Moto G3 vs Lumia 640/650-Which should I go for?

TheAquila

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I've been planning to buy a new phone for some time now. Was waiting for the 650. I just saw the unofficial specs and that's made me reconsider my decision. I have 3 phone on my shortlist: Moto G3, Lumia 640, and Lumia 650 (provided the final specs are better). Which should I go for?

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion between 640 or 650,buy 640.
I think 640 now out of stock so Microsoft concentrate on 550 and 650 now so if available 640 go for it,
So as Good processor.
If you want Android then blindly go for it.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I HAVE the 640 since it was out and its a great phone,though I often feel I'm missing out because the specs aren't great,sd 400 and only gig of ram. I had been hoping that the 650 would resolve that but seems specs will be worse.I too am tempted by the moto g.In fact I have a 16gb varient reserved for me now locally with sd 410 and 2 gigs of ram. I am literally torn at this point,I want the Moto g with the better performance and increased apps,though I know I will miss my 640 too much.I love the frequent insider updates and cross device features of w10.I am even considering using both the Moto g and 640,but don't know how practical that will be.All I can tell you though is the 640 performs great on w10,although the software is still buggy at times

TheAquila

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion between 640 or 650,buy 640.
I think 640 now out of stock so Microsoft concentrate on 550 and 650 now so if available 640 go for it,
So as Good processor.
If you want Android then blindly go for it.

I really don't want an Android. But the new hardware from MS doesn't really warrant the attention (except for 950/950 XL) and G3 already out-specs the 640.

TheAquila

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I HAVE the 640 since it was out and its a great phone,though I often feel I'm missing out because the specs aren't great,sd 400 and only gig of ram. I had been hoping that the 650 would resolve that but seems specs will be worse.I too am tempted by the moto g.In fact I have a 16gb varient reserved for me now locally with sd 410 and 2 gigs of ram. I am literally torn at this point,I want the Moto g with the better performance and increased apps,though I know I will miss my 640 too much.I love the frequent insider updates and cross device features of w10.I am even considering using both the Moto g and 640,but don't know how practical that will be.All I can tell you though is the 640 performs great on w10,although the software is still buggy at times

I know that feeling. Since buying a L525 back in 2014, I've come to love WP more and more ,and really don't want to let go. If MS brings back 750, it would have been great. 640 is costs less than G3 here in India. That might turn out to be deciding factor.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Went ahead and bought a moto g 3.Not regretting it so far.Still have all my Microsoft contacts and calendar entries through outlook and onedrive and now I have rich new world of apps to explore. Will still hold on to my 640 to see how good w10 gets.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, the Moto series is pretty close to Nexus, but still not the same... It might be a decent stop gap device if you want to explore Android and have a good shot at long term official OTA and custom ROMs/hacks/etc.

I'm still a believer in Nexus as the best, most widely supported hardware by developers and offering the most flexibility with the best fail-safes and broadest array of customization options. I recently weened my wife off her Samsung phone reliance and onto a Nexus 6. She still loves it 6 months in and there are fewer times she hands me her phone to find a setting for her or address an issue.

I think Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 are still highly relevant and can offer you a great value. If I were to recommend a current gen, I'd push 5X over 6P: LG vs Huawei, SD 808 vs 810 with possible overheat issues and I simply am left cold by the styling of the camera module on the back of the 6P, also I'm a huge IPS fan.

To me the value in Android was always about the very things that are at the core of Nexus. Control over your phone, flexibility, the ability to deploy different configurations (like Xposed Framework Mods and MultiROM) or even different OS choices (Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Sailfish) and and the ability to mod and recover easily with toolkits like wugfresh's Nexus Toolkit.

Moto may come close, but no other series of phones will see the array of capabilities and long term support for major OS upgrades in Android as the Nexus series.

LG Nexus 5X vs. Motorola Nexus 6 vs. LG Nexus 5 - GSMArena.com

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I second what manus31 said above.
I also haven't got any problem with the moto G coming from a Lumia 730.
Also the battery life is top notch (6+ hours easily of screen on time, with medium to heavy use)

Front firing speaker and some useful gestures with the moto assist:
For example, you can double chop from screen off for activating and deactivating the flashlight (which by the way has really bright dual flashes),
double twist for camera (2-3 seconds without having to interact with the phone at all) and lastly when it is moved/ taken out of the pocket, the screen shows the time and notifications, again, without having to press anything rendering the need of double tap to wake useless (it doesn't have this function).

I first thought that this actions are gimmicky and won't work consistent, but I was completely wrong, they work like a Swiss clock and proven very useful in this week of owning the device. ESPECIALLY the flashlight and the shown time while taking it out the pocket. Motorola has really thought of them!

Also stock android has come a long way and it is a very pleasant experience to use but only if you don't fill it up with all the cr*pware there is out there in the wild such as task killers, ram managers, memory cleaners, antiviruses, etc. In other words, just install apps in logical reasons and don't fill it up with stuff that are promising huge battery or memory increases, they are usually harming your device.

And also the stock android is pretty eye catching in my opinion in contrast to pretty much every 3rd party skin on-top of android mimicking iOS!
(Because no one in his right mind wants a discounted iPhone) :p

I can say, with the amount of things done using it every day, that it absolutely worth the price-tag.

Again, I agree with manus31 on his Microsoft services,reasoning.
I have installed onenote, onedrive, word, excel and they all work flawlessly and sync without any problem with the PC and tablet, so you won't miss any of the services you already use.

FOR ME, if I had not purchased those phones and somehow had this knowledge and wanted a sub 160 euros smartphone for doing serious stuff RIGHT NOW, I would go for the motoG3. (Given in context that I live in a Country that Cortana is not available, if this helps)

Anyways the choice is yours, I can speak only through my experience with both OSs (as a motoG3 and a lumia 730 owner which is pretty close to the 640)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Get the Moto G please and come back after a while because right now, Windows 10 Mobile is an absolute mess. No-one deserves to suffer from a phone that can't even do basic tasks without crashing/bugs in 2016.

Also, many of Microsoft's apps are there too so you'll feel right at home.

TheAquila

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have decided to wait until March before coming to a decision. By that time W10M OTA update would have started hopefully. The only thing that's keeping me on WP is OS itself (well, other than the camera. I have used the camera on my friend's moto G2 and it's actually worse than my L525). If the OS is broken then there is nothing keeping me from getting G3.

TheAquila

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, the Moto series is pretty close to Nexus, but still not the same... It might be a decent stop gap device if you want to explore Android and have a good shot at long term official OTA and custom ROMs/hacks/etc.

I'm still a believer in Nexus as the best, most widely supported hardware by developers and offering the most flexibility with the best fail-safes and broadest array of customization options. I recently weened my wife off her Samsung phone reliance and onto a Nexus 6. She still loves it 6 months in and there are fewer times she hands me her phone to find a setting for her or address an issue.

I think Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 are still highly relevant and can offer you a great value. If I were to recommend a current gen, I'd push 5X over 6P: LG vs Huawei, SD 808 vs 810 with possible overheat issues and I simply am left cold by the styling of the camera module on the back of the 6P, also I'm a huge IPS fan.

To me the value in Android was always about the very things that are at the core of Nexus. Control over your phone, flexibility, the ability to deploy different configurations (like Xposed Framework Mods and MultiROM) or even different OS choices (Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Sailfish) and and the ability to mod and recover easily with toolkits like wugfresh's Nexus Toolkit.

Moto may come close, but no other series of phones will see the array of capabilities and long term support for major OS upgrades in Android as the Nexus series.

LG Nexus 5X vs. Motorola Nexus 6 vs. LG Nexus 5 - GSMArena.com

The Nexus 5X actually seems like a better choice than the G3. Both the G3 and 5X cost around 22-23K while 640 costs around 14K. W10M better be worth it.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
As a owner of a Moto G2 and a 640, the 640 does a better job, and is a much better value for the money. The Moto G3 looks very good; but it is also much more expensive than the 640. I would not even look at the 650 with the poor specs it has for the money. It might be better looking; but as they always say looks are not everything.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Having used the 640 since its release and the moto g for a week now. I would definitely say that theb640 is much more snapier. The moto g sometimes lags and feels slow at times Though this likely down to software lot of things going on in android and windows phone relatively light.

I am enjoying the better quality apps on android though and I still have all my Microsoft stuff.

So as far as I'm confident I have made a good decision in leaving my 640 behind.And Ill likeely get android 6 way before official w10

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
If I was going Android you'd have to get the 2GB ram version of the Moto G 3gen which is a lot more expensive than the 640. The 640 where I am is half the price or less. Can be got even cheaper 2nd hand. For me the 2GB Moto G is a much better device. But its a much more expensive device.

But its really a choice between WP and Android. I dislike the clutter on Android, but WP 8 or 10 still feels like beta software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12