the side curves
    the squared edges
    textured back
    colorful screen
    physical keyboard a great plus
    looks so elegant in that color
    10-01-2015 02:03 PM
    Who is this retort directed at?
    Just a generalized counter-rant, inspired by posts here and in other threads which elevate personal preference to unassailable principle. 'I don't like PKB's. I'm faster on a touchscreen. Therefore, PKB's are stupid and must fail Therefore, BB and Chen are stupid and must fail' It certainly is fair (if somewhat obvious) to note that the current market for PKB's is small and to question BB's strategy. It is interesting to discuss the wisdom of trying to enter the Android market through a distinctive device, in contrast to BB "going over" with another Candy Bar device. If I was going to buy an Android Candy Bar, I would tend toward proven manufactures and device lines, rather than chance a first foray. OTOH, there have been Android PKB devices before that haven't made a dent. None that compared to the Priv, though.
    10-01-2015 03:41 PM
    It is interesting to discuss the wisdom of trying to enter the Android market through a distinctive device, in contrast to BB "going over" with another Candy Bar device.
    The fact that this Android device is BlackBerry is a differentiator. There are a number of BB fans who still hurt from their "fall." That name alone, with a now vibrant ecosystem, might sell them.
    10-01-2015 03:57 PM
    If I was going to buy an Android Candy Bar, I would tend toward proven manufactures and device lines, rather than chance a first foray.
    A first foray would be one of the many Chinese brands popping up everyday. BlackBerry has been building smartphones as long as anybody with undisputed quality. Every OEM has their Edsel including BB (Storm) but that's the exception, not the rule. This is not an average Android. This is a secure Android and if it lives up to its billing, will be a watershed moment for Android.
    10-01-2015 08:43 PM
    I still lust for the BlackBerry Bold 9900.
    Bold 9900 is one of my all time favourites which includes Moto Razr V3, Apple iPhone 4, etc
    10-01-2015 11:23 PM
    since BB Is willing to run Android on it why not WM10, the irony with them going with Android is a Secure device running an unsecure OS. to me it make sense to run Windows not only because its more secure then Android but also a productivity device.
    10-03-2015 08:51 AM
    Have a look at this very old Dell windows phone, It was a big failure

Attachment 113240
    The dell phone didn't sell well wasn't down to the design but due to other silliness attributed to WP7 i.e sticking in a msd card would be become a part of the o.s. Basically flipping the secure bit on the msd card thus it wouldn't be readable on anything else other than readers able to read "secured" cards like the E71 for instance. https://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpres...hone-7-device/.

Needless to say this caused a lot of confusion, I could go further about the other niggles however I don't want to re-open that ravine full of warms lol. What's done is done and no amount of typing/talking about it will change that.

However We do need more differentiating devices with slider keyboards be it portrait or landscape. I so want one of these running WP10...

htc-touch-pro-2-1.jpgnokia-e7-00-7.jpg
    fatclue_98, JRF_1986 and aXross like this.
    10-03-2015 12:30 PM
    The dell phone didn't sell well wasn't down to the design but due to other silliness attributed to WP7 i.e sticking in a msd card would be become a part of the o.s. Basically flipping the secure bit on the msd card thus it wouldn't be readable on anything else other than readers able to read "secured" cards like the E71 for instance. https://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpres...hone-7-device/.

Needless to say this caused a lot of confusion, I could go further about the other niggles however I don't want to re-open that ravine full of warms lol. What's done is done and no amount of typing/talking about it will change that.

However We do need more differentiating devices with slider keyboards be it portrait or landscape. I so want one of these running WP10...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTC-Touch-Pro-2-1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	113400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nokia-E7-00-7.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	113401

The TP2 and the E7. Excellent phones indeed.
    TechFreak1 and aXross like this.
    10-03-2015 04:18 PM
    The Blackberry Priv reminds me of my beloved Dell Venue Pro wp7. I still have it but it over heats when it's powered up so there is no using it for more than a few minutes. I'd love to see wp10 on a Blackberry Priv with a built in S-pen and Note 5/ Surface pro writing abilities. That is dream device.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-08-2015 05:40 PM
    I agree. I am a die hard physical keyboard fan. Been on Windows phone since early 2011 but I still use my Nokia E73 2-3 days a week so that I could enjoy typing work emails on that sweet keyboard. Give me a phone like the Priv running Windows 10 and I'll buy it the day it's released.
    10-08-2015 05:57 PM
    Microsoft should of bought RIM!
    I said this LONG AGO. The morph of windows and bb would be awesome! and align Microsoft with the business side of things even more.
    10-13-2015 04:25 AM
    It's an attractive phone, but like everyone else, ditch the slider and trust a touchscreen keyboard. It's 2015. How top-heavy would that be to try and hold it by the keyboard and type out a big email?
    Actually, almost every hands-on account of this device in every stage of development has remarked how well-balanced and evenly weighted the Priv is. People are routinely impressed with not only how thin and light it is, but how ergonomically sound it is.

In fact, about a year ago, BlackBerry was awarded a patent for an innovative slider mechanism that recessed the keyboard when closed, allowing the design of thinner slider devices.

I applaud BlackBerry for continuing to innovate in the mobile space despite their very defensive position in public perception.
    Last edited by vjfratiani; 10-13-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling error, additional insights
    aXross, jmshub and fatclue_98 like this.
    10-13-2015 11:12 PM
    A BlackBerry-Microsoft partnership is LONG overdue.

These are the two companies in the mobile space that specialize in productivity and both have credibility in the enterprise space, yet struggle with market share.

I understand why BlackBerry has turned to Android, with a plan to build an only lightly modified edition of the operating system on top of their custom designed enhanced-security kernel. Simply put, they need to build market share in the consumer space to repair public perception.

However, this device running Windows 10 Mobile would be an ultimate productivity device. Imagine if Windows 10 Mobile had a few elements of BlackBerry 10 like the Hub (swipe right to get a unified inbox on steroids). It's a natural fit on Windows 10 Mobile to have a lock screen that not only has glance, but to have actionable notifications with a preview view like BlackBerry's lock screen.

If these two companies married their best features, they would create the ultimate productivity device. BlackBerry 10 is essentially an amalgamation of Android and Windows Phone design languages mated to a very intuitive gesture-based UI. I wish these two would put their heads together, but sadly, it's only a pipe dream for now.

I'm a Q10 owner dreaming of a Windows device that's right for me (like how I replaced my BlackBerry PlayBook with a Surface 3). The interim stopgap may be the Priv loaded with Microsoft's apps and services. Potentially the best of BlackBerry, Microsoft and the benefit of the Google Play app selection and services support.

It would be a pleasant surprise if certain rumors of BlackBerry testing the Priv running Windows, Android and BB10 all turned out to be true.
    Last edited by vjfratiani; 10-13-2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: additional opinions
    JRF_1986, aXross, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    10-13-2015 11:24 PM
    those who dont understand why some people stil want physical keyboard... try blind typing from your screen when responding to a text.

I was a pro with this when responding to a text message on my dell venue pro.
    I would read the text, and slide out the keyboard and start one hand typing without staring at the screen as I walk. And before this, I was already an avid Sidekick user. typing blindly and accurately is what it is. Even swyping isnt as accurate.
    colinkiama and libra89 like this.
    10-17-2015 01:34 AM
    The design is fantastic but I'm sceptical blackberry can do anything to the os, securing it as well as bb10 - though time will tell. But yes, I'm rather surprised at the design, it's fresh, innovative and, I think, attractive. Of course, the os has its issues, just like WP, but that's a whole other issue.

It's running android. Real android.
    10-17-2015 02:51 AM
    those who dont understand why some people stil want physical keyboard... try blind typing from your screen when responding to a text.

I was a pro with this when responding to a text message on my dell venue pro.
    I would read the text, and slide out the keyboard and start one hand typing without staring at the screen as I walk. And before this, I was already an avid Sidekick user. typing blindly and accurately is what it is. Even swyping isnt as accurate.

You have to admit though, swyping was awesome on 8.1 but now it's not that good on the windows 10 mobile builds
    10-17-2015 02:52 AM
    You have to admit though, swyping was awesome on 8.1 but now it's not that good on the windows 10 mobile builds
    Wait...really? That sounds a bad news and I use swipe typing. W10M should've push feedback about this. It was great and praised.
    10-17-2015 08:28 AM
    I wonder how many people don't realize this keyboard has some "swype" like feature and can also be used as a trackpad.

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520
    10-17-2015 09:33 AM
    Pulled the trigger and picked up one to see if I will like this or return and torment myself waiting for the 950XL.

I don't regret.

The one phone to make me come back to Windows has been alluding. Guess I wait till next run of rumors and waits for Window Phone.

At least BB have a release date and delivered. And this phone is awesome.

11-06-2015 10:49 PM
    Pulled the trigger and picked up one to see if I will like this or return and torment myself waiting for the 950XL.

I don't regret.

The one phone to make me come back to Windows has been alluding. Guess I wait till next run of rumors and waits for Window Phone.

At least BB have a release date and delivered. And this phone is awesome.

Well don't just sit there, tell us all about it!
    libra89, tgp and TechFreak1 like this.
    11-06-2015 11:01 PM
    There are release dates in other places in the world for the 950 and xl. Just not in America since AT&T are screwing you around. I will just buy one internationally and enjoy it. The priv is an awesome piece of hardware as well. I have been eyeballing it quite a lot lately.
    11-07-2015 05:53 AM
    There are release dates in other places in the world for the 950 and xl. Just not in America since AT&T are screwing you around. I will just buy one internationally and enjoy it. The priv is an awesome piece of hardware as well. I have been eyeballing it quite a lot lately.
    True and I really was going back and forth and know I probably could have waited but I fell in love with it. The prediction keyboard is awesome and different from the normal swipe action.

The slide out keyboard acts as a cursor for scrolling. I mean there is a lot of thought that went into the product.

I was reluctant to purchase cause I really wanted the the 950xl but the build quality and ingenuity put in this phone is pretty nice.

11-07-2015 10:42 AM
    I am probably going to own both. I think I am going to have a complete google setup and windows setup...so I can have most of everything techy.
    11-07-2015 02:24 PM
    I was at the AT&T store today to take a peek. I was surprised at how thin and light it was. As a BlackBerry fan, I was expecting more heft but it's much lighter than my Classic and only a little larger as for its footprint. Maybe it's me but I didn't feel the typical BB solid build. It was definitely quick to load apps, switch between home pages, etc. I don't know where the reviewers saw the lag.

Nice, for an Android. A second or third look will be required before I consider it.
    11-07-2015 03:16 PM
    I was at the AT&T store today to take a peek. I was surprised at how thin and light it was. As a BlackBerry fan, I was expecting more heft but it's much lighter than my Classic and only a little larger as for its footprint. Maybe it's me but I didn't feel the typical BB solid build. It was definitely quick to load apps, switch between home pages, etc. I don't know where the reviewers saw the lag.

Nice, for an Android. A second or third look will be required before I consider it.
    I bet alot of "reviewers" had the article 90% written before they even held the device. ;). I was kind of surprised how well Android Central praised the device. So many positive Priv articles over there this past week.

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520
    11-08-2015 10:37 AM
104 12345