BlackBerry Priv has the design I was looking for on WM10

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
That device is quite stunning. Its got the professional, business feel to it, something reminds me of Thinkpads. It looks sharped but I love that curved glass that wraps the screen, which reminds me of Lumia flagships a lot (not the new 950 and 950 XL).

Now I wish someone in XDA could port W10M into it or better if Microsoft will partner with Blackberry and officially support W10M to be installed on Priv, just like what they did to Xiaomi. Best if they partner and just release Blackberry Priv with W10M on it, that would be epic.
Now if it even got Continuum would be great, but unfortunately even with W10M it might not. Not sure if there is a specific special hardware to support Continuum or just having latest Snapdragon and other SoC is enough.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at this very old Dell windows phone, It was a big failure

View attachment 113240
The reasons for failure had nothing to do with the keyboard. The LG Quantum was a very successful WP7 device and it had a PKB and the smallest display of any 1st gen device. The Dell Venue Pro failed because it had a garbage camera and Dell used a cheap Broadcom chip that didn't support Internet Sharing.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic on Tapatalk

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
It can slide but can you swype? ;)

The physical keyboard seems to work as the Passport's which can have predicted words "swiped" up. On the Z10 this works great, even with 2 languages set up. But I haven't tried it on the Passport (except for 5 min in the AT&T store). Also, being Android, I'm sure it will support swiping as do most Android phones I've used ;)

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
The Priv looks nice, at least I like it too. I've been in the market for a new device and the Priv, Moto X Pure and the 950XL are in my eyes currently. Can't wait to see them in person! I haven't tried W10M but I like what I've seen in the videos.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I really like the look, the screen size and the incorporation of the touch-sensitive slider keyboard. The drab appearance of the Android OS is a downer, however. I will likely get one, though my preference is that it run BB10 (that's a discussion for Crackberry). The idea of running W10M on the Priv is intriguing. It would stand out and might also provide, in the touch-sensitive keyboard, a means of being more precise and more consistent in selecting and cut and pasting text on the screen (which is something I've continued to struggle with on W10M on my 1520).

aravindrajen

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I have been using Android since February with all my favorite Microsoft apps on them. I never once turned to Google apps. I used the LG G3, Samsung S5 and now Xiaomi Mi 4i. I've just been dying to get back to Windows. The new Lumias are VERY generic and not at all inspiring. With that said, I think the 950 XL in silver looks really nice, even though its nothing too special. I do not like the 950 design on the back (that camera). The designs look really cheap especially in black. The Blackberry Priv blew my mind with surved screen, full qwerty keyboard slider and running Android instead of Blackberry OS. Right now, it could go either way. I'll have to see what Microsoft really has got up their sleeve when they finally announce those phones.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I like this blackberry and think this has a place in the market for those who like / are notstalgic for keyboards. But I have used so many different phones and NOTHING types faster than a swype keyboard (just watch me text one-handed on a subway while you struggle with your "slider" and fall over because you need two hands to type slower). Sorry, but for me the keyboard is a useless accessory, and detracts from an otherwise pretty phone.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's an attractive phone, but like everyone else, ditch the slider and trust a touchscreen keyboard. It's 2015. How top-heavy would that be to try and hold it by the keyboard and type out a big email?

UberschallSamsara

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I still don't understand the appeal of a physical keyboard.

Two words: Tactile. Feedback.

With a PKB your fingers can rest on the keys w/out entering any input until you want them to. Once you get used to a PKB you don't have to stare intently at it to enter text accurately - in fact that was the appeal to CrackBerry addicts - typing under the table while looking at what else is going on around you. And if you get bumped while inputting via touch screen - whoopsy daisy off goes your message before you finished editing it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's an attractive phone, but like everyone else, ditch the slider and trust a touchscreen keyboard. It's 2015. How top-heavy would that be to try and hold it by the keyboard and type out a big email?

not at all, having used a portrait slider before.

but cmon can't we get some variety? we already have too many candy bars as it is

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I'd kill for a blackberry classic running windows 10 mobile! Reminds me of my beloved Nokia E73. I might type faster with Swype but there are too many mistakes and I love the feel of the physical qwerty. I'm sure most of you will disagree but it's just my personal preference!

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, but if you loathe a physical keyboard and hate the look of the device, maybe it's not for you. Maybe you aren't the targeted audience for the Priv. So if you have achieved transcendent perfection on a touchscreen and have pushed beyond the boundaries of theoretical productivity on a touchscreen smartphone, you should stick with that rather than buying a Priv under belligerent protest and stubbornly refusing to ever deploy the slider keyboard. I think the Priv as is, is an interesting experiment that's already drawn some interest. That you or I as individuals might not like it doesn't matter much.

There is a certain anguish for longtime BB loyalists who are torn by equal parts attraction (in the form factor) and revulsion (in the alien OS). But even there, as someone who has recently bought a Classic and two Passports, it can't fairly be said that BB hasn't offered anything new or retro-novel for us diehards. Chen has gone out of his way to deny the Priv is an act of desperation and BB continues to hang in there. The segment remains extremely volatile, despite the current stasis at the dominant top tier. Things can change in unexpected ways. If you are instead a gloomy skeptic, I'd rather throw a Hail Mary than take a knee and run out the clock when trailing. Let's see if anyone's there to catch the pass before heading for the showers.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, but if you loathe a physical keyboard and hate the look of the device, maybe it's not for you. Maybe you aren't the targeted audience for the Priv. So if you have achieved transcendent perfection on a touchscreen and have pushed beyond the boundaries of theoretical productivity on a touchscreen smartphone, you should stick with that rather than buying a Priv under belligerent protest and stubbornly refusing to ever deploy the slider keyboard. I think the Priv as is, is an interesting experiment that's already drawn some interest. That you or I as individuals might not like it doesn't matter much.

There is a certain anguish for longtime BB loyalists who are torn by equal parts attraction (in the form factor) and revulsion (in the alien OS). But even there, as someone who has recently bought a Classic and two Passports, it can't fairly be said that BB hasn't offered anything new or retro-novel for us diehards. Chen has gone out of his way to deny the Priv is an act of desperation and BB continues to hang in there. The segment remains extremely volatile, despite the current stasis at the dominant top tier. Things can change in unexpected ways. If you are instead a gloomy skeptic, I'd rather throw a Hail Mary than take a knee and run out the clock when trailing. Let's see if anyone's there to catch the pass before heading for the showers.

Who is this retort directed at?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not for me. This reminds me of the Kyocera Echo pushed by Sprint a few years ago. I don't care for anything about this design and I prefer virtual keys to old school vintage push button desk phone buttons. I'd get the Amazon Fire phone before I'd get this one.

BryanVilla

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Y'all gripe about the physical keyboard but (a) the physical keyboard is touch sensitive, bold, and useful to many enterprise customers and (b) you can still use the touch screen keyboard... it's not magically gone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Y'all gripe about the physical keyboard but (a) the physical keyboard is touch sensitive, bold, and useful to many enterprise customers and (b) you can still use the touch screen keyboard... it's not magically gone.
Enterprise customers also can use company iphones though, but I guess I understand your point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa