02-21-2018 07:56 AM
115 12345
tools
    Wow, I didn't expect that post, thanks for the great update! It definitely gives some things to think about. I love the idea of the iphone 4 working for Snapchat and bank apps. It really sounds like the experience has been worth it, and that you learned and realized a lot about yourself and phones in general.

Also your point about the apps being many on iOS made me notice that since I have had an iPhone, I find myself downloading extra apps that are free temporarily just because they sound interesting. A few days later, I see the apps on my phone and I delete them since I can't even remember why they sounded interesting originally.

The tinkering point with Android is something that I also find to be interesting. I can picture that. Even so, I still find myself wanting to try the Nextbit Robin even though it would feel huge over the SE.
    Laura Knotek, mark233 and xandros9 like this.
    04-22-2016 02:44 PM
    Wow, I didn't expect that post, thanks for the great update! It definitely gives some things to think about. I love the idea of the iphone 4 working for Snapchat and bank apps. It really sounds like the experience has been worth it, and that you learned and realized a lot about yourself and phones in general.

Also your point about the apps being many on iOS made me notice that since I have had an iPhone, I find myself downloading extra apps that are free temporarily just because they sound interesting. A few days later, I see the apps on my phone and I delete them since I can't even remember why they sounded interesting originally.

The tinkering point with Android is something that I also find to be interesting. I can picture that. Even so, I still find myself wanting to try the Nextbit Robin even though it would feel huge over the SE.
    I'd admit, performance on the iPhone 4 is horrible. Like I can live with using it every couple days, but not for any amount of daily driver stuff. I think I would take a Lumia 520's performance on 10586 over this one on 7.1.2 interestingly. Might be something on the fritz though.

Worth noting I don't get those fancy Snapchat filters.

And yea, size is still a concern, but the 640 taught me I could potentially adapt.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    04-23-2016 02:50 PM
    I'd admit, performance on the iPhone 4 is horrible. Like I can live with using it every couple days, but not for any amount of daily driver stuff. I think I would take a Lumia 520's performance on 10586 over this one on 7.1.2 interestingly. Might be something on the fritz though.

Worth noting I don't get those fancy Snapchat filters.

And yea, size is still a concern, but the 640 taught me I could potentially adapt.
    I know it hasn't been a month since you last posted, but I'm still curious.

Are you still using the iPhone 4 for Snapchat, and bank stuff? Still using the 640 on Insider? Any updates?

I agree about adapting, I adapted to the size of the Nextbit Robin really quickly, but it has been sent back. I wanted to love it, but there's nothing to love about that battery life. I loved how unique it was though, and it has me thinking if I should give Insider a try on my spare 435 that I use for media. I feel so torn if I should do that, or just try the 550 again. So much has changed in W10M since I tried it in December. Everyone is tired of my indecisiveness. LOL.
    Last edited by libra89; 05-19-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-19-2016 10:07 AM
    I know it hasn't been a month since you last posted, but I'm still curious.

Are you still using the iPhone 4 for Snapchat, and bank stuff? Still using the 640 on Insider? Any updates?

I agree about adapting, I adapted to the size of the Nextbit Robin really quickly, but it has been sent back. I wanted to love it, but there's nothing to love about that battery life. I loved how unique it was though, and it has me thinking if I should give Insider a try on my spare 435 that I use for media. I feel so torn if I should do that, or just try the 550 again. So much has changed in W10M since I tried it in December. Everyone is tired of my indecisiveness. LOL.
    Oh, I've actually been meaning to write another update, thanks for the quote!

Alrighty...on an unrelated note, I did get these Palm PDAs to sync with Outlook, which syncs with Outlook.com so its pretty cool how this old tech can connect. I also upgraded this m500 to Palm OS 4.1, 14 years after the update was released. Call me speedy.
    I also found out just how much I missed the days of pushing just one button and seeing my calendar or to write in a note.
    (Hint: A lot. Enough to make me consider using a Palm m-series going forward.)

I'm kinda sad ATT is killing it's 2G network. I would've loved to keep this Treo I have lying around alive for longer.

Anyways, I lent my Galaxy Alpha to an acquaintance who broke it. I got an iPhone 5 from the guy to compensate. That 5 has been handling Narwhal (reddit), Snapchat, banking and not much else. Still trying to sell the Alpha piecemeal.
    I'd use it as a phone but its unfortunately locked to Sprint and it doesn't have enough space so no dice.

But hey, a 2012 device runs great on the latest OS. Take that Microsoft!

The 4 has been largely retired. I might try to revert it to OS 6. I'm kinda bound by word to not get rid of it, so it'll stick around indefinitely.

Let's see, it's been a couple Threshold builds and hard resets since, what has changed...

Well, GroupMe messages are still broken for some reason, I'm not sure what's going on here. I need to see if other OSes have the issue.

I tried Redstone builds twice, which worked for the most part but were just too quirky and unreliable for my needs. The features added are nice though.
    Well, I've been keeping pace on the Release Preview ring and its nice hearing about all the bugs being squashed, but it hasn't changed my experience a whole lot.

I have a 5C arriving any day now. I'm trying to get rid of the 5 I can't use to cover most of it but nothing yet. (so if anyone wants to buy it :) )
    I also found out from AT&T support is that I'll have to call them every time I change from Windows Phone to iPhone if I want to use tethering. Which I guess was what I was doing before without realizing there was a pattern.

I'm having trouble dealing with W10M's unreliability, hence the iPhone again. (boring, and I WILL miss some features, but it's safe and reliable. 10 has let me down during some important moments.)

BEGIN LIST OF ISSUES. SKIP IF YOU'D LIKE.
    Do know that I have hard reset about five times in the past couple months. Twice using WDRT.

- Cortana still likes to crash when searching. Not as bad as it was earlier, but still irritating when I have to type again. I've found using Edge is a decent workaround. (and it also seems she forgot she could track packages on my phone)

- Groove is better but still has awkward quirks during use. (Turns screen off at Now Playing, when I turn it back on it's at Tracks/Artists/etc and takes a couple seconds before the Now Playing bar even appears.)

- Photo picker is still as unreliable as it was months ago. I try to attach, say, a photo to send as MMS and first Photos crashes, kicking me back to Messaging, when might crashe again, either throwing me back to the home screen or to the list of conversations. I've taken to opening the photo picker and waiting to see if it'll crash first before I waste my effort.

- I use Lumia Camera Beta and it seems the Choose Best Lighting feature is more reliable now but I haven't used it enough to say for sure.

- Between both Windows Central apps and Edge, I'm stuck with a subpar forum experience and I can't even moderate. Saw a spam post and tried to deal with it using Edge. (Since I can't do anything on the apps.) No dice. I did end up "liking" the post though, so I really showed them. I still can't post using the universal WC app.

- I was watching a movie on my phone last night. (The Departed) And a really minor issue really reared its head on this one.
    I got a text message and I opened the quick reply box to reply. I couldn't reply. The keyboard was unusable. It was like typing on an old, lagging iPhone for those who've had the misfortune.

Except unlike iOS, W10M never caught up, it just spit out gibberish as I slowly tapped on different keys (I'm talking a good second or two between letters) and it'd interpret every couple taps as a swipe from one letter to the next one I tapped.

Maybe it was the movie, so I left the Movies & TV app and went to Messaging. No dice.

A reboot made that issue go away. (it's always been there to a minor degree though)

- Swiping to the All Apps list often makes the keyboard pop up. annoying but not data-risking.

- EDIT: I also forgot, auto-photo upload broke for me/doesn't work consistently.

END LIST OF ISSUES. We now return to your scheduled programming!

The good things since though is that text message sync and backup works perfectly now (although it should've never been broken for as long as it was), I've got all the texts I've ever sent and received on a Windows Phone, and that's a HUGE step up over the iOS and Android implementations.

It's reassuring to see Instagram hit the platform and get an update. Not as much seeing Messenger has been delayed as much as it has. The outdated Messenger is hurting more than I'd expect. Subpar Microsoft offerings aren't helping either.

I'm still smitten with the option to pin documents to the home screen.

Battery life is still stellar. Overall performance is still excellent. If someone was looking for a smartphone with an unmovable budget of below $60, I'd recommend a Windows Phone.

Sorry if the writeup's a bit messy, I just wanted to get my thoughts down.
    Last edited by xandros9; 05-19-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-19-2016 08:53 PM
    Oh, I've actually been meaning to write another update, thanks for the quote!

Alrighty...on an unrelated note, I did get these Palm PDAs to sync with Outlook, which syncs with Outlook.com so its pretty cool how this old tech can connect. I also upgraded this m500 to Palm OS 4.1, 14 years after the update was released. Call me speedy.
    I also found out just how much I missed the days of pushing just one button and seeing my calendar or to write in a note.
    (Hint: A lot. Enough to make me consider using a Palm m-series going forward.)

I'm kinda sad ATT is killing it's 2G network. I would've loved to keep this Treo I have lying around alive for longer.

Anyways, I lent my Galaxy Alpha to an acquaintance who broke it. I got an iPhone 5 from the guy to compensate. That 5 has been handling Narwhal (reddit), Snapchat, banking and not much else. Still trying to sell the Alpha piecemeal.
    I'd use it as a phone but its unfortunately locked to Sprint and it doesn't have enough space so no dice.

But hey, a 2012 device runs great on the latest OS. Take that Microsoft!

The 4 has been largely retired. I might try to revert it to OS 6. I'm kinda bound by word to not get rid of it, so it'll stick around indefinitely.

Let's see, it's been a couple Threshold builds and hard resets since, what has changed...

Well, GroupMe messages are still broken for some reason, I'm not sure what's going on here. I need to see if other OSes have the issue.

I tried Redstone builds twice, which worked for the most part but were just too quirky and unreliable for my needs. The features added are nice though.
    Well, I've been keeping pace on the Release Preview ring and its nice hearing about all the bugs being squashed, but it hasn't changed my experience a whole lot.

I have a 5C arriving any day now. I'm trying to get rid of the 5 I can't use to cover most of it but nothing yet. (so if anyone wants to buy it :) )
    I also found out from AT&T support is that I'll have to call them every time I change from Windows Phone to iPhone if I want to use tethering. Which I guess was what I was doing before without realizing there was a pattern.

I'm having trouble dealing with W10M's unreliability, hence the iPhone again. (boring, and I WILL miss some features, but it's safe and reliable. 10 has let me down during some important moments.)

BEGIN LIST OF ISSUES. SKIP IF YOU'D LIKE.
    Do know that I have hard reset about five times in the past couple months. Twice using WDRT.

- Cortana still likes to crash when searching. Not as bad as it was earlier, but still irritating when I have to type again. I've found using Edge is a decent workaround. (and it also seems she forgot she could track packages on my phone)

- Groove is better but still has awkward quirks during use. (Turns screen off at Now Playing, when I turn it back on it's at Tracks/Artists/etc and takes a couple seconds before the Now Playing bar even appears.)

- Photo picker is still as unreliable as it was months ago. I try to attach, say, a photo to send as MMS and first Photos crashes, kicking me back to Messaging, when might crashe again, either throwing me back to the home screen or to the list of conversations. I've taken to opening the photo picker and waiting to see if it'll crash first before I waste my effort.

- I use Lumia Camera Beta and it seems the Choose Best Lighting feature is more reliable now but I haven't used it enough to say for sure.

- Between both Windows Central apps and Edge, I'm stuck with a subpar forum experience and I can't even moderate. Saw a spam post and tried to deal with it using Edge. (Since I can't do anything on the apps.) No dice. I did end up "liking" the post though, so I really showed them. I still can't post using the universal WC app.

- I was watching a movie on my phone last night. (The Departed) And a really minor issue really reared its head on this one.
    I got a text message and I opened the quick reply box to reply. I couldn't reply. The keyboard was unusable. It was like typing on an old, lagging iPhone for those who've had the misfortune.

Except unlike iOS, W10M never caught up, it just spit out gibberish as I slowly tapped on different keys (I'm talking a good second or two between letters) and it'd interpret every couple taps as a swipe from one letter to the next one I tapped.

Maybe it was the movie, so I left the Movies & TV app and went to Messaging. No dice.

A reboot made that issue go away. (it's always been there to a minor degree though)

- Swiping to the All Apps list often makes the keyboard pop up. annoying but not data-risking.

- EDIT: I also forgot, auto-photo upload broke for me/doesn't work consistently.

END LIST OF ISSUES. We now return to your scheduled programming!

The good things since though is that text message sync and backup works perfectly now (although it should've never been broken for as long as it was), I've got all the texts I've ever sent and received on a Windows Phone, and that's a HUGE step up over the iOS and Android implementations.

It's reassuring to see Instagram hit the platform and get an update. Not as much seeing Messenger has been delayed as much as it has. The outdated Messenger is hurting more than I'd expect. Subpar Microsoft offerings aren't helping either.

I'm still smitten with the option to pin documents to the home screen.

Battery life is still stellar. Overall performance is still excellent. If someone was looking for a smartphone with an unmovable budget of below $60, I'd recommend a Windows Phone.

Sorry if the writeup's a bit messy, I just wanted to get my thoughts down.

You're welcome! Thanks for the update! Hmm, it does sound like W10M has some serious annoyances for you at this time. I hope that it will improve.

I agree that the iPhone is boring and reliable. For that reason, I can't see myself selling the SE, if this week(end) happens to work out for me.

Sent from mTalk
    xandros9 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-21-2016 12:12 PM
    After being delayed + a trip the 5c is in my hands now!

For what is essentially 2012 hardware it's working quite well thus far, but we'll have to see how well it holds up in day-to-day usage.

I might be rehashing, but I still don't like iOS's lack of a text message sync and inability to display GIFs in the Photos app.
    05-28-2016 07:06 PM
    After being delayed + a trip the 5c is in my hands now!

For what is essentially 2012 hardware it's working quite well thus far, but we'll have to see how well it holds up in day-to-day usage.

I might be rehashing, but I still don't like iOS's lack of a text message sync and inability to display GIFs in the Photos app.
    Glad that you finally got it! That was my first actual taste of iOS. What color is yours?

Let us know your general impressions.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-28-2016 09:11 PM
    Glad that you finally got it! That was my first actual taste of iOS. What color is yours?

Let us know your general impressions.
    After trying to decide between yellow and green, I got the white one!

It looks great, except I picked up my white 640 when I meant the iPhone and vice versa at least twice. I realize the size is a big differentiating factor, but welp.

There are some minor gripes but nothing really different since I wrote about iOS and the 5s a while back.

Battery life is mediocre right now, but then again I just got the phone so I'll give it time to settle and give me time to set it up as I wish. But on the other hand, the 640 may have spoiled me.
    Also worth noting that the device is refurbished too, so that may or may not be a significant factor.
    05-29-2016 10:20 PM
    After trying to decide between yellow and green, I got the white one!

It looks great, except I picked up my white 640 when I meant the iPhone and vice versa at least twice. I realize the size is a big differentiating factor, but welp.

There are some minor gripes but nothing really different since I wrote about iOS and the 5s a while back.

Battery life is mediocre right now, but then again I just got the phone so I'll give it time to settle and give me time to set it up as I wish. But on the other hand, the 640 may have spoiled me.
    Also worth noting that the device is refurbished too, so that may or may not be a significant factor.
    Haha about picking up the wrong phone. Also guilty of that too. Apple has a good standard when it comes to refurbished phone, usually.

How's it been for you? Are you still using the 5c? How's the battery life been? Have you tried Windows 10 Mobile latest production build? Any general updates? I enjoy reading them.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-28-2016 10:23 AM
    Haha about picking up the wrong phone. Also guilty of that too. Apple has a good standard when it comes to refurbished phone, usually.

How's it been for you? Are you still using the 5c? How's the battery life been? Have you tried Windows 10 Mobile latest production build? Any general updates? I enjoy reading them.
    It's been quite good. I still use the 5c and it's been a good, reliable experience. I'm starting to miss jailbreaking but iOS updates though... I have to fight off the temptation to try iOS 10 too.

I do have the fast ring on my 640 so that's been fun.
    I've established it to myself that I can't stand 10586's seemingly inherent bugs so I'm just going to chill with the Redstone builds, tinker a bit and reevaluate the whole situation for fun once it hits Production.

Not too much new otherwise though.

In other news, I ended up with a boatload of professional graphics cards to sell for this nonprofit so if you need 60 of 'em! :)
    I'm trying to run them through the wringer as I speak, hopefully they aren't all broken.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-28-2016 05:03 PM
    I've got a small update this time around.

I picked up a broken Nexus 5 to repair and use. Parts should be arriving eventually since the first replacement screen I got was defective. (and they wanted to compensate me for my time and defective part by offering me a partial refund of $3.)
    Naturally I have to push back.

Nothing new in that for now.

I created a secondary email over at Openmailbox.org to use for some things and I found out that because the Windows 10 Outlook Mail app doesn't let us configure port settings and stuff, it just won't work. Despite being IMAP, it just refuses to work, acting in a similar fashion to all those "Your Outlook settings are out-of-date." errors it would throw.
    So I ditched the app and went back to Outlook 2016, spending some time to better configure it for syncing with some old Palm OS gadgets. (which was the reason I dropped it in the first place)

Well I added the email account to my iPhone with no problems, but it just will not work on Windows 10 Mobile's Outlook Mail app - although I should've expected it.
    I'll try it on some other OSes eventually but I just cannot use it on my 640 which is a big mark against the OS.

Redstone builds are shaping up nicely, but since I don't use it as a daily driver I can't really get a feel for how it is beneath the surface.

And Pokemon Go happened. Most people above 40 probably won't care, so at least that demographic is safe.
    It's a nice fad though - a phenomenon I don't think I've ever seen before. It dwarfs Flappy Bird and maybe Angry Birds I dare say. Microsoft's "business" "focus" regarding mobile is now involuntary.

And it's "yet another" knock against Windows, except perhaps overnight "yet another" app has become as important as Snapchat.

For whatever reason, I get Facebook Messenger notifications on my Windows 10 PC and 640 a few minutes after my iPhone and web browser get it. It happens more often than not which worries me.
    Beats my still-broken GroupMe notifications though.
    Messenger does work OK though. It's got the features I want although performance is middling.

Ironically my 640 gets Facebook notifications while my iPhone doesn't get most of them. Not sure what's up there.

The 5c's battery life is okay. That's it. Just okay. I'm still tempted by the Public iOS 10 beta but I still think I should still resist.

I've found out that I can plug in my iPhone directly into the family car via USB and it'll automatically play music which is convenient and valued by me. It usually forgets to "shuffle" which bothers me however. (and it'll charge!) Oddly enough this iPhone is significantly slower to connect via Bluetooth than any other phone I've used. (dating back to my 920)

In other news I upgraded my friend's Icon to Windows 10 Mobile just over a week ago. :) I don't think I've gotten any complaints yet!
    07-13-2016 12:46 PM
    And Pokemon Go happened. Most people above 40 probably won't care, so at least that demographic is safe.
    It's a nice fad though - a phenomenon I don't think I've ever seen before. It dwarfs Flappy Bird and maybe Angry Birds I dare say. Microsoft's "business" "focus" regarding mobile is now involuntary.
    I didn't think I'd have any interest in the game, since I had no clue who any of the Pokemon characters are. However, I tried it briefly a couple days ago. It's cute!

I'm not going to spend loads of time playing the game, but I'll probably check it out more this weekend.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    07-13-2016 01:36 PM
    I've got a small update this time around.

I picked up a broken Nexus 5 to repair and use. Parts should be arriving eventually since the first replacement screen I got was defective. (and they wanted to compensate me for my time and defective part by offering me a partial refund of $3.)
    Naturally I have to push back.

Nothing new in that for now.

I created a secondary email over at Openmailbox.org to use for some things and I found out that because the Windows 10 Outlook Mail app doesn't let us configure port settings and stuff, it just won't work. Despite being IMAP, it just refuses to work, acting in a similar fashion to all those "Your Outlook settings are out-of-date." errors it would throw.
    So I ditched the app and went back to Outlook 2016, spending some time to better configure it for syncing with some old Palm OS gadgets. (which was the reason I dropped it in the first place)

Well I added the email account to my iPhone with no problems, but it just will not work on Windows 10 Mobile's Outlook Mail app - although I should've expected it.
    I'll try it on some other OSes eventually but I just cannot use it on my 640 which is a big mark against the OS.

Redstone builds are shaping up nicely, but since I don't use it as a daily driver I can't really get a feel for how it is beneath the surface.

And it's "yet another" knock against Windows, except perhaps overnight "yet another" app has become as important as Snapchat.

For whatever reason, I get Facebook Messenger notifications on my Windows 10 PC and 640 a few minutes after my iPhone and web browser get it. It happens more often than not which worries me.
    Beats my still-broken GroupMe notifications though.
    Messenger does work OK though. It's got the features I want although performance is middling.

Ironically my 640 gets Facebook notifications while my iPhone doesn't get most of them. Not sure what's up there.

The 5c's battery life is okay. That's it. Just okay. I'm still tempted by the Public iOS 10 beta but I still think I should still resist.

I've found out that I can plug in my iPhone directly into the family car via USB and it'll automatically play music which is convenient and valued by me. It usually forgets to "shuffle" which bothers me however. (and it'll charge!) Oddly enough this iPhone is significantly slower to connect via Bluetooth than any other phone I've used. (dating back to my 920)

In other news I upgraded my friend's Icon to Windows 10 Mobile just over a week ago. :) I don't think I've gotten any complaints yet!
    Cool, will be looking forward to your Nexus updates. That sucks about the email thing.

Question: On your 5c, are you jailbroken or just using regular iOS 8/9? Looking into jailbreaking for an older iPhone, most likely the 5c. Not my SE lol.

You're a nice friend to do that for them!
    07-13-2016 09:29 PM
    Cool, will be looking forward to your Nexus updates. That sucks about the email thing.

Question: On your 5c, are you jailbroken or just using regular iOS 8/9? Looking into jailbreaking for an older iPhone, most likely the 5c. Not my SE lol.

You're a nice friend to do that for them!
    My 5c is on stock iOS 9.3.2. I also have never been on a jailbreakable iOS version at the right time.
    I do have a couple iPhone 4's lying around that I play with though.

Thanks! I also feel obligated since my 920 was most of the reason she got the Icon. :)
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    07-13-2016 10:13 PM
    My 5c is on stock iOS 9.3.2. I also have never been on a jailbreakable iOS version at the right time.
    I do have a couple iPhone 4's lying around that I play with though.

Thanks! I also feel obligated since my 920 was most of the reason she got the Icon. :)
    Ooh okay, I see. I think that is probably the issue that I will run into. Not sure I feel like doing a search for 5c iPhones on a certain O.S. only. Thanks for answering as always.

Random question, but does your friend use Facebook (regular and/or Messenger)? It seem like people in these forums that there isn't much that is desirable about it. I was just curious to know if your friend is dealing with it, or skipping them altogether.
    07-14-2016 07:14 AM
    Ooh okay, I see. I think that is probably the issue that I will run into. Not sure I feel like doing a search for 5c iPhones on a certain O.S. only. Thanks for answering as always.

Random question, but does your friend use Facebook (regular and/or Messenger)? It seem like people in these forums that there isn't much that is desirable about it. I was just curious to know if your friend is dealing with it, or skipping them altogether.
    Well, you may be able to find one by snooping around certain jailbreak areas or subreddit, I know sometimes people try to sell older OS phones and whatnot but they have a premium.

My friend does use Facebook, but I think she's more utilitarian with it/ok with the feature set. A lot of the features I missed were cosmetic and other "fun" stuff. She doesn't always have the phone on her etc. so maybe she doesn't care for it so far.

I did update her to the new Messenger and it seems she's doing fine. I've been worried she was concerned with "missing out" especially since the Pkmn Go craze is in full swing but not a peep.
    Last edited by xandros9; 07-14-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-14-2016 07:48 AM
    Alright the Nexus 5 has been in service for a bit now!

After some issues where I broke the camera and whatnot, it's now up and running on CyanogenMod 13 nightlies. They may have (temporarily?) broken my FFC so I'll have to check it later. I hope I don't have to replace it, although that'd be pretty simple to do. I suspect its software but eh. I'll live without seeing my beautiful face. I'm still getting to the bottom of why it isn't working right. It works but then it doesn't. I think I tracked the issue to Snapchat, but more as the situation develops... It appears the mere presence of Snapchat breaks the FFC. Very interesting... I guess its just bad luck combined with my particular software and hardware setup.

I appreciate the 5's easy-to-repair nature. I can swap out parts easily and it isn't a pain to do. (unlike the adhesive atrocity the Alpha was...) Parts aren't pricey too.

Turns out that the battery was just replaced in January so I got lucky with it I suppose. Battery life is okay. I would call it comparable to my 920, which wasn't bad either. My 640 still puts it to shame overall and the 5c wins in screen-on-time I believe. (despite not lasting that much longer I feel)

I've thrown in a custom kernel (ElementalX) so I got to fiddle with undervolting, underclocking and other CPU related things. Nothing crazy there.

It's been a bit of a pain but I guess that's what I get for buying a fixer-upper and running with fancy ROMs and all. The Nightlies system that CyanogenMod has setup runs at a pace that puts the Insider Fast Ring to shame. Although naturally testing is skimped on. (I believe its built and tested by machine automatically most nights) Hasn't been a major issue yet. If I feel like updating, I can, but if I want to hold off on it for a while, sure! Despite its nature, bugs aren't bad. And if I say it isn't bad, that's certainly something.

I've been putting Blackberry's suite of apps to use lately and I love it. I loved the feature in BB10, it's still awesome on Android, although arguably not as much.

I'll admit the troubleshooting is a downside and probably is made palatable because of my free time before classes pick up again. But on the other hand, its mine. I get to have it my way.

I'm not sure what's different this time around. I know I no longer worry about burn in. Eh, I'll write more as it comes to mind.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and Old_Mil like this.
    08-12-2016 05:47 PM
    I didn't think I'd have any interest in the game, since I had no clue who any of the Pokemon characters are. However, I tried it briefly a couple days ago. It's cute!

I'm not going to spend loads of time playing the game, but I'll probably check it out more this weekend.
    I'm certainly not much of a games player but I installed Pokemon Go on my LG K7 just to check it out while I do my walking. It certainly does make walking more interesting that usual (Even though I am of the age where I shouldn't be playing this game *cough* *cough*) but as is usual the novelty is beginning to wear off. That's not a reflection on the game but more my playing games in general.
    08-20-2016 08:39 PM
    I'm certainly not much of a games player but I installed Pokemon Go on my LG K7 just to check it out while I do my walking. It certainly does make walking more interesting that usual (Even though I am of the age where I shouldn't be playing this game *cough* *cough*) but as is usual the novelty is beginning to wear off. That's not a reflection on the game but more my playing games in general.
    The novelty wore off for me since I last posted about it, and I uninstalled it.
    08-20-2016 09:21 PM
    The novelty wore off for me since I last posted about it, and I uninstalled it.
    Same here now. I like to keep phone distractions to a minimum. The problem with games is that to really get anything out of them you pretty much have to devote a large chunk of your spare time which of course I'm not prepared to do.
    08-21-2016 11:04 AM
    Xandros, thanks for the previous update! I forgot to say that somehow.

You mentioned this in another thread:

After much flip-flopping I found Android to be the best fit for me, but that depends on the person. My best recommendation is to try it out for yourself, see how you like it.
    I must ask, are you still using the Nexus 5? What made you come to this conclusion? Any general updates? I think the same deal might be similar for me.
    09-05-2016 09:13 PM
    Xandros, thanks for the previous update! I forgot to say that somehow.

You mentioned this in another thread:

I must ask, are you still using the Nexus 5? What made you come to this conclusion? Any general updates? I think the same deal might be similar for me.
    I'm still using the Nexus 5. I got battery life up to a decent level now, it was okay already but now its improved after fiddling with Xposed and Greenify. Screen-on-time (SOT) isn't amazing but the Nexus 5 always had a mediocre battery life. I can't say undervolting and underclocking it has made a difference, but performance is perfectly fine. I'm really tempted by the 5X but Qi is mostly a requirement.

In a nutshell, the flexibility of Android is quite something.

I'm sitting on a week-old CyanogenMod 13 nightly as mentioned earlier - I did it because CM has a bunch of features I like and also because Google dropped support for it, and will drop security updates soon. (which makes Apple the only player with a "good" record in my eyes)

Photos can be auto-uploaded to Dropbox as they're taken, not just by using some Location services workaround or remembering to open the app. (iOS and iOS/Windows Phone respectively) Android lets me use the cloud service provider I want with minimal fuss rather than getting the only seamless experience on iCloud or OneDrive.

Android's photo picker can grab pictures from Dropbox, Mega and many other apps. iOS is limited to whatever's in the phone's memory. (and synced to iTunes) Windows 10 Mobile's photo picker just crashes. (but when it does work though, its pretty good too.)

I can switch out Google Now with Cortana and vice versa, so I have choice there. I did go back to 8.1 on my laptop but that's another story.

Unlike iOS, I can add Office documents to the home screen, which was a feature I missed a lot from Windows Phone and only recently rediscovered. (and I get my Google Docs too)

Android may get a bad rap for its security issues but I can take things into my own hands in a way. I can grab the monthly updates as CM pushes them and have options like Tor, a firewall, etc. that iOS can only dream of. (A hosts-based adblocker is cool too!)

I can theme the phone. I don't use it for more functionality than WP's light/dark toggle but the option's nice to have.

Apps, they're there, and WC Forums is superior on Android. My FFC is still flaky though, I think Snapchat's still not playing nice. (also I use Keepass as a password manager and it syncs it automatically unlike the app I found on other platforms.

The big downside is that it takes effort on my end to make it work as well as I want. With the iPhone and to a lesser-degree Windows Phone I don't have that control. And I know with the iPhone, Apple has put thought into a lot of its inner workings. And overall speed isn't as great as I had on my 640 (even when 10 Mobile was at it's buggiest) or iPhone 5c but it's "good enough."

I'll have more later as the thoughts come, there are downsides that make it less-great for people who don't care about fiddling with their phone or want something that "just works" with minimal fuss and don't value raw features.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    09-06-2016 11:37 AM
    Ooh okay. I believe you on that about the Nexus 5, and I agree about the flexibility of Android. That's good that your battery life has somewhat improved.

I agree about the photo picker, that is pretty cool. I think it's cool that you can do so much, front facing camera aside. I do give you props on willing to do the work there. I'm too lazy to. Curious about the rest of your thoughts, but once again, thanks for sharing, it's much appreciated.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-06-2016 02:10 PM
    @Xandros9 so about that iOS 10 update? Curious to know your experiences and thoughts there.

Some have felt like their signal has suffered (feeling like I am in this camp).
    09-30-2016 02:20 PM
    @Xandros9 so about that iOS 10 update? Curious to know your experiences and thoughts there.

Some have felt like their signal has suffered (feeling like I am in this camp).
    I just broke out the 5c for the next few days while my 5X gets here. (I gave in because battery life, Nougat, and that I suspect my DT-900 is on its last legs)

So more on that to come!
    10-01-2016 01:55 PM
115 12345