Huawei announces Mate 8 in China, sporting Marshmallow and Kirin 950 processor | Android Centralmate8.pngDidn't expect this! Just saw an article on Android Central about Huawei Mate 8. Those phones look amazing! Looks like what L950 should've been...
    What do you guys think?
    11-26-2015 06:28 AM
    They do look good...
    Arun3 likes this.
    11-26-2015 08:19 AM
    One major thing is missing though, a removable beach cover.
    11-26-2015 08:30 AM
    That's a nice looking phone for sure.. Ms need to do some hiring hehe
    Arun3 likes this.
    11-26-2015 08:34 AM
    Eh... personally not a fan. I think it looks like a knockoff HTC One M8.

The design I am envious of is the Sharp Aquos Crystal. Reminds me a lot of the Zune's minimalistic hardware design and it would look so much more beautiful without ForceCloseOS on it.
    Alfa Kapa and libra89 like this.
    11-26-2015 08:35 AM
    I don't like it. Looks like a cross between a g3/4 (power button on back) and an HTC One. I personally like the way the 950 is designed. I came from the m8 and it's nice to not have a metal phone and a replaceable battery. I personally like function over form, but to each their own.
    Arun3, n7slc, TLRtheory and 2 others like this.
    11-26-2015 09:12 AM
    Better is debatable. This Huawei looks like an updated HTC One. Hell, replace the plastic shell with aluminum and the 950 would pretty much look like this. Better, in fact, because I think the full glass front on the 950 is more elegant than the top and bottom bands on this phone. And let's not forget that this is a concept render; that edge-to-edge display is complete fantasy. Even the Samsung Galaxy Edge features more of a bezel than that.

There are two things that would have improved with the 950. Give the front glass tapered edges like my old 920 and chamfer the front edge of the phone. I don't have a problem with the back, provided Microsoft offers a robust selection of colors and finishes.
    11-26-2015 01:08 PM
    Better is debatable. This Huawei looks like an updated HTC One. Hell, replace the plastic shell with aluminum and the 950 would pretty much look like this. .
    Agree. I am not going to spend $600 on a phone +taxes and another $50-60 to make it look pretty. Seriously! When you design a phone you design it beautiful; people buy ugly cases and make it look meh.. that's the norm.. ;)

theefman likes this.
    11-26-2015 02:32 PM
    Agree. I am not going to spend $600 on a phone +taxes and another $50-60 to make it look pretty. Seriously! When you design a phone you design it beautiful; people buy ugly cases and make it look meh.. that's the norm.. ;)

I don't think that was their mindset when they designed it. Function over form is a pretty apparent theme. Let third party companies handle the way it looks.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, you don't have to like the design. I personally do, especially coming from a 'premium material' phone (m8), it's nice to have a little function this time around.
    11-26-2015 06:13 PM
    One major thing is missing though, a removable "beach" cover.
    I hate how the sand just seeps into the Mate 8.. :P
    11-27-2015 01:27 AM
    That is a very nice looking phone, however I wouldn't sacrifice removable battery and MicroSD slot just for aesthetics.
    Skyway likes this.
    11-27-2015 04:05 AM
    I hate how the sand just seeps into the Mate 8.. :P
    Oh wow, well, note to self... double check each time so I don't mistake "beaches" for "backs!" xD
    Ed Boland, Arun3 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-27-2015 02:49 PM
    Oh hey another phone that attempts to look like a piece of jewelry that will stop getting supported after year two like every other pseudo-fashion toy in the market. Non removable back cover? Not a single **** was given that day.

"It looks so pretty and I appreciate it so much that I don't need a case, despite the fact my pocket lint will tear up the display and the back will get pock-marked with dings. I'll probably buy a case going against my word."
    11-27-2015 03:57 PM
    Oddly the front sort of looks like the 950XL, minus the microsoft logo, but similar bezel and cornering. This one is 6 inches though so wider no doubt.
    libra89 and Jazmac like this.
    11-27-2015 07:26 PM
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I suppose. Seems everybody at google likes MS design.
    First these ex google engineers came up with the Surface knock off The Jibe Ultra Tablet
    remix-ultra-tablet-3-640x480.jpg

Now these cats at Huawei taking liberties with the Lumia 950XL.

117419d1448540957t-mate8.png
    venki m likes this.
    11-28-2015 03:30 AM
    When will Microsoft learn things..
    1)They don't have good apps...
    2)No consistency in app and OS...
    3)No standard in developing apps.
    4)No attractive hardware design (am talking about the phone look)
    5)Apple does not have any initiatives till 6s .. They dont have any creativity...but still they are top because of the looks and apps...
    .... And these are coming from great windows fan and am using Lumia 930... Microsoft please learn to do good things... At least in next flagship... Not sure if Microsoft mobile development will exists are not in next year if windows 10 mobile going to be flop.... LOL.....
    Arun3 likes this.
    11-28-2015 03:58 AM
    When will Microsoft learn things..
    1)They don't have good apps...
    2)No consistency in app and OS...
    3)No standard in developing apps.
    4)No attractive hardware design (am talking about the phone look)
    5)Apple does not have any initiatives till 6s .. They dont have any creativity...but still they are top because of the looks and apps...
    .... And these are coming from great windows fan and am using Lumia 930... Microsoft please learn to do good things... At least in next flagship... Not sure if Microsoft mobile development will exists are not in next year if windows 10 mobile going to be flop.... LOL.....
    I was one of those people who thought the design was unappealing and will get the external case. But now that I actually own the 950xl and hold it and see it in person it's so much better looking. Yah it feels sort of like a grippy/rubbery plastic. But that's good, give it this feeling of sturdiness for such a thin phone. It's lighter and smaller than iphone 6 plus yet has a bigger screen.

The screen if you remove auto brightness is just gorgeous. A lot of reviewers are talking about the 950 being dim, that's because by default auto brightness is on even if you set the percentage from 25-100, auto will still adjust it. It's without auto that you notice the huge changes. Anyways, the one thing is continuuum has gotten good reviews from almost everywhere and people all see it as something of a start to the future. So i mean if MS can get the universal apps flowing in the next few months people may buy the phone. I do think the 950xl black looks better than the white. It really makes the full phone look so dark almost like some spy phone. It looks great.
    venki m, libra89 and Arun3 like this.
    11-28-2015 11:32 AM