Which Lumia should I go for? Lumia 640 or Lumia 650 (or maybe 930)?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Saying me to buy L950 is as saying me to sell my kidney. Can't afford such expensive device.
If you can afford a 650 then you can definitely afford a 1520. They (AT&T unlocked) are going pretty cheap these days. Plus it runs WM10 quite well, in fact flagship performance...as long as you can afford the size.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Saying me to buy L950 is as saying me to sell my kidney. Can't afford such expensive device.
Buy what you're comfortable with buying. That's why there is a range of them out there. Good luck! :)

PS - I agree with pankaj981 - the 1520 is a worthy device, even used, if you want to get a device that is powerful enough to keep up with the 950/950XL in the majority of its functions.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Have not used a 650, but I have used and continue to use a 640. Camera is good for the price, but not outstanding. It is definitely better than the 520 camera (which I have owned and used extensively). One of the issue I am facing with the camera is that the W10 camera app (or is it firmware?) seems to prefer higher sharpening than in the past, meaning jaggy edges on things and images that look good on the small screen but not when you move to a bigger screen. My default camera app is still Proshot, which is due for a W10 update fairly soon. Proshot seems to provide less sharpening, richer images (due to more exposure), and a better look when enlarged--not necessarily when viewed on the phone screen. However, the current version of Proshot is laggy and sometimes fails to save the shot taken, plus for some reason it is slower to upload to OneDrive. If you're in the USA I think you can still get 640s for under $30 at BestBuy so you can try one out for very little investment. There is nothing that can touch it at the price.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
This is where I get stuck about choosing between a 650 and a 830. I will wait for a month for better review for camera of 650. As I stated above, I am trying to differentiate between latest technology vs old technology but better camera lens.

Tough decision considering you are comparing old to new, for me the lack of OIS (640/650) and 1080p video recording on the 650 kills it, rarely use front facing cameras on any device so that’s not even a concern in my camp. Own the 830 and if it weren’t for the quirks, not indicative of all 830s, I’d say it would be my phone of choice out of the three even for its age, nice size, design and reasonable performance running W8.1 IMO… Can’t comment much on W10M as earlier builds haven't panned out that well for me, could be my phone will never be able to run it decently and only time will tell.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
If you're even considering 930 you might as well play lottery. Some people are still running into new hardware issues with their units (me included).

mosharraf96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Have not used a 650, but I have used and continue to use a 640. Camera is good for the price, but not outstanding. It is definitely better than the 520 camera (which I have owned and used extensively). One of the issue I am facing with the camera is that the W10 camera app (or is it firmware?) seems to prefer higher sharpening than in the past, meaning jaggy edges on things and images that look good on the small screen but not when you move to a bigger screen. My default camera app is still Proshot, which is due for a W10 update fairly soon. Proshot seems to provide less sharpening, richer images (due to more exposure), and a better look when enlarged--not necessarily when viewed on the phone screen. However, the current version of Proshot is laggy and sometimes fails to save the shot taken, plus for some reason it is slower to upload to OneDrive. If you're in the USA I think you can still get 640s for under $30 at BestBuy so you can try one out for very little investment. There is nothing that can touch it at the price.

Another question comes into mind is that will it be worth to upgrade to Windows 10 with such money. I mean how polished and new features it might have. The only thing I hear about is continuum and Cortona, which I might never use.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The 650 (16GB) or 930 (32GB) any day over 8Gb 640. Trust me, that system and reserved memory keeps building up thanks to OS caching, and on the 8GB variant you'll run out of internal memory in just a couple of months.

mosharraf96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
So today the price of Microsoft Lumia 650 was announced in my country and it is 19,500 BDT (250 USD). I thought the price will be 200$. What is Microsoft thinking? I waited so long and they disappointed their loyal customers. Now I am being forced to switch to Android by Microsoft itself. Even local phone makers in my country have better business strategy than Microsoft. Greatly disappointed by such reputed company. I may buy a Windows phone if they do price cut or rollout better device with low price.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^^ Nokia have always screwed prices. If you dont believe the handset is worth the price, then look for an alternative. Android has better value these days..

polaromonas

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If you're even considering 930 you might as well play lottery. Some people are still running into new hardware issues with their units (me included).

I have the 930 and I wouldn't recommend it. The battery life on this thing sucks so much that it pushed me to convert to the iPhone. I pop my SIM back every time there's OS update but so far nothing's changed. People complain that iPhone 6 has bad battery life, but I can use it all day. The 930 is abysmal, the Messenger+Skype app drains battery like crazy.

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
my suggestion is if you want a 5 "good phone processor, camera 13 megapixels, good purchase price, But is not Lumia is SAMSUNG ATIV SE good battery, here on windows central how to upgrade WP10 easy and the price around $100 dlls new 16 gb memory, Super Amoled screen.

Davis P B

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I think you should get the L830. It is much more premium looking that the L650 and it still is the best looking WP IMO. I am using the L830 and with the latest W10 update, its like an all new phone.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
So today the price of Microsoft Lumia 650 was announced in my country and it is 19,500 BDT (250 USD). I thought the price will be 200$. What is Microsoft thinking? I waited so long and they disappointed their loyal customers. Now I am being forced to switch to Android by Microsoft itself. Even local phone makers in my country have better business strategy than Microsoft. Greatly disappointed by such reputed company. I may buy a Windows phone if they do price cut or rollout better device with low price.

At least you're not in NZ - the 550 goes for $250 and the 650 is likely to be close to $350. My 735 was $600 when it was first released, and only just started selling on clearance at $199.

The 950XL goes for almost $1200.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I own the 640 but I haven't been using it in the last few months since I got a Lumia 950. I would suggest the 640 to anyone wanting an affordable windows phone. It always worked great for me. The camera is fairly OK, but if you really want good snaps you'll want to go with the 930. I assume the 650's main benefit is it's design, but I would suggest checking the Qualcomm site for details on the differences between the processors. I believe they have the same number of cores and architecture, but don't quote me on that.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Some of you can always shop from the US for a cheaper price and then forward the package to your country using a package forwarding service like Shop US Stores and Ship Internationally | comGateway

I haven't personally tried it but I have read posts from members using similar services.

I tried that when i bought my Lumia 900; i didn't read the fine print and had to pay an extra $300 in tax and import duties ;) The phone was held at customs until the fees were paid. Sucks to be so far out of the loop with consumer electronics, we get things too late, heavily taxed and sold for twice the price they should be.

BenLumia

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Hey sorry for the delayed answer, i would say Battery is not that bad..... For example: I charge my phone at 11PM to 100%, and it can keep up for 1 day and half. I use Wi-Fi very often, plays Musics and games, still ringing... So it's not that bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05