08-12-2015 11:14 AM
78 1234
tools
    We have a resident in-house expert that does that. He is our esteemed Moderator Team Leader Mr. Muessig. Cheers!
    I like it a lot. Your in-house expert did a very good job. Make sure and give him my admiration.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    08-06-2015 11:11 PM
    3. The camera is advertised as "The same sensor that in the Nexus 6"
    Sorry, but I blame YOU here, mate. Everyone under the sun knows that Motorola cameras s*ck. They've been cr*p for 3 generations now. The Nexus 6 included. Motorola always over-promise and under-deliver when it comes to camera. Don't let yourself be fooled.

ran off to Android, but if this is the norm for Android
    It's not. That's a fault of Motorola and the retailer. They created two phones, the retailer wasn't informed/didn't bother to make it clear the specifications.
    And honestly, if I had the luck of being in a country served by Moto Maker and wanted to buy a Motorola, I would have gotten it from Motorola. On Moto Maker you can choose pretty much everything on the phone. Storage size, colours, accents, backs etc.

But that "fragmentation" doesn't really exist on Android overall. You have a ton of models, but seldom do you get two versions of the same phone. The only other phone that I know of that had a similar problem was Sony's Xperia M4 Aqua, but Sony didn't make the two versions available in the same country.

Every new phone is being advertised as having a great battery life
    The only Android OEM that actually fulfils the promise of long battery life is Sony. I can tell you from personal experience that I simply can't kill the battery on my Z3C on a normal day of average to heavy use. That said, of course, the more you ask the phone to do, the more battery it consumes. If WP did half of what Android can do, you'd see battery draining a lot faster too (and for example the battery life on the 930 is appalling).
    08-07-2015 12:04 AM
    The new version of the Moto G (3rd gen) actually addressed the camera issue, and it's supposed to be really good now (finally!).

I actually considered the Moto G for myself as well a while back but then went full retard with a Lumia 635 and later 830. Long story short: huge mistake, went crawling back to iOS after two Lumias and six months for various reasons. Quite possible that the story would've ended exactly the same would I have chosen the Moto G instead, who knows. If it wasn't so friggin' huge (the Lumia 830 has taught me, among other things, that a 5" phone is waaaaaaaaay too large for me, and even 4.5" is uncomfortably large already) I might've taken a closer look again.
    08-07-2015 03:12 AM
    Was an Android user since clair and left during Ice Cream Sandwich and the beginning of Jelly Bean for Windows Phone. I first tried WP during WP7 days and became a full convert during WP8.1. I liked Android while I was using it but never truly loved it the way I love Windows phone so I'm never going to leave.
    aximtreo likes this.
    08-07-2015 03:22 AM
    I've been in a similar boat for a while back n forth between Android and WP, now settled for a while hopefully:) on a Lumia 640 and a Nexus 7 2013 tablet, just so much prefer the WP, i think its the live tiles and pin anything to the home screen that does it for me...Ive been all around the houses with so many devices, Iphone 6, 6 plus, S5, HTC one m7, m8, Note 3, Xperia Z3, Z2...Nokia 930...now have the amazing L640, love it.
    08-07-2015 05:36 AM
    I know that crappy thing "Lagdroid". I used some of lumia's but not any android phone and i bet, Microsoft is better than ever not only for specs but for look, feel, design. And Welcome back.
    08-07-2015 06:49 AM
    This post actually makes me not regret my decision of getting a Lumia 640XL instead of the Moto G 3rd Gen, 16GB variant.
    Thanks, man! I had been wondering ever since I ordered my phone, whether I made the right decision, going for the former, instead of the latter.
    Furt likes this.
    08-07-2015 07:56 AM
    This post actually makes me not regret my decision of getting a Lumia 640XL instead of the Moto G 3rd Gen, 16GB variant.
    Thanks, man! I had been wondering ever since I ordered my phone, whether I made the right decision, going for the former, instead of the latter.
    You 100% made the right choice.
    Satyendra Nair likes this.
    08-07-2015 08:32 AM
    I did the same thing with the Droid Turbo! I was frustrated with the long delay of a new Flagship Windows phone and put my Lumia Icon aside and tried the DT for a couple of months. Loved the screen size and quality but in the end it was Android and not Windows Mobile. So off it went on ebay ( I had bought it outright on Verizon) and reactivated my Lumia Icon. I even bought a second Icon to load Win10 on to see how it's coming along. I'm hoping the next Preview build will finally be the one I can use on my Primary phone! It's very close now, but Cortana doesn't read texts, etc. over Bluetooth yet and that's important for me so I'm still on Win 8.1!
    youzer likes this.
    08-07-2015 01:40 PM
    No OS handles it better than or even close to Symbian. It was perfect. I think they should learn from Nokia.
    rakeshrai likes this.
    08-07-2015 01:55 PM
    I had pretty much the same experience a few weeks back when I picked up the new Galaxy S6 Edge.
    Went back to my Nokia Icon after a week.
    08-07-2015 02:17 PM
    The beauty of the Lumia 640...you can buy seven of them and still not have bought an iPhone, haha.
    Average price of a 640 = 100 quid. 100 x 7 = 700 quid.

700 quid = enough to buy 64 GB iPhone 6
    08-07-2015 02:50 PM
    Average price of a 640 = 100 quid. 100 x 7 = 700 quid.

700 quid = enough to buy 64 GB iPhone 6
    You, my friend, take numbers far too literally. You know I nearly said you could buy forty Lumia 640's for the price of a single iPhone? I thought that was taking the over exaggeration a tad too far so I dialed it down a bit.
    Schnuffi and libra89 like this.
    08-07-2015 03:18 PM
    You, my friend, take numbers far too literally. You know I nearly said you could buy forty Lumia 640's for the price of a single iPhone? I thought that was taking the over exaggeration a tad too far so I dialed it down a bit.
    I was just messing with you :)
    08-07-2015 05:43 PM
    I was just messing with you :)
    I figured you were but you never know on the internet.
    08-07-2015 07:27 PM
    Interesting read....I'm on a Lumia 928 on Verizon and was looking at the Moto G to jump ship. (The lack of apps is slowly killing me and leaving me left out from work-related Google services only..) But I'm torn when I read more and more about the other ship, etc.

I am due for an upgrade and have been for the last 2 months. Should I wait for these Windows 10 flagships? My worry is that the app gap will still always be there, despite killer Windows Phone performance and upcoming rumored specs and sadly a lack of apps.. That's huge... So huge it made me tempted to jump to the Moto G/Android for the first time in my life.
    08-07-2015 11:40 PM
    Interesting read....I'm on a Lumia 928 on Verizon and was looking at the Moto G to jump ship. (The lack of apps is slowly killing me and leaving me left out from work-related Google services only..) But I'm torn when I read more and more about the other ship, etc.

I am due for an upgrade and have been for the last 2 months. Should I wait for these Windows 10 flagships? My worry is that the app gap will still always be there, despite killer Windows Phone performance and upcoming rumored specs and sadly a lack of apps.. That's huge... So huge it made me tempted to jump to the Moto G/Android for the first time in my life.
    Are you staying with Verizon? If so, the new Moto G won't work for you. A Verizon version has not been released, and probably won't be. There might eventually be a Motorola Droid for Verizon based on the Moto G though.

On the flip side, we do not at this point know when, or if, Verizon will get one of the rumored W10M flagships. If you decide to wait for that, you may be waiting in vain.

As far as what you read about the Moto G, keep in mind that most of what you find will be biased one way or another. Since Windows Central is a Microsoft fan site, the opinions are not going to be objective. The same would apply to iMore or CrackBerry. However, go to Android Central, and the opposite opinions will be evident, but they will not be very objective either. Other sites outside of Mobile Nations may not be as biased as fan sites.

My advice would be to try what you want, and decide for yourself. Your question(s) about Android will be answered one way or another. Verizon is supposedly making some positive changes to their plans on August 13 (next Thursday), so I'd at least wait until then, unless of course you wish to sign another 2 year contract. If so, you need to make a move before then.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    08-08-2015 01:00 AM
    My worry is that the app gap will still always be there, despite killer Windows Phone performance and upcoming rumored specs and sadly a lack of apps.. That's huge... So huge it made me tempted to jump to the Moto G/Android for the first time in my life.
    If you're affected by the app gap then I wouldn't hesitate to jump ship. Some people don't mind it because they're not affected by it (aka: all the apps they need and use right now as we speak are available and either fully featured or don't miss any features these users in particular need, which doesn't mean this won't change in the near or distant future). If Windows Phone doesn't offer you the app experience you need or want, however, then why stay? I highly doubt the app gap will ever disappear completely but even if it will it'll take years.

Neither Windows 10 nor universal apps nor app conversion tools will have any significant effect. The only thing that will draw in developers in is market share, and I honestly don't see Windows Phone taking off anytime soon.
    aximtreo likes this.
    08-08-2015 08:26 AM
    As someone who has devices in both camps, I can say that the Moto G is really an excellent value. It's performance (on the 2gb ram/16gb storage model I have) is absolutely excellent. Battery life is good and I find the camera to be good, but the 928 will absolutely be superior in low light. Not even close. Daylight? Likely the Moto G based on the shots I have now and from those I took when I had a 920.

If there are apps you know you want, pick one up and give it a try. No harm, no foul. If you don't like it, you can always return back to WP.

But, as mentioned, the new G will not work on Verizon. You'd need to switch to a GSM carrier for the model currently available. A carrier-specific model for Verizon may be released at some point in the future, but that's a total unknown at this point.
    08-08-2015 11:49 AM
    The Moto G supports all bands, those including Verizon's?

How can I not use it on Verizon?? or am I getting the new Moto X devices mixed up?
    08-08-2015 01:28 PM
    The Moto G supports all bands, those including Verizon's?

How can I not use it on Verizon?? or am I getting the new Moto X devices mixed up?
    The Moto X Pure Edition (aka the Moto X Style) will work on all US carriers.

The Moto G will only work on GSM carriers with the model that's currently available.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-08-2015 02:11 PM
    I bought a cheap Att go phone by HTC that worked great but had the same issues with memory. Then I bought the galaxy alpha which was pretty much rendered useless by signal issues, which is a common problem with that phone. Overall, my top priority I need in a phone is consistency. So that leaves windows phone and iOS. My next priority is connectivity, meaning I want to be able to explore and investigate the new things my friends are talking about, and not waiting a seemingly long time for it to become available. So that leaves iOS,which ironically has everyone's services (Google and Microsoft). So the choice was obvious to me
    08-08-2015 03:52 PM
    You, my friend, have made two major mistakes. First, you bought a cheap low-end phone that worked great but had too little onboard memory, and second you tried fixing that by buying a Samsung phone. If you want to go Android be my guest, it's a great ecosystem with a plethora of awesome devices and then there's also Samsung. You never go Samsung, they cr*p on their phones by installing their ugly, slow and memory & cpu intensive touch wiz flavor of Android as well as a ****load of bloatware. Motorola is actually a pretty save bet when it comes to Android, as well as the Nexus phones (pure Android with no bloatware installed) and, to a certain extent, LG. If I never turned my back on iOS again it would most certainly be one of these.
    08-09-2015 05:35 AM
    I dont want to hunt down the real one. I got the one offered to me in person as I do with every phone I buy.
    I hope you never in your entire life have to deal with the "hassle" of buying a PC then.... let alone a Mac.
    08-09-2015 08:31 AM
    I hope you never in your entire life have to deal with the "hassle" of buying a PC then.... let alone a Mac.
    I have a great PC I got from frys electronics about 4 years ago. I very recently went back there and got a gtx 960 for it. I don't know what "hassle" you're talking about.
    08-09-2015 04:40 PM
78 1234