02-21-2018 08:56 AM
115 1234 ...
tools
    It's coming today! I hope it's in great condition. I will be that person to set it up today because the return window for the Nexus is closing in about a week and some for me.

Xandros, you have been super helpful and I have a question. In your adventure, what did you do about your text messages and contacts? Moving to Android, I didn't move my texts because the only way is really complicated, and I'll rather not. Adding my Outlook accounts made it easy for me to have my contacts on my phone. I don't know if there's a way to forward texts from my Android to the iPhone, but still use outlook for my contacts.
    Last edited by libra89; 02-23-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    02-23-2016 09:52 AM
    Let us know what you think. I hear that the battery life is impressive. It's just really hard to find here, and even the older ones are $$$ (at least to me anyway).
    Will do it if do buy one! They are expensive here too, except a few models. Don't want to get rid of my 930 but damn, MS repair service is getting on my nerves.
    Last edited by P1ng0fDeath; 02-23-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-23-2016 01:25 PM
    Xandros, you have been super helpful and I have a question. In your adventure, what did you do about your text messages and contacts? Moving to Android, I didn't move my texts because the only way is really complicated, and I'll rather not. Adding my Outlook accounts made it easy for me to have my contacts on my phone. I don't know if there's a way to forward texts from my Android to the iPhone, but still use outlook for my contacts.
    Glad I helped. :)

Moving to iOS from Windows Phone, I didn't move text messages over.

Moving from Android to iOS I went though a simple but kinda tedious method to import my texts into my Android.

As for contacts, Outlook.com is my central location for contacts across literally all my devices. I set up an Exchange account to sync Contacts only with the phone and the Outlook app handles email and calendar events.
    02-23-2016 02:46 PM
    Xandros 9 your insight is appreciated very thorough review of these OSs. I've yet have to try iOS fully. But Android and this Nexus has spoiled me lol. I actually miss Windows Phone/Mobile I want to get a 950 or XL soon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Nexus 5x
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and xandros9 like this.
    02-23-2016 05:48 PM
    I got my iPhone, but they sent me the wrong one (the 5 instead of the 5s). Sigh. I'm starting to think that it might be a sign in hindsight. However, I didn't realize until after I set it up.

After a few hours with it, I can understand why you like Android more. I don't know if I should just give iOS a try with the right model I wanted (it was on iOS 9 though) or just return it and get my money back. I also now understand why so many people have said that Windows Phone/Mobile is right in the middle with customization, when it comes to the mobile OSes. iOS is nice, but the fact that apps that I don't use have to be in my face, is something I don't like. It seems like the only way is to put it in a folder, or else it will forever live (yeah I know this is dramatic, but I can see this as something that can possibly annoy me), on one of my home screens.

With Windows Phone, you get to choose what is on the home screen. Everything else is just in the apps list. Android, or at least with the new Nexus phones, there's an app drawer, so again, I get to choose what's on my home screen. However, I wish there was a way to make it simpler (Android, I mean).
    Last edited by libra89; 02-24-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    02-24-2016 11:51 AM
    Thank you for the wonderful insight, I have played with a Droid Turbo for the past 3 months (which Verizon paid me $50 to take) and have been miserable compared to WP. I just ordered an iPhone 6 plus as my next attempt to move on from WP for a little while, and now I have a decent idea of what to expect. One of the things I hate about Android is the NEED to customize it, so your take on iOS seems closer to my liking. Either way, as soon as MS gets off their lazy butt and certifies a flagship on Verizon I will be right back.
    02-25-2016 12:39 PM
    I can't resist! I'm going to flash the stock Lollipop ROM and see how it is. Too curious!

I'll report back... eventually.

My Alpha gave me a scare this morning. After leaving in my shower caddy, water must've somehow gotten involved and it went on the fritz for an hour. (stuck volume down button apparently, reflashing the recovery - TWRP, helped for some reason. etc.)

Welp, I'll see y'all on the other side. I think the important stuff's been backed up... I hope.

It's booting up now, I had to wipe everything so...

EDIT: My fingerprint scanner is refusing to work and I no longer feel like dealing with it.

I would have to jump through too many hoops to get Xposed working, but I could probably live without it.

It's a shame, the camera seems nicer. I know I'll miss those annoying *boop* sounds too.

I'm going to backup this install and restore my last backup. It was an interesting sideshow, but I think I need to go back. And think.

I forgot to try out the Blackberry stuff, but I'm not sure how well it'll work. The Priv's on 5.1.something and this is on 5.0.2. Not sure what the gap is.

EDIT 3: well my phone's in limbo still, my backup doesn't want to properly restore!

More to come eventually.

EDIT 4: Was being stupid, I was trying to restore data but my phone's storage was full!

I hope nobody needed to contact me. Going back to the stock ROM, I was a bit impulsive on jumping ship I'll admit.

EDIT 5: I'm back on CM13.
    Turns out my fingerprint reader was broken the whole time, and the TouchWiz ROM is vulnerable to Stagefright too. I did get to use the suite of Blackberry apps though, which were cool.

EDIT 6: Some things I forgot to mention was that the stock ROM had splitscreen functionality.
    It didnt hold a candle to Window 8's implementation but it was something.
    Last edited by xandros9; 02-28-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    02-27-2016 02:24 PM
    Wow. I'm glad that you got it worked out, that sounds really scary to me o_o Even though you had that experience, do you regret doing it at all? I mean the jumping ship thing. Are you going to stay with CM13, if you decide to stick with Android?

Also, I got my iphone (that was a hassle in itself, but it's not relevant here) recently, and I have encountered most, if not all of your observations. I ended up getting a 5c (it has wifi calling, which I need badly at work so it works) and it's really cool. I like how your observations kind of gave me a preview of what to expect in a weird way. I am debating if I should turn on or turn off imessage, since having an iphone made me realize just how many of my friends have facetime and the like. I mean, it's not all of my friends but enough of them have it to make me consider it.
    03-02-2016 09:16 AM
    I haven't jumped ship completely, but my main phone is a blu life one x. I was swapping sim card,but now added another line for my 640 to be active. Cool thing is that the life one x is dual sim.

Any who,I just wanted a new phone. The 640 proved that you can get a lot for little. The $10 moto e proved to me that android har come a long way... And in many ways, so much "smarter" of an OS than windows. Ok google works waaaay better than Cortana... Traffic alerta, relevant news, weather, speach recognition, etc. Feature benefits are just better on android.

Now, there are many things I miss about windows mobile... But I have all my Microsoft services on android so I was at virtually no loss.

Why did I jump... Well. Ir was not the app gap as I have been happy with windows.. Only social apps I need is telegram ans WhatsApp... Screw snapchat or any of that other fad garbage... If it's not truely universal, it will not be used by me. Any who, my 640 Waa just too buggy. Bluetooth requiring a reboot, etc. Yeah,I am on the fast ring so my fault... Yet... Android continues to move forward and is not the mess it once was.. With windoes, we are going through yet another reboot of the OS. I wanted something fresh,modern, and something that worked.

I was so pissed with my 640, I went to go buy an iPhone 6s... when I picked the phone up, it was just stale. It was the same as the iPhones from the past. I really dislike playing in the apple orchard, even though sometimes it is the best place to be. I new surly I would go apple over Google when the time came... Well, google showed me they are truely most innovative.

I liked the Samsung galaxy active, but Samsung is going more and more apple and I am not playing that game. expandable storage or no deal... Not paying tiered Pricing. Blu made me a believer in the end. Premium at a great /realistic price.

I am waiting for he surface or hp phone. A phone I truely use for work or give yo employees has my attention for my next phone. I all wait for Microsoft to get this stuff right cause I like what they are doing... They just need time.. I need Windows to just work.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    03-02-2016 09:50 AM
    Wow. I'm glad that you got it worked out, that sounds really scary to me o_o Even though you had that experience, do you regret doing it at all? I mean the jumping ship thing. Are you going to stay with CM13, if you decide to stick with Android?

Also, I got my iphone (that was a hassle in itself, but it's not relevant here) recently, and I have encountered most, if not all of your observations. I ended up getting a 5c (it has wifi calling, which I need badly at work so it works) and it's really cool. I like how your observations kind of gave me a preview of what to expect in a weird way. I am debating if I should turn on or turn off imessage, since having an iphone made me realize just how many of my friends have facetime and the like. I mean, it's not all of my friends but enough of them have it to make me consider it.
    I don't regret it at all, I didn't have to screw everything up, I did it knowing the risks and all. Other phones don't give me that option! So the freedom is refreshing.

I'm sticking around still - the only things to make me regret anything is the worse camera (probably combination of not being PureView, less than high-end and less than optimal software behind it.) and the existence of the Nexus 5, although I do like Samsung's design and removable battery here.

A reason I stuck with iOS for more than I thought was hoping for a jailbreak, but I don't think that has panned out yet.
    03-03-2016 01:47 PM
    For those of you with two phones, do you carry them both with you or do you swap the SIM card between them? Or do you simply have two separate phone lines?

I imagine the SIM card swapping isn't too practical if you use both of them regularly, especially as you have to disassemble the phone, not to mention get out of any cases!
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-04-2016 05:51 PM
    For those of you with two phones, do you carry them both with you or do you swap the SIM card between them? Or do you simply have two separate phone lines?

I imagine the SIM card swapping isn't too practical if you use both of them regularly, especially as you have to disassemble the phone, not to mention get out of any cases!
    Two separate lines, at least from my POV is way too expensive. Unless we're talking one for business and one for personal use.

For me, I don't carry multiple devices anymore, but the one with the SIM is the one that's going to see more usage.

Others are typically relegated to Wi-Fi only but then again they usually pull desk or drawer duty when I'm out.
    03-04-2016 07:12 PM
    Two separate lines, at least from my POV is way too expensive. Unless we're talking one for business and one for personal use.

For me, I don't carry multiple devices anymore, but the one with the SIM is the one that's going to see more usage.

Others are typically relegated to Wi-Fi only but then again they usually pull desk or drawer duty when I'm out.
    I figure most would be doing it that way. That's the way I do it. No point in paying for another line that will hardly be used, not to mention you then have two numbers to deal with.

I currently have an old LG Optimus F3 which I use to give me access to apps I cannot get, or are simply inferior on my Lumia. I will be replacing it with another low end Android at some point in the near future since I cannot sync my Misfit with it, ie have to use my iPad for now. Apparently Bluetooth low energy wasn't standardized on before Android 4.3. Also it has very little internal memory for apps, which so far I've been able to work around as I am not a games player thankfully.

I have to be honest, it's the camera that pulled me to, and keeps me with my Lumia 640, but since even low end Android cameras are becoming much better than they were, it's now less compelling to stay with Windows Phone as my primary, especially if the app situation doesn't improve.

Being a technically orientated person, I really don't find Android that complex, although I will say that there is definitely something kind of 'magical' about Windows Phone OS with it's live tiles and it's general layout that I find appealing. Sure you can mimic that in Android, but it's not quite the same right? I am definitely trying to stay in the Windows Phone camp as long as I can though, even if it ends up being just one foot! :)
    Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    03-05-2016 10:10 AM
    I figure most would be doing it that way. That's the way I do it. No point in paying for another line that will hardly be used, not to mention you then have two numbers to deal with.

I currently have an old LG Optimus F3 which I use to give me access to apps I cannot get, or are simply inferior on my Lumia. I will be replacing it with another low end Android at some point in the near future since I cannot sync my Misfit with it, ie have to use my iPad for now. Apparently Bluetooth low energy wasn't standardized on before Android 4.3. Also it has very little internal memory for apps, which so far I've been able to work around as I am not a games player thankfully.

I have to be honest, it's the camera that pulled me to, and keeps me with my Lumia 640, but since even low end Android cameras are becoming much better than they were, it's now less compelling to stay with Windows Phone as my primary, especially if the app situation doesn't improve.

Being a technically orientated person, I really don't find Android that complex, although I will say that there is definitely something kind of 'magical' about Windows Phone OS with it's live tiles and it's general layout that I find appealing. Sure you can mimic that in Android, but it's not quite the same right? I am definitely trying to stay in the Windows Phone camp as long as I can though, even if it ends up being just one foot! :)
    You have to do what works for you. For me, Android was complex because windows phone and iOS are very straightforward. I prefer for things to be that way.

Yeah I had a 5x that I was trying out. It has now been returned. I have my 640 but like xandros said, it gets desk duty. I use my 435 as a music device on WiFi only. My 5c is my daily driver. Trying it out too but I think I stick with it. I don't know how people carry around two devices on a regular basis, I can't. It's too much for me.
    I want WP/WM to win but things need to come together more for me.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-05-2016 11:03 AM
    You have to do what works for you. For me, Android was complex because windows phone and iOS are very straightforward. I prefer for things to be that way.

Yeah I had a 5x that I was trying out. It has now been returned. I have my 640 but like xandros said, it gets desk duty. I use my 435 as a music device on WiFi only. My 5c is my daily driver. Trying it out too but I think I stick with it. I don't know how people carry around two devices on a regular basis, I can't. It's too much for me.
    I want WP/WM to win but things need to come together more for me.
    I agree about carrying two devices being too much. I only use my LG in certain circumstances with my 640 being the Daily driver. That may change in the future of course.
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    03-05-2016 11:22 AM
    OK got another update here.

The Alpha has disappointed me with picture quality but that is mostly because of CyanogenMod not properly dealing with the camera or something. It's supposed to be a nice snapper on the back like the S5, but alas.
    I wish I had my 920 for some shots around.

I got to drive with this as my co-pilot.

It paired and otherwise worked. Although for some reason the phone would appear to play music but the car wouldn't pick up on it if it was already connected prior. A reboot did fix it, as well as something else I did without a reboot, so further experimentation necessary.
    The music app I use has an auto-play option upon Bluetooth connectivity which is really nice, although I still have to fiddle with it unless I'm starting off for the day.
    Music would cut out for a second or so every so often. It may have been a notification though, I haven't noticed it yet.
    I'm going to assume that neither is a common issue.

Google Maps navigation wasn't anything to write home about - it did deal with my missing turns like a champ though. Not saying "recalculating" is a huge plus in my book.

I don't think Cortana will read my texts for me, but I haven't gotten any while driving yet. She has surprised me before so here's hoping.

I have almost zero experience with Google Now as it is now. I did use it a bit some number of years in that awkward space between "a couple" and "a few" ago. (the phone was a secondhand HTC Aria on CM10.2/Jelly Bean) So I can't comment on it's capabilities thus far. Although I hear OnTap has some potential.

Smart Unlock is quite nice, I set it to disable the pattern (I use a pattern for security instead of a PIN. You know, that draw-on-the-dots lockscreen thing?) whenever the phone is...
    1. connected to a trusted device like the car I drive
    2. in a trusted location like my home
    It also has options like facial recognition, voice recognition, on-body detection which are fairly self-explanatory. The last one is quite interesting, attempting to infer from its sensors when its on your person and remain unlocked.

The person who does the unofficial CM13 port has added fingerprint support (a recent breakthrough happened on fingerprint support for ROMs-that-are-not-stock.) and it only confirmed that the fingerprint scanner in my mushy excuse of a home button was broken. (I tried it on the stock ROM) I have parts arriving sometime next week, but I'm not keen on the adhesive-melting I have ahead of me. Earned a 5/10 repairability score from iFixit.

In other news, I got nostalgic again and spent time fiddling with a Treo 650 and m500 I have lying around. I'm sad to report that VersaMail is dead to me. Although I did realize how much I missed that click of a HotSync button. And Outlook 2016 synced with them. Shoutout to pizzaboy192 for making it possible!
    The Treo still can be used as a phone on AT&T - it's Cingular-branded though. Close enough.
    The recent .122? build of W10M has impressed me on how much it has cleaned up since I last hard reset the 521 I use as a test device now. The Store isn't as unreliable as it once was which is very good. Maybe I'll be tempted back soon enough.
    Last edited by xandros9; 03-12-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    03-11-2016 11:44 PM
    Time for another update!

Recently, I realized the fingerprint scanner wasn't working, so I order parts and such to open the phone with. Unfortunately the adhesive used to hold the device together was, in a word, sticky. Too sticky.
    A significant time was spent with an iOpener and worrying I would crack the glass by being too impatient.

It didn't crack. Nothing broke actually, except the ribbon cable connecting to the old home button, but that was already broken I suspect. (and that was replaced)

Now instead of a matching mushy home button with a non-working fingerprint scanner, I know have a button that matches the metal frame instead, is still mushy, is looser and now can scan my fingerprints. I think that's a solid tradeoff. But I'm trying to sell the phone now. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think I need to downsize, get something with a better shooter, and the button irked me. (being as picky about details as I am)

I do now have my sister's iPhone 4 to play with, I think I'll make that my apps phone for here on out. iOS 7 is surprisingly not as restrictive as I thought it would be. Performance is as meh as you would expect though.

-

I got a Palm Pre 2 a few days ago. Mr. Morford of webOS Nation has had a chunk of his collection up for grabs for some time. (I bought a Pre+ from that same listing a year or so ago.)
    I even got a Tungsten E2 tossed in. Needs a new digitizer, but like other old Palm stuff I used it's so much easier to open and repair than any modern phone I've fiddled with. That is something I know for sure I will miss going forward.
    Except for the Zire 71 that is. That had a tiny switch spring that tries to fly to the moon at the slightest bump and getting the ribbon cable connecting the sliding parts together was a huge pain as well. Still beats that one experience with adhesive though. And I can put that back together as well as it was before too.

I did not realize how much I missed webOS. I also did not realize how many band-aids it needed to hold together in the years since. A couple webpages refuse to load, the clock app only can be set for weekends, every day, or weekdays. (and a patch to fix that ended up meaning my alarm didn't go off this morning)
    It's been interesting though. Foregoing easy access to Facebook and Messenger, sometimes inconsistent performance, unreliable browser, mediocre-at-best battery life, a camera that makes the Alpha's snapper seem like a DSLR and location services only a few steps above "SoftGPS" on PalmOS... but on the other hand, webOS. Hands down, the best user experience I have had on a phone, under the sun. (except for errors and other unintentional bad things - Blackberry 10's a runner-up, then Windows Phone 8.) I cannot get over the excellent design. From the mirror, sliding action, working with Touchstone... the cards, notification system, keyboard, Preware...

Parts are cheap too.

A friend has bet me that I would be back on a less-outdated smartphone by Saturday. Challenge accepted. If the Alpha goes, an iPhone 4 would be my newest phone.
    03-23-2016 01:47 PM
    So it sounds like you are choosing webOS, or is it just another contender? What about GroupMe? Also thanks for updating us!

Since you mentioned the iphone 4 as a possibility if the Alpha goes, what do you think about the iPhone SE? The price is nice, for once and it packs a lot of updates. Also, Apple has a thing that if you still have the 5s, you can get $150 in apple store cash/credit, and use that amount towards the SE. I just figured that I should ask since you mentioned that.
    tgp and Guytronic like this.
    03-24-2016 09:01 AM
    Since you mentioned the iphone 4 as a possibility if the Alpha goes, what do you think about the iPhone SE?
    I'm not xandros, but I like what I see with the iPhone SE, with one exception: the 4" screen. I'm using Android primarily because it is more economical than iPhone. If the price were out of the equation, I could easily switch. I'm no fan either way. I am as objective as anybody you'll ever meet. The SE is certainly within my budget, but there's no way I'm using a phone with a 4" screen!

The price is nice, for once and it packs a lot of updates.
    Few people will dispute that Apple writes the manual when it comes to updates. On the other hand, I feel that updates are in a way overrated. I do think, though, that WP fans see them as critical for closing the proverbial gap, and (often major) bug fixes, whereas iPhone and Android users look forward to them for new features, and bug fixes (which are usually relatively minor issues).

I like updates as well as the next guy, but if my new iPhone or Nexus never got an update, I wouldn't be crying (not very hard anyway ). I buy what I buy because it is perfectly suitable in the state it is in when I buy it.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    03-24-2016 10:21 AM
    I'm not xandros, but I like what I see with the iPhone SE, with one exception: the 4" screen. I'm using Android primarily because it is more economical than iPhone. If the price were out of the equation, I could easily switch. I'm no fan either way. I am as objective as anybody you'll ever meet. The SE is certainly within my budget, but there's no way I'm using a phone with a 4" screen!

Few people will dispute that Apple writes the manual when it comes to updates. On the other hand, I feel that updates are in a way overrated. I do think, though, that WP fans see them as critical for closing the proverbial gap, and (often major) bug fixes, whereas iPhone and Android users look forward to them for new features, and bug fixes (which are usually relatively minor issues).

I like updates as well as the next guy, but if my new iPhone or Nexus never got an update, I wouldn't be crying (not very hard anyway ). I buy what I buy because it is perfectly suitable in the state it is in when I buy it.
    I like that you answered, so it's fine. I agree about Android being more economical for what you get. Haha, I understand the screen thing. I prefer the size of it a lot.
    You have a great point about updates though. They are important to me, but I do probably overhype them. In this case though, I have a 5s and the hardware updates sound amazing, aside from the front camera. Even with that though, there is flash, which is something that my sister's s3 has had for years now. I'm on T-Mobile in an area that has band 12 throughout the state, and it hurts not to have a phone that has those capabilities. I run into low signal enough often enough for it to justify it. That's something I have never seen with the 5x, and the 640 since it has that band. Wifi calling saves me at work, where I already have low signal lol.

After that though, I might not care as much for updates. I know that I could have went with the 6s, but it's going to take a while for that to go down to a price that I can afford, since I want to buy it outright. The SE is already there, so I am so stocked about this! I feel weird writing this on a Windows forum but whatever.
    tgp likes this.
    03-24-2016 10:45 AM
    So it sounds like you are choosing webOS, or is it just another contender? What about GroupMe? Also thanks for updating us!

Since you mentioned the iphone 4 as a possibility if the Alpha goes, what do you think about the iPhone SE? The price is nice, for once and it packs a lot of updates. Also, Apple has a thing that if you still have the 5s, you can get $150 in apple store cash/credit, and use that amount towards the SE. I just figured that I should ask since you mentioned that.
    I have no idea anymore. I'm just making do with webOS for now.
    I set GroupMe to send text messages instead, although for some reason one of the conversations is not sending me texts, ah well maybe I'll bother support.

I'm a fan of the iPhone 5 form-factor and would definitely consider the SE, although the omission of 3D touch is a problem here, although I almost always don't buy new. I don't know how long the Pre will last, I know any use of the iPhone 4 wouldn't be too long... I have no clue where to go next actually so I'll just stay in this holding pattern.

I wouldn't give the 5S at $150 although that doesn't sound that bad for a no hassle trade in actually.
    Last edited by xandros9; 03-24-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    03-24-2016 01:37 PM
    I have no idea anymore. I'm just making do with webOS for now.
    I set GroupMe to send text messages instead, although for some reason one of the conversations is not sending me texts, ah well maybe I'll bother text messages.

I'm a fan of the iPhone 5 form-factor and would definitely consider the SE, although the omission of 3D touch is a problem here, although I almost always don't buy new. I don't know how long the Pre will last, I know any use of the iPhone 4 wouldn't be too long... I have no clue where to go next actually so I'll just stay in this holding pattern.

I wouldn't give the 5S at $150 although that doesn't sound that bad for a no hassle trade in actually.
    Ohh okay, I see. Either way, I will continue to follow your updates, because they are very interesting.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy new either usually, but since I'm down for the 16gb, I love the idea of getting my SE for $249 (full price is $399 or $499, based on size preference). I hate selling devices and getting that amount off is something I'm down for, lol.

It's going to be interesting to see how much other sellers (not Apple, not the carriers either, businesses + individuals) will sell this for though.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-24-2016 03:23 PM
    Hey Xandros, this is related but not exactly related. How have your friends/social circles/family dealt with your phone changes? I must ask because even my family was over my phone changes, and my friends noticed some of them, haha.

Any general updates on your phone adventures?
    04-08-2016 07:12 PM
    Hey Xandros, this is related but not exactly related. How have your friends/social circles/family dealt with your phone changes? I must ask because even my family was over my phone changes, and my friends noticed some of them, haha.

Any general updates on your phone adventures?
    Oh, I forgot! I had written a Part IV to add, since I got a 640 and am currently using it as a daily driver.

Well, in the past year I've gone through maybe eight phones? Most have been sold, but some are still here. My friends don't really mind although some have noticed the lack of iMessage when I switched away from the 5s. It has become my signature of sorts, and I think my mother isn't the biggest fan, but I don't think she's noticed too much.

I feel some people think I'm richer than I am, but I just deal with more budget-oriented/older phones and sell what I don't use anymore so it works out for the lowly college student I am.

But in short, yes, people do notice changes and point it out, like when I swapped my black cover for a white one when I fixed my broken 640's display. (more on that in a bit)
    I called it the "Micheal Jackson treatment," to the enjoyment of some.

I'll finish up my update and I'll put it out soon!
    libra89 likes this.
    04-22-2016 02:44 PM
    PART IV: Full Circle.

I think this warrants being called the fourth part because I'll just say all the posts in between was a third part.

But this update warrants it's own title.

In short, I'm back ladies and gentlemen! Well, for the time being that is.
    When I started the adventure, I was leaving behind an 830 and Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, as well as the then unusable state Windows 10 Mobile was in back then. The way I saw it, the future was bleak. I didn't see an end to this pile of bugs and oddities, and even now it still has some issues. How Microsoft has historically acted didn't make me confident, especially considering the pace at which Windows Phone 8.x was developed.

So I left.
    iOS wowed me with its solidity and app quality as well as selection.
    Android blew me away with its customization options, system stuff and numerous features I once only dreamed of, but neither really felt right. iOS did the job perfectly and fit in well with my peers but that was about it. I got Snapchat and a couple specialized apps, but I got bored, and I was fed up waiting for a jailbreak, which is as iffy as Microsoft fixing stuff. I enjoyed it though, don't get me wrong.

(and it wasn't until I really picked up webOS again that I realized how little I could get by on.)

Android let me stick my grubby hands into its inner workings. I didn't even use stock Android for my day-to-day affairs as a matter of fact. But I realized I couldn't afford to spend the time fiddling with the limitless possibilities on XDA. Figuring out whether a thing was compatible or not was awkward at times and the new launchers and icon packs got tiring. Combined with the unlimited settings, it was overwhelming.
    There was always some cooler thing to try, but eventually I settled on a launcher and layout I liked. Even then, I was disappointed that despite Android's open-ness there was nothing remotely like webOS's user experience. Don’t get me wrong on this either, Android has some great usability tweaks I will miss like continuing to press volume down to activate quiet hours/do not disturb and preemptively dismissing alarms.
    Those may actually tempt me back in the future, but for now, I’m going to sit tight.

Worth noting are the security issues that occasionally pop up on sites. These just rub me the wrong way, despite using a phone that's more up-to-date/secure than most. I’m not sure if I wanted to trade for the freedom like I did on my Windows PC.
    It's worth noting I saw news regarding Samsung KNOX as winning top billing across various services and whatnot, but I have been unable to lay my eyes on the original report.

And before I wrap up this section, I wanted to point out that as cool as Active Display was, the touchscreen was active whenever the clock and notifications showed up so that wrecked my experience with it. It would wake up the phone whenever the screen was touched. Glance doesn’t do that so that makes for a better experience for me.

During that time, I got nostalgic and picked up a Palm Pre 2 as earlier posts said. With it, I ended up learning how little I really needed in a phone. If you page to the beginning, I talked about a couple apps, all of which I either don't use anymore or realized I hardly used. Canvas? I access it exclusively from my PC’s web browser. Yik Yak? I just don't yak anymore.

Right now, my Pre 2 is used to play a game I like, titled "No Gravity." I play it on that because for some reason, the Windows version crashes at some semi-specific spot. It's cool how its universal though.

The big crutch though is that I have an iPhone 4. I upgraded my sister and it became mine. On the sole condition that it never be resold. So that's going to be my glorified Snapchat and bank connection, a couple important things I can get by with only sporadic use. (worth noting that its performance is unacceptable in some things, but I live with it.)

A few weeks ago, I couldn't resist that $30 Lumia 640 deal they had going, so I went out and picked one up at Best Buy. And I am impressed.
    I know I'm generally easy to please in most things outside of phone-land, (and heck, the Pre 2’s slider design and mirror placement impressed me.) but this means something.
    Interestingly, a WalMart I visited had Lumia 635's in stock for a whopping $108.

In regards to Windows 10 Mobile today: it’s usable! It definitely has some experience wrecking quirks but I’ll touch on them for a bit.
    I can live with 10 Mobile 10586.164 and .218, and that means a LOT.

I was impressed with .107 on a test Lumia 521 I had actually, which spurred my acquiring of a 640.

In terms of hardware, the 640 is a great device. It’s bigger than I’d like, but I’ll live. The 830 was slightly smaller than this, despite both having a 5” display. But this Lumia has this professional, minimal cleanliness that looks nice – courtesy of the clean face of the device which lacks physical keys.

On 10 Mobile, Battery life has been stellar overall, having once gotten 20 hours of moderate usage before the phone hit 10%.

The camera is much better than it's price tag lets on. I won't say it can compare to my old 920 in low-light, but it's daylight shots are definitely something.

Unfortunately, I cracked the glass in a fall shortly after. A week after that, the parts I ordered arrived, and now it’s good as new. Save for a missing chunk of the plastic bordering the display and a FFC that is no longer sealed against dust, it’s like new again. It also has a glossy white back cover now, which looks terrific! This may not be a premium smartphone, but it wears its polycarbonate very well.
    And as time passed, while the core of W10M’s experience was solid, serious issues began to come to light. Issues concentrated in a few major areas.

• Windows Camera
      • It’s Rich HDR feature was unreliable. Sometimes the camera got hung up on “Saving…” which results in the loss of the photo I tried to take or the missing of a shot I want. (sometimes both)
      • The “choose best lighting” feature is terrific, when it works. It works maybe 10% of the time though.

• GroupMe (an app)
      • While notifications worked on the 521, message notifications are utterly broken on this 640. Neither I, nor GroupMe support have figured out the issue.

• Groove
      • It’s pretty good and I love it from a design standpoint. The universal nature is a big plus. However it’s reliability is subpar. (sometimes the current playlist is lost, it plays a different song than it says, rarely crashes…)
      • But it can sort by Date Added now, which I appreciate to no end.

• Cortana
      • She crashes a lot when attempting a search. The Feedback section indicates I’m nowhere near the only one, so it’s nice to know it’s not just a fluke. But it makes it even more unacceptable.

• Windows Central (another app)
      • While the login issues where finally fixed, I found that replies I’ve written in the app did not appear when I revisited threads later. Now the reply button is greyed out. Ironically, I use the 8.0 app for my forums needs since the app seems broken again.

• Alarms & Clock
      • Once lost all my alarms after asking Cortana to set one.
      • Alarms are weird now.
        • I have an alarm set for 10:30 on Friday.
        • I change the alarm to instead go off at 10:00.
          • I set a backup alarm at 10:20 just in case.

• I wake up before the alarm and turn both off.
        • My alarm goes off at 10:30.

• Another thing is that sometimes the alarm dialog keeps coming back, meaning I need to hit dismiss twice or more to finally turn off the alarm.
      • I used to have the bug where an alarm would be set at max volume but be almost inaudible when it went off. A hard reset fixed that.

• Messaging
      • Messaging backup/sync is horribly broken and that should not be happening for as long as it has been.

Windows 10 Mobile has come together to be a fine OS. Although the bugs are ridiculous and I still would not wish it on anyone. (I'm just getting fed up with Microsoft's perpetual beta, especially after axing QA. They've given away one of WP's greatest strengths to save a buck.

And I'm particularly annoyed at how I have an issue that came to light five months ago in the Feedback app, was acknowledged five months ago with a canned response...and still no fix.)

I'm not sure what keeps me onboard honestly. I think its some kind of charm. Many of its apps are outdated or not working as well as they should, but the overall feel somehow keeps me around. I really don't have a solid answer.

But to talk about some more positive stuff...

The design isn't that bad.
    Glance is nice.
    Windows Camera is my favorite camera app ever, when it works. And despite not having a vast featureset.
    It's performance is great, despite the rare app crash. (not counting stuff mentioned above)
    Features are coming back, I can pin documents to my start screen now. I missed that sorely.

I'm going to cut this off for now, but I'll leave it with a TV show reference. A show I just finished a few weeks ago.

"Daddy's home."
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and mark233 like this.
    04-22-2016 03:14 PM
115 1234 ...