03-05-2016 10:00 PM
104 123 ...
tools
    Well the cards are out and the verdict is lukewarm. And I am taking about the new 950 & 950XL designs. I though I was alone on this but after reading many comments over the web, I realized I was not. Look the new picture by @everleaks show the actual phone and I will say; it does not look that bad. But I like many other would have chosen another design if we could.

Now, I've been looking into this new BlackBerry Priv and let me tell you this phone it's a beauty. That's the design many of us wanted. Now this represent a big opportunity and challenge to BlackBerry software wise. But they have the best of both world with this phone. I am not leaving WM10 anytime soon, but this is a phone to consider after its release and if everything hold up right.

blackberry-venice-conexion-usb.jpg
    blackberry-priv-android-slider-phone.jpg

What do you think?
    Do you like the Priv design?
    Would you rather have this design than the same old lumia design?

aXross and skstrials like this.
    09-29-2015 12:47 PM
    The design is fantastic but I'm sceptical blackberry can do anything to the os, securing it as well as bb10 - though time will tell. But yes, I'm rather surprised at the design, it's fresh, innovative and, I think, attractive. Of course, the os has its issues, just like WP, but that's a whole other issue.
    09-29-2015 01:00 PM
    Agree with the security issues. That is and will be one of the challenges for BlackBerry.
    09-29-2015 01:04 PM
    I'm so going to get this
    murtaza_p likes this.
    09-29-2015 01:29 PM
    Microsoft should of bought RIM!
    09-29-2015 01:32 PM
    Nice looking phone.
    I have to say the slider design to me is dated.
    libra89, aXross, jmshub and 2 others like this.
    09-29-2015 01:38 PM
    I still don't understand the appeal of a physical keyboard.
    Maybe back when on-screen keyboards weren't as responsive, but Word Flow / Swype are definitely good.
    Physical keyboards add more weight, more physical parts (more susceptible to breaking), a thicker design, and a higher cost.
    I don't think that this phone is innovative in the least. What does it do that hasn't been done before?
    How do you put a protective case on it?
    The keyboard/touch UI is reminiscent of the Windows 8 touch/keyboard experience; and while I found the latter entirely usable, it wasn't a great experience. The keyboard and touchpad in addition to the touchscreen UI make the whole thing just redundant.
    jmshub and Alexis-1991 like this.
    09-29-2015 01:42 PM
    Wouldn't the slideout keypad be useless when the phone is held in landscape?
    09-29-2015 02:36 PM
    RIM is giving you the option here. Yes physical keyboard has lost its appeal but there are still many that wanted the option. And now the have it. BlackBerry, physical keyboard and running Android. Let's wait and see.
    09-29-2015 02:41 PM
    Personally I prefer a phone without a physical keyboard.
    09-29-2015 02:48 PM
    I was never a fan of sliders. The keyboard adds bulk and weight.
    Guytronic, a5cent, jmshub and 3 others like this.
    09-29-2015 03:24 PM
    09-29-2015 03:44 PM
    This is the phone that will make or break BlackBerry. They've partnered up with Samsung to shore up the security issues with Knox and obviously Samsung has reciprocated with the "Edge" curved displays. If BB has truly found a way to secure Android, and that's a huge if, they may have a real winner on their hands and a viable threat to Windows Phone's Enterprise customers.

They've kept the handset thin and fairly light. Lumia 920 owners: not a peep out of you. Having owned the Passport I can tell you that the "mouse" function on the keyboard is a real treat so even in landscape mode you can use the keyboard to your advantage (Guytronic, that was for you). I'm sure this device will not be cheap so I won't be running out to get one.
    09-29-2015 07:01 PM
    I was really hoping to see a heavily-skinned Android with bits of Blackberry 10's excellent gesture-based UX in it, (the only time such modding would be acceptable to me) but it seems little more than just another stock Android phone a la Motorola. I guess BB Hub was too much to ask for.
    It's too big for me, but if I had to pick an Android, that would probably be it. A gorgeous piece of hardware, for sure. I hope they have the financial runway space to take off where HPalm just taxied into the forest at the end.

I am a relatively small fan, but a fan nonetheless of hardware keyboards, ESPECIALLY the portrait slider format, being an ex-rabid Palm Pre fan. (and to a lesser extent a fan of the designs of the BB Torch and Dell Venue Pro) They're fun to use too.

...I hope it has a mirror on the back.
    09-29-2015 11:54 PM
    I don't like the look of the Priv, and I bet it's pretty thick with that keyboard.
    09-29-2015 11:59 PM
    Would you rather have this design than the same old lumia design?

That is the old Nokia Lumia design. Rounded but sharp corners. I would've preferred that over the re-heated 640 rehash we got with the 950/950XL.
    Jorge Holguin likes this.
    09-30-2015 03:06 AM
    It can slide but can you swype? ;)
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-30-2015 04:57 AM
    Have a look at this very old Dell windows phone, It was a big failure

dell_venue_pro.jpg
    harihar akhil likes this.
    09-30-2015 07:27 AM
    This phone is a beauty.

Throw Windows 10m on it and i will buy it.
    aXross and horbeme like this.
    09-30-2015 08:34 AM
    This looks horrible and dated. Pass.
    09-30-2015 09:01 AM
    That device is quite stunning. Its got the professional, business feel to it, something reminds me of Thinkpads. It looks sharped but I love that curved glass that wraps the screen, which reminds me of Lumia flagships a lot (not the new 950 and 950 XL).

Now I wish someone in XDA could port W10M into it or better if Microsoft will partner with Blackberry and officially support W10M to be installed on Priv, just like what they did to Xiaomi. Best if they partner and just release Blackberry Priv with W10M on it, that would be epic.
    Now if it even got Continuum would be great, but unfortunately even with W10M it might not. Not sure if there is a specific special hardware to support Continuum or just having latest Snapdragon and other SoC is enough.
    xandros9 and vjfratiani like this.
    09-30-2015 09:16 AM
    Have a look at this very old Dell windows phone, It was a big failure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dell_venue_pro.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	113240
    The reasons for failure had nothing to do with the keyboard. The LG Quantum was a very successful WP7 device and it had a PKB and the smallest display of any 1st gen device. The Dell Venue Pro failed because it had a garbage camera and Dell used a cheap Broadcom chip that didn't support Internet Sharing.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic on Tapatalk
    09-30-2015 11:04 AM
    This is going to be worse for blackberry, remove that keyboard and then we can talk.. 950s' are way better.
    09-30-2015 02:54 PM
    It can slide but can you swype? ;)
    The physical keyboard seems to work as the Passport's which can have predicted words "swiped" up. On the Z10 this works great, even with 2 languages set up. But I haven't tried it on the Passport (except for 5 min in the AT&T store). Also, being Android, I'm sure it will support swiping as do most Android phones I've used ;)
    09-30-2015 02:55 PM
    The Priv looks nice, at least I like it too. I've been in the market for a new device and the Priv, Moto X Pure and the 950XL are in my eyes currently. Can't wait to see them in person! I haven't tried W10M but I like what I've seen in the videos.
    09-30-2015 03:00 PM
104 123 ...