BlackBerry Priv has the design I was looking for on WM10

vjfratiani

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's an attractive phone, but like everyone else, ditch the slider and trust a touchscreen keyboard. It's 2015. How top-heavy would that be to try and hold it by the keyboard and type out a big email?

Actually, almost every hands-on account of this device in every stage of development has remarked how well-balanced and evenly weighted the Priv is. People are routinely impressed with not only how thin and light it is, but how ergonomically sound it is.

In fact, about a year ago, BlackBerry was awarded a patent for an innovative slider mechanism that recessed the keyboard when closed, allowing the design of thinner slider devices.

I applaud BlackBerry for continuing to innovate in the mobile space despite their very defensive position in public perception.

Last edited:

vjfratiani

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A BlackBerry-Microsoft partnership is LONG overdue.

These are the two companies in the mobile space that specialize in productivity and both have credibility in the enterprise space, yet struggle with market share.

I understand why BlackBerry has turned to Android, with a plan to build an only lightly modified edition of the operating system on top of their custom designed enhanced-security kernel. Simply put, they need to build market share in the consumer space to repair public perception.

However, this device running Windows 10 Mobile would be an ultimate productivity device. Imagine if Windows 10 Mobile had a few elements of BlackBerry 10 like the Hub (swipe right to get a unified inbox on steroids). It's a natural fit on Windows 10 Mobile to have a lock screen that not only has glance, but to have actionable notifications with a preview view like BlackBerry's lock screen.

If these two companies married their best features, they would create the ultimate productivity device. BlackBerry 10 is essentially an amalgamation of Android and Windows Phone design languages mated to a very intuitive gesture-based UI. I wish these two would put their heads together, but sadly, it's only a pipe dream for now.

I'm a Q10 owner dreaming of a Windows device that's right for me (like how I replaced my BlackBerry PlayBook with a Surface 3). The interim stopgap may be the Priv loaded with Microsoft's apps and services. Potentially the best of BlackBerry, Microsoft and the benefit of the Google Play app selection and services support.

It would be a pleasant surprise if certain rumors of BlackBerry testing the Priv running Windows, Android and BB10 all turned out to be true.

Last edited:

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
those who dont understand why some people stil want physical keyboard... try blind typing from your screen when responding to a text.

I was a pro with this when responding to a text message on my dell venue pro.
I would read the text, and slide out the keyboard and start one hand typing without staring at the screen as I walk. And before this, I was already an avid Sidekick user. typing blindly and accurately is what it is. Even swyping isnt as accurate.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The design is fantastic but I'm sceptical blackberry can do anything to the os, securing it as well as bb10 - though time will tell. But yes, I'm rather surprised at the design, it's fresh, innovative and, I think, attractive. Of course, the os has its issues, just like WP, but that's a whole other issue.

It's running android. Real android.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
those who dont understand why some people stil want physical keyboard... try blind typing from your screen when responding to a text.

I was a pro with this when responding to a text message on my dell venue pro.
I would read the text, and slide out the keyboard and start one hand typing without staring at the screen as I walk. And before this, I was already an avid Sidekick user. typing blindly and accurately is what it is. Even swyping isnt as accurate.

You have to admit though, swyping was awesome on 8.1 but now it's not that good on the windows 10 mobile builds

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how many people don't realize this keyboard has some "swype" like feature and can also be used as a trackpad.

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Pulled the trigger and picked up one to see if I will like this or return and torment myself waiting for the 950XL.

I don't regret.

The one phone to make me come back to Windows has been alluding. Guess I wait till next run of rumors and waits for Window Phone.

At least BB have a release date and delivered. And this phone is awesome.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Pulled the trigger and picked up one to see if I will like this or return and torment myself waiting for the 950XL.

I don't regret.

The one phone to make me come back to Windows has been alluding. Guess I wait till next run of rumors and waits for Window Phone.

At least BB have a release date and delivered. And this phone is awesome.

Well don't just sit there, tell us all about it! :grin:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
There are release dates in other places in the world for the 950 and xl. Just not in America since AT&T are screwing you around. I will just buy one internationally and enjoy it. The priv is an awesome piece of hardware as well. I have been eyeballing it quite a lot lately.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
There are release dates in other places in the world for the 950 and xl. Just not in America since AT&T are screwing you around. I will just buy one internationally and enjoy it. The priv is an awesome piece of hardware as well. I have been eyeballing it quite a lot lately.

True and I really was going back and forth and know I probably could have waited but I fell in love with it. The prediction keyboard is awesome and different from the normal swipe action.

The slide out keyboard acts as a cursor for scrolling. I mean there is a lot of thought that went into the product.

I was reluctant to purchase cause I really wanted the the 950xl but the build quality and ingenuity put in this phone is pretty nice.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am probably going to own both. I think I am going to have a complete google setup and windows setup...so I can have most of everything techy.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was at the AT&T store today to take a peek. I was surprised at how thin and light it was. As a BlackBerry fan, I was expecting more heft but it's much lighter than my Classic and only a little larger as for its footprint. Maybe it's me but I didn't feel the typical BB solid build. It was definitely quick to load apps, switch between home pages, etc. I don't know where the reviewers saw the lag.

Nice, for an Android. A second or third look will be required before I consider it.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I was at the AT&T store today to take a peek. I was surprised at how thin and light it was. As a BlackBerry fan, I was expecting more heft but it's much lighter than my Classic and only a little larger as for its footprint. Maybe it's me but I didn't feel the typical BB solid build. It was definitely quick to load apps, switch between home pages, etc. I don't know where the reviewers saw the lag.

Nice, for an Android. A second or third look will be required before I consider it.

I bet alot of "reviewers" had the article 90% written before they even held the device. ;). I was kind of surprised how well Android Central praised the device. So many positive Priv articles over there this past week.

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand the appeal of a physical keyboard.
Maybe back when on-screen keyboards weren't as responsive, but Word Flow / Swype are definitely good.
Physical keyboards add more weight, more physical parts (more susceptible to breaking), a thicker design, and a higher cost.
I don't think that this phone is innovative in the least. What does it do that hasn't been done before?
How do you put a protective case on it?
The keyboard/touch UI is reminiscent of the Windows 8 touch/keyboard experience; and while I found the latter entirely usable, it wasn't a great experience. The keyboard and touchpad in addition to the touchscreen UI make the whole thing just redundant.

Currently on a BlackBerry Q10, here is why I will only be getting phones with physical keyboards.

1. Wordflow and Swype will not do **** for original nouns (names, addresses, and numbers) that are not in the dictionary. For some professions who have to deal with original nouns, this is a very useful feature.

2. With a physical keyboard, you do not have to look at the keyboard since the keyboard has ridges that you can feel. This is useful if you have to have a conversation with someone while you are typing, or when you have to walk and type.

3. The OS can utilize always present keyboard to utilize keyboard shortcuts, so it is useful even when you are not typing.

4. Typing with gloves.
While this is not applicable for all, for people who have to wear gloves often, being able to type the buttons accurately even with the gloves on is very useful.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Currently on a BlackBerry Q10, here is why I will only be getting phones with physical keyboards.

1. Wordflow and Swype will not do **** for original nouns (names, addresses, and numbers) that are not in the dictionary. For some professions who have to deal with original nouns, this is a very useful feature.

2. With a physical keyboard, you do not have to look at the keyboard since the keyboard has ridges that you can feel. This is useful if you have to have a conversation with someone while you are typing, or when you have to walk and type.

3. The OS can utilize always present keyboard to utilize keyboard shortcuts, so it is useful even when you are not typing.

4. Typing with gloves.
While this is not applicable for all, for people who have to wear gloves often, being able to type the buttons accurately even with the gloves on is very useful.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

1) Not sure what you mean?

2) I miss this from the physical keyboard days.

3) True

4) True, have fun typing with one of these :winktongue:84666_BRIGHT_BLUE_LG.jpg

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
1) Not sure what you mean?

2) I miss this from the physical keyboard days.

3) True

4) True, have fun typing with one of these :winktongue:View attachment 115914

Original nouns mean words that are not in the Wordflow, Swype dictionary.

Word prediction and correction work only with words in the dictionary. However, names cannot be in the dictionary since there are just way too many of them. It is worse if you constantly have to type and work with non-English names. I am sure other foreigners can relate.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Original nouns mean words that are not in the Wordflow, Swype dictionary.

Word prediction and correction work only with words in the dictionary. However, names cannot be in the dictionary since there are just way too many of them. It is worse if you constantly have to type and work with non-English names. I am sure other foreigners can relate.
Yep, I can. My name is only suggested because it's already in my phone because of my email addresses. Otherwise, haha no. My first name is also spelled differently from the common way, and again, it's only in my phone because of my email.

If I have to send an email to someone who is not in my contacts, or a group even, I just don't do it from my phone. It only gives headaches imo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05