BlackBerry Priv has the design I was looking for on WM10

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well the cards are out and the verdict is lukewarm. And I am taking about the new 950 & 950XL designs. I though I was alone on this but after reading many comments over the web, I realized I was not. Look the new picture by @everleaks show the actual phone and I will say; it does not look that bad. But I like many other would have chosen another design if we could.

Now, I've been looking into this new BlackBerry Priv and let me tell you this phone it's a beauty. That's the design many of us wanted. Now this represent a big opportunity and challenge to BlackBerry software wise. But they have the best of both world with this phone. I am not leaving WM10 anytime soon, but this is a phone to consider after its release and if everything hold up right.

blackberry-venice-conexion-usb.jpg
BlackBerry-Priv-Android-Slider-Phone.jpg

What do you think?
Do you like the Priv design?
Would you rather have this design than the same old lumia design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0YmbrHh6cY

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The design is fantastic but I'm sceptical blackberry can do anything to the os, securing it as well as bb10 - though time will tell. But yes, I'm rather surprised at the design, it's fresh, innovative and, I think, attractive. Of course, the os has its issues, just like WP, but that's a whole other issue.

DrPuppy

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I still don't understand the appeal of a physical keyboard.
Maybe back when on-screen keyboards weren't as responsive, but Word Flow / Swype are definitely good.
Physical keyboards add more weight, more physical parts (more susceptible to breaking), a thicker design, and a higher cost.
I don't think that this phone is innovative in the least. What does it do that hasn't been done before?
How do you put a protective case on it?
The keyboard/touch UI is reminiscent of the Windows 8 touch/keyboard experience; and while I found the latter entirely usable, it wasn't a great experience. The keyboard and touchpad in addition to the touchscreen UI make the whole thing just redundant.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
RIM is giving you the option here. Yes physical keyboard has lost its appeal but there are still many that wanted the option. And now the have it. BlackBerry, physical keyboard and running Android. Let's wait and see.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is the phone that will make or break BlackBerry. They've partnered up with Samsung to shore up the security issues with Knox and obviously Samsung has reciprocated with the "Edge" curved displays. If BB has truly found a way to secure Android, and that's a huge if, they may have a real winner on their hands and a viable threat to Windows Phone's Enterprise customers.

They've kept the handset thin and fairly light. Lumia 920 owners: not a peep out of you. Having owned the Passport I can tell you that the "mouse" function on the keyboard is a real treat so even in landscape mode you can use the keyboard to your advantage (Guytronic, that was for you). I'm sure this device will not be cheap so I won't be running out to get one.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was really hoping to see a heavily-skinned Android with bits of Blackberry 10's excellent gesture-based UX in it, (the only time such modding would be acceptable to me) but it seems little more than just another stock Android phone a la Motorola. I guess BB Hub was too much to ask for.
It's too big for me, but if I had to pick an Android, that would probably be it. A gorgeous piece of hardware, for sure. I hope they have the financial runway space to take off where HPalm just taxied into the forest at the end.

I am a relatively small fan, but a fan nonetheless of hardware keyboards, ESPECIALLY the portrait slider format, being an ex-rabid Palm Pre fan. (and to a lesser extent a fan of the designs of the BB Torch and Dell Venue Pro) They're fun to use too.

...I hope it has a mirror on the back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)