I left for the Moto G 2015. I came back.

youzer

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I had pretty much the same experience a few weeks back when I picked up the new Galaxy S6 Edge.
Went back to my Nokia Icon after a week.

Mristian

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Interesting read....I'm on a Lumia 928 on Verizon and was looking at the Moto G to jump ship. (The lack of apps is slowly killing me and leaving me left out from work-related Google services only..) But I'm torn when I read more and more about the other ship, etc.

I am due for an upgrade and have been for the last 2 months. Should I wait for these Windows 10 flagships? My worry is that the app gap will still always be there, despite killer Windows Phone performance and upcoming rumored specs and sadly a lack of apps.. That's huge... So huge it made me tempted to jump to the Moto G/Android for the first time in my life.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting read....I'm on a Lumia 928 on Verizon and was looking at the Moto G to jump ship. (The lack of apps is slowly killing me and leaving me left out from work-related Google services only..) But I'm torn when I read more and more about the other ship, etc.

I am due for an upgrade and have been for the last 2 months. Should I wait for these Windows 10 flagships? My worry is that the app gap will still always be there, despite killer Windows Phone performance and upcoming rumored specs and sadly a lack of apps.. That's huge... So huge it made me tempted to jump to the Moto G/Android for the first time in my life.

Are you staying with Verizon? If so, the new Moto G won't work for you. A Verizon version has not been released, and probably won't be. There might eventually be a Motorola Droid for Verizon based on the Moto G though.

On the flip side, we do not at this point know when, or if, Verizon will get one of the rumored W10M flagships. If you decide to wait for that, you may be waiting in vain.

As far as what you read about the Moto G, keep in mind that most of what you find will be biased one way or another. Since Windows Central is a Microsoft fan site, the opinions are not going to be objective. The same would apply to iMore or CrackBerry. However, go to Android Central, and the opposite opinions will be evident, but they will not be very objective either. Other sites outside of Mobile Nations may not be as biased as fan sites.

My advice would be to try what you want, and decide for yourself. Your question(s) about Android will be answered one way or another. Verizon is supposedly making some positive changes to their plans on August 13 (next Thursday), so I'd at least wait until then, unless of course you wish to sign another 2 year contract. If so, you need to make a move before then.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My worry is that the app gap will still always be there, despite killer Windows Phone performance and upcoming rumored specs and sadly a lack of apps.. That's huge... So huge it made me tempted to jump to the Moto G/Android for the first time in my life.

If you're affected by the app gap then I wouldn't hesitate to jump ship. Some people don't mind it because they're not affected by it (aka: all the apps they need and use right now as we speak are available and either fully featured or don't miss any features these users in particular need, which doesn't mean this won't change in the near or distant future). If Windows Phone doesn't offer you the app experience you need or want, however, then why stay? I highly doubt the app gap will ever disappear completely but even if it will it'll take years.

Neither Windows 10 nor universal apps nor app conversion tools will have any significant effect. The only thing that will draw in developers in is market share, and I honestly don't see Windows Phone taking off anytime soon.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
As someone who has devices in both camps, I can say that the Moto G is really an excellent value. It's performance (on the 2gb ram/16gb storage model I have) is absolutely excellent. Battery life is good and I find the camera to be good, but the 928 will absolutely be superior in low light. Not even close. Daylight? Likely the Moto G based on the shots I have now and from those I took when I had a 920.

If there are apps you know you want, pick one up and give it a try. No harm, no foul. If you don't like it, you can always return back to WP.

But, as mentioned, the new G will not work on Verizon. You'd need to switch to a GSM carrier for the model currently available. A carrier-specific model for Verizon may be released at some point in the future, but that's a total unknown at this point.

Mristian

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The Moto G supports all bands, those including Verizon's?

How can I not use it on Verizon?? or am I getting the new Moto X devices mixed up?

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The Moto G supports all bands, those including Verizon's?

How can I not use it on Verizon?? or am I getting the new Moto X devices mixed up?

The Moto X Pure Edition (aka the Moto X Style) will work on all US carriers.

The Moto G will only work on GSM carriers with the model that's currently available.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought a cheap Att go phone by HTC that worked great but had the same issues with memory. Then I bought the galaxy alpha which was pretty much rendered useless by signal issues, which is a common problem with that phone. Overall, my top priority I need in a phone is consistency. So that leaves windows phone and iOS. My next priority is connectivity, meaning I want to be able to explore and investigate the new things my friends are talking about, and not waiting a seemingly long time for it to become available. So that leaves iOS,which ironically has everyone's services (Google and Microsoft). So the choice was obvious to me

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
You, my friend, have made two major mistakes. First, you bought a cheap low-end phone that worked great but had too little onboard memory, and second you tried fixing that by buying a Samsung phone. If you want to go Android be my guest, it's a great ecosystem with a plethora of awesome devices and then there's also Samsung. You never go Samsung, they cr*p on their phones by installing their ugly, slow and memory & cpu intensive touch wiz flavor of Android as well as a ****load of bloatware. Motorola is actually a pretty save bet when it comes to Android, as well as the Nexus phones (pure Android with no bloatware installed) and, to a certain extent, LG. If I never turned my back on iOS again it would most certainly be one of these.

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I hope you never in your entire life have to deal with the "hassle" of buying a PC then.... let alone a Mac.

I have a great PC I got from frys electronics about 4 years ago. I very recently went back there and got a gtx 960 for it. I don't know what "hassle" you're talking about.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Moto G from Best Buy, and I like it a lot.
I'm actually returning it, not because I didn't like it, but to buy the Moto Maker version online, with the 16gb of storage and 2gb of RAM and a colored back plate.

Let me just say, that even on the 1gb RAM retail unit, this isn't the Android of three or even two years ago. You'd never have guessed that the device UI is so smooth and quick on a mid range mobile CPU. The OS is basically stock Android Lollipop and it's a beautiful smart phone OS. The camera is admittedly ****ty, but you know, trade offs and all that.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I tend to switch back and forth with inexpensive phones. Just bought Moto E's for the grandkids at $75 each, really nice for the money. The moto G is probably my next buy. Nice phone.

Last edited:

Kadu de Sousa

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Man, everybody talks about "apps". I bought a Moto G (1st gen) and the things I miss most from my Lumia 820 is Nextgen Reader and Readit. I wouldn't change these for any other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre