesn't Windows 10 Mobile promise the same thing for us? The Lumia 640 has a great design, even if it doesn't have as much...variation as the Moto G.
In the end, reviews mean nothing. Comparisons mean nothing.
Review scores are completely bull crap. What matters to the reviewer may not matter to us. They may mark down a phone for having a poor camera but if we never use the camera then...where's the issue? The may mark a phone up because it has a waterproof design but if we've never cared about it before then...why does it matter?
It's all about what's best for you.

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
But your opinion is same as others
and at the end moral of these story is same.
"I used Android and didn't like and now I am back to WP."

I don't see how that's a bad thing at all. If anything, it further validates the opinions of others here who made the same realization and further strengthens the image of Windows Phone by providing more insight into the various reasons the users chose it over the competition.

This thread sort of exploded while I was taking my daily walk...
Bottom line, there's plenty of good devices out there. Some are great devices. They all have different goals that they're trying to accomplish. The Galaxy S6 and the iPhone 6 both try to conquer the high-end, being the best possible devices out there in every single way. Phones like the Moto E and the Nokia Lumia 540 try to give you ultimate value for a small amount of money. Phones like the Moto G and Lumia 640 try to give you the same thing, but they also give you a little more of everything.
There's the phone that's targeted at the business men (like the Note series in the past...I say in the past because the Note 5 just gets rid of all of it and is a consumer-focused phone).
There's the phone that is for the people who want only the best.
The phone that gives you the perfect compromise of performance, features, and price.
The phone that is for the people on a severe budget.
The phone for the photographer.
The phone that tries to hit its mark...but misses.
The phone that's nearly good enough but there's better alternatives.
The phone that isn't for anyone.

There's so many phones and so many target audiences for all these phones, it's nearly impossible to compare them all. Sure, comparing the LG G4 and the OnePlus 2 seems like an easy thing, since they have similar specs. But then you take into account the price of the two phones and their availability... And suddenly you're not so sure.
You can compare the iPhone and Galaxy S6, but even though they're in the same "class" they're entirely different phones in everything except possibly design and price.

Is the Microsoft Lumia 640 a superior phone to the Moto G? It may very well be, if you take the price into account. But at the same time maybe you're paying for a waterproof design...a higher megapixel camera...the Google Play Store...pure Android...and guaranteed fast updates...and a unique design...Moto Maker... That doesn't mean any of these things are better. A waterproof design would be great, but it's obviously not necessary by the fact that my phone isn't waterproof. The Lumia 640 proves that it can do a lot with only eight megapixels. Maybe I don't need all the apps the Google Play Store offers. I happen to like Windows Phone more than Android. Fast updates would be nice but doesn't Windows 10 Mobile promise the same thing for us? The Lumia 640 has a great design, even if it doesn't have as much...variation as the Moto G.
In the end, reviews mean nothing. Comparisons mean nothing.
Review scores are completely bull crap. What matters to the reviewer may not matter to us. They may mark down a phone for having a poor camera but if we never use the camera then...where's the issue? The may mark a phone up because it has a waterproof design but if we've never cared about it before then...why does it matter?
It's all about what's best for you.

Not sure if you were even referencing me or my opinion post, so I'll just say... I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Really?

"I would rather stick with a dying OS..."

You think it's dying why?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Mr. V

Just my feelings based on the current situation Microsoft has put the Windows Phone line in. They've made it pretty clear now that Windows 10 mobile is the final push for phones. If this doesn't work out, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get out of mobile completely. But that day isn't here yet and I have a pretty good feeling about Windows 10

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I always fall for the same old trick with android. Every new phone is being advertised as having a great battery life, but the real world use is nowhere near what the specs say. And there goes, get an android every year just to find out over and over again that the phone loses its power up to 50% while idling over the period of 8 hours. Every other OS weather iOS, Windows or BB have somehow figured it out but not Google. I don't know, I think I am done with it. My 640 and my Q10 work great.
The Blu android phones don't do that. I have a Blu Vivo Air. It loses about 4% per day in idle (with a sim in it), while getting all notifications.

There's something messed up in Android for idle time, but that random little Florida company Blu has fixed it.

Kind of interesting. Google should buy that company just for the fix to standby battery consumption.

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The only issue is that although the Lumia 640 scored well with reviews (for a Windows Phone) we all know that the new Moto G will instantly get 9/10's and 10/10's from every side. I believe without a doubt the Lumia 640 is the better deal but...Windows Phone. Critics hate it for some reason. Not all of them, quite a few actually like it. But none of them actually...ya know...use a Windows Phone.
The 640 is half the price of the moto g. Heck, less than half the price for AT&T versions at Walmart.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
In fairness, the 640 model that's *that* cheap is a locked one. Easily unlockable, yes, but the unlocked, non-carrier garbage'd versions that won't be greatly hamstrung when it comes to updates cost about as much as the new, and unlocked, Moto G.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, actually, it is. The retail price of a Lumia 640 is approximately...what, 40 pounds cheaper than the bottom model of the G 3? I believe that's what it is.

Not sure about pricing globally. Didn't mean to be US-centric, but comparing the 1gb/8gb unlocked 640/G 2015 models available, they're comparable. $179 for the G, ~$175 for the 640 via Expansys.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
As a daily Android user, I understand the battery concerns.

I also understand that this is said about every major Android software update, but I truly beileve that M will finally fix a lot of the battery issues with Android. And the Moto G, being a Moto phone with no heavy skin or whatever, will get M pretty quickly. I'm personally very excited for it. I went from a OnePlus One to the new Moto G and I'm very much enjoying it, personally. Android M will also change how Android handles SD cards, becoming exactly like it's handled by Windows Phone now.

And yes, I own a Lumia 640, too.

Welcome to the Soon Club....

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Not sure about pricing globally. Didn't mean to be US-centric, but comparing the 1gb/8gb unlocked 640/G 2015 models available, they're comparable. $179 for the G, ~$175 for the 640 via Expansys.

Of course the price different won't be the same all over the word but from what I've seen the Lumia 640 is still cheaper than the Moto G (2014) by about $10 and cheaper than the Moto G (2015) by about $40.
Even $10 can make a big difference at that end of the market.

Last edited:

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Is the 640 REALLY cheaper?

Microsoft Lumia 640 Smartphone RM-1072 (Unlocked LTE, 8GB, Black) #A00024420 - Expansys USA

If we're comparing prices, then it's only fair to compare comparable models of phones.

I figured this thread would end up going in the direction. My original post was based solely on my own experience as a normal consumer going to WalMart and Best Buy. This situation won't translate to anyone who isn't also a normal consumer in America. I wasn't looking at it from a fairness standpoint. I wasn't looking at it from a reviewer standpoint. I was looking at it from my wallet. And my wallet says I paid $85 for the Lumia 640 and$197 for the Moto G. Not everyone will agree with me and I don't think it would be a great conversation if they did, but the price argument will never settle anything simply because no one market prices these phones at the same rate.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I figured this thread would end up going in the direction. My original post was based solely on my own experience as a normal consumer going to WalMart and Best Buy. This situation won't translate to anyone who isn't also a normal consumer in America. I wasn't looking at it from a fairness standpoint. I wasn't looking at it from a reviewer standpoint. I was looking at it from my wallet. And my wallet says I paid $85 for the Lumia 640 and$197 for the Moto G. Not everyone will agree with me and I don't think it would be a great conversation if they did, but the price argument will never settle anything simply because no one market prices these phones at the same rate.

Oh, I agree entirely. Like I said, I own both. I just think *if* the conversation of phone vs. phone, at large, comes up, then comparable variants should be compared.

Everyone like what you want to like. Like it, live it, I say.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Well that didn't last long. Came home from work and found my 640 on the floor next to the nightstand.

Goodbye, screen. Goodbye, old friend.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb