BlackBerry Priv has the design I was looking for on WM10

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it looks great, but I don't want it. I hope there is a place in the market for niche devices like this. I really hope it does well to encourage OEMs to experiment more. I applaud BB for being willing to get creative and try new things and I really hope it pays off for them.

Kiddo2050

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Uou don't need protective cases with Blackberrys I've had many and even thrown them across the room in anger (not at the phone haha) and zero problem. They know hardware. They should have switched to android long ago.

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The Priv is a nice looking phone. If I were to go Android full-time, this would be the phone to do it as long as it was pure Android or at least, not skinned. Some are complaining that the keyboard adds weight and thickness... Geezus people, it is clear that this phone is thin. Weight? How weak are you? Does bringing a slice of pizza to your mouth exhaust you?

As for the Dell Venue Pro, that phone failed because it was hard to get. You could only get it from Dell's website and not many people knew about it. Dell themselves did little to advertise it and their customer service didn't even know they sold a phone!! I know because I called them several times; I used a DVP for almost 3 years.

hardly_here

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I loved my PalmPre with the PKB. Given the choice I would love to get a phone with PKB (I hate smudges). All that apart Lumia 950 and 950XL cant be it?! There has to be something better, something more. No? Are they throwing all their innovation into HaloLens and Surface, that they have nothing left for the Phones?! I will be disappointed if this was it for the Phones for this year.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have any of the PKB bashers here ever used a BlackBerry keyboard? I don't mean for a few minutes at a store, I mean used one to the point of knowing the shortcuts available. Has anybody here ever used the Passport's keyboard?

If you're going to bash, please have the courtesy to be informed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have any of the PKB bashers here ever used a BlackBerry keyboard? I don't mean for a few minutes at a store, I mean used one to the point of knowing the shortcuts available. Has anybody here ever used the Passport's keyboard?

If you're going to bash, please have the courtesy to be informed.
I used a 9000 and a 9700 from 2009-early 2012. After being away from it for 3? years, I wouldn't go back.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I used a 9000 and a 9700 from 2009-early 2012. After being away from it for 3? years, I wouldn't go back.
I'd feel the same if I was limited to a 2.4" non-touch device. Fact is, unless Google or BlackBerry comes up with a better word prediction engine, Windows Phone users shouldn't feel the need to switch. This phone could hurt WP sales but not because of the keyboard. There are glass-tappers out there who'll never be convinced to use a PKB and that's cool. But I have an issue with people calling something archaic or garbage before it's even been released or with zero prior experience.

sbtpdx

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
As for the Dell Venue Pro, that phone failed because it was hard to get. You could only get it from Dell's website and not many people knew about it.

Seriously! I had no idea the Venue Pro existed until I read this thread today. Had I been aware, I'd have jumped for it.

I finally bailed on my beloved Torch a year ago when the screen became too small for my aging eyes. At the time, BB's promises re: the Passport were unreliable. I've had a Lumia 830 since then. But for the inexcusable failure if MS and AT&T to release full Denim, I've been ok with the move to WP. But I HATE the lack of a physical keyboard!!!

At least for my fingers, and even with swiping, a message of any length (like this one) takes me at least 2-3 x longer than it did with my old slider. And my error rate is FAR higher.

I'm intrigued by the new BB, but am skeptical about the use of Android. Like several of you above, though, I'm glad BB is still trying. I would love to go back "home" again someday!

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Seriously! I had no idea the Venue Pro existed until I read this thread today. Had I been aware, I'd have jumped for it.

I finally bailed on my beloved Torch a year ago when the screen became too small for my aging eyes. At the time, BB's promises re: the Passport were unreliable. I've had a Lumia 830 since then. But for the inexcusable failure if MS and AT&T to release full Denim, I've been ok with the move to WP. But I HATE the lack of a physical keyboard!!!

At least for my fingers, and even with swiping, a message of any length (like this one) takes me at least 2-3 x longer than it did with my old slider. And my error rate is FAR higher.

I'm intrigued by the new BB, but am skeptical about the use of Android. Like several of you above, though, I'm glad BB is still trying. I would love to go back "home" again someday!

I'd feel the same if I was limited to a 2.4" non-touch device. Fact is, unless Google or BlackBerry comes up with a better word prediction engine, Windows Phone users shouldn't feel the need to switch. This phone could hurt WP sales but not because of the keyboard. There are glass-tappers out there who'll never be convinced to use a PKB and that's cool. But I have an issue with people calling something archaic or garbage before it's even been released or with zero prior experience.
Since the Priv is an Android device, one could also use SwiftKey, which I'm using now.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

aveese

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
this is so beautiful!!!
the side curves
the squared edges
textured back
colorful screen
physical keyboard a great plus
looks so elegant in that color

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Who is this retort directed at?

Just a generalized counter-rant, inspired by posts here and in other threads which elevate personal preference to unassailable principle. 'I don't like PKB's. I'm faster on a touchscreen. Therefore, PKB's are stupid and must fail Therefore, BB and Chen are stupid and must fail' It certainly is fair (if somewhat obvious) to note that the current market for PKB's is small and to question BB's strategy. It is interesting to discuss the wisdom of trying to enter the Android market through a distinctive device, in contrast to BB "going over" with another Candy Bar device. If I was going to buy an Android Candy Bar, I would tend toward proven manufactures and device lines, rather than chance a first foray. OTOH, there have been Android PKB devices before that haven't made a dent. None that compared to the Priv, though.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is interesting to discuss the wisdom of trying to enter the Android market through a distinctive device, in contrast to BB "going over" with another Candy Bar device.

The fact that this Android device is BlackBerry is a differentiator. There are a number of BB fans who still hurt from their "fall." That name alone, with a now vibrant ecosystem, might sell them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If I was going to buy an Android Candy Bar, I would tend toward proven manufactures and device lines, rather than chance a first foray.
A first foray would be one of the many Chinese brands popping up everyday. BlackBerry has been building smartphones as long as anybody with undisputed quality. Every OEM has their Edsel including BB (Storm) but that's the exception, not the rule. This is not an average Android. This is a secure Android and if it lives up to its billing, will be a watershed moment for Android.

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I still lust for the BlackBerry Bold 9900.
Bold 9900 is one of my all time favourites which includes Moto Razr V3, Apple iPhone 4, etc

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
since BB Is willing to run Android on it why not WM10, the irony with them going with Android is a Secure device running an unsecure OS. to me it make sense to run Windows not only because its more secure then Android but also a productivity device.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have a look at this very old Dell windows phone, It was a big failure

View attachment 113240
The dell phone didn't sell well wasn't down to the design but due to other silliness attributed to WP7 i.e sticking in a msd card would be become a part of the o.s. Basically flipping the secure bit on the msd card thus it wouldn't be readable on anything else other than readers able to read "secured" cards like the E71 for instance. https://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/microsd-card-use-with-windows-phone-7-device/.

Needless to say this caused a lot of confusion, I could go further about the other niggles however I don't want to re-open that ravine full of warms lol. What's done is done and no amount of typing/talking about it will change that.

However We do need more differentiating devices with slider keyboards be it portrait or landscape. I so want one of these running WP10...

HTC-Touch-Pro-2-1.jpgNokia-E7-00-7.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The dell phone didn't sell well wasn't down to the design but due to other silliness attributed to WP7 i.e sticking in a msd card would be become a part of the o.s. Basically flipping the secure bit on the msd card thus it wouldn't be readable on anything else other than readers able to read "secured" cards like the E71 for instance. https://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/microsd-card-use-with-windows-phone-7-device/.

Needless to say this caused a lot of confusion, I could go further about the other niggles however I don't want to re-open that ravine full of warms lol. What's done is done and no amount of typing/talking about it will change that.

However We do need more differentiating devices with slider keyboards be it portrait or landscape. I so want one of these running WP10...

View attachment 113400View attachment 113401

The TP2 and the E7. Excellent phones indeed.

njikoka noel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
The Blackberry Priv reminds me of my beloved Dell Venue Pro wp7. I still have it but it over heats when it's powered up so there is no using it for more than a few minutes. I'd love to see wp10 on a Blackberry Priv with a built in S-pen and Note 5/ Surface pro writing abilities. That is dream device.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I am a die hard physical keyboard fan. Been on Windows phone since early 2011 but I still use my Nokia E73 2-3 days a week so that I could enjoy typing work emails on that sweet keyboard. Give me a phone like the Priv running Windows 10 and I'll buy it the day it's released.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel