Thinking of going from 950XL to a Nexus 6p

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The OP and possibly a couple of others who piled on, sound like they will have regret no matter what they do.
Bought the 950 XL I wish I bought the Nexus 6P . They will buy the 6P and always be looking over here regretting the decision and wished they stayed with 950 XL. Stay or go and regret will follow, no matter what.

Make a decision and commit, then don't look back - don't worry - be happy. Like mentioned its a phone not a life altering decision. Relax and enjoy no matter what you decided.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I've gone back and forth on this also, just feeling like $650 is a bit high for what we're getting, don't get me wrong I love WP's OS but... Yesterday I loaded Win 10 on my 640XL then updated that with today's new version, other then a couple little glitches its running great and battery is at 69% and its been off the charger since 10am(9:50pm now), damn good I think and probably will get even better after a few days when it really settles in...
So my thoughts are cancel my 950XL, stay with my 640XL running WP10 and upgrade when the official WP10 final version is released and decide after the holidays or early next year what I want to do.. Prices will most likely start to drop by then or even pick one up used on Ebay...

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Like I've said in another of these threads... I could never go back to Google. First of all, their unethical collection of information about everything even if you have no account with them. Second, I don't want to be a part of building the next Microsoft-monopoly (back when Microsoft was a "bad" company in the 90's). I rather shoot for the underdog.

Third and most importantly... I don't know anybody who don't have a problem with their Android-phone. Both hardware and software related problems... And since I'm a little technologically gifted... I'm the one who have to clean up their (googles) mess. I've got the XL and couldn't be happier. This phone is by far the best phone I have ever used including all android flagships that come out every 7 hours.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
"Coming soon" is not limited to Microsoft. You could apply this blanket term to every tech company. There's always something that they have "coming soon". You just want things "sooner" than they're ready to give you.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If you do go with the Nexus brand I think 5x is the better route. 6p apparently is not a very good phone but I only read some quick reviews and honestly I know how biased some reviewers can be.

I love the 950XL phone and w10 OS. Was comparing the size to iphone 6 plus at apple store and some guy there started asking about it and how nice it looks. The screen really does pop especially with my tile design/wallpaper. I realized while comparing that the 950XL is really designed almost to just be a screen. You realize how little bezel it has. And it's flat like a screen would be. It just felt like I was holding a big screen, the deep black makes it seem even more when the screen is popping out at you.

The camera while it is really good, I really am not a fan of the Microsoft camera app. I really did prefer the lumia camera but this phone doesn't have it. And I'm not a camera junky to pay for proshot as I rarely take images. Not sure why I was never a picture person. I guess I can always start and see if I like it now that I have the lumia 950xl.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft gets all up on your private business by default also. At this point all the corporations do no way around that now.
Hell W10 turns everything on by default...everything. That being said I love my XL and I also love my LG Stylo and I'm thinking about picking up a 6s+ just to have one. The only thing hold me back is finding a universal messaging app with good security. I've go unlimited music stream from tmobile so having a memory card is not a huge deal.

My son swears by the Iphone and gave his note to his girlfriend, so I figured what the heck I'll give it a shot again and give it a honest chance.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been a die hard Nokia fan for all my life and would never consider to switch to any other thing. But as we all know Nokia for now is long gone and MS has taken over. I love the OS but there really is an app gap and there is no denying it. Is it really worth the price tag to keep and 950 XL and just stay on this OS and always wait and say to yourself "coming soon" lol. If it wasn't for the good camera that the 950/XL have I'd probably consider jumping to a Nexus 6p. Any thoughts?

Nokia's only gone from the phone market...for now ;)

ANYWAY, I completely understand your feelings and concerns regarding the future (or lack thereof) of Windows Phone. And I honestly don't urge anyone to stay on the platform or even try it anymore. However, if you're considering to switch to Android (which I totally recommend :p) I would advise you to take a more serious look at the offerings on the Android spectrum and don't jump on the Nexus 6P just because it's a Nexus device.

Some hardcore Google fanboys swear by what they call "stock Android" (ie. Google's version of Android) and like to bash every single device that isn't a Nexus because it either has "bloat" or "doesn't look very Material-Design-y". But the truth is, often those "skins" that Android OEMs put on top of Google's Android actually enhance the Android experience.
Samsung's TouchWiz is the worst skin of all in terms of performance. No debate there. However you do get a plethora of additional features that you won't get on "stock" Android. The same goes for LG's UI, for HTC's Sense or for Sony's UI. They all add stuff to the Android experience that actually make it a lot better than "stock Android". So I do advise you to try out a few different phones so you get a better sense of the UIs.

And when it comes to the hardware, Nexus phones aren't exactly the cream of the crop. On the contrary, they lack a ton of stuff that is basically "standard" these days (as in, it's available on most Android flagships). And that's because when Google asks OEMs for a Nexus, they have very specific software stuff they want to showcase. The Nexus 5X and 6P, for example, are about the fingerprint scanner support on Marshmallow. That's basically what those phones are about. Kinda like the 950/XL are about Continuum except Google doesn't charge you extra to make the fingerprint scanner work.

So think well before you decide to pick up a Nexus 6P (specially because build quality apparently isn't that great with phones bending and that horrible visor on the back cracking out of nowhere). Don't let yourself be influenced by reviewers only. For example, folks at Android Central are great but they are way too biassed when it comes, for example, to Motorola (a company who has produced one of the worst Android Wear watches but that they praise to no end). Honestly, when it comes to Android, my advice is to try out the phones in store if you can.
As a fellow Nokian, though, I can tell you: when it comes to build quality, both Sony and LG haven't failed to impress me. My Z3C fell more than half a dozen times and not a single scratch. When it comes to camera quality, however, forget Sony. LG has the best camera on a smartphone currently. And there's a chance the G5 will have an even better once since LG entered into a licensing agreement with Nokia Technologies (the guys that hold Nokia's imaging patents, the ones Microsoft licenses to use on the 950/XL etc).

then again Sony did a great job of implementing EIS on the Z5

Nop. They really didn't. Not on photography. They do added SteadyShot for video though, and there the Z5 shines above the rest. But when you turn to the photography part of the camera, it's as crappy as the previous generations. Actually no, it's even worse because they've limited even more the so called "manual mode" on the Z5 to the point of it not really having a reason to remain there (not only that, they locked the camera2api on their phones so that you can't even use a different camera app).

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Nokia's only gone from the phone market...for now ;)

ANYWAY, I completely understand your feelings and concerns regarding the future (or lack thereof) of Windows Phone. And I honestly don't urge anyone to stay on the platform or even try it anymore. However, if you're considering to switch to Android (which I totally recommend :p) I would advise you to take a more serious look at the offerings on the Android spectrum and don't jump on the Nexus 6P just because it's a Nexus device.

Some hardcore Google fanboys swear by what they call "stock Android" (ie. Google's version of Android) and like to bash every single device that isn't a Nexus because it either has "bloat" or "doesn't look very Material-Design-y". But the truth is, often those "skins" that Android OEMs put on top of Google's Android actually enhance the Android experience.
Samsung's TouchWiz is the worst skin of all in terms of performance. No debate there. However you do get a plethora of additional features that you won't get on "stock" Android. The same goes for LG's UI, for HTC's Sense or for Sony's UI. They all add stuff to the Android experience that actually make it a lot better than "stock Android". So I do advise you to try out a few different phones so you get a better sense of the UIs.

And when it comes to the hardware, Nexus phones aren't exactly the cream of the crop. On the contrary, they lack a ton of stuff that is basically "standard" these days (as in, it's available on most Android flagships). And that's because when Google asks OEMs for a Nexus, they have very specific software stuff they want to showcase. The Nexus 5X and 6P, for example, are about the fingerprint scanner support on Marshmallow. That's basically what those phones are about. Kinda like the 950/XL are about Continuum except Google doesn't charge you extra to make the fingerprint scanner work.

So think well before you decide to pick up a Nexus 6P (specially because build quality apparently isn't that great with phones bending and that horrible visor on the back cracking out of nowhere). Don't let yourself be influenced by reviewers only. For example, folks at Android Central are great but they are way too biassed when it comes, for example, to Motorola (a company who has produced one of the worst Android Wear watches but that they praise to no end). Honestly, when it comes to Android, my advice is to try out the phones in store if you can.
As a fellow Nokian, though, I can tell you: when it comes to build quality, both Sony and LG haven't failed to impress me. My Z3C fell more than half a dozen times and not a single scratch. When it comes to camera quality, however, forget Sony. LG has the best camera on a smartphone currently. And there's a chance the G5 will have an even better once since LG entered into a licensing agreement with Nokia Technologies (the guys that hold Nokia's imaging patents, the ones Microsoft licenses to use on the 950/XL etc).

Nop. They really didn't. Not on photography. They do added SteadyShot for video though, and there the Z5 shines above the rest. But when you turn to the photography part of the camera, it's as crappy as the previous generations. Actually no, it's even worse because they've limited even more the so called "manual mode" on the Z5 to the point of it not really having a reason to remain there (not only that, they locked the camera2api on their phones so that you can't even use a different camera app).

Oh really I didn't know that LG entered into a licensing agreement with Nokia Technologies... Interesting.... Are there already some phones with Nokia on board? Anyone you can recommend?

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, I meant the video. The 6P uses fast shutter speeds and cranks up the ISO when taking photos. The HDR+ and large sensor take care of the noise. OIS is really not needed for photos on the 6P. Videos, on the other hand, would benefit.

Honestly, the issues with the 6P are just overblown. People are just repeating things they hear without even thinking about it... It won't spontaneously bend or shatter just like that. It is a solidly built phone. I stepped on one end and tried to pull the other end just to see if it would even budge, and it didn't. Seriously guys, its a good phone.

If you want extra features not found in stock android, things like the S pen, Samsung is obviously the choice. The new TW is supposed to be heavily scaled back, but I haven't tried it personally. If you are ok with stock android, the nexus 6p is pretty hard to beat.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh really I didn't know that LG entered into a licensing agreement with Nokia Technologies... Interesting.... Are there already some phones with Nokia on board? Anyone you can recommend?

No, Nokia's deal with Microsoft only expires this December 31st and Nokia's own plans so far for having Nokia smartphones available are geared only towards the end of 2016.
LG's licensing agreement with Nokia is the first one to be signed (you can see the announcement here LG Electronics and Nokia Technologies agree on smartphone patent license | Nokia).
Note I don't think it's a licensing agreement for LG to produce Nokia branded phones. I believe it's a licensing agreement in which LG will be able to use technologies from Nokia's vast patent catalogues (although, who knows, LG could be a potential OEM partner for Nokia...the terms of the licensing agreement are public and it could well go "Nokia licenses their technologies to LG and LG produces and distributes Nokia's smartphones"...That, I can tell you, would be a heck of a deal for both as well as consumers as LG products are top notch).
But no, so far there are no Nokia smartphones available nor LG smartphones with Nokia tech in them. I believe that the LG G5 will probably be the first one to come out with tech licensed from Nokia in them (as these licenses cost money, I don't expect other non-flagship phones from LG to use them).

But if it comes to fruition as I think, the G5 will be the first one and a beast of a camera phone. The G4 as it is is already the best camera on a smartphone (as picked up by users and independent reviewers...not Dxomark). Add to it the same tech that powers PureView phones and I think we can expect something awesome.
The consequence of this for Microsoft fans, however, can be either good or bad: good if it leads Microsoft to push imaging tech a lot more (the 950's camera is great but it's not ahead of the pack any more as Lumia cameras once were)...or bad as it may lead Microsoft to completely drop the investment on cameras and focus their future mobile efforts entirely on productivity.

(But we're getting way out of topic here I think...=P)

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
No, Nokia's deal with Microsoft only expires this December 31st and Nokia's own plans so far for having Nokia smartphones available are geared only towards the end of 2016.
LG's licensing agreement with Nokia is the first one to be signed (you can see the announcement here LG Electronics and Nokia Technologies agree on smartphone patent license | Nokia).
Note I don't think it's a licensing agreement for LG to produce Nokia branded phones. I believe it's a licensing agreement in which LG will be able to use technologies from Nokia's vast patent catalogues (although, who knows, LG could be a potential OEM partner for Nokia...the terms of the licensing agreement are public and it could well go "Nokia licenses their technologies to LG and LG produces and distributes Nokia's smartphones"...That, I can tell you, would be a heck of a deal for both as well as consumers as LG products are top notch).
But no, so far there are no Nokia smartphones available nor LG smartphones with Nokia tech in them. I believe that the LG G5 will probably be the first one to come out with tech licensed from Nokia in them (as these licenses cost money, I don't expect other non-flagship phones from LG to use them).

But if it comes to fruition as I think, the G5 will be the first one and a beast of a camera phone. The G4 as it is is already the best camera on a smartphone (as picked up by users and independent reviewers...not Dxomark). Add to it the same tech that powers PureView phones and I think we can expect something awesome.
The consequence of this for Microsoft fans, however, can be either good or bad: good if it leads Microsoft to push imaging tech a lot more (the 950's camera is great but it's not ahead of the pack any more as Lumia cameras once were)...or bad as it may lead Microsoft to completely drop the investment on cameras and focus their future mobile efforts entirely on productivity.

(But we're getting way out of topic here I think...=P)

Thanks a lot for the info I've always been a camera orientated person " my Nokia lineup was 3310, 3330, 6630, N73, N92, E71I, N8, 808,1020" Now I have this 950XL..... Worth to keep for the camera?

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the info I've always been a camera orientated person " my Nokia lineup was 3310, 3330, 6630, N73, N92, E71I, N8, 808,1020" Now I have this 950XL..... Worth to keep for the camera?

I had a lot of problems with my 950xl and had really no choice but to return it. I could not wait on the OS to mature. I'm going try the LG V10. It has some neat features like a second small screen that acts as a glance screen that you can interact with and one of (if not) the best cameras on the market with manual video controls even. If I don't like it, I was going to try the 6p next then the note 5 if I don't like them. The LG model doesn't have built in qi charging, but I found where you can add it on the cover or swap the cover easily.

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Like I've said in another of these threads... I could never go back to Google. First of all, their unethical collection of information about everything even if you have no account with them. Second, I don't want to be a part of building the next Microsoft-monopoly (back when Microsoft was a "bad" company in the 90's). I rather shoot for the underdog.

Third and most importantly... I don't know anybody who don't have a problem with their Android-phone. Both hardware and software related problems... And since I'm a little technologically gifted... I'm the one who have to clean up their (googles) mess. I've got the XL and couldn't be happier. This phone is by far the best phone I have ever used including all android flagships that come out every 7 hours.

In that case I'm proud to be your first! :)
I got the Nexus 6p and I'm happy to report it's the best phone I've ever bought both in terms of hardware and software and can't say I have any problems to report that would separate it from any other smartphone. I also find it a little disingenuous to accuse any one brand of having problems. They all do. Even the reigning champion of "it just works" has lost that title with numerous issues arising from their efforts to add new things to the iPhone.

Someone also mentioned something earlier that I feel is outdated thinking, and that was to say that "stock" android gets over-hyped by Nexus users because Nexus phones don't come with any enhancements that the OEM's add to Android. That used to be true but frankly that hasn't been the case any longer for a few years now. There are hardware and software features on the N6P that aren't considered "stock". To name a few:
  • Excellent Nexus Imprint fingerprint scanner
  • A dedicated co-processor to handle sensor related activities
  • Ambient display and notifications
  • Always listening Google Now
  • Dual front speakers
  • USB-C + rapid charging
  • Double click power button camera launch
I also strongly disagree with the opinion by a couple of people that the immediate updates and freedom from bloatware on Nexus devices are over-rated. Both are a wonderful feature in themselves.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

If the camera is the only reason why you keep on WP, then no.
The camera on the 950/XL is great but the likes of the LG G4 and V10 have equally if not better cameras in them. The S6 is also great although it lacks a full manual control suite. Long story short, Lumias no longer have the supremacy on camera tech. So you may want to take that into consideration.

Credo93

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend the Note 4. It is just a great phone. It has an amazing Amoled QHD display, micro sd, and it is just great :) ofcourse i came from a Lumia 920 so the jump would be bigger for me in terms of features (both software and hardware) and apps.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Thinking of going from 950XL to a Nexus 6p"

Considering the 950 XL's great looks, sharp camera, removable battery and SD card, I would personally never switch to such a phone. The LG V10 is one of my favourite 2015 Android phones.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You will find it difficult to adjust to Android because user interface of Windows phones are very standardised and user friendly. If you can live up with that then make the switch.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just returned it. I just couldn't justify the experience for the price I paid for the 950 XL. Now I am trying to decide between a Note 5 and a 6P. I know I will love the 6P, but haven't had a Samsung device since the Gingerbread days. I don't know if I can still stomach TW... Sigh... decisions, decisions...

My frist Android being S3 and being completely turned off by the experience (how poorly TW was integrated) and running to WP for a few years, Having taken the risk with the S6...I have had my S6 since launch and absolutely LOVE the device. The new Samsung TW experience is 180 degree change, everything is lightening fast and runs fantastic on Lollipop. The only negative is the battery life, with the Note 5 you would get a much longer life due to the bigger battery. If you have the choice to try a Note 5 out, i'd recommend it...coming from one skeptical Galaxy previous user to another the new Android experience is great. Just my 2 cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99